Start by marking “The Big Green Pocketbook” as Want to Read:
The Big Green Pocketbook

The Big Green Pocketbook

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  21 reviews
On her day in town with her mother, a little girl starts off with an empty big green pocketbook—just like her mother’s—and along the way collects pieces of her day to put inside, inventing stories for each treasure. ‘Studded with inventive imagery.… A playful and most suitable setting for this winsome story with its timeless theme.’—Publishers Weekly. ‘ Bond’s cheerful ill ...more
Paperback
Published March 31st 1995 by HarperCollins (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Green Pocketbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Green Pocketbook

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pat the Bunny by Dorothy KunhardtWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Best Books for a Baby Shower!
121st out of 321 books — 255 voters
The Very Busy Spider by Eric CarleGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownMy Five Senses Big Book by AlikiOlivia by Ian FalconerClifford the Big Red Dog by Norman Bridwell
Preschoolers at First Grade Level
55th out of 56 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Brenda Barrino
Book Title: The Big Green Pocketbook by Candice Ransom
Description: In this story, a young girl spends the day running errands with her mom, while collecting many objects for her new green pocketbook.
Focus: Unit 1: Writing small moments (personal narrative from Lucy Calkins). Ransom demonstrates small moments in different settings throughout the book. She does a good job showing how writers focus on one setting/idea and capture the details in that one single moment.
Teach: W.1.3 Write narratives
Angela Moorer
I actually used this story for a mathematics lesson on money and practicing counting on. The story tells about the day of a young girl and her mother that have a day out. The young girl is so excited because she looks "grown up" with her big pocketbook on like her mom. They visit different places in the community and buy different things for her to fill her pocketbook with. Aside from math, this text could be used to create a great social studies lesson on places in the community.
Julia
Jun 19, 2008 Julia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ages 2-5
This book is about a little girl and her trip to town with her mom. She takes along her big green pocketbook, which is empty. At each shop she and her mom stop at, she picks up small items that the store owner gives her. Fun little story, great illustrations, and nice message of showing thoughtfulness and gratitude at the end.
Brittany
My daughter immediately found a green play purse and filled it with treasures just like this little girl in the story.
Mary
This is a great book for predictions. What do you think she will get next to put in her purse? Do you think she'll ever find her purse? It is a great book for social studies. You can talk about all the places that they visited during the day. Think of the possibilities of some extra purses in the dramatic play area.
Andrew Jameson
Rebecca Dean
This book is good fro children to read to show them how even if something is terrible one minute, there is a way to fix it. It shows them to look for a solution instead of throwing a fit. This is also a good book to use while working on order of things like: first, second, then, and after.
Amy Olson
This book can be used to teach sequencing- what happened first, next and last. The main character the little girl goes on errands with her mother collecting things during the way students can connect when they went on trips and collected things along the way.
Sai
I remember wanting to have a day like that,...but then my life wasn't like that, so I couldn't...no, the latter is me thinking about it now. My little self didn't carer about that. Anyway, I just remember how much I loved it, and how I read it a thousand times....
Heather
31 months - Another thrift store buy for 50 cents. Drawings by Felicia Bond of "If You Give A..." series. The story is very matter of fact but really cute to watch the little girl go on an outing with Mom and fill her once empty pocket book with little souvenirs.
Natalie
A mother and daughter catch the bus which takes them on a day of errands. Each has their own pocketbook, and the little girl gets a momento to put in hers at every place they stop.
Olson Family Matters
Cute story - good one time read about a little girl's purse and the things she puts in it from each event throughout her day. Madelyn liked.
Anne Robertson
The big green pocketbook gets filled with all of her adventures from the day. Good for teaching kids responsibility.
Jeanette
Both my kids have really enjoyed this one. Me, not as much. Not a bad book just nothing special.
Kate
Our four year old LOVES this book. Highlights good manners and morals. Cool pictures, fun story.
Eireanne
On the suggested summer reading list for students.
Gretel
Cutest book for little girls!
great sensory book
James Goss
James Goss marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Noemy Rivas
Noemy Rivas marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Stacie
Stacie added it
Sep 04, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
Aug 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Little Red Riding Hood Rebel McKenzie Amanda (Sunfire, #1) Susannah (Sunfire, #2) Emily (Sunfire, #11)