Start by marking “The Zombie Chronicles” as Want to Read:
The Zombie Chronicles

The Zombie Chronicles (The Zombie Chronicles #1)

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  466 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
It was the start of another ordinary day at the office for Max, he was emailing a friend when one of his other early morning co-workers called for his help, someone was having a heart attack. Rushing to the aid of his fallen co-worker Max knew one thing, it wasn't a heart attack. Heart attack victims didn't bleed and didn't start chewing on anyone they could catch either.
Nook, 0 pages
Published January 20th 2010 by Smashwords, Inc. (first published March 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Zombie Chronicles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Zombie Chronicles

Midu Hadi
Kirk Allmond
Apr 04, 2012 Kirk Allmond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. I love the entire series. I've read countless zombie novels, my kindle is full of them. This book is one of the very few that takes the idea of zombies and makes it his own. If you're one of those "Zombies have to be slow and stupid" people, this probably isn't the book for you. If you like genuine characters, and a unique twist on zombies that makes them even scarier, then you should give this a shot.
Amanda T
May 25, 2011 Amanda T rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Grep
Apr 30, 2012 Grep rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DISCLAIMER - I am pretty much a Romero Zombie Purist. I have also read a lot of uninspired, paint by the numbers Zombie books and stories in the past 3 years, so if you are going to switch it up - it better be damn good and create a world with characters I want to visit over and over again.

Mr Clodi succeeds were many have failed. I enjoy the company of many of these characters and care about where the groups of survivors end up.

His writing and stories improve with each book, trust me, the traini
Elaine Wong
Jan 02, 2013 Elaine Wong rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book for $1.02 off of Chapters. It is worth every penny.

Let's start with the flaws. Oh, the flaws.

The writing is terrible. The author swaps between past and present tense randomly. The characters have stilted, unnatural-sounding speech. Punctuation and odd paragraphing feels like I'm editing a sixth grader's first story. Contractions are rare, which honestly makes people sound robotic. Mark Clodi consistently makes the same spelling mistakes: cubicle instead of cubical, conscience
Caleb Mcquade
Mar 27, 2015 Caleb Mcquade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the book, Outbreak by Mark Clodi is a great book. This Book is very good with a lot of meaning. This book is a good moral check for what kind of position you would be in if something like a natural disaster or a zombie outbreak like in this book. This book was very enjoyable for numerous reasons involving the vast amount of details that are in the book explaining the current situations.the plot of the book was also very good,Max ,the main character, is trying to return home from his office job w ...more
Nigel
Jul 17, 2015 Nigel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book as I think it had promise, but in the end it just disappointed. I was really looking forward to the author’s different taken on the traditional ‘brain dead’ zombie. Unfortunately I think he tried to do many things in one go. Not only were we to experience the situation from the zombies point of view but we had them evolving a kind of heat sensitive eye sight, talking, plotting /planning and the healing and enthralling capabilities usually ascribed to vampires.
If
Shelley
Mar 17, 2013 Shelley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies, read-in-2013
I greatly enjoyed this zombie book. The play between zombie and human is an interesting twist. I'm looking forward to reading the next two books.
John L
Mar 31, 2012 John L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
May not be the "popular" zombie idea, but its a fresh twist, and makes them scarier! I enjoyed it immensely!
Helena Sheibler
Surprisingly clever.
Justine
An interesting find on the free books list in my iPhone iBooks bookstore. The zombies in this story differ from the "normal" stereotypical zombies we know of: mindless, slow, shuffling, rotting corpses intent only on devouring the living. There are some zombies like this in the book, but there are also "smart" zombies: ones who can talk and look normal, and ones who are fast and have super strength. The zombies are also able to regenerate after receiving wounds; they can grow appendages back and ...more
Rachel
Feb 04, 2016 Rachel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies
For The Love of Pete, PROOF-READ! What could have been a brilliantly original take on the zombie genre is completely ruined by the lack of a proof-reader. Run-on sentences, grammar mistakes, elementary spelling errors, and the author's annoying habit of either sticking commas in where they're not needed, or omitting them where they are, ruin what the silly, stilted dialogue (getting paid-per-word, perhaps), and ridiculously cartoonish characters did not. ...more
Janis
Sep 05, 2014 Janis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the chain mail idea! stealth wouldn't be an option but it certainly would work well against zombies. I picture this is how things would go for most people in the real world during a zombie outbreak - one step forward, ten back. You can easily put yourself into the shoes of the characters and really immerse in the book. I look forward to reading the next in the series.***Spoiler: smart zombies are far more frightening!
Stuart
Aug 12, 2012 Stuart rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's ironic that the author's note at the end says he made a dozen passes through the book looking for errors; large parts just don't make sense due to a mix of grammatical errors, typos and words that are nothing like what (I assume) were intended. That might be a function of the transfer to Kindle but it really messes up the flow of the book.

That aside, the premise of the book was pretty sound - zombies with more intelligence than the stereotypical "nnnnng, braaaains" foot-draggers - it's just
Joan
Aug 26, 2015 Joan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Totally different take on zombies which was quite interesting. The action and survival mode kicks in right from the get go and never lets up. The characters are very different from other zombie books I have read and you hope they get their act together before it's too late. I would recommend Mark Clodi gets added to your authors to read list and start with this book. Keep it up Mark, looking forward to the next book.
Bryanne
Jun 07, 2014 Bryanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most interesting takes on a zombie novel that I have ever read. If you want to read something that will have you second guessing everything you thought you knew about Zombie's than this is the book for you. Definately a lights on kind of read!
Michael
I enjoyed a different take on the Zombie creation and spread, the infected are scarier than some other versions and the theme of how they develop and spread seems well developed in this first book of the series.
Freedom
Aug 02, 2015 Freedom rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: why-did-i-bother
I hate to start ANY Book and not finish it, but I just could not force myself to continue reading past 25%. I like the idea of the story and I like seeing the Zombies from a more internal perspective but this...it was just too much. I felt like the writing didn't flow at all. I found myself having to reread several parts, which was almost like torture since the dialogue in this book is more than a little annoying. I only read a quarter of the book and the spelling errors were too much to ignore. ...more
Barb
Jan 10, 2016 Barb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is different than any other zombie novels i have ever read. I loved it, its one of my favorites and i would recommend it and the rest of the series highly.
April
Nov 17, 2013 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When the undead begin to think on their own and become almost invisible. The way this book unfolded was truly believable. This book was a new twist to the old stories but the twists were even believable. You take a million people attacked all at once by an unknown and see who lives and who dies, then you take the ones who die and give them a brain to think with and change their demeanor to act like they should when they are dead and wow you got this book. Yes there were a lot of typos and gramma ...more
Jenn Swanson
This had the potential to be an awesome story. The part about zombies developing further when feasting on humans was original, at least to me. However, there were a LOT of errors in this story that made it hard for me to get through. Normally I am a quick reader but I kept finding myself pausing to bitch about the errors instead of enjoying the story. At this time, I am still debating on whether I want to continue this series. The first book was free but the others cost cash and I'm not sure if ...more
Rachel MacNaught
It's a two star in writing, dragged down mainly by its abrupt and bounce around opening. Good premise and the story flows pretty well after the first half. Characters aren't worth noting, though I like the dynamic of the child zombies and vampire-esque take overall.
It built into something entertaining at the very least, though, so I would have landed on three stars if it wasn't such a strange progression and build to the meat of the story.
Alyssa
Jan 25, 2014 Alyssa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Should have kept this on the "will not finish" shelf
Conny
May 16, 2013 Conny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book as a free download and I liked it. It had a bit of a different twist on the zombie subject and I found it very interesting. It is the first book of three and I will be checking them out just to see this through to the end, and hopefully get all my questions answered. The book started out with a bang and it never really let up. I did like the characters and really hope they will make it.
Kyle
Jul 03, 2014 Kyle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the beginning of my absolute favorite zombie series. It is not the best example of perfect grammar or editing, but that aside Mr. Clodi's imagination is addictive. He has blended horror, zombies, action, and superheroes in a way I have never come across before. There is not a book in this series I have read less than twice.
Shannon
I liked it. It was a little hard to understand at times, misspelled words, he/ she mixes, ect. The concept of smart zombies eating to get smarter is scary. Also it seemed liked slot of kids were killed " on stage". I'm really looking forward to book 2.
Kilgallen
Feb 18, 2011 Kilgallen rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads, zombies
Overall I enjoyed this book. A clever twist on the plight of the Zombie. I like that the Zombies are not all creature but that they have real character depth as well.
Aug 08, 2013 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
They already have a name for intelligent zombies who are really fast, can regenerate when hurt, and communicate with their thoughts, they are called vampires.
Shelly Graham
Aug 03, 2013 Shelly Graham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love zombie books, it's my small obsession. These books are awesome. I am obsessed with the story and can't get enough.
Terry Carr
Jun 29, 2014 Terry Carr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little different take on the zombie apocalypse. Smart zombies!
  • End Dayz (The Hitchhiker Strain, #0.5)
  • Perspectives (LZR-1143, #2.5)
  • The Unwashed Dead (Zombie Armageddon #1)
  • Gehenna (West of Hell #1)
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 502
  • The Secret Apocalypse (Secret Apocalypse, #1)
  • Plague Zone
  • Operation Z-Day (The Raven Falconer Chronicles, #1)
  • Trudge (Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse, #1)
  • Zombie Day Care (Impact, #1)
  • Dead: The Ugly Beginning (Dead, #1)
  • Necrophobia (Zombie Apocalypse #1)
  • The Sickness: Monte's Story (Rise of the Plague Series)
  • Among the Dead and Dying (Among the Masses Book 1)
  • Rise of the Horde
  • After (The Phoenix Curse, #1)
  • After the End
  • After Life

The Zombie Chronicles (10 books)
  • The Zombie Chronicles 2: Discovery