Start by marking “More Tales of Pirx the Pilot” as Want to Read:
More Tales of Pirx the Pilot

More Tales of Pirx the Pilot (Pirx the Pilot)

Commander Pirx, who drives space vehicles for a living in the galaxy of the future, here faces a new series of intriguing adventures in which robots demonstrate some alarmingly human characteristics. Translated by Louis Iribarne, assisted by Magdalena Majcherczyk and Michael Kandel. A Helen and Kurt Wolff Book
Published September 26th 1983 by Mariner Books (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about More Tales of Pirx the Pilot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Tales of Pirx the Pilot

Oct 08, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
I like "Pirx the Pilot". First off, he's a spaceman working the dangerous but necessary profession of space transport. His universe isn't like the clean, Art Deco-inspired spaceships of the traditional Star Trek franchise. It could be right around the corner in a gas station bay, a machine shop, or the engine of a small tramp steamer; capable but messy. Secondly, the man himself teems with thoughts and ideas but show little of this to those around him. Only we, the readers, see the metal gyratio ...more
Linus Williams
Dec 26, 2015 Linus Williams rated it it was amazing
Stanislaw Lem is an almost criminally underrated Sci-Fi author, and translations of his books are rare in the US. I grew up reading him, though, so it's nice to revisit the classics. He tells stories of space travel that are cerebral, but that also raise some interesting issues of emotion and what it means to be human. His ongoing Pirx the Pilot novels are great--and I'm glad I have this one.
Richard Needham
Dec 08, 2009 Richard Needham rated it really liked it
I took this along on a recent trip to Asia. Lem, the recently deceased author of the truly disturbing 'Solaris'(btw, the Russian film version of the novel is also supremely creepy; I haven't seen the newer version) brings on world-weary Pirx for these five wonderful stories (world weary at the age of 40; such is the lot of interplanetary space pilots, who must undergo rigorous annual physical and mental examinations: age takes its toll).

These stories are very entertaining and masterfully written
Robert Gustavo
Dec 29, 2015 Robert Gustavo rated it really liked it
Few books are more aptly titled that "More Tales of Pirx the Pilot" -- if you have read "Tales of Pirx the Pilot" you know exactly what you are getting: more of the same. It's a little less original this time around, and you aren't really getting to understand the main character any better than you did in the first collection, there's just more.

More well done little stories. They feel a little hollow, but only because they are frequently treading the same ground that was tread (trodden) equally
Philip Challinor
Jul 10, 2009 Philip Challinor rated it really liked it
The Pirx stories aren't quite up to Lem's usual standard of originality and depth, but they're still well ahead of most others. Pirx continues his career as a qualified astronavigator, starting the collection in the first person with an anecdote about the vagaries of chance in bringing him to the verge of a possibly shattering discovery, and including "The Hunt", "The Inquest" and "Ananke", tales of pursuit and detection exploring the relationships between human and artificial intelligence.
Jan 27, 2015 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are the later stories from Pirx' career. While Lem has tried to write a good adventure story, that's not what I think he does best (or what I enjoy the most). Luckily the stories do include some nice diversions to discuss the philosophical and introspective matters that have always been his forte. I think this is required reading in Polish high schools, though I'd only recommend it to people who are already familiar with Lem.
Mar 31, 2016 Leif rated it really liked it
Pirx is one of my favorite SF characters and Lem's neat philosophies and technologies are just as evident here as in his other great works. These stories are centered around robots, computers, and Pirx's relations to them. Not as good as the first collection, but still excellent.
Jun 17, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Coping with robots, computers, the programmers of computers, in a world where human existence is dependent on those things -- Pirx, our hero, survives by distrusting both machines and their creators. I liked these stories, the first that have kept me awake and reading in a long time.
Dec 05, 2015 Connor rated it it was amazing
Damn, even better than the previous ones. Amazing writing. Best one is easily when Pirx is the pilot of a half human half robot crew, and he is trying to figure out which ones are robots.
Jan 24, 2013 Ariel added it
Pirx es un antihéroe de ficción que a pesar de todo hace las cosas bien gracias a sus valores. Interesante.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
An average sap stumbles into these situations on other planets and out in space, and manages somehow to save the day. I wish he'd written more Pirx stories!
Jul 26, 2007 Eve rated it it was amazing
aw Pirx, such a schlub! He wants to be a tough-as-nails space pilot, instead he's stuck winning, losing and otherwise muddling along thru sheer sweaty persistence. Big love for these stories.
Apr 22, 2008 Patrick\ rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, short-stories
Pirx has his few comfortable moments. This set of short stories from the prolific imagination of Lem once again demonstrate his breadth of knowledge both of people and science. A fun read.
Maciek rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2010
Riku rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2015
Chris rated it liked it
May 18, 2012
Ewan rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2012
Mark rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2008
Alex Paprotny
Alex Paprotny rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2013
Narora rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2008
Michał Dawid
Michał Dawid rated it really liked it
May 31, 2015
Paweł Osiński
Paweł Osiński rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2015
conanthelibrarian rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Slavi rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Andrew Villwock
Andrew Villwock rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2016
Paul Paulson
Paul Paulson rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2016
Garth rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2012
Vitalii Daniuk
Vitalii Daniuk rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Manuel rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2014
Krystian rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2012
  • Град обреченный
  • Can You Feel Anything When I Do This?
  • Paradyzja
  • The Humanoid Touch (Humanoids, #2)
  • The Collected Stories of Philip K. Dick, Volume 3: The Father-Thing
  • The Thackery T. Lambshead Pocket Guide to Eccentric and Discredited Diseases
  • Angry Candy
  • The Complete Humorous Sketches and Tales of Mark Twain
  • Year's Best SF 3
Stanisław Lem (staˈɲiswaf lɛm) was a Polish science fiction, philosophical and satirical writer of Jewish descent. His books have been translated into 41 languages and have sold over 27 million copies. He is perhaps best known as the author of Solaris, which has twice been made into a feature film. In 1976, Theodore Sturgeon claimed that Lem was the most widely read science-fiction writer in the w ...more
More about Stanisław Lem...

Pirx the Pilot (3 books)