Start by marking “The Caboose Who Got Loose” as Want to Read:
The Caboose Who Got Loose

The Caboose Who Got Loose

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  751 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Katy Caboose is tired of being last, and one day a freak accident allows her to realize her dream of peace and solitude.
Published February 19th 1980 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Caboose Who Got Loose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Caboose Who Got Loose

The Little Engine That Could by Watty PiperThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgFreight Train by Donald CrewsThe Little Red Caboose by Marian PotterTrains by Byron Barton
Picture Books about Trains
15th out of 109 books — 44 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakHarold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett JohnsonCars and Trucks and Things That Go by Richard ScarryThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleFreight Train by Donald Crews
Greatest little boy books ... ages 2 - 6
48th out of 313 books — 105 voters

More lists with this book...

booklady
Jul 20, 2008 booklady rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: train lovers
My oldest daughter loved trains when she was little; one of her first words was 'choo choo'. She received this book from her paternal grandparents as a Christmas gift when she was three and I read it to her so many times she had it memorized. I'm not saying it's for everyone or that it's great literature, but if you have any die-hard train fans out there--especially if they are little girls--this might be the book for them. It's about a little caboose named Katy and she has a hankering to be fre ...more
I loved this book as a child. It was one my grandmother kept at her house and read to me often when I visited. It was a thoroughly appealing story with a lot of action and an adventurous sense of excitement.

Now, though, I find myself feeling a touch awkward about the clear subtext that Katy's daydreaming about a different life and aspiring to get a better view that the one from the end of the train is subversive and fraught with danger. Good little cabooses would never be so foolish.

I know that
Ronyell
“The Caboose Who Got Loose” is a great story from the creative mind of Bill Peet about a small caboose named Katy who wants to escape her life as a caboose and live happily in a peaceful place. “The Caboose Who Got Loose” may be a bit tedious for some children, but it is still a cute little story nonetheless.

Bill Peet’s story about a caboose who wants to live a peaceful life in the countryside is a great tale for many children. Children will feel for Katy’s sadness at being a mere caboose and n
Nicole Fiene
The Caboose Who Got Loose written and illustrated by Bill Peet tells the tale of a caboose who wishes she could be anything but the tail end of a train. The book travels along with Katy Caboose as she is pulled down the train tracks, through the countryside in a plume of black smoke. The first thing I noticed as I read through the book was the bright illustrations. The illustrations seem to be done in charcoal or crayon, and mostly everything in each illustration carries bright colors except for ...more
Rachel
I’ve been fascinated by Bill Peet ever since I read his autobiography for the Caldecott Challenge. I knew he wrote some children’s books, but had no idea that he did so many (34 total). His work reminded me a lot of Dr Seuss, with the crazy rhymes for the book. I guess you have to get pretty creative when working with the word “caboose”. He worked for Walt Disney and you can definitely see the influence in the way he draws houses and even Katy Caboose, from his work on the animated shorts “Susie ...more
Kerry (The Roaming Librarian)
Such a cute little story about a Caboose named Katie who doesn't enjoy riding around on the back of the train. It's too smoky and too scary and she spends most of her trips alone and afraid. The illustrations (which seem to be pencil, so far as I can tell) are innocent and sweet, with some great detailing in the backgrounds and the trains. Katy the Caboose appears young and child-like, and I enjoyed how she tried to change her outlook on riding the rails. What I enjoyed the most about this story ...more
Desiree
My 3 and a half year old really seemed to like the book. He was enthralled with everything but the ending. He couldn't understand why the caboose would want to stay in a pair of evergreen trees?
Elizabeth
This is such a cute little book! Any child who likes trains will like it. My little man loves this book, and it's even more special because we have the copy that his daddy had as a child.
Pattyb
I love Bill Peet books - the rhyming, the illustrations, the message. This poor caboose dreams of living a quiet life, and his wish comes true.
Sean
Good read...that is ok to read over and over and over again...as is proven every night so far this month.
Dolly
Apr 25, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens, rhyming
We discovered Bill Peet's books about 6 months ago and have been steadily borrowing his books from our local library since. We've really liked the different stories and want to read more of his stories.

This is a long, but entertaining story about an anthropomorphic caboose who wishes to settle down and rest. The rhyming narrative is dramatic, made even more so by the music and sound effects as well as by Josefina Bosch who reads this book on the accompanying CD we got with the book as part of a
Relyn
Aug 31, 2008 Relyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers & parents
Recommended to Relyn by: I saw it while browsing GoodReads
I try to read a story to my class each morning in addition to our regular afternoon read aloud. Some days we have time. Some days we don't. This book has adorable illustrations by the author. The book feels a lot like The Little House
Having said all that, this book is just a sweet story. The kids and I pulled the lesson out of it. The book never feels cloying or preachy. Love it!
Kat
This beautifully illustrated story is of a scared and unhappy little caboose (Katy) told in rhyme. Katy hates her jolting, noisy, smoke filled existence and longs to be settled somewhere peaceful and quiet. She finds her rides behind freight trains very frightening. Until one day, she is accidentally dislodged from her train and runs off the tracks landing wedged between two spruce trees where she lives happily ever after with the squirrels and the birds.

The story is fun to read aloud because o
Paul Hardin
I particularly enjoy reading about trains and how different parts of trains would feel and be if they were something else. This rhyme book is no different, it is about the Caboose of a train and how she struggles in dealing with just being a caboose. She wants desperately to be the lead locomotive and lead the train through the country. One day she breaks free from the rest of the train and goes on a little adventure.
I enjoyed this book because it is about trains and also because it has a great
Fjóla
May 29, 2012 Fjóla rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 5 - 8 year olds, fans of classic train stories
What a quaint little old book that my son dug out of the shelves at the library. Now, that he'd like a story about a little red caboose was not going to surprise me (caboose was among the first words he ever learned, and his favorite color red), but there's a lot more to this book than I was initially expecting.

First of all, Bill Peet is an author/illustrator/animator (for Disney) with an extensive output. And the colored pencil illustrations in this book are immensely satisfying and charming.
Margaret
My opinion is still out as I only got to hear parts of this one, but I can definitely tell that my K5 daughter loved it as she read it over and over. I'll have to show her the other Bill Pete books we have and order ourselves a copy of this one. As always recommendations by Memoria Press are necessary for our home shelves. Currently a library book.
Joe
My kids thought this was okay a long time ago, and now my grandson likes it, too. But what a strange story. Me, I love Bill Peet's drawing style, the bright colors combined with a lurking dark side. He can personify a railroad car - or a house or a barn - with a recognizable emotion. I can relate to a caboose who hates his role in life as a follower bringing up the rear of an indifferent train, wishing to be free. I cheer for his escape. What I can't quite accept in this silly story is the outco ...more
Cassie
Published in 1971, this classic still makes readers happy. Told through very compelling rhymes, this book can be enjoyed even by young ones who generally aren’t interested in books this long. A delightful conclusion to a story of a caboose who just doesn’t want to be who she is.
Beverley Taylor
Bill Peet is a timeless children's author. His characters are heartwarming and fun for young readers. This particular story is an exciting read for students who need a reminder that they are great just the way they are. I read this to my Pre-K students during our Transportation unit.
Ash
This was a really cute rhyming story about a little caboose who was very unhappy. She goes past and tells of all the houses she'd rather be, than a caboose stuck in endless black smog.It ends on a bright note with Katy living high in a tree,free at last.
Shelley
cute rhyming story about being content with what you have. the lesson wasnt super drawn out and may be missed by little ones if not paying attention. but then the dream came true...so it also is about having a dream.
Janae
We're big fans of Bill Peet. W wanted this one over and over again - I'm sure because of the train; but it also led to a great discussion about glass half full/half empty, and what we want out of life.
Julie
I'm making up for lost time with Bill Peet. Even though his career as a children's book author and illustrator was in its prime in the 1960s and 70s, he never entered my radar in my own childhood or my son's.

Luckily, we know him now, and his books have quickly become favorites of my daughter's. Bill Peet was not only an excellent illustrator, his stories possess something that many children's books lack today: good old common sense coupled with compelling story-telling.

This particular story is
Tanya (mom's small victories)
loved the rhyming story and lovely illustrations. No wonder since the author worked on Disney classic movies and we love Disney movies :)
Kristin Maguire
wish we loved the story as much as the title! not sure how i feel about the message but an interesting idea...
Robin
Quaint rhymes with a fun ending but quite dated. Trains don't have a caboose anymore so their charm is lost.
Maria
I loved Bill Peet as a child. I never had very many of his books because I read most of them at my school's library. Of the ones I read, this one was not my favorite. It's an innocuous story about a caboose who wants more. I think pretty much every element has been done before and done better. Then again, I worry that my perception changes based on the order that I read things. This book is probably interchangeable with The Little House but I reviewed that one more favorably because I reviewed i ...more
Dana
Loved the rhymes! The ending appealed to this introverted mama!
Emerson
He liked it but daddy says it is a strange story. And racial.
Elaine
A fun story about being content.
  • Choo Choo
  • The Little Train (Mr. Small, #4)
  • Thy Friend, Obadiah
  • Trouble with Trolls
  • A House Is a House for Me
  • Marguerite Makes a Book
  • Going to Town
Bill Peet was an American children's book illustrator and a story writer for Disney Studios. He joined Disney in 1937 and worked on The Jungle Book, Song of the South, Cinderella, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, Goliath II, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Three Caballeros, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and other stories.

Aft
More about Bill Peet...
Capyboppy The Wump World Bill Peet: An Autobiography The Whingdingdilly How Droofus the Dragon Lost His Head