Start by marking “Encyclopedia Mythologica: Dragons and Monsters Pop-Up” as Want to Read:
Encyclopedia Mythologica: Dragons and Monsters Pop-Up

Encyclopedia Mythologica: Dragons and Monsters Pop-Up (Encyclopedia Mythologica)

4.55 of 5 stars 4.55  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  11 reviews
2.5 million Encyclopedia Mythologica and Encyclopedia Prehistorica books in print worldwide.

Lurking behind this intriguing cover, a Kraken grapples with a ship on the high seas; dragons from Eastern and Western traditions spring to life; and a Medusa, snake-hair twisting and hissing, turns the reader to stone. Deeper inside, an ancient, decrepit vampire rises from his coff
Published April 12th 2011 by Candlewick Press (first published April 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Encyclopedia Mythologica, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Encyclopedia Mythologica

Misty
This is the kind of pop-up I think it's best not to know what's on the inside. That way when you turn the pages you can be surprised by the figures you'll see ^-^ I love the Chinese dragon mid-way through the book. It's so detailed and beautiful, it's perfect for your pop-up book collection and I didn't know this but I believe it's part of a trilogy!! I'm in so much trouble with this new book buying habit I'm forming. God help me. Anyways, the creatures in this book are really detailed and it pl ...more
Kim
Sadly, the copy I read was pretty mangled--it's a library book--so I think that affected my perception of it. It's certainly lovely and I think I'd have given it five stars if I'd had a nicer copy--but I can't be sure until I get my hands on one!
Robin
Fabulous pop-ups with enlightening text on everything from Greek mythological characters to the Mothman to Asian dragons. The pop-up of the vampire raising the lid of his coffin is spectacular, but ALL of Sabuda and Reinhart's works are.
Sherry
If you read-aloud or storytime with children on any kind of a regular basis; this is a nice piece to keep on the shelf. An excellent 'WOW' factor, it puts a bit of 3-D in the program.
Penny Ramirez
This is an amazing work of art. I must own my very own copy! Can't wait to pore over the fabulous illustrations with Irys and Teo.
M.
Amazing pop-ups. Not for younger children, however, unless you're using the book as a lap-sit and intend to do a lot of explaining--most of the pictures are scary and the language is more suitable for older kids. There are beautiful pop-ups on each set of facing pages plus a variety of smaller pop-ups in little "books" in the corners. Fairly detailed information on a wide variety of monsters and dragons from the Greek myths to one from ancient Persian folklore, from Chinese dragons to vampires, ...more
Rosemary
If there is a Michelangelo of pop-ups, it would be Robert Sabuda. His Sistine Chapel may be his glorious Wizard of Oz or his equally fantastic Alice in Wonderland, but even smaller collaborations like this stretch the boundaries of pop-ups. Where else will you find a book where the dragons literally leap off the pages? And, frankly, even a Kindle Fire can't deliver the visual excitement of his enormous yeti. You need a "real world" book to do that.
Turrean
Remarkable!
I got this in a box of new library books today, and when I opened up one of the dragon pages, my colleagues literally gasped aloud. I wish their has been a narrative that pulled it all together; the text was a bit scattered. But the information is solid, and the paper engineering is beyond wonderful.
Amy
This is the most fantastic pop-up book I've ever seen!
AudryT
Way cool! Could use a giant unicorn, though.
Melanie
Very lovely pop-up book.
Miri
Miri marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Sol
Sol marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Marcelo
Marcelo marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Matthew Christian Reinhart was born September 21, 1971 to Gary and Judith Reinhart in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The son of a farmer, his father Gary joined the Navy and so the family moved around the country, from Florida to Texas to Illinois to California to Virginia and then South Carolina. Judith and Matthew followed along, and soon to be joined by his little sister, Erin.

Art was always a huge part o
More about Matthew Reinhart...

Encyclopedia Mythologica (3 books)
  • Encyclopedia Mythologica: Fairies and Magical Creatures Pop-Up
  • Encyclopedia Mythologica: Gods and Heroes Pop-Up
Star Wars: A Pop-Up Guide to the Galaxy Encyclopedia Mythologica: Fairies and Magical Creatures Pop-Up Encyclopedia Mythologica: Gods and Heroes Pop-Up Cinderella: A Pop-Up Fairy Tale The Jungle Book: A Pop-Up Adventure