Start by marking “The Pledge: A History of the Pledge of Allegiance” as Want to Read:
The Pledge: A History of the Pledge of Allegiance

The Pledge: A History of the Pledge of Allegiance

For more than a century, reciting the Pledge of Allegiance has been a central part of the American Experience. And perhaps because of its ubiquity, this simple flag salute has served not only as a unifying ritual but also as a lightning rod for bitter controversy.

Congress's 1954 decision to add "under God" to the Pledge has made it the focus of three U.S. Supreme Court cas
Published October 12th 2010 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about The Pledge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pledge

Rob Roy
May 06, 2012 Rob Roy rated it liked it
Shelves: history
We've all said it, time after time. It was one of the first things we memorized, but do we know the history of the Pledge of Allegiance? This book fills that gap nicely, and puts our current patriotic emphasis in perspective. The underlying theme of the book is that if our Flag stands for freedom, where is the line between freedom and obedience. The book does not answer that question, and remains quite neutral, but does make you ask a few uncomfortable questions of yourself. Whether you are a ...more
The Book : An Online Review at The New Republic
For many Americans, the Pledge of Allegiance is the quintessential childhood reflex. It is the ritual that began each school day, simultaneously unthinking and sacred, like all liturgies. Most schoolchildren stand up and place hand over heart without a second thought. Surely the Pledge is an indisputable Ur-text scratched out on the back of some Founding Father’s dinner napkin. Or more likely, the pious architects of democracy found it in their Bibles, right after the part where Jesus denounces ...more
Scout
Nov 03, 2011 Scout rated it liked it
The book itself was highly informative and intriguing but there were times when I wondered whether or not what Jones was talking about was needed. Sometimes it seemed a little out of context. The writing style itself was fairly decent. Jones has skill but not nearly as good as he could be. The lack of footnotes was frustrating because I couldn't, easily, go and double check a source. In a nutshell, it was fairly well written, highly informative, but lacked footnotes and creativity.
Ronnyjane Goldsmith
Apr 04, 2013 Ronnyjane Goldsmith rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book that tells a wonderful story. Who new that an advertising campaign would lead to a pledge of allegiance to America that is repeated by every school child (and newly arrived citizen) in the country.
Tammy
Aug 06, 2014 Tammy rated it liked it
Shelves: true-story, holiday
I admit, I've never though about who wrote the Pledge of Allegiance or why they did, so when I walked by this book at the library I decided to check it out.

It's pretty short. It's interesting in some parts and boring in others. But I learned a lot and that was my intention.
Joe Drape
Oct 21, 2010 Joe Drape rated it really liked it
The Pledge of Allegiance has been misunderstood and misappropriated throughout its illustrious history. In this concise and engaging volume, scholarship combined with common sense tells us what The Pledge's authors intended and what those few, powerful words really mean.
Jamie
Nov 04, 2011 Jamie rated it liked it
I knew a bit about pledge history when I started this book. I know quite a bit more now. I was a pledge-hater when I started this book. I'm still a pledge-hater now.
Teresa
Teresa rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2013
Marc
Marc rated it it was ok
Nov 03, 2010
St. Martin's Press
St. Martin's Press rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2010
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2010
Kenneth
Kenneth rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2012
Carin
Carin rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2012
Matt
Matt rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2013
Aaron
Aaron rated it did not like it
Jan 31, 2016
Kady Sykora
Kady Sykora rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2013
Cathy
Cathy rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2010
Derrick Jeter
Derrick Jeter rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Peter
Peter rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2014
Lex Myers
Lex Myers rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2012
Jo
Jo rated it it was ok
Nov 22, 2015
Laura rated it did not like it
Jan 18, 2016
Robert
Robert rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2014
Sully
Sully marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2010
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2010
Chris
Chris added it
Oct 25, 2010
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2010
Phil
Phil marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2010
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2011
elle i
elle i added it
Aug 08, 2011
Clodpated
Clodpated marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2011
Michael Strode
Michael Strode marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2011
Gayla Bassham
Gayla Bassham marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2011
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2012
Dennis
Dennis added it
Jan 14, 2012
Blake Maddux
Blake Maddux marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2012
Kate
Kate added it
Feb 04, 2012
Charles Guiteau
Charles Guiteau marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2012
John Goen
John Goen marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2012
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2012
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
May 26, 2012
Ellon
Ellon marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2012