Voice of the Earth: An Exploration of Ecopsychology

Voice of the Earth: An Exploration of Ecopsychology

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Examining perspectives on the connection between man's inner being and the outer world, this title covers topics such as the Anthropic Principle, Gaia Hypothesis, mysticism, religion, nature, and more.
Published December 1st 2001 by Phanes Press (first published 1992)

Chaz
May 03, 2008 Chaz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: psychologists, ecologists, philosophers
A highly detailed introduction to the field of eco-psychology. It would be helpful to have a good understanding of psychology, philosophy and ecology before reading this. This book is incredibly in-depth and proposes many questions to the reader about the meaning of life, the creation of the universe, and our interconnectivity with all species.

The Hermetic saying "as above, so below" for the sake of brevity sums up the various suppositions presented here. The author wants us to understand when w...more
Heather Smith
The founder of psychoanalysis, Sigmund Freud, did not believe that psychoanalysis would bring men to happiness. Far from it. In his view, his theory of psychoanalysis was the "third outrage" in humankind's long, arduous march from superstition to civilization. The first was Copernicus' discovery that our Earth is not the center of the universe; the second, the Darwinian revolution in biology which robbed man of his sense of being specially created by God, relegating him to having descended from...more
Emily
This book took me a painfully long time to read (3 months!) because I kept having to stop and read other things that weren't so "heavy." Don't get me wrong, most of the books I read are academic (non novel) books, but this one was too much. Maybe if I had a background in psychology, philosophy or cosmology I would have gotten more out of it. There is a LOT of info in this book, but I don't feel it flowed together well at all.

Personally, if I did it again, I would skip chapters 4, 5, 10 & 11...more
Braden Canfield
A remarkable and thought provoking book from a historian with a tremendous breadth of knowledge. This is a strong argument advocating for psychology to join the forces of ecologists in attempting to heal our collective insanity evidenced by our species apparent voracious appetite for destroying our own habitat. It is a bit weak on practical strategies but attempts to point the way. I believe he tackles practicalities in a follow-up volume.
Gianetta
I liked this book though I found Roszak's voice a bit dry. I was left wanting more than was addressed in this book. I have a desire to see the idea of ecopsychology broadened.
Michael
great
Doug
This one introduced me to ecopsychology.
Angela Davis-unger
Angela Davis-unger marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Amalajohn28gmail.com
Amalajohn28gmail.com marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Aashish Vidam
Aashish Vidam marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Douglas
Douglas marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
A.O.
A.O. marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Nhorja
Nhorja marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Martin Zook
Martin Zook marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Mikayla
Mikayla marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Kari Barrows
Kari Barrows marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Jeanne Goloub
Jeanne Goloub marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Db123
Db123 marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
M
M marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Kersean
Kersean marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Danylyuk Inna
Danylyuk Inna marked it as to-read
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
Erinmelissa999
Erinmelissa999 marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Flicker Ecopsychology: Restoring the Earth/Healing the Mind The Making of a Counter Culture The Memoirs of Elizabeth Frankenstein The Cult of Information: A Neo-Luddite Treatise on High-Tech, Artificial Intelligence, and the True Art of Thinking