Start by marking “Atkins for Life: The Complete Controlled Carb Program for Permanent Weight Loss and Good Health” as Want to Read:

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  301 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Taking It To The Next Level

Whether you've lost weight doing Atkins and want to make your success permanent or you're new to Atkins and are concerned about your health and weight control, Atkins for Life is for you. Filled with advice and tips on navigating the everyday challenges that come with eating low carb in a high carb world, the book provides a simple and straightfo
Published April 1st 2007 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Atkins for Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Atkins for Life

Cara
Food: Socially acceptable substance abuse. People whine about eating a controlled-carb diet but that's because they feel like they deserve to eat whatever they want. I believe I don't deserve anything and that my body is on loan from someone who wants it in optimal condition. Atkins... Easy.
Teri Stich
Recently, this book can across my desk as a donation. I, as with most of the people I know, need to lose a couple of pounds the winter has added to my frame, so thought I’d give it a read. I have not read the previous Atkins, so I don’t know if this continues where they left off (as it seems) or whether the premise has changed. This “Diet” actually makes sense in many ways. The focus is on reducing/eliminating processed foods, extra sugar and other things we all know are not good things. While ...more
Stacie
Mar 25, 2008 Stacie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-helpish
Offers a great explanation of the fact that Atkins is really a permanent lifestyle... NOT just a diet you do until you reach your goal weight. For those starting out, you really need to read "New Diet Revolution" first... but "Atkins for Life" is great as you prepare to move through the phases.
Daylene
Well, I'm still fat, so apparently you have to APPLY the self-help book to your life in order to benefit from it. That sucks! LOL
Roxane
Nov 02, 2015 Roxane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Am not sure the program is do-able for me (at least for a life time) - but does provide a lot of common sense info re: eating healthy...
Jostalady
I gave it a full two weeks. I was melting away fat, I loved what I was eating, I felt great and then I tried to cheat and have my favorite Starbuck's mocha. It did not taste at all like it should, it was awful! To make sure it was the new diet and not a barista in training, I bought a quality controlled liter of Moutain Dew with the same awful results. Is life worth living if you can't cheat on your diet and enjoy it? It took a few weeks before chocolate tasted good again and I never looked back ...more
Kathy
Nov 13, 2015 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
read first part and need to do this. life depends on it.
Lyndsay
I did the Atkins diet several years back & lost over 50 pounds on it. It really does work. However, it is not something I could do for the rest of my life and once I went off, I gained everything back. I'm now on Weight Watchers & lost 45 pounds on that (then got pregnant and am now starting over). But, I can do WW for the rest of my life and not feel deprived, I couldn't say the same for Atkins.
Kathy McC
Jan 19, 2013 Kathy McC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A significant amount of information about a healthy lifestyle. Not nearly as "scary" as his early books. "Low carbs" didn't sound quite as negative and depressing as it seemed.
Gita
Jun 22, 2008 Gita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anybody who had tried every other diet
It really works, but it made my groceries bill sooo expensive. I haven't been able to do it again, I love CARBS : sangu panas jeung sambel jeung lauk asin.. YUM!!
Mary Chambers
Mar 21, 2012 Mary Chambers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the information and tips to be very helpful. The recipes, generally speaking, didn't appeal to me. I'll try some of them again, though.
Carol
Jan 28, 2013 Carol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nothing new here. I have read most of the Atkins books and I think they are now just recycling the same information. Not worth the price.
Kathryn
Dec 21, 2013 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars-liked
A very informative and helpful book. Everything is explained in a way that makes it very easy to understand.
Kaz
Aug 20, 2012 Kaz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good information about controll carb living Atkins comes and go's but is all way's around , good to revisit .
Heather
Works if you FEEL like STARVING to death! Horrible Way to live!!!!!!!! Unhealthy!
Paul Stonge
Jul 10, 2011 Paul Stonge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good information about controll carb living ,helped alot with fitness goals
Aug 24, 2008 Jennifer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I never actually finished this one. I don't want to do low carb forever.
Martin
Jan 19, 2008 Martin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tolerably well explained introduction to the diet
Subject900
nothing new. same stuff from previous books repackaged.
Trisha Ryan
Trisha Ryan marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Nani Sapeda
Nani Sapeda rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2016
v ward
v ward rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Tohoki Tobav
Tohoki Tobav marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
M
M rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Trish
Trish marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Vicki
Vicki rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2016
  • The Sonoma Diet: Trimmer Waist, Better Health in Just 10 Days!
  • The Schwarzbein Principle
  • The South Beach Diet
  • Bones: Recipes, History, and Lore
  • Thin Within
  • Sugar Busters! Cut Sugar to Trim Fat
  • The Weight Loss Cure "They" Don't Want You to Know About
  • George Stella's Livin' Low Carb: Family Recipes Stella Style
  • Sugar Shock!: How Sweets and Simple Carbs Can Derail Your Life-- and How YouCan Get Back on Tr ack
  • The World's Healthiest Foods: Essential Guide for the Healthiest Way of Eating
  • 1,001 Best Slow-Cooker Recipes: The Only Slow-Cooker Cookbook You'll Ever Need
  • Bob Greene's Total Body Makeover
  • Chicken Cookbook
  • Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals: Delicious, Primal-Approved Meals You Can Make in Under 30 Minutes
  • The Insulin-Resistance Diet
  • Amazing Quinoa: Easy Recipes the Whole Family Will Love! (Healthy Cookbook Series #3)
  • The Biggest Loser Success Secrets: The Wisdom, Motivation, and Inspiration to Lose Weight--and Keep It Off!
  • Alexander the Great and His Time (Dorset Oress Reprints Series)
Robert Coleman Atkins, MD was an American physician and cardiologist, best known for the Atkins Nutritional Approach (or "Atkins Diet"), a popular but controversial way of dieting that entails eating low-carbohydrate and high-protein foods, in addition to leaf vegetables and dietary supplements.
More about Robert C. Atkins...