Start by marking “The Tainos: Rise and Decline of the People Who Greeted Columbus” as Want to Read:
The Tainos: Rise and Decline of the People Who Greeted Columbus

The Tainos: Rise and Decline of the People Who Greeted Columbus

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  6 reviews
A noted archaeologist and anthropologist tells the story of the Tainos of the northern Caribbean islands, from their ancestry on the South American continent to their rapid decline after contact with the Spanish explorers.
Published July 28th 1993 by Yale University Press

To ask other readers questions about The Tainos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tainos

Seven
Very good history book to have.
John Lucy
The only thing that I like about this book is that it's briefly shown lying on the bed of the director character, Sebastian, in the movie "Even the Rain." That movie is an incredible representation of the opposing motives and concerns involved in any native vs. government relationship. We read about the Tainos and other natives who have been conquered or oppressed, or discriminated against like Puerto Ricans and Cubans etc. are today, and feel that they should be lifted up; yet the way we live o ...more
Tara Chevrestt
The first half of this was very informative and interesting. It talks about the Taino way of life and culture. How they lived, what they ate, strange religious customs, gods, and even tools they used. The last half grew dull. It went on too much about the pottery to hold my interest. I do, however, recommend it for anyone that wants to know more about the Tainos. Very little is really known about them and I found it helpful in that aspect.
Adornable
A terrific study of the original people who lived on the island of Puerto Rico. It was listed in the bibliography of a sci-fi/fantasy book by Orson Scott Card "Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus," which is also a terrific book.
Saritza
Great information on the taino race. Helped me with research for novel which I have YET to finish.
Nanu
Dry read, but interesting if you are into the topic... :)
Grace Turner
Grace Turner marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Matthew Maycock
Matthew Maycock marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Grisel Aponte-Austin
Grisel Aponte-Austin marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Nadian
Nadian is currently reading it
Oct 26, 2014
Nay Looby
Nay Looby marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Kenneth Shareef
Kenneth Shareef marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Neverdust
Neverdust marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Myrna Forrester
Myrna Forrester marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Ed Burgos
Ed Burgos is currently reading it
Sep 15, 2014
LMR
LMR marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Francois Gaudin
Francois Gaudin marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Theresa
Theresa is currently reading it
Aug 16, 2014
Edwin Graham
Edwin Graham marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Matt Stafford
Matt Stafford marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Victor
Victor marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Migrations In Prehistory: Inferring Population Movement From Cultural Remains Prehistory in Haiti: A Study in Method The Tainos: Rise and Decline of the People Who Greeted Columbus A Survey Of Indian River Archeology, Florida Introduction to Prehistory: A Systematic Approach