Start by marking “The Trouble with Paradise” as Want to Read:
The Trouble with Paradise

The Trouble with Paradise

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  1,147 ratings  ·  110 reviews
When a violent storm strands the passengers of a singles cruise on a deserted island, Dorie Anderson will have to choose where she feels safest-in the arms of a sexy pro baseball player or a mysterious French doctor.
Published September 1st 2010 by Berkley Books (first published October 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Trouble with Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trouble with Paradise

DarienMoya
^^ FROM PARADISE TO HELL!^^

The trouble with paradise is that the ship you are on might get caught up in a storm and you feel you might die. Also a crew member could go missing and a whole lot of blood is found in his room and the suspects are the people that are stuck on a deserted island with you. That’s the trouble with paradise and Dorie Anderson is finding that out for herself.

So before the trip that changed her life Dorie was just your regular everyday girl. She worked at a Shop Mart a dep
Saly
The Trouble with Paradise was one of those crazy books, but nice.

Dorie Anderson has a crappy boss and job, she trained as a designer but is working in mart, her hair is all out of control, her mother constantly nags her to marry a doctor like a sister and she is clumsy in front of cute men(her tongue swells up), so when she wins a free cruise she jumps.

Well, there she is clumsy again when she runs into cute baseball guy Andy.
Christian is a doctor on-board and is not happy about it. He is paying
Splage
Gilligan's Island meets Survivor and with a little bit of who-dun-it, yeah maybe. Jill Shalvis is one of my favorite authors and The Trouble with Paradise was a quick, easy, funny, enjoyable, sexy read. I thought the the H and h were sizzling together, the supporting characters were lively, a bit neurotic and I really didn't know who did it until the last 40 pages- kept you guessing. Yet in keeping it hidden so long without any clues, everybody was a good guy so when the killer was revealed it a ...more
Rochelle
A weak 4 stars.
Although I love Jill Shalvis, this is one of her earlier writing attempts and not as refined as her Animal Magnetism or Lucky Harbor or even her older series books.
It's a good thing she didn't go into Mystery and Suspense!
Jenny E
deserted island + sexy frenchman = sign me up!

This book was great fun to read! I love the sexy male characters that Jill Shalvis writes up, and Christian the sexy doctor with a French accent is no exception. Dorie was a great female lead too -the chemistry was great!

The little suspenseful plot twist was interesting, and I could not figure out who "did it" until the big reveal, which was great.

My only complaint is that Jill Shalvis always makes one of the love interests a commitment phobe, and t
Dee
Two-haiku review:

She has awful job
Wins sailing cruise in Fiji
Big storm, hot doctor

Cute, funny story
Love Jill's ditzy heroines
And guy who changed spots
Lyndsay
I love Jill Shalvis. I think it is now offical. I am now reading Jills older novels. This one was a fun romp on a deserted island. Although they were only shipwrecked for three days.

Reasons I loved Trouble with Paradise:

1. Heroine is a ubber klutz (she sprains an ankle and gets two splinters in her but with int the first 30 pages!

2. Hightened emotional setting. (SURVIVAL) causes characters to act in fast forward seize the day way.

3. Funny secondary characters

Norma
This might be my favorite Shalvis book. It was silly and fun. The plot wasn't anything new, but the dialogue was great and the banter kept me invested. I also enjoyed the relationship that the women made with each other in addition to the romance.

Overall, a great, fun read. I loved trying to keep Christian's accent going in my head. :)
Ria
If I hadn't known that this book was written by Jill Shalvis, I would probably have been less forgiving of some of its flaws. There are plot holes large enough to sail the Titanic through, there's a really half-hearted attempt to set up a love triangle and I'm not entirely convinced that the central pair have staying power.

But I did know who wrote the book and I subsequently enjoyed it a lot. Very fluffy but Jill Shalvis has a knack for selling fluffy with all her might. One aspect of her books
Jeanette
As with all other Jill Shalvis books, I flew through this The Trouble with Paradise in under two days; however this book took me longer to 'get in to' than most of Jill's other books, which is why I gave it 4 stars instead of 5.. there isn't a 4.4 stars option!

In this stand-alone story, we are introduced to Dorie and Christian and the entire Sun Song gang! While dark and brooding Christian isn't my favorite Jill hero, wow.. he is hot, dangerous, and mysterious; Dorie on the other hand is hilari
Alison
Not my favorite of Jill Shalvis's, but still a fun, cute read :)
Cara
A cute story based on an 8 passenger yacht cruise where Dorie has one man's attention but wants another's, the intense French doctor Christian, who keeps refusing to mix business with pleasure....until he finally gives in. There is also a storm and a shipwreck and a little mystery and island survival mixed in, along with some really interesting minor characters. But mainly it was a love story with a lot of extra excitement mixed in. Dorie and Christian are both good decent people who belong toge ...more
Cindy
I enjoyed this one - it's a frothy romance with lots of smile-worthy dialogue. The heroine turns into a klutz every time she meets a cute guy - so it's really a good thing she doesn't think the hunky doctor is cute. Gorgeous? Yes. Grumpy? Definitely... And the sexy French accent does nothing for her. Really.

The heroine's plans for a carefree sail in the sunny South Seas runs into a few snags. There's the hurricane which drives them off course and damages the boat. And the emergency equipment is
Bookaholics
The Trouble with Paradise by Jill Shalvis
Contemporary Romance -Sept. 7th, 2010
4 Stars

Dorie Anderson is taking a vacation from Los Angeles to sandy the Fiji beaches in the hopes that her new outfits will help her find a cute guy. Unfortunately, she doesn't expect to be shipwrecked! Fortunately there are two attractive guys that have been shipwrecked along with her. Andy is a professional baseball player who seems to be a smooth ladies' man, and Christian, the ship's intriguing doctor. The worry o
Sarah Eiseman
This book was fun, but lacked something. I like brooding characters as much as the next reader, but this book was a little much.

Dorie Anderson is looking for some excitement in her life. She has a boring and predictable job that has sucked the life out of her existence and her clothing designs are becoming more and more distant. So when she gets a call informing her that she’s won an all-expense paid cruise in the South Pacific, she goes for it. The thing is, she really has issues around cute me
Bibliojunkies
One phone call has turned Dorie’s dead-end life into an adventure: she’s won a trip on a singles cruise to Fiji. With her cutest outfits packed and the Love Boat theme in her head. Dorie boards – and soon meets two men: a pro baseball player with an irresistible Texas drawl, and the ship’s dark and mysterious French doctor, Dr. Christian Montague. She’s sure to fall head over heels in no time. She just never expected to do it so quickly, or so literally, tripping over her luggage.

With her foot t
Tracy
Some Trouble With Trouble
Stuck in a dead-end job she hates, Dorie Anderson was thrilled to win an all-expense paid South Pacific cruise. This may be her one shot at the sort of adventure retail clerks at Shop-Mart only dream about. She starts to feel like she's getting a bit more than she bargained for when she first sees the plank leading up to the exquisite 80 ft sailboat, and has a bit of difficulty actually crossing it to get on board. The appearance of totally gorgeous and really quite swee
Jill Dunlop
Dorie Anderson's life is just not turning out as great as she had hoped. She is at a dead in job in the retail world, when really what she wants is to be a fashion designer. Then consider her love life, or lack of in any case. All in the blink of an eye Dorie is on her way to Fiji on a cruise with not one but two hunky men who have caught her eye. Things turn sour when the yacht ends up in a terrible storm leaving them shipwrecked. At least she has sexy doctor, Christian to tend to her needs.

The
Michelle Kelly
I really liked "The Trouble With Paradise" by Jill Shalvis.

Dorie Anderson and the French sexy grumpy Dr. Christian Montague's book.

I liked Dorie. Right away, I really liked her and continued to love her all through the book. She was as real as they come and I could totally picture her being one of my girlfriends.

The Trouble With Paradise is my first Jill Shalvis book and it will not be my last. Once I got past the 80's looking cover, the story was enjoyable and entertaining with a little bit
Danielle
Everyone who knows me knows I am a huge Jill Shalvis fan. Her books are not only fun, humorous, and romantic, but they have a special quality about them that can make you feel every emotion and take you to that wonderful place she has created. A few books ago, I decided to conquer her back list and I have to say I am not even close to done. Which if you ask is definitely a very good thing.

Dorie Anderson is looking for some excitement in her life. She not only has a boring and predictable job, bu
Shxrxn
She was looking for sweet. And kind. And loyal. If he happened to be cute, too, then so much the better. But not a distant, egotistical, workaholic doctor . . .
- Dorie
There was nothing more attractive than a man who knew how to dress.
- Dorie
Your feet weren’t made for four-inch heels, no one’s were.
- Christian
Tell that to Jimmy Choo.
- Dorie
Probably if she had Leo DiCaprio standing behind her, she wouldn’t feel so alone.
It’s barely morning.
Yes, but somewhere in the world it’s Happy H
Kristin
If you're like me, you'll buy any book with the name Jill Shalvis on the cover. As always, Jill Shalvis' books are full of warmth and heart with a good dose of snarky heroines and sexy situations thrown in the mix. And it's no different for "The Trouble with Paradise".

TTwP is a snappy read full of mystery and tons of romance. The easily relatable characters are bright and quirky.
Judy Goodnight
Reading more of Jill Shalvis's backlist...

The trouble with reading an author's early works is that often they are not the author's best works. Exhibit A: this story. Main characters who aren't fully developed, secondary characters who are stock stereotypes, an implausible concept, plot holes you could sail a boat through, and more.

Some fun & frothy moments, some hot & sexy moments, but overall just not anywhere near her current books.
Nancy H
This is a good romance about a trip Dorie takes to Fiji, and the singles cruise that turns into a shipwreck with a murderer running loose. As if that weren't enough for her to deal with, Dorie finds herself falling in love with one of the crew, and doesn't know if he could be the murderer masquerading as a friend. A fun and steamy novel!
Janice Karr
I almost didn't read this book because the plot sounded so far-fetched and silly (okay, okay, *more* far-fetched and silly than most romance novels), but I'm glad I did read it. The love story is compelling, and the plot itself is pretty riveting. Most romances are not thrilling page turners, but I got pretty into this one.
Bet Lantaff
This was a funny, sexy, hot romance which, in a book, is right up my alley. It's a great book for the beach, too, but I don't recommend it for a cruise. You would have to read it to understand why. I loved the hero, loved the heroine. The story, while not totally believable for me, kept me interested. The secondary characters could have been stronger, but they still helped carry the story along and made you wonder if one of them would have their own story later. Poor, klutzy Dorie was the everyw ...more
Alicia
Alas, heroine is TSTL, since she's more concerned for modesty than health. Hero is attractive, but apparently finds her ineptness/naiveté/bumbling *adorable*. Sigh. I prefer later Shalvis novels.
Danni
Borrowed book. I enjoyed this. Liked the writing style, points of view of both characters & their thoughts. The tragedies were kept light and didn't bring you down.
Emily
Dorie Anderson is in a rut, she has a dead end job with the boss from hell and the dreams to be a fashion designer with degree in hand but no leads in sight. When she wins a contest for a weeks cruise in Fiji she decides to embark on a new adventure. What she finds is a dashingly handsome baseball player and a surly but dark handsome doctor interested in her. When the cruise turns into a nightmare and they end up stranded on an island Dorie finds herself torn on what to do.

I love Jill Shalvis an
Peggy Parsons
She hasn't had a guy in years and now she has a doctor and a professional baseball player fighting over her. Where is this ship? I want to get shipwrecked with theses two hotties.
Actually, the men had no personality or moves to hike the chemistry though Dorie came off as adorably sweet. This lacked the spark that characterizes most of Shalvis' books. But I'll keep reading her books because she usually delivers big time.
  • Men of Courage II
  • Never Say Never (Callahan Brothers, #2)
  • He's the One (includes Oklahoma Nights #1.5; Barefoot William #2.5)
  • The Night She Got Lucky (Dog Walkers, #2)
  • Mother, Please!
  • Kiss Me, I'm Irish
  • Kissing Santa Claus (Men of Hawaii #3)
  • Crazy For Love
  • Hello, Doggy! (Guys & Dogs, #3)
  • Scoundrel (Montagues, #3)
  • Better Naughty Than Nice: No Mistletoe Required\Her Secret Santa\Snug in His Bed (Harlequin Blaze, #507)
  • Divorced, Desperate and Deceived (Divorced #3)
  • Dare Me
  • Dinner First, Me Later?
  • Deal With This (Mercenary/Goddard Project, #7; Goddard Project, #2)
  • Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evie
  • Be Mine:  Sizzle\Too Fast to Fall\Alone With You
  • Sleeping Beauty (Fairy-Tale Series #2) (Larger Print Love Inspired #415)

Look for Jill's latest, ONE IN A MILLION, on shelves and e-readers now, and get all her bestselling, award-winning books wherever romances are sold.

Visit Jill's website fo
More about Jill Shalvis...
Simply Irresistible (Lucky Harbor, #1) Head Over Heels (Lucky Harbor, #3) The Sweetest Thing (Lucky Harbor, #2) Lucky in Love (Lucky Harbor, #4) Forever and a Day (Lucky Harbor, #6)