Start by marking “Night Lost (Darkyn, #4)” as Want to Read:
Night Lost (Darkyn, #4)

Night Lost (Darkyn #4)

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  3,734 Ratings  ·  121 Reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review
Sometimes, even vampires get lucky in love. They do in Lynn Viehl's engrossing Darkyn series, of which this is the fourth. Viehl's main couple here is immensely appealing, a study in tough and tender. There's Nicola or "Nick" Jefferson, an art thief toughened by life's curveballs, more at home on a motorcycle than in a gown; and Gabriel Seran,
Published May 1st 2007 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Night Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Lost

Taylor Mortsolf
Apr 17, 2016 Taylor Mortsolf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love how unique this series is!
Zeek
Continuing where Dark Need left off, in Night Lost we find Dr. Alexandra Keller, lover of Michael Cyprien Top Darkyn in America, held hostage in the Irish castle of the Darkyn King. King Richard needs Alex's special talent to find a cure for the disease thrust upon him by their much loathed enemy, The Brethren. But Alex will have none of it- as we've seen before, blackmail and force will not get her to do a thing. Besides, how can she think when all she wants is to get back to Michael?

In the mid
Melindeeloo
Two loosely connected shorts. Darkyn fans only. Newbies will not appreciate this story

Night Lost is probably the most lightweight of the Darkyn novels, it is on the short side and has about 4 different threads going in the beginning. The two new love interests Nicola and Gabriel are likable, but they pretty much just go on a road trip and though they do end up in the same place with everyone else at the end, they could have been left out. Even better yet this would have made two really good sho
Theresa
Nov 13, 2014 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I never expected that ending, but it was perfectly executed. I tip my hat to Richard. I used to think he was horrible and deserved what he got, but he’s as much a victim as the rest. I glad that it turned out okay.

And as always, Alex is a genius. Her human pre-Kyn intelligence has only be expanded with her change. When are these guys going to start appreciating what they have in her? The male Kyn are so chauvinistic.

In the beginning, I understood that Nick and Gabriel both have secrets
Jen
Apr 16, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: x-read-in-2011
Gabriel was abducted by the Brethren 3 years ago - tortured and starved, then left as bait to lour in the one human that has been sneaking into the Brethren’s hide-away and helping the Darkyn escape.

Nick - Nicola - is a thief, murderer, and a liar, and she has a BIG secret she will die to protect - she watched her parents get tortured and the one that did it left her to die while running off with the Golden Madonna statue that belonged to her stepfather. And she wants it back!

Nick spent 10 yea
Styles
Mar 26, 2012 Styles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gabriel and Nick

I presume you know what the book is about I'm letting you know what I liked or disliked about it.

It's no secret I've enjoyed each of the Darkyn protagonists Ms. Viehl has shared with us but I guess I favor Gabriel the most (so far ;) ). The deference demonstrated by Richard Tremayne, Michael Cyprien, and Korvel is remarkable. There must be more to his "story" - I think (hope!) there is more about Gabriel in upcoming books in the series.

I liked Nick too - self composed, assured, d
Andrea
Nov 03, 2011 Andrea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Why did I keep reading this book to the end? Possibly so I could rejoice that it was over. At first some of the author's premises were interesting and I wanted to find out more concerning the heiarchy of this society but midway through I began to get sick and tired of such and such smelling like a rose or jasmine or candy or...and I began to feel like I was in Yankee Candles and those of you who know me know I can't stand the overwhelming stench of the place.

Now for the positives. I can see why
Ladiibbug
Jul 04, 2008 Ladiibbug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#4 Darkyn series (vampires)

Another engrossing adventure within the Darkyn! I LOVE the world Lynn Viehl has envisioned, and the recurring characters.

This series is darker, and at times more violent, with occasional graphic descriptions of torture done to vampires. It fits in with the plot line, but it's not one of the "happy, funny" vampire series.

#4 lives up to the prior 3 books as far as excellent story telling, action, intrigue & adventure, with a bit of romance.

One of the major female ch
Donna Langley
Aug 13, 2008 Donna Langley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who enjoy sci-fi romance novels
I loved this book! The character sin this book are particularly strong. I am becoming such a fan of Michael Cyprien. Again - you can read this out of order with the other books in the series, but the story lines are getting so intricate that I think reading them in order is the best way to go.

This book delves more into the biological makeup of the Darkyn and highlights what happens when Kyn get captured by Brethren.
Emma
Aug 16, 2014 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After complaining that the male vampire protagonists were getting a bit similar in my last review this one completely changes my view.

I rather liked Gabriel, and more often than not he was the damsel in distress rather than the female lead, Nick. Nick is a thief who specialises in religious artifacts and Gabriel isn't the first Darkyn that she's found, though his blindness means she can't abandon him.

There were some parts that I felt were never properly explained, like the dreams, I still don'
Cindy
Apr 05, 2009 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read! The story arc started in book 3 is completed. New charismatic characters are introduced, and Alexandra's medical skills triumph again. Very satisfactory read.

Order is very important.

5. Evermore (2008)
6. Twilight Fall (2008)
7. Stay the Night (2009)
Daelith
This series just isn't holding my attention well enough to continue with it. I, at least, enjoyed this book more than the third one in the series. I like the way the author has taken historical type figures and turned them into vampires, but for some reasons the plots don't click for me.
Shaunesay Eslanai
Aug 28, 2010 Shaunesay Eslanai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The end felt a little rushed and conveniently tied up, but I still did really like it, looking forward to the next one!
Tania
Dec 05, 2015 Tania rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lynn-viehl
"Night Lost" by Lynn Viehl. Book 4 in the Darkyn series.

I liked this book. A little different than the first three because the bad guys (the Brethern) don't really have a big presence in this book. It focuses more on the main characters Gabriel and Nicola (Nick) and the ongoing series plot involving the high lord of the Darkyn, Richard. Gabriel is a character that was mentioned in the first book as being friends with Michael and Thierry. Nick is a new character we have not seen before.

This book
Nymphsin
Another decent read by Lynn...

So far, this book is probably one of the most surprising in the entire series goes. ...Not because of the plot exactly, but because these characters just popped up out of no where, yet they seem to "fit" into the grand landscape of things.

Gabriel is a tortured soul, and you would think after what he's been through this Darkyn would leave a trail of blood behind him...
Yet he is probably one of the sweetest and understanding of the Kyn relations.
And the things he can
Carolyn F.
I usually will add a star just because I have a thing for the tortured hero, but this guy seemed soooo tortured and almost helpless even after he was fed and appeared to be stronger.

Nicola "Nick" is trying to find a golden statue stolen from her parents. On her search for it she keeps coming across these tortured men in the basements of abandoned churches. On one of these excursions, she find Gabriel who has been bricked up to die (or not because they don't die but to suffer horribly). He just
Mandy
All I can say about this book was that I was a little bit disappointed with it. All I got out of the story was that there was so many sex scenes I stopped counting. It seriously got annoying after a while. The author kicks ass with her writing- almost making you wish you could meet Alex and the other character. There wasn't much happening in this book, it almost felt like the whole reason it was written was because the author succumbed to the whole "people want to read about sex!" thing.

Gabriel
Heather Dalgarno
"Night Lost" is the 4th book in the Darkyn series by Lynn Viehl.

For those of you that don't know, this premise of this series is that the Knights Templar, during their battles in the Holy Land, contracted a disease that has turned them into vampires. Fast forward to the present day and we see a modern day group of elite, tortured, warrior vampires living in a feudal system with a few human minions (willing of course). Oh..... and a war with an evil branch of the Catholic church bent on their de
Tasha
Oct 26, 2013 Tasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars, paranormal
I'm a thief and a liar

Words consistently uttered by Night Lost's heroine, Nicola Jefferson. In the fourth installment of Lynn Viehl's Darkyn series, we follow Nick, an international thief wanted by Interpol, in her search of a family relic known as the Golden Madonna. While traveling through France, she stumbles upon an old, dilapated chapel in which we find Gabriel Seran, one of Michael Cyprien's closest friends and former Templar Knight turned Darkyn, blinded and sealed inside a room underneat
Cid Tyer
May 28, 2010 Cid Tyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-books
Okay, I read through Night Lost in… five hours I think. With one break where I held a scalding hot microwave pizza in one hand and used the other to hold the book and read, so I never really stopped reading so much as I just slowed down.

Yes, these books are very much like an addiction currently, lol.

The Setting — this time you get to jump around! Part of the plot is in the familiar New Orleans. Some takes place in a small French town and over the French countryside and then the other bit takes p
Susan
April
Aug 09, 2012 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Pros: Storyline and characters are great
Cons: None

‘Night Lost’ is part of my second favorite vampire series, the Darkyn. The only advice I have when reading these (I say ‘these’ because once you read one you’ll be hooked) is to say that it will help a lot in learning the characters and terminology if you start from the beginning with If Angels Burn. The second book is just as good as the first. It’s called Private Demon.

Basically these books chronicle the lives of a set of vampires who refer to
Christel
Mar 28, 2009 Christel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any paranormal reader
Shelves: lynn-viehl
4th in the Darkyn series.

Gabriel Seran has been held prisoner of the religious zealots the Brethren for the past 2 years. He has never revealed his secrets to them even after being totured and blinded by them.

Nicola has been traveling through out Europe looting and stealing artwork and other religious icons from churches fencing them to support her search for the Golden Madonna that was stolen from her family. Her family being killed in the process. After having strange dreams about the "Green M
Ana T.
Another one in Viehl's Darkyn series. I had some trouble grading this book as I devoured the parts about Richard and Alex but wasn't really interested in the parts about Gabriel and Nick.

A NOBLE PRISONER...

Gabriel Seran has fallen into the hands of the fanatical religious order known as the Brethren. Though abandoned by his fellow Kyn, he remains honor bound to protect their secrets from his interrogators. Blinded, nailed to a cross, and sealed in a chapel cellar beneath a ruined château, Gabrie
Tina
Jul 22, 2008 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 4th book in the Darkyn series.

Nicola Jefferson is a thief. She is also hot on the trail of a religious artifact known as the Golden Madonna. Traversing Europe, she allows her uncanny sense of finding things to lead her trail to the artifact. During her travels she stumbles across Gabriel Seran, who bears the uncanny resemblance (and the scent of Evergreen) of the Green Man who populates her dreams.

Gabriel Seran is one of the Darkyn who had been kidnapped over a year ago along with Th
Tanya
Mar 20, 2014 Tanya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been really enjoying the Darkyn novels, but this one was seriously confusing through most of it and not explained even in the end (though some mysteries were). It was probably very clear in the author's mind, but I was lost and bored through much of it. I did suspect the secret about Nick pretty early on though with the hints. I was glad to see Nick and Gabriel and their relationship, but 90% of their history was left confusing. Maybe in the next books more will come to light.

The ongoing
Latisha
Lynn Viehl has a bad habit of very anti climactic falling in love moments. They are very boring and very very quick. It seems to be a pattern throughout all of the books in this series so far. I enjoy the storyline though, otherwise I would quit reading the series. I am also not a quiter. Once I start a series, it is really hard for me to put it down and stop, even though it sucks.
Kim
Jan 23, 2016 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Abandoned by his fellow Darkyn, Gabriel Seran is in continual torment as a prisoner of the religious zealots known as the Brethren. His only hope for rescue lies in Nicola Jefferson, a thief seeking a holy relic-and connected to Gabriel in more ways than she can possibly imagine... [br/][br/]This is book 4 in her "Darkyn" series.
Bethany C
I continue to enjoy this series. I've found I'm not the only one who occasionally gets a little confused with all the characters that come in and out, but other than that, I like them a lot. They are similar enough to each other to know what you're getting into, yet have different enough story lines so that they don't feel recycled. I don't read these too close together, so I may forget some things from the previous books, but as far as I can recall I raced through this book a little faster than ...more
Lucia
Best Darkyn novel of the series so far. I enjoyed all the story lines, even the one about Richard (the Darkyn King) and and his kidnapped doctor, Alexandria, who I have not especially been a fan of in the past books. The main story was about Gabriel, a imprisoned and tortured vampire, who is rescued by a human thief while she was in search of a religious artifact. They are both endearing and likable characters, their romance is swift but sweet and the twists are exciting and surprising. Supposed ...more
What's The Name o...: Blind, amnesiac male vampire, being led to safety by woman [s] 11 46 Apr 22, 2014 11:48AM
Darkyn Group 1 1 Oct 26, 2012 10:33PM
  • Primal Desires (Primes, #6)
  • Darkness Revealed (Guardians of Eternity, #4)
  • Demon Moon (The Guardians, #2)
  • Night of the Huntress (Brotherhood of Blood, #2)
  • Bound (Little Goddess, #3)
  • A Taste of Crimson (Crimson City, #2)
  • Gideon (Nightwalkers, #2)
  • The Vampire's Secret (Savannah Vampire, #2)
  • Redeemed in Darkness (Paladins of Darkness, #4)
  • Master of Dragons (Mageverse #5)
  • Bond of Blood (Texas Vampires #1)
Also see S.L. Viehl, Gena Hale, Jessica Hall. Rebecca Kelly.

She writes mostly novels in a variety of genres and under several pseudonyms. Among them are science fiction (as S. L. Viehl), romantic fiction (as Lynn Viehl, Gena Hale, and Jessica Hall), and Christian fiction (as Rebecca Kelly). She has described herself as primarily a writer of romance: no matter what genre she is working in, an eleme
More about Lynn Viehl...

Darkyn (7 books)
  • If Angels Burn (Darkyn #1)
  • Private Demon (Darkyn #2)
  • Dark Need (Darkyn #3)
  • Evermore (Darkyn #5)
  • Twilight Fall (Darkyn #6)
  • Stay the Night (Darkyn, #7)

“Count yourself fortunate." He made an elegant sweep of his hand toward the sun. "Daylight does not make them turn to ash, but they become bloody damn infants, whinging on about irritated eyes and sluggish limbs and so forth.” 4 likes