Start by marking “2184” as Want to Read:

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In a future where science has accelerated human evolution, humankind diverges into two separate species: a genetically enhanced "super race" and ordinary humans or Mongrels. Decades of discrimination lead to a brutal war that ends with the super race in full control; the Mongrels, defeated and subservient, secretly yearn for revenge. Both sides are aware, however, that a r...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published April 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about 2184, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 2184

Anissa
This was one of those stories where you follow the protagonist from one thing to another & when you reach the end of your journey, you wonder if you've been caught in an allegory all along. I never much connected to Mark Henshaw & that's rather sad as he narrates this tale. I didn't feel much for him or his plight & ultimately, I just wanted to get on to Marengo (because that was the point of a this whole trip, or so I thought). I honestly didn't understand why in the world in which...more
Michelle
In the year 2184, humans come in two varieties: the genetically modified version (the Mods), and the ordinary, run of the mill variety (the Mongrels). The Mods, who are smarter and stronger than the Mongrels, have taken over as the dominant species on the planet and treat their genetic inferiors like work animals, keeping them under a harsh regime that dictates everything they do.

The novel 2184 starts off strong. When the main character Mark Henshaw, a Mongrel, is arrested for breaking curfew, h...more
J.M.
I liked the author's style and wanted to like this book more than I did, but I felt the ending was a letdown. Mark dwells so much on the two things that, in the end, he doesn't get. WTF? How is that a satisfactory ending?
Laurie
Like 1984, except a couple of hundred years in the future from now, once again we have a majority of suppressed humans living under the rule of a totalitarian, elite society, except in this book, the superior rulers are genetically enhanced humans who have evolved into a new species that only keep us "mongrels" around for work. A strong start but the writing is pretty amateurish and often redundant. Why do I keep reading books like this?

I have now finished the book and changed my rating to a 3....more
Danielle Evans
While looking for a book on my Kindle that seemed unique and intriguing, I found this one. I got exactly what I was looking for. There are some books that I read when I have the time. This was one of those books where I made the time to read it. I couldn't wait to see what would happen next. In a future world where there are genetically enhanced humans who treat regular humans as inferior, the main character is given an opportunity to fight back against the advanced race. He is just an ordinary...more
Jennifer Garoutte
I found this book very flat, colorless, & unemotional. I couldn't connect with the characters. Most of the peripheral characters where as memorable as the person you passed by at the grocery store. You can't remember any details about them because there are no details given. The main character talks about being in love or angry, but there really isn't a sense of it. I couldn't feel anything for any of the characters because it was written in the first person and the main character seems unem...more
what a bad ending...
Steve Riedisser
It was a good read... you really felt bad for the main character cuz he just couldn't catch a break. The story was of an average man working in an average job trying to survive in a post apocalyptic London ruled by Homo Sapiens genetically engineered children, Homo Superior. You never really meet them except in a very brief encounter or two. The story mostly examines the depth to which man has fallen, and basic behaviors, moralities, and racial mortality. The story moved at a good easy pace, nev...more
Steven
A lot has already been said in the reviews about the plot. But as you'd expect from the title it's a dystopian tale very much in the vein of 1984. However, in this case the fall of human (mongrel) society is rooted in technology and very much of its own making. Don't expect a high paced action romp because it's more a tale about survival, hard choices and coping with adversity. As with 1984 the resolution is less than cheerful, but thought provoking. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Brenda Fryland
Definitely enjoyed this book. Interesting premise, loved all the internal thought. It was action packed in places, but didn't keep up the pace -- and I didn't mind that at all! I'd love to see the author add depth to the characters and step up the language. I really appreciate word choice and descriptive passages. I'd read another book by this author!
John
Not the best, not the worst, I actually read the entire thing. An interesting what if world and the evolution of man. Not sure if things would roll out the same way, but shrug that is what fiction is all about. The possible outcomes of future outcomes.
Al Blackwell
Overall, a pretty good book. Some of the elements. We're a bit tedious but the story was engaging. If you like "what if the world went to hell in a hand basket and I could do something about it" stories you will find this interesting.
Dustin Byer
This was an enjoyable read. It was the first Kindle "Single" I have read and really appreciated the pacing of the shorter format.

2184 was able to get to me to stop and think, which I always enjoy, but I felt it fell flat at the end.
Jill Smith
I loved this book. I thought it was interesting with a realistic ending. Not your typical hero storry...also not a happily ever after ending.
There was some redundantcy...but overall I really liked it.
Very interesting concept.
Janet
I seem to have a love of future earth stories. This one is a bit disheartening, as it deals with the end of homo sapiens and the advent of homo excelens. A fun read, even if I wished for a different outcome.
Daron Yondem
Somehow I just found myself stuck in the story, I could not stop reading. I can't really say the book or the story was amazing from a science fiction perspective but it was suspenseful.
Matt Rutherford
Not bad. Thoughtful. Dystopia of genetically enhanced ruling the old-style humans. I like what lay people imagine the capabilities of science/scientists include.
Fiona
Pretty good overall...

Love that the ending was so.................

You will have to read it to see what I mean
Heather
This book was an enjoyable read. While it's not perfect, it's worth the $1.99.
G.F. Smith
Nice Dystopic read. I enjoyed this one very much!

G. F. Smith
www.gfsmithbooks.com
Danielle
Not super impressed overall. An okay post-apocalyptic story.
Johnna Cornett
Dystopian, different, British
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Gvnuysal
Gvnuysal marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014

“It's amazing how time can move both quickly and slowly at the same time.” 1 likes