Start by marking “UFOs: Generals, Pilots and Government Officials Go On the Record” as Want to Read:
UFOs: Generals, Pilots and Government Officials Go On the Record

UFOs: Generals, Pilots and Government Officials Go On the Record

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  595 ratings  ·  83 reviews
An Air Force major is ordered to approach a brilliant UFO in his Phantom jet over Tehran. He repeatedly attempts to engage and fire on unusual objects heading right toward his aircraft, but his missile control is locked and disabled. Witnessed from the ground, this dogfight becomes the subject of a secret report by the U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency.

In Belgium, an Air Fo
Published August 10th 2010 by Crown Archetype (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about UFOs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about UFOs

Natalie
I loved it!

Fascinating and very well written. The author is able to suck you right in her book, weather you are pro or contra theses "stories". She does never try to convince you of any thing, just lists the facts, that she obviously took some time and effort to gather together, with unemotional and sober judgement.

An insightful conglomerate of information, from various sources, that Believers as well as Skeptics will find entertaining and revealing. Great, great read!

What conclusions your draw
Jon
UFOs are the strangest topic. Completely dismissed by the media, a subject that was believe it or not taken quite seriously up to about 1970 has been almost completely discredited among the intellectual classes in the U.S. Wild conspiracy theories and bizarre tales of "alien abduction" have served to create an ever-expanding mythology that has relegated the entire phenomenon to tabloid status.

Yet for people like me who have followed the literature and tried to separate the slim stalks of wheat
Eric
Interesting book that was maybe a little too long for the subject. The book surveys many of the most interesting UFO incidents seen by government officials like pilots and police. The accounts were interesting and generally believable. The book did spend an inordinate amount of time asking why the U.S. doesn't take UFOs more seriously. The last 2 chapters should have been 2 pages.
Michael Hughes
The definitive work on a much maligned and ridiculed subject. Closes the case—whatever UFOs are, there's no denying they are real. The pilots, generals, and military officials provide firsthand, unimpeachable evidence that no debunker can refute. An instant classic.
Ian
There are thousands and thousands of UFO books out there. They range from such folderol as 'A Dweller on Two Planets', 'Secret Nazi UFO Bases Revealed', or the timeless classic 'GREETINGS EARTHLINGS My name is Appleton and I come from the Planet Reginta' to serious studies of the phenomenon (or phenomena) written by credentialed military officers, main stream scientists, professional historians and investigative journalists.

Ms. Kean's book needs to be added to that latter list, and in my view it
David Goodberg
This is a fantastic book. While I love science fiction and astrobiology, I am always hesitant on anything related to the validity of UFOs because they are mostly silly, unprofessional and written by die-hard believers who don't discredit anything. This is a must read for anyone interested in the subject for all the right reasons.

This is more than a book about eye witnesses: its a collection of government reports and a detailed analysis of numerous high-ranking officials who have everything to lo
Phillip
This is a truly compelling book. Leslie Kean is an investigative journalist. When the French made all of their government UFO information available to the public a 90 page report was written by their top Air Force officers stating that UFOs are real, they are something that needs to be dealt with, and made proposals as to what our world population needs to do in the future. A colleague sent her a copy of the report.

It took years for Kean to do her research and to learn to be the writer about suc
Gene
While much of this covers the same topics: strange reports, known incidents, and historical facts like Project Grudge and
Project Blue Book it also contains very specific thoughts about alternate possibilities such as whether our Government can explain UFOs, or are as much baffled by them as the average citizen. It makes clear the fact that a certain part of the Government (which even Senator Goldwater and others cannot breach) controls the information on UFOs. Very good read!! One extremely int
Mack
Right off out of the gate in the introduction Kean sets the tone for how the reader is to examine the presented material. She does so by setting out in in simple and clear terms exactly what informed skepticism is. There are few books that cover this topic with the proper, honest, serious tone that it deserves. Kean does her profession and this much maligned area of study credit by approaching it with skepticism, rationality and with the facts. I personally am very picky when it comes to purchas ...more
Benjamin Atkinson
As a skeptical fan of the mysteries of our Universe, I have found very little to get excited about on the actual fact front. Leslie Kean co-founder of the Coalition for Freedom of Information, investigative journalist, and author has taken a fresh approach to a field that has been horribly mishandled. There is no question, if you spend a little time digging, that there are completely legitimate "unidentified flying objects" that have four common characteristics:
1. They have been caught performin
Mizuki
I like this book, I appreciate how the author had gathered so much information, interviewed so many people, looked into the UFO policies of different countries and their histories to get his point across. It's a grand work, but as a non-fictional book, I found the text a bit too dry and it is not very interesting nor exciting. However, I still get what the author is trying to say:

(1) UFOs have always been out there, flying across the glob.

(2) So far, most of the UFOs seem to be peaceful and mean
The most factual book available on UFOs. The author is an investigative reporter who takes a very scientific-method driven look at the data. Every incident mentioned is cited with the report number, and can be fact checked. All of the sightings reported here are by authoritative sources (military or airline pilots with good reputations and years of service and experience in their field).

Kean is careful to emphasize a separateness between being able to prove that there are solid unidentified obje
Phil Penhallow
Having read many books on UFO's throughout my life it was quite refreshing to read Leslie's. From the start you could tell this would be an honest account from someone who was initially sceptical about their existence yet found themselves increasingly drawn into the real world of UFO's where constant checking and verifying was needed to separate the "wheat from the chaff". The book brings in encounters from real incidents as told by the professionals who witnessed them, it also details the autho ...more
Colin Wright
If you're a skeptical UFO-agnostic, you won't be able to help but shout 'Hell yeah!' from time-to-time while reading this book.

I say this because the author has taking an admirably practical approach to the UFO phenomena, repeating over and over in different ways that we need to explore this further because we don't know what it is, or what it could mean. That's it.

She takes no stance on alien life or anything else; just that good science says there's more than enough evidence to indicate 5%-ish
Stan James
It's probably accurate to say that most people think of UFOs--Unidentified Flying Objects--as being craft controlled by extraterrestrials. This is to say that few people think of UFOs as being quite literally what the acronym stands for, objects in the air that are unidentified. Since the modern UFO era began in the 1940s the subject has, especially in the U.S., been treated as one not worthy of serious study or investigation. Project Blue Book, the Air Force group tasked with checking out UFO r ...more
Harvey Smith
I thought this might be a interesting book, but little did I know that I would enjoy it so much. It really is a local, scientific look at the existence of unidentified flying objects. Notice I didn't say, life from other planets. That has yet to be determined.

But, then again, there are objects seen by very credible witnesses that are simply unexplained.

Our culture in the United States also has a cultural taboo about the subject of UFOs which is dealt with in the book: how it came about, why it p
Erik Graff
Apr 25, 2015 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: UFO fans
Recommended to Erik by: Michael Miley
Shelves: sciences
Although companion to the late Bud Hopkins, noted for his research on the abduction phenomenon, Leslie Kean confines her first book on UFOs to only the most substantiated cases involving multiple witnesses and, in most cases, physical traces. There are no close encounters of the third or fourth kind here. What are presented, however, provide a compelling case for the reality of what herein are termed "unknown aerial phenomena".

On this basis, Kean, and an array of notables, including military off
Bryce Holt
The book is incredibly interesting and the stories within of govt. officials, military pilots and other high level, trustworthy sources are unbelievable. The place where this doesn't feel right is not in their statements, but instead in that of the author, who seems to get a bit heavy-handed in what she is pushing for (i.e., the U.S. government to become transparent in their UFO findings).

I think anyone who has any interest at all in this subject surely recognizes that the U.S. is untrustworthy
Matthew
I just had to read this. She makes a convincing case that the phenomenon that underlies UFO sighting should be taken seriously enough to be investigated. Rather dry reading, though, for all the firsthand accounts, though they are, by and large, from credible sources.
Dane Mamula
Best book on UFOs I've ever read...granted I haven't read many since I was a kid, but still, this is well worth your time. Objective to the point of restraint, eye-opening and just plain fascinating. I'm surprised this isn't garnering way more attention.
Julie Woodcock
It is unlikely that there is not something to the UFO question. The actual interviews were very interesting, but the writer's ongoing commentary was redundant and tedious and so it was a difficult read.
Meghan
This book is 95% surely going to change my life. I'm not kidding.
R.a. Deckert
Making the end of the world boring
Mar. 7th, 2011 | 04:21 pm

Leslie Kean's NYT bestseller on UFOs is an infuriating read.

The complete title is:

UFOs: Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go on the Record

Right away you begin to see part of the problem. The only people that count in her universe are Important People, like generals, pilots, and government officials. Anyone without the proper credentials is clearly beneath notice.

It follows, of course, that since Leslie is one of those Important
Paul Pessolano
During the 1950's and 1960's there was a wave of UFO sightings which led Hollywood to produce such films as "The War of the Worlds" and "The Day the Earth Stood Still". Who can ever forget those immortal words spoken by Patricia Neal, "Klaatu Barada Nikto".

This book attempts to establish that UFO's do exist by using eyewitness accounts gathered from military and aviation witnesses and official investigators. There are several very convincing encounters that will definately have any skeptic quest
Don
Seems that many of the readers of this book gave it lower reviews since the testimonies provided by the author were only from pilots, military and political agencies. Understandably, the author, Leslie Kean, is a reporter trying to find some form of legitimacy to the UFO phenomena.

Frankly, I found this book to be one of the best UFO books written in the last 10 years (2010). Many of the key reports from very famous cases are known by those familiar with UFO literature - such as the Peruvian figh
Amy
For me this book ranges from three to four stars, depending on the chapter and my mood. To be fair, I'll give the book 4 stars, but I really would feel more comfortable with 3.5.

Many of the cases presented in this book were ones that I've heard of before (if there's a UFO show on TV, I'm going to watch it), so there wasn't a lot of information presented here that was particularly new to me. Also, I felt like Kean repeated herself quite a bit, so there were times when I did get a little sleepy as
Harrison
Kean makes a convincing case as to the physical reality of UFOs, the fact that they have been and are seen treated as of the utmost importance by governments all over the world (including the US, which routinely denies it), that they pose real safety concerns (e.g., in restricted airspace), and that a serious scientific study of the phenomenon is called for (including taking seriously the ET and interdimensional hypotheses). The book is very conservative in nature, focusing solely on highly docu ...more
Deborah Pommer
Leslie Kean has written an impressive and well researched book. I saw an object/craft in November 2012 that I can't explain. I reported the following to MUFON/the Mutual UFO Network about the event.

I saw a black triangular object in the sky when I left work on 11/19/2012 at 7:58 pm. I walked out the side door of my office building. I had just walked up some stairs onto the outdoor plaza between two 4 story buildings and I saw a black triangular shaped aircraft flying very slowing above me betwee
Daniel
This book really is a triumph of reporting and activism for Leslie Kean, and I was sorely tempted to give this book a full five stars for its sheer importance.

Kean has basically assembled the most compelling case for the minimal argument that UFO's, or unidentified aerial phenomena, which she uses as a term that may set aside some unnecessary baggage, are a real, physical phenomena, setting aside the extraterrestrial hypothesis. Her selection of cases (IE: The Tehran Dogfight, Belgian Triangles
Dale Stonehouse
For those new to UFOs, this book is probably an eye-opener, if they get through it. I did not so much read it as page through it looking for any information I was not already familiar with and found it mostly disappointing. Oriented toward science and national defense, it is written in a way that did not hold my attention. The type of encounters I have had were not covered except for the triangular craft described as being predominant in the Belgium UFO wave of 1989-91. I saw one over my workpla ...more
  • UFOs and the National Security State 1: Chronology of a Coverup 1941-73
  • Hunt for the Skinwalker: Science Confronts the Unexplained at a Remote Ranch in Utah
  • Witness to Roswell: Unmasking the 60-Year Cover-Up
  • Alien Agenda: Investigating the Extraterrestrial Presence Among Us
  • Wonders in the Sky: Unexplained Aerial Objects from Antiquity to Modern Times
  • A.D. After Disclosure: The People's Guide to Life After Contact
  • Above Top Secret: The Worldwide UFO Cover-up
  • The Real Men in Black: Evidence, Famous Cases & True Stories of These Mysterious Men & their Connection to UFO Phenomena
  • Dark Mission: The Secret History of NASA
  • Mirage Men: An Adventure into Paranoia, Espionage, Psychological Warfare, and UFOs
  • Abduction: Human Encounters with Aliens
  • The Mothman Prophecies
  • Intruders
  • Atlantis, Alien Visitation & Genetic Manipulation
  • Captured! The Betty and Barney Hill UFO Experience
  • The Stargate Conspiracy
  • Charles Fort: The Man Who Invented the Supernatural
Burma's Revolution of the Spirit: The Struggle for Democratic Freedom and Dignity

“Astrophysicist Bernard Haisch, former science editor for The Astrophysical Journal and The Journal of Scientific Exploration, defines a true skeptic as “one who practices the method of suspended judgment, engages in rational and dispassionate reasoning as exemplified by the scientific method, shows willingness to consider alternative explanations without prejudice based on prior beliefs, and who seeks out evidence and carefully scrutinizes its validity.” 0 likes