Start by marking “New Spring (Wheel of Time, #0)” as Want to Read:
New Spring (Wheel of Time, #0)

New Spring (The Wheel of Time 0)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  53,472 Ratings  ·  1,137 Reviews
The city of Canluum lies close to the scarred and desolate wastes of the Blight, a walled haven from the dangers away to the north, and a refuge from the ill works of those who serve the Dark One. Or so it is said.

The city that greets Al’Lan Mandragoran, exiled king of Malkier and the finest swordsman of his generation, is instead one that is rife with rumour and the whisp
Published July 29th 2011 by Tor (first published January 6th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about New Spring, please sign up.

Emma As it's a prequel to the main story, you won't fully understand as many of the references and you'll get less out of it if you read it first. In my…moreAs it's a prequel to the main story, you won't fully understand as many of the references and you'll get less out of it if you read it first. In my opinion, read at least the first few books before you read this one to fully appreciate the back story and more minor characters involved.(less)
Aaron Toponce Not really. A Song of Ice and Fire is really a political fantasy with very little thought towards the magic system. The Wheel of Time on the other…moreNot really. A Song of Ice and Fire is really a political fantasy with very little thought towards the magic system. The Wheel of Time on the other hand has a very robust magic system balanced well with politics, conflict, and world development.

Another large difference between the authors, is their attitudes towards sex. George R. R. Martin is a dirty old man, writing in graphic detail about the female anatomy and monthly cycles, pedophilia, necrophilia, whoredoms, rape, and incest. Robert Jordan, however, keeps the sex tasteful. While lesbians ("pillow friends") are in the book, the most graphic it gets is a kiss, knowing one is naked without description, or "folding her arms under her breasts".

While both are high fantasies, they're very different in execution.(less)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

This book gave me FEELINGS . . .

description

. . . few of them good.

For the first time in a WoT reread, I found myself absolutely hating the content.

HATING.

The only reason NEW SPRING didn't get one-starred is b/c there are more than a few poignant Lan moments. But without those . . . *flares nostrils*

The first problem is that the front half to two-thirds of the book is slow as molasses.

Noooooothiiiiiing haaaaaappennnnns.

Well, okay, something happens--Gitara, the same Aes Sedai w
Choko
Nov 01, 2016 Choko rated it really liked it
*** 4 ***

A Buddy Read with the best Fantasy Fans at BB&B!!!

A very nice recap of how the search for The Dragon Reborn started and the two Aes Seday who sacrificed much and dedicated their lives to finding and keeping him safe in order to live and be at his strongest at the time of the Last Battle between The Light and the Dark Lord. We also got to see a young Lan , who is wonderful even as a pup. A nice addition, but not an essential one.

I wish you all Happy Reading and find time to enjoy th
Robin (Bridge Four)
1.5 I’m Sorry To Do This Stars

description

Okay hear me out….I totally admit the Robert Jordan has a fantastic and complex world full of intricately detailed world building with cultures, religions and landscaping. But if it takes 60% for your books to go anywhere and you destroy beloved characters along the way I’m totally going to have a problem.

So this is supposed to be an origin story or a prequel to the Wheel of Time series set a little less than 20 years before Eye of the World. The problem with preque
Ryan
Oct 14, 2008 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I feel like reading fantasy is just a waste of time. If nothing else, the themes are often distressingly adolescent and no matter how many times I read about slaying dragons, it's pretty unlikely that I'll ever slay a dragon in real life.

Perhaps, for me, the real attraction that sword & sorcery offers is an escape into a world of imagination. It sounds like a corny movie trailer (I'm sure everyone can hear the movie trailer voice when reading "esCApe... into a worlld ... of imagiNA
Gavin
Nov 02, 2016 Gavin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This WoT prequel is the story of how Moiraine and Lan first met and of how Moiraine and Siuan got caught up in all the Dragon Reborn related intrigue. It is set 20 years before the happenings in Eye of the World.

The story was actually better than I was expecting it to be. It was told mostly from Moiraine's POV, but we also got a number of chapters from Lan's POV. It gave both characters plenty of time to shine and I definitely like both of them a lot more after reading their adventures in this
Phrynne
Aug 21, 2015 Phrynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read and loved the entire Wheel of Time series so it was fun to read the prequel to the whole affair. I really enjoyed finding out how Moiraine and Lan met and how he became her warder. I also liked all the information about the White Tower and the Aes Sedai. There is nothing in this book that you have to know before enjoying the rest of the series but it is a nice little piece of background information. Loved the ending - it almost made me go and pick up Book 1 to read again.
Evgeny
Jul 31, 2012 Evgeny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
The plot of this book can be summarized in the following two sentences. Moiraine and Siuan Sanche learn a great secret while still being Accepted in the White Tower. Moiraine meets Lan. There are much more than these events in the prequel and some more familiar faces appear than the ones I already mentioned.

I gave this book 5 stars initially, but I was sure I would lower the rating to 4 stars after I read this tale for the second time. To my complete surprise I realized that is still worth 5 sta
Nicole
Jun 25, 2007 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fiction lovers with stamina
I read the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan because both my husband and best friend had read them. The best friend highly encouraged me to read the books - my husband warned me off.

The warning is not because the books are bad. The first few, actually, are very good. Great character development, interesting universe for those who love fantasy novels.

The warning is because these books never, ever, ever are going to end. Ever.

There are so far 12 books (including a prequel that came out somewhe
New Spring is technically a prequel to the Wheel of Time series (it's about events that occurred approximately 20 years before The Eye of the World) but I was advised to read it after book 10, Crossroads of Twilight, to avoid accidental spoilers. I'm not sure there were any major spoilers hidden in here but it definitely gives you an idea about which of the Aes Sedai can and can't be trusted so I can see why I was told to hold off on reading it until this point in the series.

I'm really torn abou
OhWell
Nov 08, 2016 OhWell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, magic, wot
A pleasure. I enjoyed it more than the later books in the main series, way more than Crossroads of Twilight for example.
Doğan
Feb 28, 2017 Doğan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
5 / 3.5
aPriL does feral sometimes
Prequel 'New Spring', a short book written after book ten in the 'Wheel of Time' series, is the story of how Moiraine Damodred and Siuan Sanche became Aes Sedai. It also relates how Lan Mandragoran met Moiraine. It explains why they decided to find the 'Dragon Reborn.' I have finished the entire series, and I can say reading this book out of order will not hurt a reader's enjoyment of the main series at all. It does fill in some history. However, the reader will not find this novel as exciting a ...more
Angie
Jan 16, 2011 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who have read at least the first few books of the WoT series
Roberta Jayne
Feb 21, 2017 Roberta Jayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
3.5 stars. Thought I'd better read this prequel before finishing the last book in the Wheel Of Time series, especially because I feel like it's important to know how Moiraine, Lan and Siuan started out and how they met etc.

This was a great story overall, helped mostly by the fact that Siuan and Moiraine are brilliant characters through and through. I was really surprised that we went as far back to see them being raised to Aes Sedai. Would've loved to see more of The White Tower a bit later up t
Dawn
Jul 13, 2009 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2012
I'm writing my review after having read this book for the third time. This was the first time I read it before reading any of the other books in the series (I couldn't wait until January, I had to start getting my WoT on now, so I'm doing a complete re-read).

I just have to say... I feels so good to hop back into this world. This isn't my favorite of the series by far, but I feel like it's a great addition nonetheless. For new readers you should definitely save this until later in the series eve
Scott  Hitchcock
Jan 01, 2016 Scott Hitchcock rated it liked it
Shelves: epic-fantasy
There are no beginnings or endings in the wheel of time but this is an ending. The prequel was the only book I hadn't read (listened to). It was enjoyable. Kramer and Reading are just two of the best narrators out there. The book itself while classic wheel of time was disappointing. There wasn't anything new of note and the first 60% was all white tower not Moraine and Lan off figuring out things about the Dragon.

If you're a WOT fan, and I am but see it's many flaws keeping it from being the GO
Emerson
Oct 27, 2016 Emerson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lidos-em-2016
New Spring se passa durante o final da Guerra dos Aiel, cerca de 20 anos antes de O Olho do Mundo. O livro mostra Moiraine e Siuan como aceitas enquanto estudavam na Torre Branca para se tornarem Aes Sedai. Mesmo quando aceitas, as duas já haviam iniciado a busca pela criança profetizada, o Dragão Renascido. O livro também trás alguns capítulos sobre Lan, futuro guardião de Moiraine.

Essa prequel me agradou bastante. O livro nos trás bastante informação sobre as Aes Sedai e a Torre Branca, nos mo
Alex Ristea
Jan 06, 2013 Alex Ristea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This prequel wasn't about what I thought it was going to be, but it managed to be a fun read.

My favourite part was seeing Moiraine and Siuan in their younger years, acting as only children can. A perfect contrast to the stern Aes Sedai we've come to love.

I'm not sure how important the events in this book were to the overall series, but for character development I give it an A+.

Eduarda
Nov 19, 2014 Eduarda rated it it was amazing
Livro com POV da Moiraine? Não tem como ser ruim!
Depois desse livro passei a gostar ainda mais da Ajah Azul. Agora não tenho mais dúvida sobre qual Ajah eu seria.
E que venha o The Fires of Heaven! Torcendo pra que a Moiraine apareça mais. Senti falta dela no TSR.
Claudia
Jan 14, 2014 Claudia rated it it was amazing
If this, lets say, prelude made me give it 5 stars, I'm really anxious to see what's hidden in the next 14 volumes...
Maria Dimitrova
Nov 04, 2016 Maria Dimitrova rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buddy Read with the WoT fans of BB&B.

This is a hard book to review. It's recommended to read this book after Winter's Heart or Crossroads of Twilight because it gives to much spoilers otherwise. It's what I did and the fact that I read it after reading 10 books of the series has coloured the way I look at things. In a way this scratches an itch I didn't even know about, because it gives a look at life in the White Tower. It's fascinating and depressing at the same time. Depressing because
Κωνσταντίνος Τσουρέκης
"Only a fool believe women less dangerous than men, but women often seemed to think men fools when it came to women." Μια από τις καλύτερες φράσεις του βιβλίου. Με έκανε να θυμηθώ μια ομιλία για fantasy και φεμινισμό όπου ο Robert Jordan θεωρήθηκε εχθρός του φεμινισμού. Τέτοιες φράσεις διαψεύδουν αυτή την άποψη.

Το Νew Spring είναι το βιβλίο όπου ουσιαστικά μαθαίνουμε την ιστορία της νεαρής Moiraine Damodred και του Lan Al'Madragoran. Τον τρόπο που το αγαπημένο ζευγάρι του Wheel of time ενώθηκε
Matt Brady
When Memory of Light, the long awaited final volume of The Wheel of Time series, twenty years or more in the making, was finally released earlier this year it obviously grabbed my attention. It’s been a good long time since I’d been truly invested in this series, and my enthusiasm for it had long since waned. I hadn’t read any Wheel of Time since Jordan’s last novel before his untimely death and Brandon Sanderson was brought in to finish the series. I didn’t quit or anything like that, I just dr ...more
Pedro António
Decided to wait until I was done with Towers of Midnight before picking this one up and... on one hand I'm glad I waited this long to finally read the prequel, but on the other I guess I expected more than I ended up being given.

It was really nice to see so many characters I've come to known and love/hate in their earlier years, but that ended up backfiring as I feel like a lot more could've been done with the vast majority of them given how long the novel actually is. Once the novelty factor is
Paul
Dec 20, 2012 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am rereading the Wheel of Time series one last time in preparation for the last book (I'm way behind). I decided to start with New Spring, the prequel, and read in straight chronological order.

I did not like the book as much as I remembered, mainly because Lan is an IDIOT. Jordan's worst features as a writer, to me, were his persistent "battle of the sexes" bullshit, where nearly all women are shrews convinced that all men are idiots; and his horrific caricature artificial cultures. Fortunatel
Chelsea
Sep 30, 2016 Chelsea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 STARS

There were times when this was a little slow, but the backstory behind the relationship between Moraine and Lan was quite helpful. The main focus of this book was more on the politics of the White Tower and Moraine rather than Lan. I learned quite a bit about the Aes Sedai and am curious to see if it will help clarify things as I progress with the Wheel of Time series.
Mike Coville
Feb 03, 2016 Mike Coville rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice telling of the back story of Lan and Moiraine. After having read all 14 WoT books, and experiencing the sadness of knowing it was all over, it was fun to see these characters enjoying life again. I would recommend this for anyone that has read the WoT series.
Dux
Aug 13, 2015 Dux rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
“Change what you can if it needs
changing, but learn to live with what you can’t change.”

I wonder if the reason why I enjoyed this book as much as I did was because I read it right after the dreadful 9th and 10th books in the series that it must have made me feel refreshed. The amount of emotions and proportions of entertainment in these sole 350 pages exceed anything in books 9 and 10 combined. I LAUGHED! I felt EXCITEMENT! AMUSEMENT! CURIOUSITY! SUSPICION AND SUSPENSE! SINCE WHEN WERE THESE E
Kaila
An important question to answer before beginning the Wheel of Time series is when you want to read this prequel. It takes place before The Eye of the World, book 1, but was written after Crossroads of Twilight, book 10. It contains spoilers for up through book 6 or so. If it is the first book of the series you read, a lot of things will be ruined, and it would be confusing, as it assumes the reader is familiar with the world.

DO NOT READ THIS BOOK FIRST. This review contains minor spoilers up thr
Mark
Apr 15, 2010 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review stands for the entire Wheel of Time series. Note that this prequel deserves to be read approximately in order of release, as one is reading the orginal series, so as not to provide any spoilers.

The Wheel of Time appears to be in good hands with Brandon Sanderson penning the last Book (in three parts) of Robert Jordan's epic.

Although I have been reading these books for as long as I have been reading Katherine Kerr's Deverry novels, and will be reading them at least until 2012 when the
  • Debt of Bones (Sword of Truth, #0.5)
  • Dust of Dreams (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #9)
  • Straken (High Druid of Shannara, #3)
  • Silverthorn (The Riftwar Saga, #3)
  • Traitor's Knot (Wars of Light & Shadow #7; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #4)
  • Elven Star (The Death Gate Cycle, #2)
  • The Lair of Bones (Runelords, #4)
  • Legends
  • The Chaos Balance (The Saga of Recluce #7)
  • Prophecy: Child of Earth (Symphony of Ages, #2)

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to
More about Robert Jordan...

The Wheel of Time (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time, #6)
  • A Crown of Swords (Wheel of Time, #7)
  • The Path of Daggers (Wheel of Time, #8)
  • Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, #9)
  • Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, #10)

“He was swimming in a sea of other people’s expectations. Men had drowned in seas like that.” 188 likes
“The only way was forward, whatever lay at the end.” 21 likes