Start by marking “Arctic Wild: The Remarkable True Story of One Couple's Adventures Living Among Wolves” as Want to Read:

An unforgettable portrait of two naturalists who, in the1950s, spent eighteen awe-inspiring months in Alaska's Brooks Range, where they adopted and raised two wolf pups.
Published November 1st 1999 by The Lyons Press (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Arctic Wild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arctic Wild

Nora
Jun 01, 2008 Nora rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Animal Lovers, Nature Lovers, Wildlife Lovers, Wolf Lovers
I Absolutely LOVED and ADORED this book. It's a amazing story of a women with a passion for wolfs.

Wonderfully written.
Anna
Lois Crisler and her husband spent 18 months living in the wild on the arctic tundra as part of a wildlife documentary film assignment, photographing and filming caribou migrations and raising two litters of free range (more or less) wolf pups stolen for them by Eskimos.

It is a slow book… I initially found Lois’ writing style unfocused and chatty, chronicling practical preparations and circumstances and not really getting to a point. Even the occasional danger-charged visits by roaming grizzlies
Carole
Sep 13, 2015 Carole rated it it was amazing
I'm nearly finished reading this book and it is one of the best I've ever read. I don't want it to ever end. She - they, have such insight in their raising these two wolves and communicating with them. I'm enjoying each new experience they have.

As well as their camping in the arctic photographing caribou they just seem to really enjoy doing what they did even tho the conditions would make most women RUN!

She is very descriptive in her writing describing their surroundings and then the actions o
Lastwolf
Aug 30, 2014 Lastwolf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wildlife
Anyone interested in wolves would enjoy this book though a lot has changed since this book was first published in 1958.
The follow up to Arctic wild is Captive Wild and this book was the first of the two that I read a number of years ago and picking up A.W. I couldn't help but wonder if it would prove as sad a read as its successor. But it was, thankfully, less intense and pessimistic.
I shall hold on to my copy- I may read it again in the future.
Janet
Aug 30, 2014 Janet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not the edition I read - but I can't find the edition I read here and I'm too lazy to input it. The one I read had a forward by A. Leopold. Not as dry as I anticipated. Some actions shocked me from a conservation standpoint, but as one reviewer noted, a lot has changed since 1958. More about wolves than I expected. It was nice to escape to AK for a while.
VerJean
Jan 17, 2013 VerJean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WoooHooo - thank goodness for internet, ebay, used book sellers, etc.
Don't remember exactly where I found this copy, but I remembered that it was such a favorite book of mine from reading in high school. I've been to Alaska several times and always remember this book, so now I own it and have reread it and it's just as magical.
Recommend.
Read in 2008.
June
Mar 14, 2016 June rated it really liked it
Loved it! A bit slow in the beginning, but once the two wolves became part of the Crisler "family" I could hardly put it down.
Amazing story of a couple that spends 18 months north of the Brooks Range in AK in 1958-9.
Talon Rue
Talon Rue rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2012
Hong.yang
Hong.yang rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2012
H
H rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2011
Mo Sheltie
Mo Sheltie rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2014
Jack
Jack rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2012
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2012
Dal Rath
Dal Rath rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2014
David
Feb 27, 2016 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
About wolves and caribou - very good
Sue Mills
Sue Mills rated it really liked it
May 13, 2016
James Vanechaute
James Vanechaute rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2014
Steve S.
Steve S. rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2014
John
John rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2013
Amanda Schroeder
Amanda Schroeder rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2016
Heart
Heart rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2011
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2012
Skye Taylor
Skye Taylor rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2014
Shiner
Shiner rated it did not like it
Aug 31, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2013
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Claudia
Claudia rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2011
Robin Harvey
Robin Harvey rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2014
Julissa Franco
Julissa Franco rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2015