Start by marking “Series Of Unfortunate Events: No.4” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Series Of Unfortunate ...

Lemony Snicket

Series Of Unfortunate Events: No.4 (A Series of Unfortunate Events #4)

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  102,629 Ratings  ·  2,641 Reviews
Dear Reader,

I hope, for your sake, that you have not chosen to read this book because you are in the mood for a pleasant experience. If this is the case, I advise you to put this book down instantaneously, because of all the books describing the unhappy lives of the Baudelaire orphans, THE MISERABLE MILL might be the unhappiest yet. Violet, Klaus and Sunny Baudelaire are s
Hardcover
Published November 2004 by HarperCollins Publishers (Australia) Pty Ltd (first published April 15th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Series Of Unfortunate Events, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sofia Actually, once you keep reading the other books, your questions will be answered. It's a matter of time.
Maryam Kath, you could get it at the bookstore or read it in the library.

Cait (Paper Fury)
This series is too perfect and it hurts my eyes. Get it?? GET IT??? Because of all the eye symbols in the book? OMG I'M SO FREAKISHLY HILARIOUS. (To myself at least shhhh.)

So I particularly enjoyed my reread of book because it's truly dastardly. And even when I first read them at 14, I loved how dark they could get. They're never graphic, but they are also 500% disturbing when you really think about it.

So just put this together: sawmill + hypnotised Baudelaires + Count Olaf being evil = SURELY
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
I like the idea of the mill but it was just okay. I had the vibe of a horror movie in an old mill so I think this messed up the book for me. Lol.
Apr 25, 2007 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids and adults who think like them
Lemony Snicket is fun, it's terribly depressing and highly entertaining. All the books make me feel like I'm 12 again, and I curl up on the couch, laughing out loud and eating gummy bears.
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
I adore the development of the Baudelaire kids in this book. That's easily my favorite part. This is also, of all four of my rereads, the book I remembered least so it was fun to really rediscover a lot of the plot elements that I had forgotten.

Also, I have to say I have seen some spoilers for how Charles and Sir are portrayed in the ASOUE show and I'm thrilled. So, overall, I have loved rereading these four books in the series. I can't wait to continue rereading more of them later but jus rere
Ashley Daviau
Jan 22, 2017 Ashley Daviau rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series just gets more and more miserable as it goes along and I just love it! It still truly astonishes me how horrible the adults in these books are no matter how many times I read them. The way they treat the children is absolutely appalling but I think that's part of the charm of this series. The poor Baudelaires can just never get a break! That's what makes this series real though because a lot of the time in real life, orphans do have terrible experiences and bounce around from home to ...more
Feb 05, 2017 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, 2017, childrens
The more books I read, the less I like this series. I'm now 100% positive that I didn't read these books as a child. Perhaps if I did, I would like them better now but unfortunately I feel lukewarm at best about this series. I just feel like these stories go around and around in circles and I'm quite tired of it. I like the kids but the story just isn't working for me anymore. This was probably my least favourite book so far but thinking about it now, the mill was probably one of the stronger st ...more
Aimee Meester
a baby uses her teeth to sword fight with a grown woman and and actual sword so really that's all you need to know about why this is a great book
Georgina Ortiz
Apr 09, 2012 Georgina Ortiz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Favorite insight: It is much, much worse to receive bad news through the written word than by somebody simply telling you, and I'm sure you understand why. When somebody simply tells you bad news, you hear it once, and that's the end of it. But when bad news is written down, whether in a letter or a newspaper or on your arm in felt tip pen, each time you read it, you feel as if you are receiving the news again and again.
Vanz
Jan 17, 2017 Vanz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
3.8

My least favorite ASOUE book so far. Same style, but different situations. I think the Baudelaire children can really look out for themselves, so the plot needs to get more in depth. Just like the previous book, "The Wide Window", this series is trying to take a darker and more mature lane... so I guess children below 8 years old will not appreciate this book. Nevertheless, it was still a fun read on my part. Still charming and full of misadventures. It's interesting to see what Count Olaf
Lauren
UPDATE: 19/Jan/2017

The review from before is wrong because yes I still liked this book but now that I've read all of the books this one is my least favourite.

6/Dec/2016
I liked this book much more than I expected. It was different from the others and that made me like it.
Jason Koivu
Feb 27, 2009 Jason Koivu rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Miserable indeed. Unfortunately this book in A Series of Unfortunate Events takes its title too literally. I enjoyed the first book and love the concept of put-upon children succeeding with no foreseeable hope on the horizon. However, the execution is too formulaic, mill-like if you will. I can put up with the repetition, because the author's bits of wit keep it fun, but this had less wit and more formula than the first three.

Mark Lawrence
The Miserable Mill continues the trend of me liking each book less than the previous one in this series.

Don't get me wrong - it's still a fun read with plenty of cleverness and wit, and Celyn still seems to be enjoying me reading her the stories. It's also worth noting that this volume has the lowest average rating on Goodreads of all 13 books in the series, so I'm hopeful things will improve.

In this book the established formula is applied with little or no variation. The bad point, for me, th
Riley
This one has always been my least favorite of the series
Richard Denney
3 STARS

This wasn't as good as the first three, that's for sure. I'm hoping that the 5th redeems the fourth and that it's more exciting than this one was. I did love that Count Olaf was in drag haha I'm interested to see how they adapt this one considering it was kind of boring and really felt like a filler book to be honest. I still enjoyed it though. :)

Now on to "The Austere Academy"!!

- Richard
Larissa
I'm not sure I have adequate words to describe my reaction to this book.

I think I need more time to digest. I feel like I stepped out of the Twilight Zone, and I'm suffering from a rare form of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

EDIT: I have now changed my final rating to three stars. After reading book 5, it's become clear to me that the pacing and tone of this book is far too irrepressibly dreary, even for an unhappy story like the Baudelaire's. It felt a lot like being battered by a particularly
Rebecca McNutt
The Miserable Mill is my favorite in this series so far. Does anybody recall the criminally underrated 1995 film The Mangler? Well, this book is quite similar. When the orphans find themselves at the doors to the creepy Lucky Smells Lumber Mill (what the hell was Lemony Snicket on when he made that name up???), they find that despite the deplorable conditions, at least Count Olaf is nowhere to be seen... but as usual, they can't evade the grim happening in their situation forever.
Natt BookEuphoria
I read this in a day, today. This book was great and action packed. The only thing is that I feel that it is taking quite a unrealistic turn as the same formula is repeated. I do not mind the repetition of the formula but in a reasonable way. By this book I am seriously thinking, doesnt Count Olaf have anything better to do than to make the lies of three kids a living hell. I think that it would have been 100 times easier for him to just rob the bank with the Baudelaire fortune. The hypnosis thi ...more
Elaina
This was probably my least favorite so far :/ I still think I will continue on though because I have heard the next one is better :) Plus these are such quick reads to me so I don't mind giving them a try!
Leah Bird
Jan 18, 2017 Leah Bird rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HE'S DONE IT AGAIN, FOLKS.
Octavia
Jul 25, 2016 Octavia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-star
Mini Review: 2 1/2 stars. This one might be my least favorite so far. I think it was certainly the most "unfortunate", with the Baudelaire's being sent off to work in a lumber mill. The setting of the lumber mill wasn't pleasant to read about and the plot felt more formulaic than the others. I still think it was an entertaining read, even if it is my least favorite of the first four. Fingers crossed this series doesn't become repetitive...
Yaprak
Jun 20, 2016 Yaprak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
An eye doctor called Dr. Orwell. Yes.
Kat Thomas
Mar 01, 2011 Kat Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a series these books are incredible. The formulaic plot that is repeated in every book satisfies the child who is being read to's expectation of what's going on, right and wrong and the band of simple characters.

Where the books become really clever is the additional bits of plot woven into the anecdotes, dedications and acknowledgments, written for the older reader, whether parents reading aloud or older children.

The humour is clever, beautifully insightful and infinitely quotable. Type Lem
Deborah Markus
May 13, 2013 Deborah Markus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-a-copy
I've already read this on the page, and just now listened to the recorded edition, which is read by the author. If Snicket himself had read the entire series, I would have simply enjoyed it; but it's horribly unfair to ask any reader to follow Tim Curry, who read the first two books. Snicket's reading is sweet and heartfelt; it's just that Curry's is brilliant, especially when it comes to Count Olaf. Also, I think it's fair to say that Snicket writes with a British accent but speaks with an Amer ...more
Lo
i can't believe all these people truly went and let a baby work at a lumbermill. A BABY. at a LUMBERMILL. i don't think i can get over this (that and the fact that someone then went and fought said baby with a SWORD. and didn't even win?! and got herself impaled on a saw good riddance bitch for that matter)
Stewart
These are really pretty crappy books. The jokey self-referential writing (which was already tiresome by the end of the first book) is just irritating after the umpteenth repetition, the characters are unsympathetic (in the case of the main characters), one-dimensional (everyone else), or obnoxious (the narrator), and the plot repetitive and predictable. It's a good thing I'm a devoted dad and if my son wants me to read these to him at bedtime, I'll grit my teeth and read 'em. But I don't have to ...more
Liam
Sep 13, 2014 Liam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was so much better than I remember it being when I read it as a kid!

I loved how in this one Count Olaf didn't pop up straight away as it was gripping to read and to eerily await his arrival!

I'll never stop saying this but Snicket really does have such an incredible writing style!! He creates such intriguing and fascinating characters in such real yet peculiar worlds!

I'm definitely going to have to reread this series now and I am so excited!
Mikayla
Mar 18, 2016 Mikayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one is so far the most miserable one. I enjoyed this one more than the previous book as you can tell with me managing this one in a day.

This one wasn't in the movie and I think that explains why I enjoyed it so much, because I didn't know what was going to happen (and knowing the same stereotypical stuff at the same time).

Great instalment to the series, a huge 5 stars from me.
Bailey Marissa Bowers
I love the running joke that kids don't know anything and the kids proving them wrong.

11+ for moderate violence to kids.
Mel
Jul 06, 2012 Mel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reread 2015. I read these when I was very young, and now I'm trying to get through the entire series since I never finished the last book. I need to know how this series ends.
The Neverlanders: The Miserable Mill - Goodreads Discussion 4 13 Feb 01, 2015 02:10PM
The Neverlanders: The Miserable Mill - Voxer Discussion 1 8 Jan 30, 2015 08:32AM
The Nooks of Books: The Miserable Mill 1 1 Jan 28, 2015 03:44AM
  • The Curse of Deadman's Forest (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #2)
  • Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Search for Snake Eyes (Sammy Keyes, #7)
  • Molly Moon Stops the World (Molly Moon, #2)
  • The Wright 3 (Chasing Vermeer, #2)
  • Public Enemies (On The Run, #5)
  • The Edge Chronicles 6: Midnight Over Sanctaphrax: Third Book of Twig
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • Knightley Academy (Knightley Academy, #1)
  • Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris (Theodosia Throckmorton, #2)
  • The Haunting of Granite Falls
  • Hey Kid, Want to Buy a Bridge? (Time Warp Trio #11)
  • Magic and Other Misdemeanors (The Sisters Grimm, #5)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com
More about Lemony Snicket...

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)

“They're book addicts.” 653 likes
“I'm sure you have heard it said that appearance does not matter so much, and that it is what's on the inside that counts. This is, of course, utter nonsense, because if it were true then people who were good on this inside would would never have to comb their hair or take a bath, and the whole world would smell even worse than it already does.” 89 likes