Start by marking “Encyclopedia Mythologica: Dragons and Monsters Pop-Up” as Want to Read:
Encyclopedia Mythologica: Dragons and Monsters Pop-Up

Encyclopedia Mythologica: Dragons and Monsters Pop-Up (Encyclopedia Mythologica)

2.5 million Encyclopedia Mythologica and Encyclopedia Prehistorica books in print worldwide.

Lurking behind this intriguing cover, a Kraken grapples with a ship on the high seas; dragons from Eastern and Western traditions spring to life; and a Medusa, snake-hair twisting and hissing, turns the reader to stone. Deeper inside, an ancient, decrepit vampire rises from his coff
Published April 12th 2011 by Candlewick Press (first published April 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Encyclopedia Mythologica, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encyclopedia Mythologica

Misty
Feb 19, 2014 Misty rated it really liked it
This is the kind of pop-up I think it's best not to know what's on the inside. That way when you turn the pages you can be surprised by the figures you'll see ^-^ I love the Chinese dragon mid-way through the book. It's so detailed and beautiful, it's perfect for your pop-up book collection and I didn't know this but I believe it's part of a trilogy!! I'm in so much trouble with this new book buying habit I'm forming. God help me. Anyways, the creatures in this book are really detailed and it pl ...more
Terri
Nov 02, 2015 Terri rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! If you're an adult collector of pop-up or general paper-craft books, don't overlook this one. Very impressive, with huge, intricate designs on every page spread. I bought one for my grandson, and one for myself!
Lulu Johnson
Jan 14, 2017 Lulu Johnson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
It's really fantastic.
Andreas
Oct 15, 2016 Andreas rated it it was amazing
This spectacular pop-up book can be regarded as a piece of art. The designs are intricate, elaborate, and more than a little surprising. There is a dynamic to the pop-ups that goes beyond the states "open" and "closed". The entire process of unfolding is important and wonderful to behold.
As for the content, there is a good mix of western, northern, and eastern mythology. Things so intrinsic to our culture that nothing will seem unfamiliar, yet the presentation will surprise you nonetheless.

This
M.
Sep 29, 2011 M. rated it it was amazing
Amazing pop-ups. Not for younger children, however, unless you're using the book as a lap-sit and intend to do a lot of explaining--most of the pictures are scary and the language is more suitable for older kids. There are beautiful pop-ups on each set of facing pages plus a variety of smaller pop-ups in little "books" in the corners. Fairly detailed information on a wide variety of monsters and dragons from the Greek myths to one from ancient Persian folklore, from Chinese dragons to vampires, ...more
Rosemary
Nov 16, 2011 Rosemary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If there is a Michelangelo of pop-ups, it would be Robert Sabuda. His Sistine Chapel may be his glorious Wizard of Oz or his equally fantastic Alice in Wonderland, but even smaller collaborations like this stretch the boundaries of pop-ups. Where else will you find a book where the dragons literally leap off the pages? And, frankly, even a Kindle Fire can't deliver the visual excitement of his enormous yeti. You need a "real world" book to do that.
Turrean
Remarkable!
I got this in a box of new library books today, and when I opened up one of the dragon pages, my colleagues literally gasped aloud. I wish their has been a narrative that pulled it all together; the text was a bit scattered. But the information is solid, and the paper engineering is beyond wonderful.
Robin
May 08, 2014 Robin rated it really liked it
Shelves: pop-up
Fabulous pop-ups with enlightening text on everything from Greek mythological characters to the Mothman to Asian dragons. The pop-up of the vampire raising the lid of his coffin is spectacular, but ALL of Sabuda and Reinhart's works are.
Kimberly
Sadly, the copy I read was pretty mangled--it's a library book--so I think that affected my perception of it. It's certainly lovely and I think I'd have given it five stars if I'd had a nicer copy--but I can't be sure until I get my hands on one!
Penny Ramirez
Jan 19, 2015 Penny Ramirez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, pop-up
This is an amazing work of art. I must own my very own copy! Can't wait to pore over the fabulous illustrations with Irys and Teo.
Samantha Westall
Nov 10, 2016 Samantha Westall rated it really liked it
A great pop-up book to introduce monsters and mythology from all over the world to elementary students.
Sherry
If you read-aloud or storytime with children on any kind of a regular basis; this is a nice piece to keep on the shelf. An excellent 'WOW' factor, it puts a bit of 3-D in the program.
Craig Sieracki
Oct 05, 2015 Craig Sieracki rated it it was amazing
This is such a beautiful and complex pop-up book. The monsters come to life and it includes great creatures from several different cultures. Definitely worth it.
Joyce Sheppard
Joyce Sheppard rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2017
Richard Pittman
Richard Pittman rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2012
Theresa
Theresa rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2013
Thelma V Dugan
Thelma V Dugan rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2014
Linda B Eller
Linda B Eller rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2015
Marianne
Marianne rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2016
N Riphagen
N Riphagen rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2014
Nikki
Nikki rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2014
Katrina
Katrina rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2012
Natalia Shagarina
Natalia Shagarina rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2016
Diana
Diana rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Fat Climber
Fat Climber rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2016
Shannon Stardust
Shannon Stardust rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2016
Mel-Mel
Mel-Mel rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2013
Kathi Droskinis
Kathi Droskinis rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2014
David
David rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2013
Joseph
Joseph rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Matthew Christian Reinhart was born September 21, 1971 to Gary and Judith Reinhart in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The son of a farmer, his father Gary joined the Navy and so the family moved around the country, from Florida to Texas to Illinois to California to Virginia and then South Carolina. Judith and Matthew followed along, and soon to be joined by his little sister, Erin.

Art was always a huge part o
More about Matthew Reinhart...

Encyclopedia Mythologica (3 books)
  • Encyclopedia Mythologica: Fairies and Magical Creatures Pop-Up