Start by marking “Navigator” as Want to Read:
Navigator

Navigator (Time's Tapestry #3)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  294 ratings  ·  17 reviews
As William the Conqueror's men attempt to stamp out the flames of rebellion, a prophecy is uttered. A bedraggled woman in a ruined chapel speaks of civilizations in conflict, armed by the engines of God... And that prophecy proves to be true as the fearsome war between Christianity and Islam leaves its mark across the land. In Spain, a rogue priest dreams of the final defe ...more
Published July 26th 2007 by Gollancz (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Navigator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Navigator

Richard Bush
This series just gets better.
Hanna
Devoured in less than 24 hours. I predicted that this book would get more interesting (to me) once we got to a time period I was actually familiar with, and I was right. I especially appreciate that other glimpses of time meddling are starting to appear. Ordering the last book in the series immediately!

(Yes, there continue to be horrible deaths.)
Betsey
3 down 1 to go. This was much more boring and more gory than the first 2. Baxter does have a love for making his readers flinch. As the series has progressed, he has lengthened the sections for each time period. Unfortunately, he hasn't made the characters any more compelling than when the sections were just 100 pages.
what I realized in this book was that this is yet another one of Baxter's "etudes". he has taken the idea of prophecies and is spinning out the possibilities. First book - what ha
Dennis
Historical fiction, set mainly in Spain up to the time of the Spanish Inquisition. Shows that the old time Christians were just as murderous as the present day radical Muslims.
Mike
Sorry, I could not finish reading this one. Too convoluted, unbelievable, and I just don't care how it ends.
Rick
After part 2, I was thoroughly hooked and jumped right into part 3. Nearly all of this takes place in Spain when the Islamic Moor and the European Christians battled for control. The time travel element really comes to the front in this one. My favorite of the 4 books. Somehow, Baxter can combine a lot of historical detail with a catchy plot and not dumb it down. And in all 4 books - where history almost always shows the men - he develops great female characters who make a good portion of the de ...more
Mike Smith
This is book 3 of the Time's Tapestry series. In some ways, the series is becoming more improbable. Characters living in the middle ages seem too ready to accept that people from the future are meddling with history and trying to change it. Not only that, there are multiple future factions trying to create different futures. Still, the depiction of medieval Spain is interesting, including the still-pervasive Roman relics.

Not the best thing I've ever read from Baxter, but still readable.
Ben Chenoweth
While still a good historical novel, I felt the ending in this one let down the development. Still, the idea of people trying to change the past (and apparently even succeeding on occasion!) makes for a good story. I hope the last book in the series reveals more about the mysterious Weaver!
Steve James
After the first tow books I found this one too complex and I kept loosing the plot. The story was fragmented. I found myself getting annoyed from the number of times something I had read was repeated a number of times. It was unnecessary and made the book longer than it needed to be.
Brett Kadrie
Meh. Previous books held my attention. This one suffers seriously from one dimensional characters that only server the purpose of keeping the plot moving.

I'll read the final book but wish the series had kept my interest like the previous two books.
Jan Cerny
Děj je místy zbytečně zdlouhavý a nafouknutý o nepodstatné věci. Na druhou stranu se díky tomu kniha dobře čte po večerech, kdy je člověk unavený. Ve výsledku je lepší než druhý díl, slabší než první díl - uvidíme, jaký bude poslední.
Martinxo
Ohhh, shame about this book, I really enjoyed the first two in the series but i started losing interest in this one early on. Finally abandoned the novel mid-way through, the story was dull, the characters wooden. Oh well.
Aaron
Weakest book of the series. Feels like S.Baxter is running out of puff and the plots tend to have the same feel as the previous 2 books. Interesting period of time to be reading about tho.
Tal
covering 622 - 1492, Stephen Baxter continues his British history under the guise of people researching their ancestral prophecies and helping to fulfill them.

Joel Sassone
Pretty much more of the same stuff as the previous two books, this time set in 15th-century Spain... 3 1/2 stars out of 5.
Dale
Baxter really starts pulling all the pieces together in this one - a good extension of the series.
lewis king
A quite fascinating read.
Fulvio
Fulvio is currently reading it
Mar 28, 2015
Luciana
Luciana marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Tom Barnard
Tom Barnard marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
  • Roughneck
  • Alternate Generals II
  • Cowboy Angels
  • 1635: The Eastern Front (Assiti Shards, #10)
  • Firstborn (A Time Odyssey, #3)
  • Mindbridge (Collector's Edition)
  • Dark Light (Engines Of Light, #2)
  • Kill Your Idols: A New Generation of Rock Writers Reconsiders the Classics
  • Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl (Literature Guide: Grades 4-8)
  • 1862
  • Stamping Butterflies
  • The Stone Dogs (Draka, #3)
  • Before Columbus: The Americas of 1491
  • Other Earths
  • Cuba Libre
  • Sailing Bright Eternity (Galactic Center, #6)
20295
Stephen Baxter is a trained engineer with degrees from Cambridge (mathematics) and Southampton Universities (doctorate in aeroengineering research). Baxter is the winner of the British Science Fiction Award and the Locus Award, as well as being a nominee for an Arthur C. Clarke Award, most recently for Manifold: Time. His novel Voyage won the Sidewise Award for Best Alternate History Novel of the ...more
More about Stephen Baxter...

Time's Tapestry (4 books)
  • Emperor (Time's Tapestry, #1)
  • Conqueror (Time's Tapestry, #2)
  • Weaver
Manifold: Time (Manifold, #1) The Time Ships Manifold: Space Flood (Flood, #1) Ring (Xeelee Sequence, #4)