Start by marking “Hush” as Want to Read:
Hush

Hush

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,540 Ratings  ·  332 Reviews
“Dark, sexy, and smart... A stunningly good read.” — Linda Fairstein, author of Hell Gate

“Utterly compelling . . . A classic page turner.” — Karin Slaughter, author of Undone

In this exciting thriller by Kate White, Cosmopolitan editor-in-chief and New York Times bestselling author of the Bailey Weggins mystery series (If Looks Could Kill, A Body to Die For, ’Til Death Do U
Published February 1st 2011 by Harper Perennial (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Hush, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hush

Jaime
Jul 27, 2011 Jaime rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, 2011
I’m going to get straight to the point. I didn’t like this. Not only is Lake’s name ridiculous, most of her actions are ridiculous. She seems to be allergic to the police, no matter what sort of danger or harassment has befallen her, all with the weak excuse of "if anything bad is connected with me, my ex-husband will steal my kids!". It just didn’t hold together for me. I thought she was infuriatingly stupid. With infertility treatment being a burgeoning issue, this could have been an interesti ...more
Sara Strand
Jul 24, 2012 Sara Strand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK. Let me start by telling you that I absolutely COULD NOT put this book down. If you are a fan of the Law & Order shows.. this one is for you. This could easily have been an episode and it was a great thriller. Throughout the book I'm trying to read for clues and was trying to piece it together. Every time I thought that I had it figured out, something else got thrown in and it blew my theory on the crime.

I felt like the characters were easy to relate to- like if this were a real life thi
Michelle
May 08, 2011 Michelle rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
This book certainly has an interesting premise: woman sleeps with a colleague and wakes up to find him murdered. She can’t go to the police, not even when she feels someone is after her, because she’s in a bitter custody battle. What a way to raise the stakes right off the bat. Any parent would totally get that. There were times later in the book where I thought, “okay she really needs to go to the police now” but still I understood Lake’s reasons for keeping quiet.

That said, this book was hard
NayNay
Mar 03, 2012 NayNay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
SYNOPSIS -Four months after their separation, marketing consultant Lake Warren faces a tough legal battle with her husband, Jack, for custody of their two kids. Though the timing couldn't be worse, she finds herself responding to the flirtations of Dr. Mark Keaton, her handsome colleague at the Advanced Fertility Center. But the morning after their one-night stand, Lake discovers Keaton with his throat slashed.

Afraid of losing her children forever, Lake lies to the police—and begins searching f
Staci
Mar 01, 2011 Staci rated it it was ok
Recommended to Staci by: TLC Book Tour

"Lake opened her mouth to scream but nothing came out. her breath seemed dead-bolted in her chest. She knew she needed to get closer, to check if Keaton was alive. But she couldn't move." [p.37]

....With that kind of writing this book had me turning the pages and not wanting to stop reading until I had finished the story. I really needed to know who killed Keaton and why. At the beginning I liked Lake and could totally commiserate with her in regards to having a vindictive ex-spouse. But as the
Tracy
May 19, 2010 Tracy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Typical thriller. Lots of twists and I didn't guess the killer, but I think that was only because there were too many characters. Would of liked to see more points of view and I got tired of all the speculating questions made by the main character. "Was the killer watching her? Did the killer work at the clinic? Was the killer a hitman? Was the killer involved in the victim's gambling debt? Does the killer like taking long walks along the beach at sunset?" Yea, those went overboard and some shou ...more
Kristin
Total Doritos book, not a lot of substance, like the plot of a Law and Order episode. Also the main character has a really stupid name.
Cici1114
Apr 28, 2010 Cici1114 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just so you don't think I only post 4 and 5 star reviews. This one barely ekes out 2 stars! A ridiculous plot, too many characters to keep track of, and a protagonist who is unethical and unlikeable make this a poor choice. It calls itself suspense...the only suspenseful part to me is: Who's reading this?
Sherri Hunter
Mar 13, 2010 Sherri Hunter rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller
Another one bites the dust. Didn't care for this one at all. Couldn't connect to any of the characters and thought the heroine, Lake, was weak and lacked common sense.
Crystal
Apr 21, 2010 Crystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Talk about a roller coaster - that is what I would sum this book up as. It's a thrill ride from beginning to end. Hush is the first book I have read from author Kate White, though I have been wanting to read her Bailey Weggins series. I was intrigued on how the Editor-in-Chief of Cosmopolitan magazine would pull off a thriller and I have to say she does a great job with it.

I liked Lake from the beginning (though I kept wanting to read her name as Luke - Lake is just different). She is a woman wh
Pamela
Jul 24, 2011 Pamela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Lake Warren is going thru a very difficult divorce as her soon-to-be ex wants full custody of the children. Not only that, it seems that she's come across a perplexing mystery at the fertility clinic, where she's working, a mystery that could get her killed. However, she's determined to figure out what's going on.

Granted the two events going on her life would make any book interesting to read, this one leaves you feeling gypped. It does grab your attention at the start making you want to read o
Diane
Jan 27, 2011 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't read many mystery/thriller books, (mostly because I don't like the whole women-in-jeopardy-thing) but once I picked up Kate White's Hush, I found I couldn't put it down.

Lake Warren (why do they always have names like that?) is going through a bitter divorce, and now her soon-to-be ex is suing for full custody of their two children. She runs her own small marketing firm, and she is in the middle of working on a big presentation for a hot-shot fertility clinic.

She makes the mistake of slee
Marie
Mar 05, 2011 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Hush, Lake Warren, a marketing consultant for a fertility clinic, is fighting with her soon-to-be-ex husband over the custody of her two children. After a night of indiscretion with one of the doctor at the clinic, she awakens the next morning, to find him murdered. Since any impropriety on her part could be used against her in the custody case, she decides to tell no one about it and flees the scene. When the police start snooping around, she lies to them. After awhile they start zeroing in ...more
Mary Kennedy
Jul 02, 2010 Mary Kennedy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I caught up with the multi-talented Kate White, editor-in-chief of Cosmo and author of the enormously popular Bailey Weggins mystery series. She stopped by to talk about HUSH and how she juggles her complicated life, why she’s writing a book on time management, and where she finds her inspiration.
Q: HUSH is your first stand-alone thriller. I wondered, why a stand-alone thriller, and why now?

A: Well, as we know at Cosmo, sometimes even the best relationships need a break. I love writing the Bai
Cheryl
Feb 10, 2010 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lake Warren is a marketing consultant. Her current client is an infertility clinic. Lake is currently going through a nasty divorce. Her ex-husband wants full custody of the children in order to try and get Lake to claim less in the settlement.

Lake goes home with one of the doctors at the infertility clinic and wakes to find him murdered in bed. Instead of calling the police, Lake leaves the house and pretends she was never there. This was Lake’s biggest mistake. The killer has targeted Lake. I
This book had an interesting plot - single, newly divorced mom (Lake) sleeps with a sexy colleague only to find him murdered. At first, I really liked Lake, however, as the book went on everything she did got on my nerves. Apparently everyone except a select few are not to be trusted, including the police since she couldn't go to them with anything. She used her custody case with her ex as an excuse and was constantly making up lies to cover her actions and other lies she told. The writing style ...more
Peg Cochran
Aug 21, 2015 Peg Cochran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I thought the writing was great and I couldn't stop turning the pages. Interesting premise as well.
Heather
Jun 20, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unlike most mysteries, not entirely predictable.

I quite enjoyed it.
Carole
Oct 12, 2015 Carole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-books-read
Lake Warren is going through a bad patch; her husband unexpectedly decides he wants a divorce and leaves her and their two children. He files for divorce and everything seems to being going pretty smoothly until her lawyer tells her that he is filing for full custody of the children instead of the joint custody as they had agreed. Her lawyer advises her to be especially careful about dating or getting involved with men so that her husband would not have any ammunition to use against her in getti ...more
Amber
Mar 27, 2015 Amber rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hush is a page-turner; impossible to put down at times. A murder mystery filled with untrustworthy characters, each giving rise to suspicion that they could be the suspect in the case. Wrapped within this murder mystery is also a potentially unethical Fertility Treatment Center and a divorce on the verge of becoming ugly.

Although I found myself unable to put the book down, I felt gypped by it's ending. For the mess that it creates of the life of it's main character, Lake, the ending for me seeme
Jess
Jun 24, 2010 Jess rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I gave this one 2.5 stars.

I read this for a book club, the description sounded really intriguing. But I don't know what happened. Everything just felt flat. The mystery aspect was really not that interesting, and I found myself caring more about the mystery of Jack and his strange behavior. I was sort of apathetic towards the main character Lake, I didn't really have any positive or negatives thoughts about her. She was just there.

I'm really disappointed.
Natalia
I don't know what to say about this book. First off, great plot! I mean wonderful! I just don't think it was taken to the level of fantasticness that it could've been taken to. I'm not sure i liked the ending! The truth never came out, and while the killer was surprising, she ends up dying! How untwisty! The good thing is that I didn't figure out the twists. I never once suspected. lastly, I felt that the ending was rushed. I'll give this author another try, though.
Barb
Mar 19, 2010 Barb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lake Warren is a public relations specialist hired by a fertility clinic. Over time she discovers some shady stuff going on at the clinic. But the question is "is it related to the murder of Dr. Keaton?" This is a fast paced thriller that is hard to put down. It is cohesive and tight with lots of twists and turns. And just when you think you know who did it --- something new happens and maybe it could be...... A well written, enjoyable book.
Fran
Aug 30, 2015 Fran rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Barb
Apr 10, 2010 Barb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can't remember who recommended this book to me, but when I do, I'm going to beat the crap out of them. I read this in ONE day and did not guess the killer before the revelation. My favorite part of the whole thing (don't go further here if you plan to read it) is that the lie worked and what really happened never came out and I was GLAD!!
Trish
Apr 05, 2012 Trish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would probably give this book 2.5 stars. The story was decent but the abundance of characters made it hard for me to keep them all straight in my head. I was surprised by the ending, but by that point I was really just reading to get it over. Not a real page turner in my opinion.
Kerry
Feb 16, 2015 Kerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book sounded really good according to the synopsis but it really fell flat. Lake Warren was in the process of a custody battle. She finds herself waking up next to a Dr., from the Fertility Clinic where she is consulting at, who has been murdered. She decides not to go to the police because of her custody concerns. She begins to investigate on her own what happened to the doctor, and might have wanted him dead. Despite Lake, coming across people following her, shaving her cat, and chasing h ...more
Cody
Dec 30, 2015 Cody rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, 2015
great plot overshadowed by a ludicrous climax and ending. She was in the clear to talk about the murder since her husband agreed to joint custody. ugh. what a mess!
Cara
Oct 10, 2015 Cara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lake Warren, aside from having a stupid name, is also a very stupid person. In the midst of a divorce, she witnesses a murder, but doesn't go to the police because she is for some reason convinced that any contact with the police would somehow automatically give her ex-husband full custody of their two kids. So she lies when the police question her, and keeps up this ridiculous charade of nothing is wrong even when someone chases after her with a knife trying to kill her. She doesn't die in the ...more
Crystal
Mar 28, 2014 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In classic Kate White fashion, this book keeps you guessing until the end. If you love a good "who done it", this is a great one!
  • The Replacement Child (Gil Montoya Mystery #1)
  • Dante's Numbers (Nic Costa, #7)
  • 2 in the Hat
  • The Glass Devil (Inspector Huss #4)
  • The Frightened Man (Denton, #1)
  • The Bone Chamber (Sydney Fitzpatrick #2)
  • A Curtain Falls (Simon Ziele, #2)
  • A Brush with Death (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #2)
  • Super
  • Live to Tell (Live to Tell #1)
  • You Can Run...
  • The Frailty of Flesh
  • The Night Of Knives
  • The Wild Zone
  • Skeleton's Key (Delta Crossroads Trilogy, #2)
  • Death Without Tenure (A Karen Pelletier Mystery #6)
  • Shift (Gate of Orpheus Trilogy #1)
  • The Fifth Servant
Kate White is the New York Times bestselling author of nine works of fiction—six Bailey Weggins mysteries and three suspense novels, including her latest, EYES ON YOU. For fourteen years she was the editor in chief of Cosmopolitan magazine, and though she loved the job (and the Cosmo beauty closet!), she decided to leave in late 2013 to concentrate full time on being an author.

Her books have recei