Start by marking “Chester the Worldly Pig” as Want to Read:
Chester the Worldly Pig

Chester the Worldly Pig

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  542 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Chester longs to be a performer in the circus, but the road to stardom is rocky until someone discovers Chester's true "worldliness."
Published October 11th 1978 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published October 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Chester the Worldly Pig, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chester the Worldly Pig

Ronyell
“Chester the Worldly Pig” is another children’s book written by Bill Peet and is about how a simple farm pig named Chester wants to become a star in the circus, but realizes that through some tough situations, that he possessed something special the whole time. “Chester the Worldly Pig” may be a bit too long and threatening for some smaller children, but older children will easily be interested in this story.

Bill Peet’s illustrations and writing combined make this book dramatic and charming to
jacky
I have been remembering the ending of this book for years, but never knew what it was. At first, I thought it was the ending to Charlotte's Web, thinking that it Charlotte kept Wilbur alive until he could show this map. But when I reread that book as an adult, I realized that wasn't the case (and liked the book better for it). That left me wondering where I had gotten this idea of a pig with a world map on it. Then just the other day I came across the book at Marden's (a Maine salvage and surplu ...more
Elizabeth S
What a fun, fun book. I enjoy reading and rereading this one with my kids. Moral of the story: Sometimes you work really hard towards a goal, don't reach it, and then suddenly you get there in a completely different way than you thought you would. And when it is told by Bill Peet, you get a lot of humor along the way.
Rachel
I had seen this book at the library book sale, but had not picked it up because I had never read the book, but decided to try to read it at the library when I got the chance. I’m glad I did. It was a cute story.

Chester decides as a piglet that if he wants to avoid the common ending of a pig (being made into food), then he needs to do something extraordinary. He eventually manages, after much trial and tribulation to balance on his nose on the top of a fence post. He waits for the circus train t
Joe
It isn’t as fun as his better stories, but even when he’s slightly off his game, Bill Peet is a wonder. Chester the pig wants to escape the life to which he is fated, eating slops from a trough until he is fat enough to be slaughtered. He’s a plucky pig. He has the initiative and ambition and talent to teach himself to perform tricks. He runs away from the farm to seek his fortune in a circus, but his plans fail in a string of disappointments and near-disasters. He’s chased by a truly scary-look ...more
Liz
Week 3:
Chester is no ordinary pig. Not satisfied with his life's purpose to become sausage and ham, Chester sets out to find a circus. Once there, Chester realizes the circus is not all it's cracked up to be. Again, he runs away only to run into more and more trouble. Hungry and tired, Chester gives himself up to a farmer who greets him with open arms. After several years of contently living like a normal pig, Chester is bought by a man who is able to see what truly makes Chester a "worldly pig.
Jorie Turner
Dec 02, 2007 Jorie Turner rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: grades k-3
Shelves: fiction
Summary: Chester the pig wants to do more with his life than just grow big and be turned into supper, so the little pig decides to practice balancing on the tip of his nose so when the circus train comes by they will notice him and take him away with them to be in the show. The train goes by but all the windows were closed to no one could see him. Chester sneaks out of his pin and chases down the tracks after the train. Once he finally catches up the circus clowns dress him as a baby and use him ...more
Kristine
I'm adding this to the list of "lost" children's books from my childhood... recognized by the illustration of the pig with a feather headdress on top of a white horse. It's a funny story, with a little too much adventure for a little pig, with a great ending.

The story changes enough and is peppered with enough action to keep my 3 year old engaged for about 3/4ths of the book. I suspect in another 3-4 months, we'll be able to actually read the whole thing through. With almost 50 pages, with abou
Dolly
Oct 24, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: older children and parents reading with them
Shelves: 2011, childrens
We borrowed this book from our local library as part of a kit with a paperback book with ISBN0395272718/ISBN13 9780395272718. The narrative is read by Jane Staab. I thought it was a good story, but both of our girls tired of the tale about halfway through and they never finished listening to it. I read it on my own and I thought it was a rather entertaining story. It is a bit long, but not too long, especially for older children. I really liked the ending, too. The illustrations are colorful and ...more
Robin
A pig runs away from a farm, a circus, a bear, and some tramps to another farm to be bought by a carnival that shows him because his spots look like the continents on a globe.
Jenifer Jacobs
Reading Lily's first ever library book from elementary school!
Kamrie
I LOVE Bill Peet! This story is a cute little one about an ambitious pig! This book presents excellent use such literary devices as simile, metaphor, and character development through dialogue. Great introduction into teaching children to add figurative language to their own writing!
Paul  Hankins
A 1985 picture book I salvaged from the warehouse bins. I did a mini study of Bill Peet titles earlier in the year, and it was nice to find this one I had missed back then.
Wooden Horse
A very long read and totally worth it. I was shocked by the ending. The whole time I thought Chester was worldly because of his travels. Boy was I wrong!
Tatum
HATED IT!!! our stupid research teacher made us read a stupid pre-school book!!!! GRRRRR!!!!! And we are in da 6th grade for petes sake!!!
Terri
This is a nice, substantial picture book with wonderful illustrations and a charming, high-adventure story. And there are trains!
Carole
Chester wants to be different, but what he picks as his talent is not what makes him famous.
Greta
It's a great book about being true to yourself and not succumbing to peer pressure.
Colin E.c.
I really love it because it's about a pig and a train and it's really cool.
Attie
Jan 26, 2008 Attie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kidz
Recommended to Attie by: my dad
it's my favorite bill peet book! it's about a pig who gets in the circus.
Sarah Bedan
Very cute book and my son loved after it seeing Charlotte's Web.
Terryann Saint
Simply love everything Bill Peet ever did.
Clare
Did Chester start my love of exploring?
Dutchbaby
Bill Peet is genius!
Emily
This story is so cute...
Kristina
  • Burt Dow, Deep-Water Man
  • The Bee Tree
  • Fritz and the Beautiful Horses
  • The Year At Maple Hill Farm
Bill Peet was an American children's book illustrator and a story writer for Disney Studios. He joined Disney in 1937 and worked on The Jungle Book, Song of the South, Cinderella, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, Goliath II, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Three Caballeros, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and other stories.

Aft
More about Bill Peet...
Capyboppy The Wump World Bill Peet: An Autobiography The Whingdingdilly The Caboose Who Got Loose