Start by marking “Lifting Depression: A Neuroscientist's Hands-On Approach to Activating Your Brain's Healing Power” as Want to Read:

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  24 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
In this fascinating exploration of depression, neuroscientist Kelly Lambert highlights her groundbreaking research suggesting that important clues to the mysteries of this disease have been in our hands all along. She identifies a circuit in the human brain—connecting movement, feeling, and cognition—that is responsible for symptoms of depression, and shows that when we kn ...more
Published January 5th 2010 by Basic Books (first published April 7th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Lifting Depression, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lifting Depression

Alexis Allen
Jun 07, 2014 Alexis Allen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, I don't know what effect this book might have for folks with clinical depression or a medical condition, but I will tell you that I found it invaluable for when I went through a dark time in my life. It's based on science, and while some of the advice in here is familiar, the added information of how they were able to substantiate its effectiveness was a great comfort to me.

I really, I can't recommend this enough if you find yourself struggling.
Maddog
Jul 31, 2012 Maddog rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always knew working on projects and doing things with my hands was "good for me" and made me feel good -- this book offers scientific reasons why (brain chemistry and whatnot) and why it can be considered necessary for overall good health.
Jeff
Oct 28, 2010 Jeff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting ideas here so far, though I'm skeptical of the science, possibly in part because I'm not enjoying Lambert's writing style very much--what little humor there is feels forced (and academic-ish), which isn't always a bad thing, but rubs me the wrong way here. I think the book is trying to walk a line between being a self-help book and being a pop-neurology book, and it gets tripped up.

Still, lots of what she has to say is fascinating (especially the function of using one's hands
Sally
Jan 10, 2009 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful and informative; a neuroscientist presents evidence and rationale for doing goal-directed, rewarding activity, particularly with one's hands, to help end depression and guard against it. Also gives reasons why she doesn't find the theory and evidence regarding SSRIs as a cure for depression convincing.
Krysten
Initially I was skeptical about the neuroscientist's discovery, and I was wary when she placed herself in the category of "depressed" when all she experienced was grief after her mother died. I guess I couldn't really get past that, and then I just lost interest.
Niswat
Jun 22, 2013 Niswat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informative to know how much of the brain is devoted to the use of our hands. To stimulate the brain and get happier, do something with your hands! Even if it's just vacuuming.
JayeL
Dec 15, 2008 JayeL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Heard about this book on the To the Best of Our Knowledge show called Reconsidering Craft, 12/14/2008: http://www.wpr.org/book/081214a.cfm.
Flat
Dec 09, 2010 Flat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Never thought of getting DHEA and cortisol tests.
chubs
Sep 21, 2010 chubs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Never thought of getting DHEA and cortisol tests.
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Sam Rogers
Sam Rogers rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2016
Monster
Monster rated it it was ok
Apr 29, 2016
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Tanja
Tanja marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Fox Hunt
Fox Hunt marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Anandvaidya
Anandvaidya rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2015
Sarah Jane
Sarah Jane rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2015
Mengru
Mengru marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Michel Tremblay
Michel Tremblay rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2015
Bonnie DaRienzo
Bonnie DaRienzo marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Lee
Lee rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2015
Aleta Sullivan
Aleta Sullivan rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2015
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Layla Stacy Lambert
Layla Stacy Lambert marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Cedric Pouralle
Cedric Pouralle marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Ashok
Ashok marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Bonnie Renn
Bonnie Renn rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2015