Start by marking “The Generals (Brotherhood Of War, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Generals (Brotherhood Of War, #6)

The Generals (Brotherhood of War #6)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  1,860 ratings  ·  20 reviews
They were the leaders, the men who made the decisions that changed the outcome of battles...and the fate of continents. From the awesome landing at Normandy to the tortorous campaigns of the South Pacific, from the frozen hills of Korea to the devastated wastes of Dien Bien Phu, they had earned their stars. Now they led America's finest against her most relentless enemy de...more
Published February 1st 1986 by Jove Books (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Generals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Generals

Mike (the Paladin)
Here things have continued to escalate and there are men imprisoned in the Hanoi Hilton.

Many of us remember that. This novel centers around a rescue attempt to bring those prisoners home.

In a prior volume one of the characters was called, "baby killer". That was an odd period in history. I stopped at a car wash in my dress greens in '74 and was cursed at by the young woman employed at the place. She made reference to my coming in in my "green suit".

Yes it was an odd time. Felter at one point not...more
Kathy Stone
I really enjoyed this book. It reads quickly and so the reader is not bogged down in minutiae as in so many military stories. There are few definitions of military terms so there is no need to be afraid of jingo. Yes, these men are fierce patriots of the United States of America, but they are soldiers and as such supposed to be. This story takes place during the Vietnam War and that may make some readers uncomfortable, but there is little in the way of politics in this book. Yes, the presidents...more
Angus Whittaker
Another great addition to Griffin's Brotherhood of War series.

SPOILERS

I was very surprised to find, in the epilogue, that all the main characters retire at the end of the book. The epilogue tells about the retired life of Lowell, Bellmon, Hanrahan, Felter, Craig, and all the others. This is only book 6 in the series! I don't know what the last books in the series are about, then. The epic saga of Lowell, Felter, MacMillan, and the others seems to have come to a close. It ended with a bang - lit...more
Atalanta16
I've read all the books in the series. While the first novels were excellent, I really don't understand why each successive series had more and more scenes devoted to drinking. It became a real distraction from the plots.
Richard Palmer
Some reviewers said that this was a week ending to the series, but I disagree.

Griffin was true to his characters, giving them drama and adventure. The culmination of the careers of all these officers came together in a secret mission to rescue prisoners of war in North Vietnam. The same personalities that I have enjoyed so much in the previous five books came out again in a memorable story. Felter, Lowell, Macmillan, Belmon, Hanrahan, and the whole cast were all here.

I have to add my voice to th...more
Mikel Dawson
These men started out in WWII in the lower ranks and advanced to the highest ranks over time. Being able to adapt to changes in time, situations and events, they proved themselves as leaders of men. This book showed how one has to shoulder responsibilities for vast amounts of men and equipment. It also showed how men have to settle down a bit, but still have the want to be out in the action. Good reading.
George
Book 6 of the Brotherhood series finds our heroes conducting operations during the Vietnam Conflict. Their characters are further developed and they continue to act in the same way that they always have, except they're older and "wiser."? It isn't much, really, about the generals...rather, continues to develop all the characters. I enjoyed the book and am already on to number 7, "The Aviators;" which seems to write over some of the epilogue from "The Generals".
Barbara
It was obvious that this was intended to be the final book in the series, and then he went and wrote three more. I was hooked on the characters from having read The Aviators (book 8), and then went back and read the rest from one to the end. This one takes place leaving gaps that are filled in by the later books.
Robin Halvorson
I reread this and I only read the first half because I absolutely hate the second half. In the second half protagnonists change character and it seems that Mr. Griffin decided to crank this out so he could meet a deadline. There is one of his books that I hate more than this one but this one sucks in the second half.
Will
The LBJ Years and Vietnam. Lowell's nephew Geoff Craig becomes the toast of Vietnam and launches into his career, as Craig Lowell roams from one pussy emergency to the next. Nixon keeps the Mouse Felter and a POW rescue mission is launched where Lowell leads the op which rescues his girlfriend's husband.
David Ward
The Generals (Brotherhood of War #6) by W.E.B. Griffin (Jove 1986) (Fiction - Military). These battle-tested men had fought in WWII, Korea, and now they were the leaders and decision makers in a new type of war in Vietnam. My rating: 7/10, finished 1986.
Keith Clasen
Not good. I found it hard to finish. Story was not captivating and the writing was cluncky. Enough said - don't waste your time there are much better books to be read.
Arthur Alburo
at first i dont understand the plot!! but when i read it at chapter 2 much more good !! im blown away with the book itelf much enjoyable and really im addicted to it!!
Julie
Meh... Ok compared to the previous books, but it jumped too far forward and ended rather abruptly. I'd like a whole book on Craig W. Lowell.
Jeff
Decent enough conclusion to the series. The criticisms on Amazon are a bit overblown.
Terry Thomas
Wonderful. If you enjoy military reads, you'll like this entire series.
Gene Rosso
Man I loved this series, not the best in the series but enjoyable
Meakin
A really great well-written series. I was sorry to see It end .
J.W. Thompson
Wish he could write them faster----read this one years ago
Jeff Smith
Jeff Smith marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Richard Rafter
Richard Rafter is currently reading it
Oct 17, 2014
  • Sympathy for the Devil
  • Trial by Fire (Scott Dixon, #3)
  • Dangerous Ground (Jerry Mitchell, #1)
  • Hammer Heads
  • The Steel Wave (World War II: 1939-1945, #2)
  • Whirlwind: The Air War Against Japan, 1942-1945
  • Mass Casualties: A Young Medic's True Story of Death, Deception, and Dishonor in Iraq
  • Final Flight (Jake Grafton, #2)
  • Choosers of the Slain (Amanda Garrett, #1)
  • Crusade in Europe
W.E.B. Griffin is one of several pseudonyms for William E. Butterworth III.

From the Authors Website:

W.E.B. Griffin is the #1 best-selling author of more than fifty epic novels in seven series, all of which have made The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly, and other best-seller lists. More than fifty million of the books are in print in more than ten languages, including Heb...more
More about W.E.B. Griffin...
The Hostage (Presidential Agent, #2) Semper Fi (The Corps, #1) By Order of the President (Presidential Agent, #1) The Lieutenants (Brotherhood of War, #1) Call To Arms (The Corps, #2)