Start by marking “Raising Boys: Why Boys Are Different And How To Help Them Become Happy And Well Balanced Men” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Raising Boys: Why Boys...

Steve Biddulph

3.66  ·  Rating Details ·  2,091 Ratings  ·  252 Reviews
A revised edition of the bestselling and practical guide to the issues parents face in raising sons--including sex, violence, homework, sports, the Internet, and more--and how to best aid boys' development from birth to manhood.

From award-winning psychologist Steve Biddulph comes this new edition of Raising Boys, his international best seller published in 14 countries. Thi
Published (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Raising Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising Boys

Jessica
there were a couple of things that i got from the book that i thought were interesting and worth putting into practice, but for the most part i found myself questioning or doubting most of what the author said. i probably wouldn't recommend it as a must-read parenting book.
Susan Wolff
Sep 28, 2011 Susan Wolff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a parent educator and have read dozens of books on boys with a view to which will most help parents. Biddulphs book Raising Boys wins hands down because its readable by parents who don't have a lot of education, but its not dumbed down, he takes the best brain science, education research, and family therapy experience, to help parents get a grasp of how to understand boys. He hits the sensible midway spot between the extremes like Sax (its all in the genes) and the old thinking that gender d ...more
Cara
Feb 10, 2014 Cara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's somewhere between a 2 and 3 star book, I'm feeling generous today. It's an easy book, very simple conceptually, and I spent a lot of time frustratingly going 'girls are the same apart from lacking a penis'. However i think if it's your first child, and you're looking for a child raising book with a male slant, it's ok. I was more interested in a book which identified a child's male specific characteristics, and apart from the aforementioned penis, and a lot of either unsourced or poorly sou ...more
Beth Lequeuvre
Jan 03, 2012 Beth Lequeuvre rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Quotes like:

"Many gay or bisexual men I have spoken with say the lack of fatherly affection was part of what made male affection more important to the."

"We aren't saying here that all instances of Attention Deficit Disorder are really dad deficit disorders - but quite a lot are."

"If a mother is terribly depressed and therefore unresponsive in the first year or two of her son's life, his brain may undergo changes and become a 'sad brain'. If she is angry, hitting or hurting him, he will be confus
Devandra Bourne
Jan 08, 2011 Devandra Bourne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A gentle, funny and challenging book with loads of good ideas, especially for a mum who grew up without boys in her family. Biddulph tells quite gritty stories, doesn't prescribe or have insulting tip-lists like a lot of parenting books. I completely disagree with those reviewers who dismiss it as simple- its deceptively deep, but just accessibly written. Biddulph's work is very famous here in Australia because he aims to reach those who have less education and of course DADS (LOL) and so he use ...more
Aissa
Jan 17, 2008 Aissa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very conservative views... I stopped reading it.
Kim
Jan 28, 2009 Kim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One word for this book: worthless. The tiny tidbits of useful information were dumbed-down to a ridiculous degree. The author used sweeping generalizations without citing any research. Example? He states that most students who do well on achievement tests do not do well in college. Um, what? Research please. His advice to parents is so broad and so common-sense it is laughable. My favorite? The best way for fathers to teach their sons to treat women well is to not hit thier wives. Really? Shocki ...more
Carlie
Feb 06, 2010 Carlie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good book. Provocative, thoughtful, full of sound research and hitting a lot of the key points parents of boys worry about, wrestle with and argue over.

Some of the things I took away from it:

*Its extremely important for adolescents (but perhaps especially boys) to have mentor types who are part friend, part adviser in their...besides their parents.

*Boys needs risks...make sure there are healthy, okay, daring things to do in their lives.

*Boys really need moms and dads but the
Sonja
Feb 18, 2008 Sonja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got lots of great insight on this book. One big arguing point in this book is chapter 7 - Developing a Healthy Sexuality. I do NOT agree that I should be teaching my little boy how to masterbate and that I should have open conversations about his sex life whenever it starts. Omit that chapter, and I could recommend it to anyone. If you want to borrow this book, be prepared - I have marked through that chapter!!
Natalie
Jul 12, 2012 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read, most of it made a lot of sense, and I often found myself going "ohhhhh" when faced with something that I hadn't realised before, that suddenly clicked into place!
Hannah
"Read" probably isn't the right descriptor for this book, which I'm returning to the library mostly untouched. I checked it out only because our favorite librarian, when I checked out another parenting book, recommended this to me as a great way for mothers to learn about their boys and what makes them tick. I probably should have realized that any book subtitled "Why Boys Are Different" wouldn't be a good fit for a mom who dresses her son in his girl cousins' hand-me-down Mary Janes! (Which are ...more
Melinda
Dec 21, 2013 Melinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, I have a young son and, sometimes, he's kind of a mystery to me. With my daughter, I knew what I was getting into. Not only did I used to be a little girl, but I have several nieces who I've seen through childhood (I do also have a nephew, but he grew up far from us and we only saw him a couple of times a year). When I found this book, I thought it might shed some light on what was going on with my little guy.

And, yes, it did shed some light for me. Biddulph goes through biological, mental,
Heath Henwood
Apr 16, 2014 Heath Henwood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Raising Boys
Why Boys are Different and How to Help them become happy and well balanced men
Steve Biddulph
Published by:Ten Speed Press

I have always been a fan of Steve Biddulph’s very practical books for parents. This one is no different. This vastly popular book has been updated into a third edition.

Raising Boys considers how boys differ from girls, their three stages of boyhood, from birth to preparing for adulthood. It goes on to discuss how to navigate through risk areas for boys.
It examines
Brooke romney
Sep 19, 2009 Brooke romney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was fascinating, and the "self-help" books don't usually keep my interest. It was an easy read with lots of examples, and since I have 3 boys it just blew my mind, the science behind the way they act and their differences from girls. It gave lots of practical advice to help them succeed in school and life and talked to both mothers and fathers and the importance of both in a boys life. I loved the book and think it's a must read for anyone with boys...though there were a few ...more
Barakiel
Jul 02, 2014 Barakiel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Quick and easy read.

Three things I take away from this book:
1. The 0 to 6yrs, 6-14yrs, 14-adult rule. The first phase is mom's time (helps with emotional stability), the second phase is dad's time (helps with masculinity) and the last phase you'll rely mostly on good role-models. Very interesting concept I hadn't heard put into words like this before.
2. Initiation: helping your boy transition from boyhood to adolescence through some sort of ceremony. This was an interesting idea that deserves fu
Tiffany Wacaser
This was a pretty fast read on the unique strengths and weaknesses of boys and what they need to grow into great men. I knew a lot of it already, but it was good to have the reminder. I disagreed with the author's take on teaching sexuality. But that's a fairly small complaint compared with the rest of the book. And with all books, you usually have to sift through something.
It was easy to read and understand and the humor was very much appreciated. I was completely reminded though, of how inspi
Sunny
I thought this brilliant and very helpful considering i have 2 kids aged 4 and 3 - both amazing but such headaches at times. This book offers some very interesting and practical advise on how to deal with boys specifically. The overall message is that they need discipline and to know where they stand but need fathers to spend time with their kids which is going against the grain of the busy schedule / lifestyle most fathers working in the professional sector tend to live. My kids must be sick of ...more
Christen
I think the title promised more than delivered. The things I took away from it are:
- Boys testosterone levels peaking at certain times in their lives and what to expect
- The roles that mother and father can play to help boys develop into balances men (seems like common sense to me)
- Boys should start school later, rather than earlier and why (good to know since Will is an August birthday)
- The importance of a strong male role model is key - especially starting around age five

Overall, it was wort
Simon Bendle
Did you know that mother rats frequently lick the genitals of their male babies, and this helps their brains become fully male? Just one of the many titbits I picked up from this interesting and helpful little book. It’s not a work of genius. Much of what Steve Biddulph has to say is plain common sense. But if, like me, you’re looking for ways to be a better parent to a clutch of high-octane, high-powered pre-school boys you might find it a useful and easy-to-read starting point. Oh, and Biddulp ...more
Michelle
Aug 24, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very useful insight into boys. Made up of fact from extensive research, so to fully appreciate and learn from it I had to swallow some pride at times and accept the author really does know more than me. And I did learn lots especially regarding the testosterone surges, and the three stages of boy to man. There were also a lot of useful parenting tips and suggestions.
Liz
Feb 05, 2009 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book when Ronan was first born, but never got past the first few pages (uh, surprise). But, I found it again recently and it offered a lot of good insights. I will need to re-read it when he turns 6 to brush up on the next developmental change. Very recommended for the parent of a boy.
Sep 16, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting, 2013
For the most part, its a simplified guidebook on what boys really need from parents and communities.

There is a bit about how important it is that boys not be away from a family member within the first three years. Eh.
Kimberly
Jun 04, 2007 Kimberly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NO ONE
Shelves: parenting
The writer is a zealot and way off base. I literally threw the book in the trash, refusing to donate it because I didn't want any other poor soul to read it. The jacket misrepresents the book. The book does a dis-service to humans.
Becca
Jan 07, 2016 Becca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A few good takeaways, but mostly it was full of junk that I would never put into practice.
Jim Cadwallender
Oct 10, 2016 Jim Cadwallender rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant book on boys and how to improve parenting. Also thought provoking with regards to your own childhood, why you are how you are and your own father. Highly recommend.
Joe
Mar 20, 2017 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While the book was interesting in several places, I don't think it has left me with a single piece of actionable advice.

Top 10 recommendations from this book:

6) Give your son one day off per term to spend time doing things he enjoys
7) Be a good role model
8) Try not to get divorced and if you do, don't
Adam Peterson
May 11, 2017 Adam Peterson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Full of practical advise of how to raise boys. I liked the explanation why the boys moods are changing due to the level of testosterone.

I recommend it yo read to every father.
Tina
Practical
funny
Reassuring
Tej Virk
Jan 31, 2017 Tej Virk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
well researched
Patrascu Mihai
Nov 07, 2016 Patrascu Mihai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After this book, you will understand more your beautiful child!
Is a good book!
  • Toddler Taming: A Survival Guide for Parents
  • Three in a Bed: The Benefits of Sleeping with Your Baby
  • Raising Cain: Protecting the Emotional Life of Boys
  • Boys Should Be Boys: 7 Secrets to Raising Healthy Sons
  • Raising Girls: Why Girls Are Different--and How to Help Them Grow up Happy and Strong
  • Nighttime Parenting (Revised): How to Get Your Baby and Child to Sleep
  • The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems: Sleeping, Feeding, and Behavior--Beyond the Basics from Infancy Through Toddlerhood
  • Adventures in Gentle Discipline: A Parent-to-Parent Guide (La Leche League International Book)
  • 150+ Screen-Free Activities for Kids: The Very Best and Easiest Playtime Activities from FunAtHomeWithKids.com!
  • Speaking of Boys: Answers to the Most-Asked Questions About Raising Sons
  • I Love Dirt!: 52 Activities to Help You and Your Kids Discover the Wonders of Nature
  • The Wonder of Boys: What Parents, Mentors and Educators Can Do to Shape Boys into Exceptional Men
  • The Mask of Motherhood: How Becoming a Mother Changes Our Lives and Why We Never Talk About It
  • Respectful Parents, Respectful Kids: 7 Keys to Turn Family Conflict into Cooperation
  • How To Be The Parent You Always Wanted To Be
  • It's OK Not to Share and Other Renegade Rules for Raising Competent and Compassionate Kids
  • How Do You Tuck In a Superhero?: And Other Delightful Mysteries of Raising Boys
  • The New Global Student: Skip the SAT, Save Thousands on Tuition, and Get a Truly International Education

“V dnešní době jsou sebejistější, motivovanější a pracovitější děvčata.” 0 likes
“Do patnácti let věku umírají (chlapci) třikrát častěji než děvčata, a to z nejrůznějších příčin - ale nejvíce následkem úrazu, násilí a pokusu o sebevraždu.” 0 likes