Start by marking “The Brothers of Glastonbury (Roger the chapman, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Brothers of Glastonbury (Roger the chapman, #7)

The Brothers of Glastonbury (Roger the Chapman #7)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Roger the traveling chapman should be on his way home to medieval Bristol after a nice summer's peddling. But a request from his duke to escort a bride en route to her betrothed takes him toward Wells, where the groom and his brother have vanished.
Roger links the disappearances to the discovery of ancient scrolls written in a strange language. But as he deciphers the arch
Published December 31st 2001 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Brothers of Glastonbury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brothers of Glastonbury

Treasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonEye of the Needle by Ken FollettThe Cottoncrest Curse by Michael H. RubinThe Day of the Jackal by Frederick ForsythThe Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
Best Historical Thrillers
153rd out of 159 books — 55 voters
Girl With a Pearl Earring by Tracy ChevalierThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienFrankenstein by Mary ShelleyHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Book Covers with Art/Paintings
128th out of 150 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Kim Headlee
When The Brothers of Glastonbury came to my attention as a possible book to review, I confess I was predisposed to like it. The concept of a medieval mystery set in the heart of "King Arthur country" sans the usual Arthurian references sounded refreshingly unique, and I looked forward to the read.

Memo to Self: quit judging a book by its jacket blurb!

Happenstance pulls Roger the Chapman, peddler by trade and sleuth by hobby, into investigating the disappearance of a young woman's betrothed. Rumor
Sandra Strange
Another in this excellent series starring Roger the Chapman, a wandering ex-novice priest now a peddler with a talent for unraveling mysteries, this novel involves the unnatural disappearance of two brothers. The novel skirts the supernatural genre of da vinci's code, complete with an ancient manuscript that may or may not hint at a treasure brought to Glastonbury by Joseph of Arimathea.
Amber
A fun mystery, but I'll admit it only made 4 stars instead of 3 because it takes place wholly in the Bristol-Bath-Glastonbury area, where I will be traveling soon and where I was intentionally researching. For that purpose, it was quite good.
Maggie
Interesting story, it wasn't as predictable as some mysteries, so that was nice. It was also fun to read a "who done it" set during the midieval period.

My biggest complaint is that for some reason I kept thinking it read like a Nancy Drew, which is strange because I haven't read a Nancy Drew in a million years. But I might look for more in this series if I'm hard up for something to read.
Elaine
Takes place in fifteenth century. During the reign of Edward IV and V and just before Richard III (1485)

Glastonbury is where Arthur and Guinevere were supposedly buried. Jooseph of Arimathea supposedly brought Christ here as a young boy.

Greek myths told of the soul being rowed across the river Styx by the boatman Charon.

In Arthur's time the Saxons were known as the Axe Ons.
Linda
Fun, atmospheric series about Roger Chapman, a peddler who also acts as a sometimes spy for the Duke of Glouster. Set in mideval England, the author brings a feel of authenticity to her descriptions of the way folks lived in those times. It's a nice escape from reality, but definitely makes you appreciate what we have today.
Marian
Apr 25, 2011 Marian rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Marian by: Me
All of Roger the Chapman's skills at finding out the truth are needed to solve this mystery. A young man disappears into thin air and then his younger brother also disappears leaving Roger at a loss to understand their disappearances - and wondering about the safety of his own life.
Mimi
Roger is involved in solving the mysterious disappearance of two brothers who had found a document purporting to describe the hidden burial spot of the Holy Grail. They, and Roger, in actuality stumble into a thieves' lair.
Anita
Another good one fromSedley as she adds to her Roger the Chapman series of mysteries. While not as strong an outing as some of her titles, Roger, his adventures and his time in history continue to entertain, educate and surprise.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Wait, this isn't the first book in the series? Why did I think it was? Well, no wonder I couldn't quite get into it. It seemed a bit dry.
Fran Caparrelli
fun light reading with a lot of historical detail which I really like.
Hapzydeco
Roger the Chapman solves another medieval mystery. Good read.
Diane Cherry
good medieveal history mystery
Kristen Ray
Kristen Ray marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Katy Beadle
Katy Beadle marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Russ
Russ marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Vasilis
Vasilis marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Kate Sedley, the pen-name of Brenda Margaret Lilian Honeyman Clarke (born 1926) is an English historical novelist. She was born in Bristol and educated at The Red Maid's School, Westbury-on-Trym. She is married and has a son and a daughter, and one granddaughter.
Her medieval historical whodunnits feature Roger the Chapman, who has given up a monk's cell for the freedom of peddling his wares on th
More about Kate Sedley...
Death and the Chapman (Roger the chapman, #1) The Plymouth Cloak (Roger the chapman, #2) The Weaver's Tale (Roger the chapman, #3) The Wicked Winter (Roger the chapman, #6) The Weaver's Inheritance (Roger the Chapman, #8)