Home (Home, #1)

Home (Home #1)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Lucas Reed is a Cleveland advertising executive who returns to his southern hometown to deal with the sudden death of his estranged homophobic father. There, he unexpectedly encounters Rogan James, the former high school bully and now local deputy chief of police who had once made Lucas's life miserable.

Reacquainted 12 years later, the two finally acknowledge a long held p...more
Published August 2010 by MLR Press

Promises by Marie SextonCrossing Borders by Z.A. MaxfieldSins of the Heart by Allison CassattaAll Play and No Work by Carol LynneDear Diary by Allison Cassatta
GayRomLit Retreat Authors-2011
24th out of 112 books — 63 voters
Hot Head by Damon SuedeThe Locker Room by Amy LaneCaught Running by Madeleine UrbanKeeping Promise Rock by Amy LaneA Fostered Love by Cameron Dane
Childhood Friends Become Gay Lovers
85th out of 164 books — 278 voters

More lists with this book...

DarienMoya
^^ONE OF THOSE!^^

Home is one of those books that I can’t tell if I really like it or I don’t like it at all. I found it interesting ad exciting, then it became predictable, it was sweet and then became corny. Everything you think is going to happen; does, and at times the dialogue became sort of robotic. All those things aside, it offers like-able qualities.

Lucas Reed is back in his hometown to bury his father who disowned him for being gay. It’s not a place he wants to be, to rehash memories h...more
Heather C
I won this book from a chat. I really enjoyed it even though it was over-the-top sappy. Rogan and Lucas made a lovely couple. The story involved their romance, a psycho stalker, and their hardships of living as a gay couple in a society that was not ready to accept. I really feel that their story is complete and I can't wait to see what characters will appear in the sequel.
J.P. Bowie
An excellent first novel from William Neale - a romantic story about two very disparate men who find love and forgiveness despite everything that's thrown at them, including a deranged character from their past. I enjoyed it very much.
Ebook Addict Reviews
William Neal is definitely an author to be on the lookout for. Home, his first novel, is a must read. Home is a hot mix of mystery and romance. Thoroughly enjoyable.

I have always loved a story where the characters had crushes on each other in high school and find each other later on in life. I am a hopeless romantic, what can I say? And William Neal delivers on everything I want in a romance with Home. Mr. Neale gave me a romance that I could believe in, although there was an immediate attractio...more
Elisa Ramblings
As the author himself says in the “about the author” section of this book, he is a strong believer in romance and as such he is presenting himself as a romance author. So, if the plot outside the romance was maybe overlooked, I think the reason is that William Neale was more aiming to the love story than anything else, and of course, you will never hear me saying that this is not a good thing, on the contrary, it’s very positive to me.

The romance in this story is so pushed, and the pink glasses...more
SueM
This novel is a decent debut from author William Neale. While the plot and characters certainly have potential, the final result was a little bland for me. Some scenes had the potential to really wring an emotional response from me but left me unmoved. Others scenes had the potential to be dramatically suspenseful but instead fizzled out quietly. Some problems the characters encountered were too easily solved for my liking and others were skimmed over without any resolution. I also felt that som...more
Deeze
This is a sweet easy read if your looking for something light.

That said this book just didn't do it for me I'm sorry to say. The ideas were just what I like to read about, but the execution was lacking. Everything was just too neat and tidy. The characters were flat and predictable, the dialog was, as someone previously said, robotic. The sex was predictable and the pillow talk was sweet to the point of sickly. The drama was over before it even began. There were times it felt like I was reading...more
Sadonna
Sep 27, 2011 Sadonna rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mm, pdf
Tyra Berger
This story starts with Rogan showing up at Lucas's fathers funeral, he has come to pay his respects but also wants to apologize to Lucas for the way that Rogan treated him through high school. Rogan invites Lucas back to his place for a drink and to try and explain why he treated him the way he did back then. Rogan has been in love with Lucas since the first time he saw him and like a lot of boys at that age doesn't know how to deal with those feelings and so he lashes out at Lucas, teasing him...more
Cindi
This was a nice story. It was over the top in sappy. There is instant forgiveness for a character who made another one's life hell in high school. Then this former bully admits to having been in love with the other one during the bully days. There is a crazy stalker, a slew of homophobes, accepting and not-so-accepting coworkers, a couple of misunderstandings that are resolved quickly, quite a bit of going back and forth from one location to another and then more forgiveness thrown in.

I felt th...more
Persephone
I love the idea of this novel: bully and bullied fall in love. However, i think they should have had more time discovering their feelings for each other. Especially the bullied guy Lucas. Once you come face to face with your old bully you don't immediately fall into bed with them! Thats my only fault with this book. The rest was pretty good. The stalker bit was a bit creepy though. Okay, very creepy which is why this book gets a 3. 1 star lost because of the unrealistic tone to it and another lo...more
Meggie
Hmm, what to say to this review...
The story is simple and doesn't really gives us something new, the plot is enjoyable and everthing is just to perfect. I couldn't really get into the feelings of main couple. But it was enjoyable but in long run it got boring because I just coudn't feel the written words of joy, love or even hurt.

If you like simple, easy going plots then this book is for you and I recommend it.
Neet
This is a hopelessly romantic story about Lucas Reed & Rogan James. Lucas was bullied ( not physically ) by Rogan while both were in high school. Lucas returns to the small town for his father's funeral and met by Lucas who not only apologizes for his bullying but admits a secret....he's gay and has been in love with Lucas all this time.Sit back and enjoy,this is a fantasy and just enjoyable to read.
Beck
This was pretty awful IMO ... these guys just wouldn't stop talking about their damn feelings ... it was gag-inducing sweet with corny to tip it over the edge into ack ... If you're in the mood for saccharine romance with touchy-feely chicks with dicks, this will satisfy your needs ... for me, I just gritted my teeth and endured it for the sake of m/m bingo.
Suzette
What can I say I adore William's writing style, characterizations and heart warming feel good stories!

I smiled as I devoured this novel and laughed and got all misty eyed. The characters are so real to life you could.picture them vividly.

A wonderful read that I will not only recommend to friends but will read again and again!
Cotilla
Why it is that in many novels when people talk they start with each other names every time? It really grits on my nerves.

Without the epilogue it would be a 4, with the epilogue a 3, there isn't 3.5 so a 4
OkayKim
3.75
It was cute!
Did some giggling when Rogan went to his first gay bar, but this is a type of romance one has to be "in the mood" to enjoy it.
Especially if you're craving sugar!
Mandi
This book was ok. I liked the main characters just fine, but I felt that they were overly dramatic. It was a sweet love story (though the 'obsessed stalker' part was a bit predictable).
Wendy ~M/M Junkie~
This was a good story. It was a new author for me and I will be a repeat customer. I was not a fan of the cover but the story more than made up for it.
Edina Rose
Good book. I like it, though I would have preferred the small town cop was not so wealthy. It would have made his choice harder, more romantic.
Kittykills
I just love William Neale's stories... haven't read one yet that I didn't put in my keeper shelf.
sad that there will not be more. RIP Mr. Neale
blub
I felt like I was viewing an LMN movie when reading this story. It was a sweet story and was also well detailed.
Lamar54
From bullied to friends to lovers in what... 5 days... not likely.
Daric Wolkenhauer
Predictable, preachy, preposterous ...yet sweet.
❧Gwen❤❦
3.5 Stars!
Sweet MCs!
  • Unexpected Guest
  • A Life Without You (Boston Boys, #1)
  • Detour (Something in Common, #1)
  • Tougher To Love (Jasper, #1)
  • For Gom's Sake (Scarcity Sanctuary,  #3)
  • A Promise Given (Promise, #2)
  • Into the Light (Clear Water Creek Chronicles, #1)
  • We Danced
  • All or Nothing (Taking the Odds, #3)
  • Artistic Pursuits (Bottled Up, #7)
  • Loving Lucas
  • Fireman's Carry (Carry Me #1)
  • Out of the Shadows
  • Talons of the Condor (Condor, #2)
  • Orgasmic Texas Dawn (Orgasmic Texas Dawn, #1)
  • Friday Night Jamie
  • A Deadly Game (A Nick Fallon Investigation, #1)
  • Voice For The Silent
4202238
William Neale lived in Cleveland, Ohio with his partner of over a decade. Relatively new to the world of contemporary m/m romance, he spent over thirty years as a successful corporate communications executive, ad man, and PR "spin doctor."

Knowing how to "make up the truth" prepared him well for his next career as an author. William made no apologies for the fact that his books and characters are o...more
More about William Neale...
Christmasing With You Hope (Home, #5) Son of a Ditch (Home, #2) Got Your Back (Got 10 Minutes? Series) Always Faithful (Home, #3)