The Tainos: Rise and Decline of the People Who Greeted Columbus

The Tainos: Rise and Decline of the People Who Greeted Columbus

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  6 reviews
A noted archaeologist and anthropologist tells the story of the Tainos of the northern Caribbean islands, from their ancestry on the South American continent to their rapid decline after contact with the Spanish explorers.
Published July 28th 1993 by Yale University Press

Seven
Very good history book to have.
John Lucy
The only thing that I like about this book is that it's briefly shown lying on the bed of the director character, Sebastian, in the movie "Even the Rain." That movie is an incredible representation of the opposing motives and concerns involved in any native vs. government relationship. We read about the Tainos and other natives who have been conquered or oppressed, or discriminated against like Puerto Ricans and Cubans etc. are today, and feel that they should be lifted up; yet the way we live o...more
Tara Chevrestt
The first half of this was very informative and interesting. It talks about the Taino way of life and culture. How they lived, what they ate, strange religious customs, gods, and even tools they used. The last half grew dull. It went on too much about the pottery to hold my interest. I do, however, recommend it for anyone that wants to know more about the Tainos. Very little is really known about them and I found it helpful in that aspect.
Adornable
A terrific study of the original people who lived on the island of Puerto Rico. It was listed in the bibliography of a sci-fi/fantasy book by Orson Scott Card "Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus," which is also a terrific book.
Saritza
Great information on the taino race. Helped me with research for novel which I have YET to finish.
Nanu
Dry read, but interesting if you are into the topic... :)
Tom Dillon
Tom Dillon marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Jason Jowett
Jason Jowett marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Judith Nel
Judith Nel marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Alana
Alana is currently reading it
Feb 08, 2014
Evgenia
Evgenia marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
cheryl
cheryl marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Isa Río
Isa Río marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Jfpoeill
Jfpoeill marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
Talya
Talya marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
Vivian
Vivian marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2013
Korri
Korri marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2013
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2013
Prtwin2001
Prtwin2001 marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2013
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2013
Synetra Neechy neech
Synetra Neechy neech marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2013
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2013
Tanay
Tanay marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013
Glen
Glen marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2013
شبح
شبح marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Migrations In Prehistory: Inferring Population Movement From Cultural Remains Prehistory in Haiti: A Study in Method The Tainos: Rise and Decline of the People Who Greeted Columbus A Survey Of Indian River Archeology, Florida Introduction to Prehistory: A Systematic Approach