Saying Yes: In Defense of Drug Use

Saying Yes: In Defense of Drug Use

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Jacob Sullum goes beyond debate on legalization or the proper way to win the "war on drugs," to the heart of a social and individual defense of using drugs.

Saying Yes argues that the all-or-nothing thinking that has long dominated discussions of illegal drug use should give way to a wiser, subtler approach. Exemplified by the tradition of moderate drinking, such an approa...more
Published May 12th 2003 by Tarcher (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Saying Yes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saying Yes

Daniel Bastian
"Humans have brains that are built to work on anecdote rather than real data." [Jeffrey P. Utz, MD]

Man's relationship with drugs has been long and turbulent. Since first contact they've been consumed, smoked, inhaled and injected by humans for everything from their mood-altering effects to their analgesic properties. Over the years and across many cultures, the legal status of nicotine, ethanol (the ingredient that supplies alcohol its intoxicating highs), cannabis and a congeries of other psych...more
Michael Thomas Angelo
Before the advent of Harm Reduction really came about in the public arena, there was this book which I read in the mid 1990s. It's argument is essentially along the same lines, that drug use is not a criminal act to be prosecuted and that users have rights and the ability to manage their own use without fear of stigma.
Dolly
Amazingly persuasive! Very good points, aimed at people who accept alcohol. The argument for temperance is organized in a way I bet some people would find neat or helpful, but after a while it becomes apparent this guy knows a lot more about certain drugs than others, and the fire in his argument slows to a flicker... One thing about this book versus another regarding today's drug laws is this has minimal stats and numbers and numbers and percents and cases and numbers like so many others are sa...more
Dan Sharber
awesome book. well worth the read. the author first tackles the myths of instant addiction, insanity etc etc that have been associated with illegal drugs throughout history. he also shows how most drug users are well adjusted and successful people and not the down and out junkies we are told to expect. using all this he makes a strong case for individual responsibility and general moderation in drugs and really the idea of use without apology. whether you are pro legalization or on the fence and...more
Sebastian Stevenson
Stellar read. Avoid false prophets; avoid voodoo pharmacology.
Stefanie
Sullum's clear writing style and no-nonsense analysis of this issue is a breath of fresh air. I strongly suspect the only folks who will pick this up are ones already "saying yes" - so to those people I say: practice your arguments on the non-believers! And share this with other friends "saying yes" - this viewpoint deserves wider acceptance.
Al Clark
This book is the paper equivalent of a rant from a former-addict with a fine arts Associate's degree using the language (but not structure or seriousness) of logic to defend his conviction that drug use is benign. Lots of citations that will appeal to a specific viewpoint, but that don't hold up under scrutiny.
Corey
Some very good arguments in defense of drug use. Doesn't really get into the logistics of legalizing drugs, how they might be regulated and so fourth, but does bring to light, in an almost embarrassing fashion, some of the misconceptions the general public has about recreational drug use.
Ben Kintisch
Jul 17, 2007 Ben Kintisch rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Responsible Adult Drug Users and Their Loved Ones
Did you know not all users are abusers?
That, according to gov't stats, millions of Americans do (illegal) drugs regularly and still manage to be productive, good citizens? If you find yourself demonizing your use or that of others, this book may just turn those notions on their head.
Steven Salaita
To which I say hell yes. I like that Sullum doesn't merely argue in favor of the legalization of drugs, but for their usefulness when taken responsibly. It's an easy argument for me to get on board with. I think drugs are great.
Etan
All drugs should be legal. If you think I'm a stupid libertarian asshole for saying that, then you should read this book. It's a great primer on the issue and provides compelling arguments in support of the legalization of all drugs.
Kate
Jan 12, 2012 Kate rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: boundary transgressors
Recommended to Kate by: 362.2936 S
Typical, degenerate users:

If I need to clean the house, I do a little heroin, and I can clean the house, and it just makes me feel so good.

I take heroin at the weekends in small doses, and do the gardening.
Ron
Sullum explodes all the myths about drug use and abuse in America, and his only failing is that he undercuts his reason by supporting the use of tobacco. Essential reading for any thinking person.
Nick Black
Incredibly disappointing. After two logical fallacies within the first seven pages, I punted on this one. Stick with Huxley and (early) Leary.
Crbianfool
Sociological examination of why people use drugs. Interesting if a little soft.
Erik
Sometimes wonky, but drives the point home and makes you think. Always good to think
Fascinating and humorous. I learned a lot, and recommend it to friends.
Nolan Gray
An interesting and sober perspective on drugs. Consider this your anti-DARE.
Jamin Batman
The best case for legalizing drugs that I have ever read.
Erin
Apr 04, 2008 Erin is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Who couldn't use a little vindication? :)
Neatplants
Shows the other side of drug use.
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Alex Ek
Alex Ek is currently reading it
Jul 15, 2014
Steven Casteel
Steven Casteel marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Rosemary
Rosemary marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
thecryptile
thecryptile marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
For Your Own Good: The Anti-Smoking Crusade and the Tyranny of Public Health Mental Health and the Law (Cato Unbound)