Start by marking “The Virgin of Flames” as Want to Read:
The Virgin of Flames

The Virgin of Flames

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  262 ratings  ·  36 reviews
From the author of the award-winning "GraceLand" comes a searing, dazzlingly written novel of a tarnished City of Angels Praised as "singular" ("The Philadelphia Inquirer") and "extraordinary" ("The New York Times Book Review"), "GraceLand" stunned critics and instantly established Chris Abani as an exciting new voice in fiction. In his second novel, set against the uncomp...more
Published January 30th 2007 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Virgin of Flames, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Virgin of Flames

jo
i am blown away by this fantastic book. i tried to read it a few years ago but i wasn't in the right space and i found it too difficult. some of it is prose poetry. many passages are stunning. i am tempted to copy the whole rosary gloss here but it's long. read it. find it and read it. amazing stuff.

black is a grown man who's spiraling downward while gripped by conflicting powerful forces, among them an uncontrollable creative drive (he paints murals), torturous childhood memories, apparitions...more
Nicole Gervasio
This is a novel which, lamentably, is too often mistaken for a representation of "real life" (whatever that is) for queer and trans people of color (and/or sex workers) in Los Angeles. Abani's said it himself before (look up his TED Talks online-- they're great)-- that a gendered or raced person is inevitably read for his identity rather than his imagination.

If you're going to read this novel, the worst thing you could do is put on the anthropologist's khaki hat, walk in with your legal pad, an...more
Wyatt
Fans of Middlesex will surely like The Virgin of Flames. The synopsis (a street artist who's obsessed with a transexual) had me unsure that it would be my kind of book, despite having loved Abani's last book, Graceland. Abani picks up where he left off with the strange eroticism that his last character got out of putting on makeup as an Elvis impersonator, and takes it to the next level...hell, he takes it ten levels beyond that, into a gritty, beautiful, story of a muralist in L.A. which is als...more
David
There are two ways for me to think about The Virgin of Flames. A.) it is a typical (and overdone) coming of age novel from a liberal UC professor focused on gender, sexuality and ethnicity. Or, B.) it's a probing study of East and Downtown LA from a global citizen who is at once native and guest of Lagos, London, and Los Angeles. Obviously, I prefer sticking with B. For anyone who has waited hours in LA's Union Station or who has bought a piñata on Olympic, Abani's descriptions ring truer and cl...more
Rashaan
A violent and visceral take on the abstract experience of being multi-racial in the United States. Abani physicalizes what can often be a very nebulous and ephemeral existence, and stabs onto the page the confusion, the shape-shifting, and liminal consciousness of mixed race identities. Set in the City of Angels, he brilliantly captures what often defies language.
Chad
chilling, hilarious and tragic. all the more incredible after seeing C.Abani read last Friday night in the District of Columbia. weaves together gender, race, catholicism, child abuse, black outs, and the Blackmobile (a yellow VW bus) into some stellar depictions of Los Angeles.
Amanda Birdwell
I feel bad. I certainly do not have the street cred to *not* love this book by a gay, politically oppressed Nigerian. And I have to say that at least I was able to finish this one -- unlike Graceland, which I have checked out and returned about a million times. I just... I just don't want to hear that much about penises.

I get that it is a valid topic to write about. I even imagine that, five years ago, I could have written a fabulously self-indulgent paper on Black and his penis and his experie...more
Tyler Stoffel
Black, a 36-year-old (the age of Christ) half-Nigerian half-Salvadorean mural artist spends his time being chased around East LA by the archangel Gabriel while he obsesses over a transexual stripper and his own desire to dress in women's clothes, as he paints a fifty-foot tall mural of the Virgin of Fatima. Sounds crazy, but it is told so well that I believe it. I loved the dirty city imagery and the casual drug use portrayed.

Very good characters, Black, Ziggy and Bomboy are all interesting, and...more
Kate Gould
Los Angeles, California. Black is a busy man. By day he collects racist and sexist jokes from toilets for his mural (one from Buckingham Palace via Sharon Osborne), while being stalked by Archangel Gabriel, and obsessing over transvestite stripper, Sweet Girl. By night he stands atop his spaceship in Iggy the psychic tattooist’s wedding dress, letting devotees believe he is the Virgin Mary.

It’s so self-consciously edgy, it’s painful. Maybe I’m a cynical conventionalist, but I’m not sold on his c...more
Ann Keren-zvi
The characters in the book are fable like and the story takes place in East LA. The beautiful, gritty prose elegantly capture an essence of a city known as the City of Angels. I will continue to read passages from this book because of the writing. Mr Abani's chapters click off like photographs, and like a photograph can privately and intimately draw you into that world.
Jamila
This book surprised me. It was heartbreaking and sad; yet, there were spots of humor and joy. Abani wrote with amazing poetry. His descriptions of Los Angeles were specific and colorful. His characters were honest and triumphant, even as they were shameful and violent.
Mariana
This book is astoundingly beautiful and devastating. It is dark and funny and really gets at the confusion of cities, gender, masculinity, and child hood. It is also irreverent and experimental.
Megan
Apr 11, 2007 Megan rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: imbeciles
Shelves: haveread
You should read this book if you enjoy hearing other people bitch and moan about how hard their lives are in a painful fashion that lacks wit and clever design.
Chella Courington
this novel is fabulous, told from the pov of a transsexual. abani does a lovely job of turning LA into an affectionate character. lyrically moving.
Laryssa Wirstiuk
I couldn't finish the book. In fact, I couldn't read past the first 1/4 of it. The book had some shining moments of imagery; Black's inability to find sexual release during one prostitute/stripper bender stands out as a vivid scene. However, there was absolutely NOTHING, in my opinion, moving the narrative forward. What is at stake for the character? I didn't really understand why I should care about him, and the details of his art were so "out there" that I couldn't fully imagine it or take it...more
Jose
Patrick Limcaco
You may not be familiar with the people in Chris Abani’s The Virgin of Flames, but they are the sort of personalities you would love to gossip about. Instead of figuring what this novel is all about, you may be better off marveling at the oddities of the characters.

The novel follows its protagonist, Black, around Los Angeles as he tries to come to terms with his hauntingly ugly childhood through his art. He is a 30-something muralist on a quest to find himself in the vibrant city. He is introduc...more
Olumide Popoola
This is an interesting book (in the good sense of the word). Abani throws open a lot of doors and mixes existentialist angst with gender exploration, dual heritage, tradition, religion, gritty inner city realities... I liked it a lot, I just think the protagonist has a little too much testosterone-driven self-absorption to really root for him. In the end I cared a little more for the issues explored, rather than the story (main character).
Dusty
screw this book, if i read one more story about a "tragic" person with "abuse, race and gender issues" i am going to start ripping out pages.
why do authors insist on burning up the best parts of us multigendered into their wierd ass fantasies and dramas.
i am no longer a fan of this abani person. i appreciated his other book graceland. but i would like to ask him a question "mister abani why do you feature sex workers who are turned on by violence? it is not reality. yes, trans women like sweet g...more
Al
Subculture LA, artist communities, and transgendered lust. Five days after finishing this book, I still don't know how I feel about it. It's a little too quirky/edgy for quirky/edgy's sake, but it touches on so many fabulous themes: The frustration of thinking that other people see/know us better than we see ourselves, the struggle (and failure) for self-realization, the idea that our fantasy of who someone is is often better than (or at least different from)the reality. It's a book that makes y...more
Alfie
I just finished reading this book five minutes ago and I have goosebumps. This is a BEAUTIFULLY written novel by Abani, taking me to a journey of a city that I grew up in, but in an area where I have the luxury to put one foot in and one foot out. This book should not only be focused on its references on the subjects of dysfunctional family, rape, identity issues, rape and sexual identity, it is a visually poetic story of a lost soul living in the opposite end of celebrated Los Angels, being sha...more
Tom Ratliff
This is one of those books where you never really know what's going on...but it keeps you hooked. So don't count on the ending to clear anything up, except the main character shows his ass and acts like a man when he really wants to be a woman...it's supposed to show the gritty side of LA, but I think other books show that in a more accessible fashion.
Kathryn
Well, I've renewed it twice and I'm starting to owe money on it, so for now this will be one of those books that I hope to finish someday. Interesting and edgy concepts yet the language didn't grab me. The content ranges from sensual to horrible but the prose is a bit lackluster.
Richard
A good book with an intriguing character. However, being from Los Angeles, there were some details that made the story suspect for me (fireflies in LA? brushfires and rain occuring at the same time?). Maybe it was over my head and I was not invested enough in the fantastic imagery.
George Ilsley
Read Graceland first, and having fallen in love with that novel, it can be hard to transfer one's affection for a different novel by the same author. I'm sure if I had read this one first, it would be first in my affections.

This can be no doubt that Abani is a major talent.
Julie
On a second read I found the struggle of the main character intriguing. His ecletic group of friends try and support him on his search for idenity. The art and religon aspects influence the characters in a way that inspires thought.
Addie
why don't other people like this book as much as i did? it made me want to read again. if nothing else, it's a beautiful story about downtown LA, the LA river, and the ashes in the air fromt the fires.
Olivia
Aug 30, 2007 Olivia is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
still reading....enjoying Chris Abani....I loved Graceland and decided to read this one.....different yet still that same approachable style....
Elissa
great story about a man coming to terms with his sexuality with the wonderful, scary and amazing city of Los Angeles as the background.
Steven Sears
mmm loved song for a night. This is still a well written and very easy to read book. Just a bit out there..!
  • A Visitation of Spirits: A Novel
  • The Healers
  • The Loony-Bin Trip
  • Mean Little Deaf Queer
  • Secret Son
Christopher Abani (or Chris Abani) is a Nigerian author.

He was a political prisoner in Nigeria at various times during 1985 and 1991. At times he was held in solitary confinement and he was held on death row for some time after being sentenced to death for treason.

He is a Professor at the University of California, Riverside and the recipient of the PEN USA Freedom-to-Write Award, the 2001 Prince C...more
More about Chris Abani...
GraceLand Song for Night Becoming Abigail The Secret History of Las Vegas: A Novel Kalakuta Republic