Start by marking “The Cobra's Heart (Penguin Great Journeys)” as Want to Read:
The Cobra's Heart (Penguin Great Journeys)

The Cobra's Heart (Penguin Great Journeys #20)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  14 reviews
One of the most brilliant journalists of the postwar world, Kapuscinski (born 1932) spent decades criss-crossing Africa, witnessing the horrors of a continent ravaged by imperialism and its aftershocks. Humane, evocative and magical, The Cobra's Heart makes the case for Kapuscinski as a great writer as well as a great journalist.
Published 2007 by Penguin UK

To ask other readers questions about The Cobra's Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cobra's Heart

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara KingsolverCry, the Beloved Country by Alan PatonKing Solomon's Mines by H. Rider HaggardHalf of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi AdichieDie Krallen des Löwen by Alexandra Fuller
Acacia Tree Cover Meme
14th out of 98 books — 10 voters
Snakes with Wings and Gold-digging Ants by HerodotusFrom The Meadows of Gold by Al-MasudiThe Customs of the Kingdoms of India by Marco PoloPiracy, Turtles and Flying Foxes by William DampierIn the Heart of the Amazon Forest by Henry Walter Bates
Penguin Great Journeys
19th out of 20 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Dylan
Made me want to have the balls to explore Africa.
Nirmal
This is the extract of the full book under Penguin's Great Journeys series.

Kapuscinski has described his experiences in Africa and his experiences are authentic and his information about the place and people is very insightful , something which has come by actually going in various inhospitable african terrains and facing extremely harsh conditions. It covers Ghana, Tanjania, Nigeria, Uganda.

It covers the events of late 50's and 60's when many african nations were getting independence from the
Kalika
A short extract from The shadow of the sun, it reminded me again how absolutely wonderful Kapuściński's writing is. How he can make everything come alive and put you right in there so that you feel the oppressive heat of the Saharan towns and shiver in the eerie darkness of the African nights.
He is one of my favourite ("The favourite", perhaps) non-fiction writer. And I promise myself that I will reread some of his books in the new year.
Ape
Bookcrossing review:

I really enjoyed this book, so it was quite frustrating that it is so short. I've added the book that these extracts are from to my wishlist to remind me to keep my eyes open for the full book.

This one is by a Polish writer, and is about some of his experiences in central Africa - mainly Ghana, Uganda and Tanzania during the 60s. This was a time when a lot of these countries were getting their independance, so there's quite a bit about that. Amin comes up in his own chapter
Nick
Loved this book. It is a little disjointed, due to the author writing for newspapers in his native Poland, but is provides a fascinating insight into the culture and experiences of African Nations going through the liberating, and for many ultimately failed, process of freedom from the colonial yoke in the 1960's. Its interesting to compare your own views and attitudes (ignorant though mine are) of these countries to that of the author, and the time he lived in. Great for those who like adventur ...more
Sue
This book is so descriptive, almost paints a picture as you read. I did find the stories/essays seemed unrelated but enjoyed it, despite finding it quite disturbing. I have read little about Africa before and the book was definitely an eye opener. As a Brit I particularly found the essay on Uganda interesting as I remember many Ugandans arriving in the UK at that time. I was a child then and had no idea of what they had endured having to leave the homes, work and loved ones.
Mikaela
The Third World is Kapusciniski's personal "beat". No one writes more effectively of the brutal contingencies, the hilarious and terrifying randomness of events, of the blithe, cruel anarchy of African countries in chaos. But at the same time no one conveys better that seductive allure of the fauna and flora of the continent, the captivating, tenacious fascination for the place that is always present despite the irritation and dismay.
Don
Small book of essays on Africa from the vantage point of a much-travelled European (Polish) writer. Can't say I encountered any challenging new insights into the 'African' - but a please to read small, well-crafted little pieces. The title essay, The Cobra's Hearet particularly exiciting....
Fiona Lane
This book gives a few insights in to Africa and the journey to independence. The writing was cleverly engaging considering the number of scenes of Africa covered in the small number of pages. I loved the vivid nature of his accounts.
Scott
more dark madness from the heart of africa - hard to believe he lived through all this.
I'd still recommend "Travels with Heroditus" unless you're really interested in Africa particularly. Much more entertaining.
Anna
It's just couple of chapters taken from Polish edition of "Ebony". Full edition of Ebony is recommended.
Emilie
Fantastic so far, really rekindling my desire to travel Africa!
Jo
Mar 21, 2008 Jo rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christina
An amazing writer. I loved this.
Megan
I wish I could give more than 5 stars
Diodorus Kyomya
Diodorus Kyomya marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Daren
Daren marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Paulfozz
Paulfozz marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Jenni Norey
Jenni Norey marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Bell.
Bell. marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Soffía
Soffía marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Elyza
Elyza marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Abhijith Rao
Abhijith Rao marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Ryszard Kapuściński debuted as a poet in Dziś i jutro at the age of 17 and has been a journalist, writer, and publicist. In 1964 he was appointed to the Polish Press Agency and began traveling around the developing world and reporting on wars, coups and revolutions in Asia, the Americas, and Europe; he lived through twenty-seven revolutions and coups, was jailed forty times, and survived four deat ...more
More about Ryszard Kapuściński...

Penguin Great Journeys (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Snakes with Wings and Gold-digging Ants
  • From The Meadows of Gold
  • The Customs of the Kingdoms of India
  • The Shipwrecked Men
  • Piracy, Turtles and Flying Foxes (Penguin Great Journeys)
  • Life On The Golden Horn (Penguin Great Journeys)
  • Hunt For The Southern Continent
  • Sold as a Slave (Penguin Great Journeys)
  • Jaguars and Electric Eels (Penguin Great Journeys)
  • To the Holy Shrines (Penguin Great Journeys)
The Shadow of the Sun The Emperor Travels with Herodotus Imperium Shah of Shahs