Huge Harold

Huge Harold

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  319 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The world seems a cold place to Harold, a very overgrown rabbit, until he finds his niche as a champion trotter.
Published (first published January 9th 1974)

Rachel
I will admit that when I saw the cover illustration for this book, I wondered if it was influenced by "Harvey", that Jimmy Stewart movie about man with the imaginary 6 ft tall rabbit companion. I really enjoyed this story about a young rabbit who can’t stop growing, though I know my son was a bit disappointed that there weren’t any trains in it. Harold outgrows his family and must seek refuge in the deep forest, but he only finds predators though, so he must run away.
He finds a field full of yu...more
Fenton  Hardy
Without a doubt my favorite book as a child. The rhymes are simple but memorable. My daughter and I still cite passages of Huge Harold as we drive. Peet's wonderful sense of humor is evident in both the text and the illustrations which perfectly capture the situations in which poor Harold finds himself. When my original copy disappeared, my brother kindly bought me a replacement - thanks Jon - and now I read it to my daughter. She loves the book too.
Sonya Huser
Harold the rabbit grows so big that he becomes the size of a cow, and must leave his home to find refuge in dark woods or haunted houses, until one day he settles down in the hayloft of a barn. The farmer there takes good care of him and Harold becomes a famous and well-loved attraction at the fair.
Haley Hamilton
Teaches students to find what they are good at (the rabbit found his niche, running). You may not always feel like you have a place, but there is a place for everyone. The whole story rhymes as well. Can use for sequencing to ask where the rabbit went and where he finally ended up safe.
Rocheal Hoffman
Love!! Possibly one of my favorite books. This would be great for a rhyming example, also a lead on character development and the importance of being accepting.
Shannon
A guest teacher read this to my students and they absolutely loved it. I'm hoping to do an author study with Bill Peet using his autobiography in the future.
Keith Bowden
Actually, my copy is hardcover. Oh well, Harold is great at any size!
babyhippoface
Great example of solid rhythm and rhyme, and a fun story, too.
Terryann Saint
Simply love everything Bill Peet ever did.
Kim
We love Bill Peet!
Attie
Jan 26, 2008 Attie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kidz
Recommended to Attie by: me
it's a cute story.
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Suzy Platt
Suzy Platt marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
India
India marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Val
Val added it
Jun 16, 2014
  • The Rejection Collection: Cartoons You Never Saw, and Never Will See, in The New Yorker
  • A Harry The Dirty Dog Treasury: Three Stories
  • Get Thee to a Punnery: An Anthology of Intentional Assaults Upon the English Language
  • Pope Joan: Translated & Adapted from the Greek
  • The Littles Take A Trip
  • There's No Such Thing as a Dragon
  • Pancakes for Breakfast
  • Masquerade
  • Andrew Henry's Meadow
  • The World of Chas Addams
  • The Magic School Bus and the Electric Field Trip (The Magic School Bus, #9)
  • Viva la Repartee: Clever Comebacks and Witty Retorts from History's Great Wits and Wordsmiths
  • Superior Person's Book of Words
  • Bun Bun Button
  • To Market, To Market
  • We Share Everything!
  • The Biggest House in the World
  • Toot & Puddle: You Are My Sunshine
Bill Peet was an American children's book illustrator and a story writer for Disney Studios. He joined Disney in 1937 and worked on The Jungle Book, Song of the South, Cinderella, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, Goliath II, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Three Caballeros, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and other stories.

Aft...more
More about Bill Peet...
The Wump World Capyboppy Bill Peet: An Autobiography The Whingdingdilly The Caboose Who Got Loose