Start by marking “Taoism: The Parting of the Way” as Want to Read:
Taoism: The Parting of the Way

Taoism: The Parting of the Way

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  49 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
This book offers a comprehensive discussion of Taoism, one of the world's major religions, as well as a study of the Tao te ching, the best known Taoist text, Lao-Tzu as a Taoist prototype.
Published June 1st 1971 by Beacon Press (first published January 1st 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Taoism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taoism

Bob Nichols
Jun 08, 2012 Bob Nichols rated it it was ok
In the first chapter, Holmes discusses the problem of interpreting Lao Tsu and Tao Te Ching: whether the writing was a compilation of numerous writers over an extended period of time that reflected differing perspectives, or whether Lao Tzu even existed at all. This is the most interesting part of the book (Holmes also writes about the four primary schools of Taoism that subsequently emerged, three of which focused on how to achieve life after death, and how Taoism eventually merged with element ...more
Jeff
Mar 30, 2015 Jeff rated it liked it
Recommended to Jeff by: Ursula Le Guin
Shelves: non-fiction, 2012
Only 3 stars cuz i expected more exegesis of the Tao Te Ching. I know that i wanted more of it. I NEED more. Alas, at least half of this book is history, not philosophy, not metaphysics, not religion. So if you really want a Sinologist's history of Taoism, you're sure to enjoy this more than i did.

I picked it up because i knew i'd need help with the Tao and the edition i read was Ursula Le Guin's amalgamation in which she says, "If you want to know more about Taoism, or would like some help and
Amber
Jul 27, 2010 Amber rated it it was amazing
As a follower of the Tao, I was thrilled to see this book on the library shelf of my yoga studio. Having read various translations of the Tao te Ching, I appreciated Welch's interpretation of its main ideas: that wu-wei is inaction, that inaction is nonaggression, and so forth. That being said, this would also be an ideal book for someone who is first learning about the Tao.

In addition to exploring Taoist philosophy, the book includes the legend of the author Lao-Tzu (old man) and posits who he
Virginia Simson
Jan 04, 2016 Virginia Simson rated it it was amazing
Just a great great book to read and think about. I love his tone; he has an almost Taoist attitude towards his own academism!

Really, I wish I'd read this book years ago. It helps so much at putting all the different threads of thought into a workable timeline.

His admiration of Waley is a Good Thing, too.

Gregg
Dec 08, 2007 Gregg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: asian-studies
The best introductory books are thorough and approachable. If you had to read only one book on Taoism, this would be the one I'd recommend. While most books stop with Lao Tzu and the Tao Te Ching, this one continues into Chaung Tzu, Lieh Tzu, andsome of the lesser known sages, as well as alchemy and folk traditions.
Adrienne Stapleton
Mar 05, 2008 Adrienne Stapleton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion, own
I love the beginning chapters, particularly the discussions of the Tao, Wu-Wei, and Mu. I have returned to this book repeatedly to reread and think about the nature of Tao, the Absolute Tao, and Wu-Wei.
Mista
Nov 20, 2008 Mista rated it really liked it
tasty
Jo
Jo is currently reading it
Apr 24, 2016
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
Brian Mulder
Brian Mulder marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Rob Carbo
Rob Carbo marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Simon East
Simon East marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Timm
Timm rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Melantha Nelson
Melantha Nelson marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Matteo Marini
Matteo Marini marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2015
RMC
RMC rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2015
Jack Ward
Jack Ward marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Rick
Rick marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Wade
Wade marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Mara-Lee
Mara-Lee marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Amanda
Amanda added it
Feb 25, 2016
Lincoln Smith
Lincoln Smith rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2015
Lynn Vieira
Lynn Vieira rated it liked it
May 30, 2015
Celeste
Celeste marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Kyle
Kyle added it
May 08, 2015
W Craig
W Craig marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Desirable Love
Desirable Love rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2015