Start by marking “2184” as Want to Read:

In a future where science has accelerated human evolution, humankind diverges into two separate species: a genetically enhanced "super race" and ordinary humans or Mongrels. Decades of discrimination lead to a brutal war that ends with the super race in full control; the Mongrels, defeated and subservient, secretly yearn for revenge. Both sides are aware, however, that a r ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published April 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about 2184, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 2184

Anissa
Jul 03, 2012 Anissa rated it it was ok
This was one of those stories where you follow the protagonist from one thing to another & when you reach the end of your journey, you wonder if you've been caught in an allegory all along. I never much connected to Mark Henshaw & that's rather sad as he narrates this tale. I didn't feel much for him or his plight & ultimately, I just wanted to get on to Marengo (because that was the point of a this whole trip, or so I thought). I honestly didn't understand why in the world in which ...more
Michelle
Apr 06, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads
In the year 2184, humans come in two varieties: the genetically modified version (the Mods), and the ordinary, run of the mill variety (the Mongrels). The Mods, who are smarter and stronger than the Mongrels, have taken over as the dominant species on the planet and treat their genetic inferiors like work animals, keeping them under a harsh regime that dictates everything they do.

The novel 2184 starts off strong. When the main character Mark Henshaw, a Mongrel, is arrested for breaking curfew, h
J.M.
Jul 05, 2012 J.M. rated it liked it
I liked the author's style and wanted to like this book more than I did, but I felt the ending was a letdown. Mark dwells so much on the two things that, in the end, he doesn't get. WTF? How is that a satisfactory ending?
Teresa Vogt
Detained for no real crime sent to a horrid work camp, does he come out a better man or full of rage to fight back?

This review is from: 2184 (Kindle Edition)

Mark trying to get home before dark, doesn't make it. In fact he is imprisoned and placed in a work camp. You see Mark is just a Human, not a Mod, Modified Human he doesn't have the extra DNA that makes Moods the basic rulers of Mankind. His escape and fight to get to a virus that could destroy the Mods is filled with danger. Humans are a dy
Laurie
May 22, 2011 Laurie rated it liked it
Like 1984, except a couple of hundred years in the future from now, once again we have a majority of suppressed humans living under the rule of a totalitarian, elite society, except in this book, the superior rulers are genetically enhanced humans who have evolved into a new species that only keep us "mongrels" around for work. A strong start but the writing is pretty amateurish and often redundant. Why do I keep reading books like this?

I have now finished the book and changed my rating to a 3.
Danielle Evans
Jun 21, 2012 Danielle Evans rated it really liked it
While looking for a book on my Kindle that seemed unique and intriguing, I found this one. I got exactly what I was looking for. There are some books that I read when I have the time. This was one of those books where I made the time to read it. I couldn't wait to see what would happen next. In a future world where there are genetically enhanced humans who treat regular humans as inferior, the main character is given an opportunity to fight back against the advanced race. He is just an ordinary ...more
Jennifer Garoutte
Jun 28, 2011 Jennifer Garoutte rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, fiction
I found this book very flat, colorless, & unemotional. I couldn't connect with the characters. Most of the peripheral characters where as memorable as the person you passed by at the grocery store. You can't remember any details about them because there are no details given. The main character talks about being in love or angry, but there really isn't a sense of it. I couldn't feel anything for any of the characters because it was written in the first person and the main character seems unem ...more
Steve Riedisser
Aug 20, 2011 Steve Riedisser rated it liked it
It was a good read... you really felt bad for the main character cuz he just couldn't catch a break. The story was of an average man working in an average job trying to survive in a post apocalyptic London ruled by Homo Sapiens genetically engineered children, Homo Superior. You never really meet them except in a very brief encounter or two. The story mostly examines the depth to which man has fallen, and basic behaviors, moralities, and racial mortality. The story moved at a good easy pace, nev ...more
Steven
Mar 10, 2012 Steven rated it really liked it
A lot has already been said in the reviews about the plot. But as you'd expect from the title it's a dystopian tale very much in the vein of 1984. However, in this case the fall of human (mongrel) society is rooted in technology and very much of its own making. Don't expect a high paced action romp because it's more a tale about survival, hard choices and coping with adversity. As with 1984 the resolution is less than cheerful, but thought provoking. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Brenda Fryland
Apr 06, 2012 Brenda Fryland rated it liked it
Definitely enjoyed this book. Interesting premise, loved all the internal thought. It was action packed in places, but didn't keep up the pace -- and I didn't mind that at all! I'd love to see the author add depth to the characters and step up the language. I really appreciate word choice and descriptive passages. I'd read another book by this author!
Janet
May 02, 2012 Janet rated it really liked it
I seem to have a love of future earth stories. This one is a bit disheartening, as it deals with the end of homo sapiens and the advent of homo excelens. A fun read, even if I wished for a different outcome.
John
Sep 03, 2012 John rated it liked it
Not the best, not the worst, I actually read the entire thing. An interesting what if world and the evolution of man. Not sure if things would roll out the same way, but shrug that is what fiction is all about. The possible outcomes of future outcomes.
Dustin Byer
Apr 24, 2011 Dustin Byer rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable read. It was the first Kindle "Single" I have read and really appreciated the pacing of the shorter format.

2184 was able to get to me to stop and think, which I always enjoy, but I felt it fell flat at the end.
Jill Smith
Mar 23, 2011 Jill Smith rated it really liked it
I loved this book. I thought it was interesting with a realistic ending. Not your typical hero storry...also not a happily ever after ending.
There was some redundantcy...but overall I really liked it.
Very interesting concept.
Al Blackwell
Jun 10, 2012 Al Blackwell rated it liked it
Overall, a pretty good book. Some of the elements. We're a bit tedious but the story was engaging. If you like "what if the world went to hell in a hand basket and I could do something about it" stories you will find this interesting.
Daron Yondem
May 01, 2011 Daron Yondem rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, for-fun
Somehow I just found myself stuck in the story, I could not stop reading. I can't really say the book or the story was amazing from a science fiction perspective but it was suspenseful.
Fiona
Sep 18, 2011 Fiona rated it really liked it
Pretty good overall...

Love that the ending was so.................

You will have to read it to see what I mean
Matt Rutherford
Aug 01, 2011 Matt Rutherford rated it liked it
Not bad. Thoughtful. Dystopia of genetically enhanced ruling the old-style humans. I like what lay people imagine the capabilities of science/scientists include.
Barbara Barrow
Barbara Barrow rated it liked it
May 25, 2014
Dennis Worthington
Dennis Worthington rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2013
David
David rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2012
Mike C.
Mike C. rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2013
Richard Alcantara
Richard Alcantara rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Kevin M Meredith
Kevin M Meredith rated it it was ok
Jul 18, 2015
Johnny Hinojosa
Johnny Hinojosa rated it it was ok
Aug 19, 2014
LLoyd McPherson
LLoyd McPherson rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2015
Josh
Josh rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2015
Shai Isenberg
Shai Isenberg rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2013
Mampersat
Mampersat rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2011
  • House of Steel: The Honorverse Companion
  • Tumbler
  • The Survivors (Ragnarok, #1)
  • Subspace Encounter (Subspace, #2)
  • The Fredric Brown MEGAPACK ®: 33 Classic Science Fiction Stories
  • Space Race I: Solar Flare
  • Shiva in Steel (Berserker, #11)
  • Engineering Infinity
  • Thor Meets Captain America
  • The Eighth Science Fiction Megapack: 25 Modern and Classic Stories
  • The Mammoth Book of Mindblowing SF
  • Year's Best SF 14
  • The Robert Sheckley Megapack: 15 Classic Science Fiction Stories
  • Small Miracles
  • Velvet Dogma
  • To Be a Woman (The Metal Maiden Series, #1)
  • Back to the Moon
  • Mind Changer (Sector General, #11)

“It's amazing how time can move both quickly and slowly at the same time.” 1 likes