Start by marking “Navigator” as Want to Read:
Navigator

Navigator (Time's Tapestry #3)

Stephen Baxter's new series is full of page-turning action, intriguing mystery and awe-inspiring scientific speculation. Full of evocative historical detail and characters who jump of the page this is history lived by people whose future is not yet locked as our past. Navigator is the third of the series, and delves deep into the discovery of America.
Published July 26th 2007 by Gollancz (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Navigator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Navigator

Richard Bush
Feb 23, 2013 Richard Bush rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series just gets better.
Vít
Třetí díl tetralogie Plátno tkané časem opouští středověkou Anglii a přivádí nás do Španělska v době reconquisty. A jako v předchozích dílech, i tady hraje podstatnou roli proroctví - tentokrát dokonce proroctví dvě, a to proroctví protikladná, a každé z nich se skupinou odhodlaných zastánců.
Budoucnost Evropy je tak na vážkách, vyšle Isabela Kastilská Kryštofa Kolumba na západ, nebo ho naopak jmenuje generálem armády, která zamíří na východ? Dojde k objevení Ameriky, nebo vypukne ničivá válka s
Betsey
Nov 10, 2008 Betsey rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, historical
3 down 1 to go. This was much more boring and more gory than the first 2. Baxter does have a love for making his readers flinch. As the series has progressed, he has lengthened the sections for each time period. Unfortunately, he hasn't made the characters any more compelling than when the sections were just 100 pages.
what I realized in this book was that this is yet another one of Baxter's "etudes". he has taken the idea of prophecies and is spinning out the possibilities. First book - what ha
Rick
Oct 18, 2008 Rick rated it it was amazing
After part 2, I was thoroughly hooked and jumped right into part 3. Nearly all of this takes place in Spain when the Islamic Moor and the European Christians battled for control. The time travel element really comes to the front in this one. My favorite of the 4 books. Somehow, Baxter can combine a lot of historical detail with a catchy plot and not dumb it down. And in all 4 books - where history almost always shows the men - he develops great female characters who make a good portion of the de ...more
Mike Smith
Jul 29, 2011 Mike Smith rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This is book 3 of the Time's Tapestry series. In some ways, the series is becoming more improbable. Characters living in the middle ages seem too ready to accept that people from the future are meddling with history and trying to change it. Not only that, there are multiple future factions trying to create different futures. Still, the depiction of medieval Spain is interesting, including the still-pervasive Roman relics.

Not the best thing I've ever read from Baxter, but still readable.
J.L.
Mar 09, 2014 J.L. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: march-2014
Devoured in less than 24 hours. I predicted that this book would get more interesting (to me) once we got to a time period I was actually familiar with, and I was right. I especially appreciate that other glimpses of time meddling are starting to appear. Ordering the last book in the series immediately!

(Yes, there continue to be horrible deaths.)
Brett Kadrie
Oct 28, 2008 Brett Kadrie rated it it was ok
Meh. Previous books held my attention. This one suffers seriously from one dimensional characters that only server the purpose of keeping the plot moving.

I'll read the final book but wish the series had kept my interest like the previous two books.
Jan Cerny
Děj je místy zbytečně zdlouhavý a nafouknutý o nepodstatné věci. Na druhou stranu se díky tomu kniha dobře čte po večerech, kdy je člověk unavený. Ve výsledku je lepší než druhý díl, slabší než první díl - uvidíme, jaký bude poslední.
Martinxo
Mar 21, 2010 Martinxo rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned, fiction, 2010
Ohhh, shame about this book, I really enjoyed the first two in the series but i started losing interest in this one early on. Finally abandoned the novel mid-way through, the story was dull, the characters wooden. Oh well.
Ben Chenoweth
Aug 23, 2011 Ben Chenoweth rated it liked it
While still a good historical novel, I felt the ending in this one let down the development. Still, the idea of people trying to change the past (and apparently even succeeding on occasion!) makes for a good story. I hope the last book in the series reveals more about the mysterious Weaver!
Steve James
Aug 30, 2012 Steve James rated it liked it
After the first tow books I found this one too complex and I kept loosing the plot. The story was fragmented. I found myself getting annoyed from the number of times something I had read was repeated a number of times. It was unnecessary and made the book longer than it needed to be.
lewis king
Sep 03, 2010 lewis king rated it really liked it
A quite fascinating read.
Dennis
Sep 29, 2014 Dennis rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
Historical fiction, set mainly in Spain up to the time of the Spanish Inquisition. Shows that the old time Christians were just as murderous as the present day radical Muslims.
Aaron
May 20, 2013 Aaron rated it liked it
Weakest book of the series. Feels like S.Baxter is running out of puff and the plots tend to have the same feel as the previous 2 books. Interesting period of time to be reading about tho.
adrianoates
Jan 27, 2016 adrianoates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent mixture of real and imagined history of al-Andalus
Tal
Aug 06, 2008 Tal rated it liked it
covering 622 - 1492, Stephen Baxter continues his British history under the guise of people researching their ancestral prophecies and helping to fulfill them.

Joel Sassone
Pretty much more of the same stuff as the previous two books, this time set in 15th-century Spain... 3 1/2 stars out of 5.
Mike
Sep 03, 2014 Mike rated it did not like it
Sorry, I could not finish reading this one. Too convoluted, unbelievable, and I just don't care how it ends.
Ian
Ian rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Tim Chaplin
Tim Chaplin rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2010
Suzanne Conboy-Hill
Suzanne Conboy-Hill rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2013
Simon
Simon rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Reinhold
Reinhold rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2017
Ali Muhammad
Ali Muhammad rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2012
Kirsty
Kirsty rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2010
Neil
Neil rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2012
Phil Jarvis
Phil Jarvis rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2012
Jeroen Broekhuijsen
Jeroen Broekhuijsen rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2013
Wood Hughes
Wood Hughes rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2015
Benny
Benny rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2013
  • Roughneck
  • Alternate Generals II
  • Kill Your Idols: A New Generation of Rock Writers Reconsiders the Classics
  • Firstborn (A Time Odyssey, #3)
  • 1635: The Eastern Front (Assiti Shards, #10)
  • Mindbridge (Collector's Edition)
  • Cowboy Angels
  • Stamping Butterflies
  • The Stone Dogs (Draka, #3)
  • Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl (Literature Guide: Grades 4-8)
  • 1862
  • Before Columbus: The Americas of 1491
  • The Mammoth Book of Alternate Histories
20295
Stephen Baxter is a trained engineer with degrees from Cambridge (mathematics) and Southampton Universities (doctorate in aeroengineering research). Baxter is the winner of the British Science Fiction Award and the Locus Award, as well as being a nominee for an Arthur C. Clarke Award, most recently for Manifold: Time. His novel Voyage won the Sidewise Award for Best Alternate History Novel of the ...more
More about Stephen Baxter...

Time's Tapestry (4 books)
  • Emperor (Time's Tapestry, #1)
  • Conqueror (Time's Tapestry, #2)
  • Weaver