Start by marking “If I Could Fly” as Want to Read:
If I Could Fly

If I Could Fly

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  14 reviews

Fifteen-year-old Doris is used to taking care of herself. Her musician parents have always spent more time singing in nightclubs than watching after her. But when her ailing mother goes home to Puerto Rico to get well and pursue a singing career there, and her father finds a new girlfriend, Doris is more alone than she’s ever been. Disconnected from her family and her bes

Published May 24th 2011 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about If I Could Fly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If I Could Fly

Jacqueline
I am a fan of Judith Cofer. After reading Call me Maria, I had to read something else by her. I enjoyed this one, too. There were some similar themes--teenage girl dealing with her parents' divorce, torn between Puerto Rico and New York. The characters are memorable and well-drawn. I especially liked the older characters in this novel, the Abuela and her older friend, Dona Iris. I had some favorite quotes:

p. 85 "Anger is heavier than joy or grief."

p.35 "You cannot bring the dead back home with p
Virginia Walter
I loved "An Island Like You," so it was a pleasure to link up with some of those young people again. This book focuses on Doris, now fifteen, who is coping with a changing family situation. Her mother has left suddenly to go back to Puerto Rico, claiming health problems and a desire to pursue her singing career there. Yoli is pregnant, and Arturo is plagued by bullies. Doris comes through with a stronger sense of who she is and what she can do. I want to read more about her friends, especially A ...more
OCLS Staff Picks
This touching realistic-fiction novel showcases diverse family relations and what it means to grow up with parents that are often unavailable. If you enjoy coming of age stories wrought with obstacles to overcome and emotional development, then this book will be a real treat for you.

Available from OCLS in print.

Imagine That! (Teen Summer Reading Program 2012) recommended book

Alma  Ramos-McDermott
Doris’ parents are unlike anyone else’s in her barrio. They are salseros, as her father manages two bands, and her mother is a singer in one of them. Every night they have a gig, and Doris is left on her own. She feels neglected and lonely, spending her time taking care of pigeons on her roof. While caring for them and watching them fly, she imagines what it would be like to fly away from her life and begin a new one.

Read more at: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/
Shivangi Zala
The book was good and it was also interesting .
Anne
Doris is the 15 year old daughter of two salsa musicians. When her mother decides to return to Puerto Rico in order to pursue her musical career, Doris is left with dad and his new girlfriend. For solace, Doris turns to her friends Arturo and Yolanda, but they have issues of their own, so Doris is left with the pigeons on the roof of her apartment building that an elderly neighbor cares for. Doris watches the birds and wishes that she could be more like them.
Zachary
If I Could Fly, have you ever been away from your mom for two months? Doris' mom was a salsa dancer for her dads band. Doris went to live with her mom after her mom fainted on stage and said she had a bad heart. My favorite part is when Doris goes to stay with her mother while she is sick. If you like family drama, you will love this book.
Ronni
Jan 22, 2012 Ronni rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: yal, mg
Wanted to like it more than I did. The middle part of the book is even four star stuff, but overall I just wanted to get through it. Sort of slow. Moody more than plotty. The excerpts on pigeon care rubbed me wrong, otherwise the bird motif was well done.
Ishita
Doris,a fifteen-year-old,is living with her dad. Her mom has heart problems and has went to live with Doris' grandmother without leaving a notice. Doris is so worried. Should she live with her father and life or her mom?
Paige
Jul 23, 2011 Paige rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Jayla Johnson
I had high hopes for this novel. The plot seemed interesting and I like diverse characters; it wasn’t horrible, just not really the book for me.
Alejandro Caycedo
From a great author not all books are equally good.
Joy
A wonderful coming of age story.
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
alexandra stumpf
alexandra stumpf marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Sherrie
Sherrie marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Kary Efp
Kary Efp marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Liana Medina
Liana Medina marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Helena Ison
Helena Ison marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Bridgette
Bridgette marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Amina
Amina marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Aliana
Aliana marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • What Can(t) Wait
  • Stir It Up
  • Ask My Mood Ring How I Feel
  • Silhouetted by the Blue
  • Maximilian & the Mystery of the Guardian Angel: A Bilingual Lucha Libre Thriller
  • Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony
  • The Dark Zone (Galahad, #4)
  • When We Wuz Famous
  • A la Carte
  • Good-Bye Pink Pig
  • The Triceratops Pops Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #15)
  • Glitz
  • A Scary Scene in a Scary Movie
  • The Girl of His Dreams
  • Jazz in Love
  • You Don't Know About Me
  • Leap
  • Abby Spencer Goes to Bollywood
Judith Ortiz Cofer (born in 1952) is a Puerto Rican author. Her work spans a range of literary genres including poetry, short stories, autobiography, essays, and young-adult fiction.

Judith Ortiz Cofer was born in Hormigueros, Puerto Rico, on February 24, 1952. She moved to Paterson, New Jersey with her family in 1956. They often made back-and-forth trips between Paterson and Hormigueros. In 1967,
More about Judith Ortiz Cofer...
The Meaning of Consuelo Call Me Maria An Island Like You: Stories of the Barrio Silent Dancing: A Partial Remembrance of a Puerto Rican Childhood The Latin Deli: Prose and Poetry