Start by marking “The Corridors of Time” as Want to Read:
The Corridors of Time

The Corridors of Time

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  402 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
(from the back of the book)
A power struggle for time itself.
The corridors of time connect the ages to each other. Through them, one can travel backwards and forwards over the history of man. But rival factions have waged war for centuries.... Malcolm is an ordinary man of today, caught up in a time war beyond his comprehension....

Cover Illustration by Anthony Roberts
Mass Market Paperback, 186 pages
Published September 1981 by Berkley (first published January 1st 1965)

To ask other readers questions about The Corridors of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Corridors of Time

Lyn
Jul 20, 2015 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Corridors of Time was first published by Poul Anderson in 1965. It concerns an imaginative approach to time travel and has as its central conflict an ageless battle between two forces: the Wardens, representing an Earth Mother set of values and mythos and the Rangers, a group who worship a mechanical ideal and through whom have influenced much of Western Civilization.

Time travel novels always leave me asking more questions about the details and what-ifs and sometimes just leave me guessing
Steve
Jun 05, 2015 Steve rated it really liked it
The Corridors of Time is my second Poul Anderson. (My first was the very impressive The Broken Sword.) And like The Broken Sword, Anderson draws heavily on what must have been an extensive knowledge of ancient Denmark (before Beowulf), mythology in general, history, anthropology, and linguistics. Also, to keep thinks humming, science fiction. Whew! That’s a lot to cram into 186 page novel. With a lesser writer all of those would have probably sank such a short novel. But Anderson sprinkles (usua ...more
Mary Catelli
An old SF work involving an unusual sort of time travel.

Malcolm Lockridge is in jail when a strange woman, Storm Darroway, comes to him and offers a high-powered lawyer and private detectives to clear his name. All she wants in return is for him to take a job for her. Even at the time, he notices her unusual appearance -- unplaceable by ethnicitiy or race -- especially with the Anglo-Saxon name. His name cleared, he follows her directions to Denmark, where she spins him a story about retrieving
Stephen Gallup
Jun 19, 2014 Stephen Gallup rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I went on a sci-fi binge in my early teens, and this is one of the few titles acquired then that have stuck with me through the years. I keep it on a shelf beside Chad Oliver's Winds of Time, not that the two stories have much in common beyond the similarity of their titles. It's about an ordinary guy being pulled out of recognizable circumstances and thrust into something very extraordinary, and in that regard is closer to the Edgar Rice Burroughs format. However, my recollection is that charac ...more
Ivan Lutz
Mar 02, 2015 Ivan Lutz rated it it was ok
Poprilična trashina u maniri pustolovnih SF-ova zlatnog doba, pa je i bez inovacije u svakom pogledu. Čak je i sama premisa izvučena iz Heinleinovog Glory Road-a (prezgodna žena novači muškarca za avanturu, a zašto to čini ostaje maglovito i polu nerazjašnjeno).
Radnja u svakom trenutku želi biti brza, akcijska, pa u nekim trenucima i je takva, ali više vremena je pokušaj i ostaje na pokušaju. I kao svaki dobar tresh na kraju ima zaokret pa tako i ovo - ko fol neočekivano, ali iz aviona se vidje
Manny
Sep 17, 2010 Manny rated it liked it

One of the better SF love triangles: 20th century guy has to choose between a far-future goddess and Ms. Average Nice Bronze-Age Chick. Both women are sympathetically portrayed. I'd better not tell you what happens - it's fun, and there's a terrific ending!
David Cain
Feb 13, 2016 David Cain rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Fun classic science fiction from 1965. This short, pulpy novel takes an interesting approach to time travel, dystopian futures, and the perils of moving too far in the direction of either industrialization or pastoralism. Major themes include the futility of war and the importance of balance in philosophies. The editing was a bit too tight throughout, with many quick cuts between scenes where there was not quite enough detail to sustain a smoothly flowing plot. Some of the characters were a bit ...more
Boris
Oct 13, 2012 Boris rated it liked it
Hodnici vremena je sasvim pristojan akcijski SF roman s putovanjem kroz vrijeme kao temom.

Glavni lik je tipičan akcijski SF junak, s borbenim vještinama koje je stekao u mornarici, pametan,obrazovan i moralan.
Iz zatvora u kojem se na neki način našao izvlači ga superiorna predivna i sexy ljepotica iz budućnosti imenom Storm, s ciljem da joj bude pomoćnik u sukobu dviju frakcija iz daleke budućnosti, koji ove dvije frakcije vode istovremeno u gotovo svim povijesnim razdobljima Zemlje, počevši od
Chris Branch
Recently realized that I have this library book that's now about 25 years overdue and figured I'd read it before making an effort to return it.

So, I wasn't impressed. The time war storyline is one that's been done many times in the years since this was written in '65, and it came across as a bit stale. The characters could have redeemed it despite that, but alas, they were fairly boring too. And the attempt to give Lockridge a southern accent was inconsistent and irritating. Maybe I'm judging it
Travis
May 20, 2011 Travis rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Two groups, the Wardens and the Rangers, are fighting a war across time, recruiting soldiers from the various historical periods. This story features a young man from roughly now-ish that is recruited by the Warden 'goddess', Storm Dalloway to help her on a mission to ancient Denmark and then things get complicated.

Not bad, reminds me a lot of Philip Jose Farmer. The time travel was interesting, but the 'reveal' in the story you will see coming pretty early on, and a lot of the cast never gain m
George Hahn
Oct 14, 2015 George Hahn rated it really liked it
Good time travel adventure from one of the classic authors. The cover on my copy is misleading, showing space ships and alien landscapes whereas the book takes place mostly in the past, but it's still solid science fiction adventure.
Simon
Mar 25, 2014 Simon rated it liked it
Has been a long time since I read it but the I always remember it fondly and have held onto the book despite many culls of the library.
Edwin
Sep 25, 2013 Edwin rated it really liked it
For a book from that era it is a great read. Doesn't hold up that good (in Dutch translation) because the way things are written now. What I liked a lot, was that it just jumps from scene to scene without to much detail to get to the plot. Feels a bit like a Hollywood movie. Example: a group sails from England to Denmark and that takes about 3 sentences. After that they can get back into the fight.

The time travel is also awesome. I liked the idea of the forever ongoing war between the "earth" an
Michelle Hanson
Jan 25, 2014 Michelle Hanson rated it liked it
It was ok.. rather dated, but the storyline ha some unexpected quirks..
Simon
Jul 28, 2009 Simon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
An all american everyman is dragged into a war waged across time between two ideologically opposed forces that are behind most of the great wars and confrontations in earth's history.

Anderson uses many different wrting styles and I wasn't too keen on the one employed here that seemed to work against me engaging with the story.

It did end quite satisfactorally though but I think it could have been better.
Monica
Feb 20, 2016 Monica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A rather chaotic time travelers tale.
Anthony Faber
Apr 23, 2016 Anthony Faber rated it liked it
One man gets involved in a war between two time traveling organizations. Typical Anderson.
David Robins
Jan 03, 2013 David Robins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it - a grand survey of a variety of cultures with a milennia-spanning war between two groups that want to claim "good" for themselves and "evil" for the other; but it's just not that simple, and when it comes down to it, the people of earth, of any time, would rather be left alone.
Edgar
Jun 22, 2014 Edgar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is objectively better than I judge it. For some reason the style kept me detached, but it's good writing, suitable for long historical descriptions and action sequences without a visible switch. I'll come to this book often later, while I'm writing, to see how he did it.
Janette
Aug 21, 2011 Janette rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
May not be the best-ever time travel novel, but a sentimental favourite since - aside from early exposure to Dr Who - this was my first encounter with time travel. Pause for collective "Awwww". Would need to reread in order to review properly!
Charles
Aug 08, 2009 Charles rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Anderson's time war stories allowed him to explore all down through the ages and I thought he did a very good job. These weren't my favorite stories by him but Anderson really didn't do bad books.
Ralph McEwen
This book just didn't grab me at all, by the end all I wanted was the end. The story seems told well enough but the characters never clicked with me and I was kind of bored with the plot.
Erin
Jul 19, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This was one of my very first science fiction books and it was my first time travel fiction. I was absolutely hooked after reading it. It sucked my young mind off to great adventures.
Bebabi34
Le gallerie del tempo (Romanzo, The Corridors of Time, 1965) di Poul Anderson
Traduzione di M[aurizio] Nati e S[andro] Pergameno
Peter
Oct 11, 2012 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting slant on time travel. Not as good as his other time travel yarns, but a good read nevertheless.
Darko
Oct 26, 2014 Darko rated it liked it
Simpatičan roman iz 1965 godine. Nije remek djelo ali obiluje sf akcijom na svim razinama.
Kenneth Flusche
Oct 17, 2013 Kenneth Flusche rated it it was amazing
old style SF because it was written way back when. You can see Poul's influence on modern SF
Steve
May 10, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it
I'm rating this higher than it should be maybe, because it was a favorite when I was very young.
Clyde
Mar 13, 2012 Clyde rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Pretty good time travel yarn by one of the old masters.
Peter
Well written and exciting but kind of fails overall
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine these editions 2 13 Apr 22, 2013 03:56AM
  • A Trace of Memory
  • The Wizard Of Linn
  • The Technicolor Time Machine
  • The Masks of Time
  • The Khyber Connection (Time Wars, #6)
  • A Bridge of Years
  • A Heritage of Stars
  • The Proteus Operation
  • Time Slave
  • Millennium
  • Time Storm
  • The Fleet (The Fleet, #1)
  • The Flight of the Horse
  • Janissaries (Janissaries, #1)
  • Jupiter Project
  • Dracula Unbound
  • Times Without Number
  • The Best Time Travel Stories of All Time
Pseudonym A. A. Craig, Michael Karageorge, Winston P. Sanders, P. A. Kingsley.

Poul William Anderson was an American science fiction author who began his career during one of the Golden Ages of the genre and continued to write and remain popular into the 21st century. Anderson also authored several works of fantasy, historical novels, and a prodigious number of short stories. He received numerous a
More about Poul Anderson...