Start by marking “The Art and Science of Fencing” as Want to Read:
The Art and Science of Fencing

The Art and Science of Fencing

Often thought of as an activity just for actors or an elite few, fencing is actually an ideal sport for people of all ages. Fencing develops dexterity, endurance, flexibility, grace, and overall fitness, while also allowing participants the opportunity to hone the mind's problem-solving abilities. It is easily learned and practiced by both young and old, men and women, boy ...more
Published February 1st 1999 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published September 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Art and Science of Fencing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art and Science of Fencing

Jun 25, 2008 Erin rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I feel I probably should clarify my rating. I really hated giving this book such a low rating because there are so few books on fencing available, but I just didn't really get anything out of this book.

This book is intended more for the complete novice, someone who has never touched a blade or seen a bout. It goes into a whole lot of detail as to what to expect if you decide to start fencing (from posture to etiquette on the strip) and kind of reads like those old Goofy sports shorts. It definit
Aug 01, 2014 Maria rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
The book had useful information, especially on foil fencing. I liked that it had history and some profiles of fencers. However, it did feel very dated and the overall tone of the author was very conservative/almost condescending. I may be biased because I am an épéeist and the bulk of the information was aimed towards foilists. Even though there are many similarities, I was hoping there would be more on épée specifically.

It was still interesting to read on a plane.
Guy Haley
Apr 16, 2015 Guy Haley rated it liked it
A good book on my favourite sport. The author is overly didactic regarding what he sees as "proper" fencing, although I tend to agree with him. There's some interesting biographies, and the sections on each weapon are good basic texts, but the pictures are poorly reproduced and there isn't much for someone who is already in the sport and wishes to improve their game.
Aug 17, 2009 Emma rated it really liked it
Considerably better that the last book on fencing that I tried to read, and I enjoyed this one. I liked the layout of the book, and the pictures were nice, and helpful. However, I thought that Evangelista was a bit biased, writing only about the French school. (If he doesn't really know anything about the Italian school, then this is probably a good thing.)
David Hurst
Apr 01, 2013 David Hurst rated it liked it
Shelves: fencing
Good introduction to fencing for the uniformed. It is amazing how every slight wrist or hand movement has a name, along with very specific guidance of how to execute the move. Too much detail for me... However I have to confess to being an arm chair fencer trying to understand the outcome my children's little battles.
Aug 31, 2007 Chris rated it did not like it
Pleh. Self-indulgent book about the author and his masters. Not a lot of useful information in terms of actual techniques or terminology, more of a "this is what you should do when you want to learn to fence" guide. Also very slanted on the French technique. I would've preferred something more academic.
Feb 07, 2010 Jay rated it it was amazing
I'm feeling much more inspired to practice fencing after reading this book. Large sections of it are worth reading even if you don't yet fence.
Feb 03, 2008 Brian rated it really liked it
Great book, if you're interested in the sport.
Marianne marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2016
Raditya Hanif
Raditya Hanif marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2016
Wanda marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Sam marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Milica Shulevska
Milica Shulevska marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Tracie added it
Aug 29, 2016
Stuart marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Elena marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Ronald Snider
Ronald Snider rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Tatyana Forde
Tatyana Forde marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Porky is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2016
Hanna rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Calli rated it liked it
Aug 04, 2016
Danny Nelson
Danny Nelson marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Falcon marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Miguel Ibarra
Miguel Ibarra marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Nathan Byrd
Nathan Byrd marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Alex Crooks
Alex Crooks rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2016
Dylan Love
Dylan Love marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
D rated it did not like it
May 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • By the Sword: A History of Gladiators, Musketeers, Samurai, Swashbucklers, and Olympic Champions
  • Unarmed Fighting Techniques of the Samurai
  • The Scholastic Rhyming Dictionary
  • Mi6: Inside the Covert World of Her Majesty's Secret Intelligence Service
  • Self-Defense for Gentlemen and Ladies: A Nineteenth-Century Treatise on Boxing, Kicking, Grappling, and Fencing with the Cane and Quarterstaff
  • The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy
  • How to Take the Grrrr Out of Anger
  • Art Through the Ages 2
  • Lives of the Musicians: Good Times, Bad Times (and What the Neighbors Thought)
  • We the Kids
  • The Craft of Intelligence: America's Legendary Spy Master on the Fundamentals of Intelligence Gathering for a Free World
  • Godzilla 2000
  • The Indiana Jones Handbook
  • Alternities
  • The Complete Bartender
  • Soldier, Nurse and Spy in the Union Army
  • The Photoshop Cs2 Book for Digital Photographers
  • Battlestar Galactica Trilogy
With over 36 years of fencing experience under his belt, fencing master Nick Evangelista is one of the sport's most unique teachers. He has studied fencing in both the United States and Europe and has also collected a number of awards and medals during his years of competition. Over the past three decades, he has developed many fencers who have successfully competed in the United States fencing co ...more
More about Nick Evangelista...