Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “The Brothers of Glastonbury (Roger the Chapman, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Brothers of Glastonbury (Roger the Chapman, #7)
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

The Brothers of Glastonbury (Roger the Chapman #7)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  219 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Roger the traveling chapman should be on his way home to medieval Bristol after a nice summer's peddling. But a request from his duke to escort a bride en route to her betrothed takes him toward Wells, where the groom and his brother have vanished.
Roger links the disappearances to the discovery of ancient scrolls written in a strange language. But as he deciphers the arch
...more
Hardcover, 279 pages
Published December 31st 2001 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 1997)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about The Brothers of Glastonbury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brothers of Glastonbury

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Nikoleta
Oct 22, 2015 Nikoleta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, historical
Ένα βιβλίο που το στήσιμο της πλοκής και η αφήγηση, μου θύμισε έντονα Σερλοκ Χολμς, κι ας εκτυλίσσεται στα τέλη του 1400, που ουδεμία σχέση έχει με τον Χολμς χρονικά. Η αφήγηση σε πρώτο πρόσωπο από τον ήρωα Ρογήρο είχε κάτι από την ευγένεια που διηγείται τις περιπέτειες του Σέρλοκ, ο πιστός του φίλος δρ. Γουάτσον. Όπως επίσης, το μυστήριο δεν έχει την αγωνία και την ανατριχίλα των σύγχρονων μας βιβλίων μυστηρίου, αλλά την ανάλαφρη ευχαρίστηση που προκαλεί ένα καλό αίνιγμα, χαρακτηριστικό των βιβ ...more
Mariella Deliyannis
Jan 12, 2017 Mariella Deliyannis rated it really liked it
Το πρώτο που διάβασα της Sedley και μου άρεσε πολύ! Είναι από το είδος των μυθιστορημάτων που αγαπώ ιδιαιτέρως, όπως αυτά του P.J. Sansom, της Ellis Peters, της Susanna Gregory! Στην αρχή σε ξενίζουν οι λετομέρειες για την πολιτική κατάσταση αλλά όταν το συνηθίσεις είναι κάτι που σε βάζει καλύτερα στην πλοκή. Λίγο αργό αρχικά αλλά μετά τη μέση γίνεται πολύ πιο ενδιαφέρον.
Katerina
Ένα ακόμα βιβλίο του Ρογήρου του Γυρολόγου και το δεύτερο της σειράς που διαβάζω.
Ο Ρογήρος πρέπει να συνοδεύσει την νεαρή Καικιλία στο σπίτι της θείας της όπου την περιμένει μια συμφωνία για γάμο με τον ξαδερφό της. Ο ξάδερφος έπρεπε να έχει εμφανιστεί για να την συνοδεύσει ο ίδιος αλλά δεν ήρθε ποτέ. Φτάνοντας εκεί ο Ρογήρος καλείται να εξιχνιάσει το μυστήριο της εξαφάνισης του πρώτου ξαδέρφου και στην συνέχεια και του δευτέρου που χάνεται επίσης. Μια περίεργη ιστορία, στην οποία εμπλέκεται έν
...more
Kim Headlee
When The Brothers of Glastonbury came to my attention as a possible book to review, I confess I was predisposed to like it. The concept of a medieval mystery set in the heart of "King Arthur country" sans the usual Arthurian references sounded refreshingly unique, and I looked forward to the read.

Memo to Self: quit judging a book by its jacket blurb!

Happenstance pulls Roger the Chapman, peddler by trade and sleuth by hobby, into investigating the disappearance of a young woman's betrothed. Rumor
...more
Monica Friedlander
May 22, 2015 Monica Friedlander rated it did not like it
I can hardly imagine a more discombobulated collection of nonsense and a "mystery" that never seemed mysterious, gratuitous references to Arthurian legends and the Holy Grail, and an ending predictable from the start. Boggles the mind that anyone would publish this. Or that I followed through on my habit of reading a book I started to the end, even if I was skimming thorough the last half to get the silliness over with as fast as I could. I'd give it negative ratings if I could.
Maggie
Interesting story, it wasn't as predictable as some mysteries, so that was nice. It was also fun to read a "who done it" set during the midieval period.

My biggest complaint is that for some reason I kept thinking it read like a Nancy Drew, which is strange because I haven't read a Nancy Drew in a million years. But I might look for more in this series if I'm hard up for something to read.
Carmen
Jan 05, 2015 Carmen rated it liked it
Set in the medieval times of England. Roger is asked to accompany a woman to her fiancés house in time for the wedding. When he arrives, he discovers that the groom is missing. Shortly thereafter the other brother goes missing. Roger Chapman decides to help the mother figure out what has happened to her sons. In the process, he connects the disappearance to an old manuscript which was written in the old Celtic ongram writing.
Sandra Strange
Another in this excellent series starring Roger the Chapman, a wandering ex-novice priest now a peddler with a talent for unraveling mysteries, this novel involves the unnatural disappearance of two brothers. The novel skirts the supernatural genre of da vinci's code, complete with an ancient manuscript that may or may not hint at a treasure brought to Glastonbury by Joseph of Arimathea.
Linda
Jun 05, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
Fun, atmospheric series about Roger Chapman, a peddler who also acts as a sometimes spy for the Duke of Glouster. Set in mideval England, the author brings a feel of authenticity to her descriptions of the way folks lived in those times. It's a nice escape from reality, but definitely makes you appreciate what we have today.
Elaine
May 25, 2011 Elaine rated it liked it
Takes place in fifteenth century. During the reign of Edward IV and V and just before Richard III (1485)

Glastonbury is where Arthur and Guinevere were supposedly buried. Jooseph of Arimathea supposedly brought Christ here as a young boy.

Greek myths told of the soul being rowed across the river Styx by the boatman Charon.

In Arthur's time the Saxons were known as the Axe Ons.
Amber
Oct 08, 2014 Amber rated it really liked it
A fun mystery, but I'll admit it only made 4 stars instead of 3 because it takes place wholly in the Bristol-Bath-Glastonbury area, where I will be traveling soon and where I was intentionally researching. For that purpose, it was quite good.
Marian
Apr 16, 2011 Marian rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Marian by: Me
All of Roger the Chapman's skills at finding out the truth are needed to solve this mystery. A young man disappears into thin air and then his younger brother also disappears leaving Roger at a loss to understand their disappearances - and wondering about the safety of his own life.
Kortessa
Aug 16, 2016 Kortessa rated it did not like it
Thank God, I bought this book on a book bazaar!!! I did not spend too much money on that, otherwise that would be a great waste...One of the worst books I have read. Very boring, very superficial, slow plot pace. Everything negative...
Anita
Another good one fromSedley as she adds to her Roger the Chapman series of mysteries. While not as strong an outing as some of her titles, Roger, his adventures and his time in history continue to entertain, educate and surprise.
Mimi
Jan 01, 2013 Mimi rated it liked it
Roger is involved in solving the mysterious disappearance of two brothers who had found a document purporting to describe the hidden burial spot of the Holy Grail. They, and Roger, in actuality stumble into a thieves' lair.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Wait, this isn't the first book in the series? Why did I think it was? Well, no wonder I couldn't quite get into it. It seemed a bit dry.
Libby
Libby rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2010
Sue
Sue rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2009
Carrie
Carrie rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2010
Jennifer Nona
Jennifer Nona rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2015
judith ungvary
judith ungvary rated it did not like it
Apr 20, 2015
Petra
Petra rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2013
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2015
Rejane
Rejane rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2008
Marv
Marv rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2014
JTB
JTB rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Amy Bruewer
Amy Bruewer rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2013
Diane Cherry
Sep 16, 2009 Diane Cherry rated it really liked it
good medieveal history mystery
Marianne Luginbuhl
Marianne Luginbuhl rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2016
Earl Heather
Earl Heather rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Troubled Bones (Crispin Guest, #4)
  • Sorrow Without End (Medieval Mystery, #3)
  • Murder Wears a Cowl (Hugh Corbett, #6)
  • The Prioress' Tale (Sister Frevisse, #7)
  • The Poisoned Chalice (Crowner John Mystery #2)
  • Liars and Thieves
4848
Kate Sedley, the pen-name of Brenda Margaret Lilian Honeyman Clarke (born 1926) is an English historical novelist. She was born in Bristol and educated at The Red Maid's School, Westbury-on-Trym. She is married and has a son and a daughter, and one granddaughter.
Her medieval historical whodunnits feature Roger the Chapman, who has given up a monk's cell for the freedom of peddling his wares on th
...more
More about Kate Sedley...

Other Books in the Series

Roger the Chapman (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Death and the Chapman (Roger the Chapman, #1)
  • The Plymouth Cloak (Roger the Chapman, #2)
  • The Weaver's Tale (Roger the Chapman, #3)
  • The Holy Innocents (Roger the Chapman, #4)
  • The Eve of Saint Hyacinth (Roger the Chapman, #5)
  • The Wicked Winter (Roger the Chapman, #6)
  • The Weaver's Inheritance (Roger the Chapman, #8)
  • The Saint John's Fern (Roger the Chapman, #9)
  • The Goldsmith's Daughter (Roger the Chapman, #10)
  • The Lammas Feast (Roger the Chapman, #11)

Share This Book