Four Months to a Four-hour Marathon,Updated

Four Months to a Four-hour Marathon,Updated

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Let 4 Months to a 4-Hour Marathon be your personal trainer. Whether you’re a competitive veteran or a recreational beginner, this essential guide will tell you exactly what to eat, what to wear, what to expect, and how to train. When race day arrives, author Dave Kuehls, contributing editor at Runner’s World and a marathoner himself, will have you in the best shape of your...more
Published June 27th 2006 by Perigee Trade

Nicoal
Since when does your dad running a marathon make you an expert on marathon training? Pfft.
Robyn
I was extremely disappointed in this book. I thought this book was going to give me some great insight into training for my first marathon. I received it in the mail and was surprised to find it's about 86 pages long. After about 5 pages I realized it's one of those books that could be condensed into a 3-fold pamphlet. It doesn't say anything new. In fact, it's pretty outdated, especially the section on clothing where he recommends 100% cotton socks and actually addresses the option of wearing "...more
Jessica
Jun 30, 2008 Jessica rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: these mysterious legions who have never run before but for some reason are dying to run a marathon
Shelves: phys-ed
This book was way too gentle and supportive for me. I think need a more abusive and challenging tone than the one generally found in running books. And yet, I continue to read them compulsively....

This book starts out by announcing that Oprah Winfrey managed to run her very first marathon in four hours. I found this fact totally inspiring -- "If Oprah can do it, so can I!" -- until I remembered that in addition to running a four-hour marathon, she has also managed to build a towering entertainme...more
Justin
Excellent as a training guide and plan. But needs updating to address current thinking around diet, long runs etc. It's also quite Americanised and makes some generalisation about procedures at runs. The fastest runs listed are all in the USA.
Jenny
This book is poorly written and redundant. I couldn't finish reading it because the author's voice was juvenile, inexperienced and annoying. A more comprehensive and capable read on training for a marathon is Smart Marathon Training by Jeff Horowitz. This book educates and the author knows a thing or two about strength training and how to train the muscles and the energy systems of the human body. It's not just about running...it's about building the body that can survive and thrive through 26.2...more
Meggen
A good little book with some good tips for marathon running. I wish it had been longer and a little more in-depth. One thing that I struggled with in completing the suggested training is that I felt like it made me a slower runner. With all the slow stamina runs that the schedule has you do, I felt like my body got used to running at a slower pace. I have struggled to get it back to where I used to be ever since. But, still there are some tips worth reading the book for.
Malina
I first read this book several years ago and may actually own the earlier edition. However I like his program for several reasons and am currently following it while I train for a marathon. I like that it doesn't emphasize total miles run each week as much as getting in various types of workouts. I like that it involves some interval/speed work at the beginning and that cross training is essential as well. Hopefully I will be finishing successfully in the fall!
Denise
4 Months to a 4-Hour Marathon is a great book for beginning runners, as well as a good reminder for experienced runners. It is a great motivator. For beginners, the author offers clarification of some runners' lingo but you won't find yourself feeling babied if you are more experienced. Dave Kuehls offers meal ideas and also some marathon preparation plans. The book is a concise read for those that appreciate brevity.
AJ
This book is really extremely basic. It covers an awful lot of things that experienced runners will skip over. Chapter 7 are the weekly training plans, the most important part of the book, and the rest for me was not worth reading. (I already have gear, know where to run, and have been doing it for 7 years and have already run 2 marathons.) So if you're a beginner, read the whole thing! Otherwise just skip to chapter 7.
Luisa
Funny, simple, short and SUPER INFORMATIVE. When he took me through the play by play narration of race day, I went there in my minds eye and could, for the first time, ACTUALLY envision myself running my marathon. I REALLY needed the tempo and speed training exercises that he teaches. Can't wait to alter my training program and get started what he taught me.
Jenn
I really don't have any desire to run a marathon, but I would like to improve my running endurance overall, so I checked out this book for the Kindle at the library. It took me less than an hour to read. It is a little dated, but good basic information. I'm not sure what I will be able to apply, though the section on common injuries was helpful.
Hannah
Offers really helpful advice for every aspect of marathon training, from what to wear in different weather to the best types of energy replacement food/fluids to actual training schedules for different time goals. I plan to modify the schedules to train for a half marathon, so hopefully the advice will be as good as it sounds in theory.
Denver
If you glean nothing else from this book, know this: "Oprah Winfrey ran her first marathon in 4 hours.". This book is really for those who are trying to get a decent time, but not for competitive athletes trying to qualify for Boston.
Riana Elizabeth
Not great for seasoned long-distance runners, but some helpful tips to work in to your training schedule. For newbie long-distancers, covers some of the glossary & training technique you ~have~ to know to safely accomplish long runs.
Hung Tra
Cuốn sách được viết bởi 1 marathoner nghiệp dư chứ không phải của 1 certified coach. Không có nhiều thông tin có giá trị và có 1 sô thông tin không chính xác lắm (vi dụ tác giả khẳng định khi chạy thì đáp gót)
Kate
Such a helpful and practical guide! Although I read this book cover to cover prior to race training, I'm looking forward to re-reading as a train for the race.
Laura Mitchell
this was a short read, i bought it when i decided to run my first marathon and i hang onto it. it reiterated what i already knew about running a marathon.
A. Gamble
This book was recommended to me by a woman who wins almost every competitive running event she enters. For her, great. For me, not enough.
Sam
A little dated but still good. Not going to follow the recommended program but there was some good stuff about speedwork.
Elizabeth
Gearing up for a first time maratahon in November! This is giving my great tips!
Mecca
training plan is good, but I have a hard time with the advice "wear cotton socks"
Misty Lambert
We'll see what I think in a year after I complete my first marathon!
Bethany
this is the year...
Jennifer Varnadore
Jennifer Varnadore marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Valerie Wilson
Valerie Wilson marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Four Months to a Four-hour Marathon 3 Months to Your First 5k Run Away From Fat: The 90 Day Weight Loss Programme How to Run a Personal Record: Cover the Ground in Front of You Faster Than Ever Before How to Run a Personal Record