Start by marking “Watchers in the Night (The Guardians of the Night, #1)” as Want to Read:
Watchers in the Night (The Guardians of the Night, #1)

Watchers in the Night (The Guardians of the Night #1)

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  696 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Vampires.

They hunt in every major city, hidden by the crowds, shielded by disbelief. They are Killers, and their prey is human.

Not all vampires are Killers. The Guardians of the Night sacrifice the superior physical and psychic strength that comes with feeding on humans to protect them. But the Guardians walk a thin line, for even a single kill could leave them helplessly
Published October 31st 2006 by Tor Paranormal Romance

To ask other readers questions about Watchers in the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Watchers in the Night

Cheryl
Jul 18, 2014 Cheryl rated it it was ok
I really liked this author's Faeriewalker series and her other series Nikki Glass. So I decided to go back and try out some of this author's prior novels. I like vampire stories. This book was not one of the author's best. I felt like I was kind of in a dream while reading this book. I briefly remember going through the motions of reading it but I can't remember much about what happened between the pages. None of the characters really were that exciting and jumped off the pages at me. Which is n ...more
Shan
Oct 10, 2013 Shan rated it liked it
I love pnr, but this one was pushing it in the reality department. I just don't think that it is believable that a woman would wait for three years for a man that you have assumed jilted you. I would have been pissed not worrying about where the heck he went off to. I am also supposed to believe that he would show himself when she was "in danger", when she was once a cop and now a PI.

Anyway, besides that I thought the story was ok. I love the different takes that authors have on vampires. Some
Tara Frye
Dec 18, 2014 Tara Frye rated it did not like it
I was expecting this book to be amazing because, I'm like obsessed with vampires but, it was wayyy to raunchy for me. Too much sex. I like sex in books don't get me wrong but this was too much description. It was gross. I always read the sentence at the end of the books before reading and I don't really know why it's just my thing but at the end of this book it says "Carolyn straddled him,squeezing her thighs around his hardness. just let her try!!! Like EWWWWW around his hardness. Who would de ...more
Izzy
Aug 13, 2015 Izzy rated it it was ok
Had hopes that this book would be similar to an early Anita Blake novel -- my imagination ran something along the lines of, "Where vampires were known in this world, there's a kick-ass heroine who is attempting to fight against sexual chemistry with a vampire, all the while trying to solve gritty murders."

Unfortunately, it didn't turn out to be anything like that. I was also uncomfortable at the level of domestic abuse that featured in the main relationship: holding a gun, threatening to shoot h
Sherri
Oct 29, 2015 Sherri rated it liked it
I’ve been a fan of Jenna Black since I first picked up her Morgan Kingsley series, so I was excited to finally get a chance to explore this new series The Guardians of the Night. Note to readers: The Guardians of the Night Series is Ms. Black’s first published series (2006-2008) which predates her Morgan Kingsley, Fairiewalker and Nikki Glass series, so be aware you are reading early works and adjust your expectations accordingly.

Watchers in the Night is the first in the series and introduces us
Steff
Dec 27, 2008 Steff rated it liked it
The past three years have not been easy for Carolyn Mathers. Her fiancé disappeared days before their wedding and her refusal to give up on the search got her kicked off the police force.

Gray James has also had a particularly hard three years. The night of his bachelor party he was attacked by a vampire and now lives a solitary life trying to forget about his love for Carolyn. And to top it all off, he is watched every second of his waking hours by vampires known as Guardians, those who protect
Jane Stewart
Sep 22, 2010 Jane Stewart rated it it was ok
Typical mystery story of good guys vs. bad guys with predictable characters. I wanted something a little more unique.

STORY BRIEF:
There are two kinds of vampires: Killers who kill humans and Guardians who drink sheep’s blood and protect humans by killing Killers. Carolyn’s fiancé Gray was turned into a vampire just before their wedding 3 years ago. He left her to protect her. Gray doesn’t kill humans but he hasn’t officially joined the Guardians. She has been wondering why he left and mourning th
Cheryl Landmark
Jan 08, 2012 Cheryl Landmark rated it liked it
Not a bad book and fairly fast-paced. I finished it in one day.

The concept of good vampires versus bad vampires is not new, but Ms. Black handled it quite well, and her writing was also very good. What I found a little surprising was that a lot of the familiar characteristics of vampirism--no heartbeat, cold-blooded bodies, etc.--were not present in this book. The vampires seemed more human and mortal than undead creatures, which is how they are normally portrayed.

One of the pet peeves I have wi
78sunny
Jul 06, 2012 78sunny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-highlights
4,6 von 5 Sternen
*Inhalt:*
Vor drei Jahren hat Carolyns Freund, Gray, sie ein paar Tage vor der Hochzeit ohne ein Wort des Abschied verlassen. Jetzt ist er plötzlich da um sie vor einem Straßenräuber zu beschützen und sie findet heraus, dass er sie nicht freiwillig verlassen hat, sondern in einen Vampir verwandelt wurde. Gray weigert sich ein Guardian zu werden obwohl er nach ihren Bestimmungen auf menschliches Blut verzichtet. Die Guardians behalten ihn nun im Auge aus Angst er könnte zum Killer
Theresa
Nov 10, 2013 Theresa rated it liked it
Very good vampire/human detective story. Romance a bit weak. Didn't like ending as has no proper conclusion.

Day before their wedding, Gray disappears. Three years later, Caroline is still 'morning' him, when suddenly he appears to rescue her from an attack, then disappears again. Caroline, a private investigator, starts a search for him and finds him only to discover he's a vampire.

The town is being terroized by a serial killer and Gray's fellow 'good' vampires suspect he's the killer. So Ca
Karen
Mar 26, 2008 Karen rated it it was amazing
"fast-paced paranormal romance"

Carolyn Mathers, a P.I., thought that she would never see her ex-fiancé again, but there he is, appearing out of nowhere to save her from a would-be attacker. One, she doesn't need saving, since she is quite capable of defending herself; and two, she wants to know where in the heck he has been for the last two years.

Gray James hadn't wanted to abandon Carolyn; however, circumstances beyond his control gave him no choice. Now he made matters worse, by letting her se
Marian
Feb 13, 2016 Marian rated it liked it
I didn't love, neither did I hated the book, but the main characters didn't appeal to me that much. I did love the side characters a lot! That's the only good reason to pick up the next book in the series in my opinion.
Dr susan
Mar 23, 2014 Dr susan rated it liked it
I did not really connect to the characters in Watchers in the Night. The premise is good, the story is entertaining, but no vested interest in the main characters. I may try Drake's or Jules's story when they are re-released.
Robin
Oct 13, 2009 Robin rated it liked it
This wasn't a bad book, I would say it was ok - just ok. It is about a PI by the name of Carolyn whose fiance disappeared without a trace shortly before their wedding. Weird characteristics of her version of vampires. For example, they may not drink from humans only lambs blood mixed with milk. Interesting concept??

The story consists of Carolyn's almost paranoid behavior in looking for her fiance and finding out what happened to him. The characters didn't seem very bright which again was an inte
chucklesthescot
Oct 19, 2011 chucklesthescot rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, uf-pnr, abandoned
Carolyn was jilted just before her wedding and for three years she has been convinced that something bad happened to Gray. Then he suddenly turns up to stop her being attacked but he refuses to answer any of her questions. Being a former detective, turned P.I, she is determined to discover his secret. She is not prepared to discover that he is a vampire who is being wrongly accused of murder.

The idea of this book was fine and there is nothing wrong with the writing but it was just taking so long
Marieli
Aug 04, 2014 Marieli rated it it was ok
Carolyn can take on bad guys, vampires-good and bad, as well as her own demons. She doesn't need anyone, not even Gray. It was like watching a dog fight, all the growling and circling. What's the point?
Lori Whitwam
Feb 11, 2008 Lori Whitwam rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampire
I put off reading this one, because it looked like a crappy romance thinly veiled as a vampire book. Happily, I was wrong. The plot was much more intricate than I expected, with plenty of twists and hidden agendas, and interesting characters. Sure, there was a romance angle. The lead character had been left at the altar three years ago... and suddenly he reappears. What she doesn't know is he left because he'd been changed into a vampire and was trying to protect her. As a former cop and current ...more
Jill Bradley
Jun 29, 2014 Jill Bradley rated it liked it
Meh typical warriors hold back the evil from the world and they slowly meet their soul mates who save them from a terrible fate
Hope Faith
May 18, 2016 Hope Faith rated it really liked it
I read this book a long ass time ago but I remember enjoying it a lot.
So four stars, until I reread it. c:
Kay
Jun 08, 2009 Kay rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, 2009
I LOVE Jenna Black's Morgan Kingsley books and I've been thinking about giving this one a try for a while. It was bleh for me. I think it might have been because I didn't care for the secondary characters at all, and they were an important part of the book. I ended up skimming probably 2/3 of the book just so I could get finished with it.

It's not a terribly written book; it just didn't work for me. I probably had too high expectations based on reading Black's other series. Guess I'll have to fin
Sonja
Feb 18, 2009 Sonja rated it really liked it
I had a great time reading this book because of the fast plot, the great action scenes, and the sizzling chemistry between the main characters. Jenna’s hero and heroine are so much fun to follow! The mystery kept me guessing, but the real treat for me was seeing Carolyn and Gray relearn each other and come to a new understanding between them.

I can’t help but mention the highly entertaining supporting characters, Hannah and Jules, and I hope they’ll have a book of their own somewhere along the li
Yolanda Sfetsos
Jan 01, 2011 Yolanda Sfetsos rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and can't wait to get into the series.

Carolyn and Gray really are awesome, well-rounded characters that carry this story right through to the end. There were other points of view that were also great, but I just found myself totally focused and engrossed in the story between Carolyn and Gray. The mystery was also intriguing, and kept me guessing to the end. I was very satisfied when I got to the last page and felt that the story was wrapped up.
E.
Aug 16, 2010 E. rated it it was ok
Vampires with their own policing organization (Guardians) that tries to protect mortals from Killers (who are addicted to human blood). A jilted policewoman who retires from the force to become a private investigator and discovers that her former fiance is a vampire. A somewhat weak beginning with some premises contradictory to the traditional perceptions of vampires (dormancy with breathing, warm body temperatures).
Nae
Jun 23, 2013 Nae rated it really liked it
This was a different type of book than I'm used to. Oh it still had the supernatural of course, but it is also kind of a mystery novel too. I never was a big fan of mystery novels which is why I was sort of surprised that I enjoyed this book so much. Most of the characters are well developed and there was plenty of suspense and mystery. It wasn't predictable and it had a nice little plot twist that I wasn't expecting.
Audrey Moore
Worth reading, but didn't strike me as great. I will, however, complete the series in the hope that it becomes great.
Vasya
Feb 04, 2013 Vasya rated it it was ok
Monotony, what have you done to me? Or should I compare monotony to this book? I think that they would be on the same level if I do.

There was no passion that I could relate to in this book. Everything is somehow told, and not shown through actions and overall, I thought that most of the characters were very, very bland. Not an enjoyable read for me.
Elizabeth
Jul 30, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
If you like Black's Morgan Kingsley series, you probably won't care for the "Guardians" books.

I found Watchers in the Night to be very much stuck in the watered-down paranormal romance genre with cardboard characters and a phoned-in plot.

Fans of her urban fantasy should steer clear of this one.
Stephanie
Sep 11, 2009 Stephanie rated it it was ok
Shelves: paranormal
While it was a quick little read the glaring typos were annoying. It read like your typical romance novel with a bit of vampire thrown in to try to make it exciting. Try being the key word here. I prefer books with more substance so I can't say I'll run out to get the next book.
Tara
Jun 15, 2011 Tara rated it really liked it
this was my first ever book in the adult books
and it was great I will one day get the next book (maybe) the one thing I hated about this
book was the last two lines at the end I do wish it didn't have to end like that it took me 3 hour to gety it out of my head.
Terri
Jun 01, 2012 Terri rated it liked it
Though I did enjoy reading this book, it just didn't measure up to some of the books I have read previously. It took awhile for things to get going and the story line was just a bit dull for me. Everything happened at the end and it happened rather quickly too.
  • Out of the Night (Night Slayer, #1)
  • Shades of Gray (Vampire Trilogy, #1)
  • Touch of Madness (Thrall #2)
  • Beyond the Pale (Darkwing Chronicles, #1)
  • Ravenous (The Dark Forgotten, #1)
  • Bond of Blood (Texas Vampires #1)
  • Ceremony of Three
  • Passionate Thirst (Candace Steele Vampire Killer #1)
  • Seduced By Shadows (Marked Souls, #1)
  • The Demon's Daughter (Tale of the Demon World, #1)
  • The Vampire's Seduction (Savannah Vampire, #1)
  • In Twilight's Shadow (Light Warriors #2)
  • Mortal Temptations (Mortal, #1)
  • I Burn for You (Primes, #1)
  • Midnight Reign (Vampire Babylon, #2)
  • Night Falls Darkly (Shadow Guard, #1)
  • The Wages of Sin (Cin Craven, #1)
  • Shadow of the Vampire
Jenna Black is your typical writer. Which means she's an "experience junkie." She got her BA in physical anthropology and French from Duke University.

Once upon a time, she dreamed she would be the next Jane Goodall, camping in the bush making fabulous discoveries about primate behavior. Then, during her senior year at Duke, she did some actual research in the field and made this shocking discovery
More about Jenna Black...

The Guardians of the Night (4 books)
  • Secrets in the Shadows (The Guardians of the Night, #2)
  • Shadows On The Soul (The Guardians of the Night, #3)
  • Hungers of the Heart (The Guardians of the Night, #4)