Start by marking “Risen” as Want to Read:

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  21 reviews
In the town of Anderson, the dead are returning to life. Not as shambling corpses, but hale and hearty--some would say, "better than ever." They are the Risen. The Risen want you to join them in resurrection, but have to die. PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED BY PINNACLE BOOKS, Kensington Publishing Corp., under the pseudonym of "J. Knight." Revised 2010, includes five shor ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published June 20th 2010 by Smashwords, Inc. (first published May 25th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Risen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Risen

Joanne Moyer
Do you know Seth? The people of Anderson do and that's not necessarily a good thing.
I started this book thinking it was more of a horror story but it isn't~ though some creepy stuff does happen ~ I can't even think about the cockroaches......
I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was well written and as creepy as it was in parts it was funny in others. Mr Strnad did a great job fleshing out his characters and the town of Anderson ~ I kept picturing Mayberry for some reason....maybe because
John Podlaski
Suppose you had an opportunity for a do-over in life...memories intact, no more illness, coma's, mental problems, handicaps, aches and pains - totally refurbished and pick-up right where you left off - would you do it? What if it required that you kill yourself first? What's the catch? Everybody in the town of Anderson seems to be doing it...

I don't read very many paranormal books and thought, at first, that "Risen" was a zombie book. However, after reading the first couple chapters and discove
I really enjoyed reading this creepy tale and have become a fast fan of this author. Several parts of this book have stuck with me for a long while after reading it. I don't think I'm going to think about cockroaches in the same way ever again. SHUDDER.
What I liked about this novel was that it managed to hold my interest clear through to the end. So many novels I pick up now days don’t. With Risen: A Supernatural Thriller, I struggled some with the slow beginning and there were a few areas where the pace lagged unnecessarily (and I started to skim), but once the action got started, I breezed straight through to the end. It managed to do what a good horror is supposed to do in my opinion—give me the heebie-jeebies and keep me guessing about wha ...more
Jodi Colpitts

Very good story. Dragged in few places, but was easy to remember who was who. Am looking forward to reading more from this author in the near future
Carrie Nelson
Not bad.

Different, but not in a bad way. Reminded me a bit of 'The Stepford Wives'. Interesting read. The roaches were really grooms though!
This book is fantastic and super creepy. I love when a book grabs my attention and I think about it all day and can't wait to pick it up again. This story would make a great movie!
Ava Bradley
Very unique premise
Kathy Lewis
After many, many unfinished free books for Kindle, I was skeptical. Very skeptical. But Wrong. Very wrong. This book was fabulous. First, the humor. I don't know if it was intentional but, in the first 5 chapters, I woke my husband up 3 times one night from laughing. Then the hook. I was hooked and couldn't stop reading. The story was absorbing and the characters real. I have to say I saw huge authors influencing this story. I also individual flair and potential. Can't wait to read another of Mr ...more
Death takes a holiday in a small town, but that isn't a good thing as Seth is behind it all. The writing was adequate, the characters fair, but the story was still quite engaging and enjoyable. My major criticism is the ending could have been much better for two reasons: the editors situation could have been written better with more impact, and a more complete understanding of Seth would have fleshed out the story more. Despite this, it was still a good read with an original idea.
Damien Richard
I picked up this book on a whim. It was an Amazon freebie, and I liked the cover. Even though the description didn't do much for me, I gave it a try anyways. I'm super glad I did.

Jan is an amazing storyteller and Risen is proof. The vivid description pulls you in, the characters are well thought out, they live and breath, and the plot will keep readers up until the wee hours of the night turning pages.

Jan Strnad has just gained a new fan.
Vince Colucci
I came into Risen not expecting much but to my delight Strnad has woven a town filled with dense characterisation and a well crafted story that zooms along. The added short stories are like an extra cherry on top of your birthday sundae added with a wink by the cute Friendly's waitress with the nice wiggle in her walk.
A supernatural tale set in a quiet little town where suddenly the dead don't stay that way for long. At midnight, when the church bell rings the newly dead become the risen. The sick are healed, the insane are sane, all it takes is the miracle of dying first and rising again... but just maybe... death was better.
I thought it was a great triller. The characters were built really well. The bad thing was that there were parts that were really slow. I didn't fly through it like I do most books. I only kept reading because I expected it to pick up and it did.
Great book! If you are looking for a good supernatural thriller, then this would be the book for you! The story drags in a few places but overall the pace is consistent.
Not half bad, death takes a holiday, no one dies, the dead come back. Fun read, all is good, until something strange (surprised?) bad occurs and things go south.
Creepy, and a bit drawn out towards the end, but a great finish! Didn't see it coming.
I really enjoyed this read! Unique tale on the zombie pathos.
Kathleen Jones
Enjoyed this book more then I thought I would.....
Great story! Creepy, yet laugh out loud funny at times.
A well done interesting tale.
N.L. Dufour
N.L. Dufour marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Bart marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Joyce marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Catrin Watkins
Catrin Watkins marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Deena Wilde
Deena Wilde marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
  • Graves' End: A Magical Thriller
  • Speed Dating with the Dead
  • Final Vector
  • The Foul Mouth and the Fanged Lady (The King Henry Tapes, #1)
  • Through the Cracks
  • Justice Incarnate (Shadows of Justice, #1)
  • Little Deadly Things
  • White Heaven Women
  • Plummet
  • Amanda's Eyes (A.J. Gregson)
  • Virtually True
  • The Number 121 to Pennsylvania and Others
  • My Sparkling Misfortune (The Lakeland Knight #1)
  • Wearing the Spider
  • Safely Buried
  • The Seventh Pillar (The Project, #3)
  • All for One
  • The 24th Letter (Sean O'Brien, #2)