Start by marking “Capacity (AI Trilogy #2)” as Want to Read:
Capacity (AI Trilogy #2)

Capacity (AI Trilogy #2)

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  245 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Welcome to the year 2252—and congratulations! You’re now a personality construct. We know that can be a daunting stage of personal development, especially if you don’t remember making this life-changing decision. But we’re here to help….

Helen is waking to a dark new reality—one that she’s certain she didn’t choose. In this borrowed existence, she finds an unexpected guide
Published December 26th 2006 by Spectra (first published 2005)

Peter
May 20, 2015 Peter rated it liked it
In the future, humanity is watched over, arguably controlled by AIs, and only a small fraction of people live in what we think of as the "real" world... many citizens are digital copies, living in simulations of reality, albeit with a human lifespan. An agent of the government rescues one of these digital copies from an illegal simulation used for torture fantasies, and the two go on a quest to find the creator of the sim and bring him to justice. And in deep space, a human is sent to investigat ...more
Wendy
Mar 11, 2012 Wendy rated it it was ok
There were moments in this book that captivated me. I'm interested in subjectivity, identity and the construction of reality and experience...but ultimately I just couldn't stick with the book. I skimmed the last part. It isn't that the writing is bad or anything (hence two stars rather than one) but I lost interest. I think it has something to do with the narrative structure; the shifts in point of view characters and of time frames contribute to a feeling that the ideas haven't been explored t ...more
Wealhtheow
Sep 18, 2007 Wealhtheow rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Evolution's Darling or Blindsight
Shelves: sci-fi
Virtual worlds, in which personality constructs and AIs live, are now considered as real as the tangible, "atomic" world we live in today. The story follows social worker Judy and one of her charges, Helen, as they traverse the two realities in search of answers. Their search gradually broadens in scope until at last they discover what happened at the edge of the known galaxy two decades ago. The characters are prickly, complex and believable; I particularly liked Helen, whose last memories were ...more
Servius  Heiner
Nov 15, 2007 Servius Heiner rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone intreasted in Sci-Fi
Shelves: sci-fi, crap-sci-fi
In a not so distant future humanity has given up control of it's every day lives to A.I. In order to ensure its survival, peace and harmony. This work of fiction explores the ramifications of this, such as, if we give up our free will are we still human. If free will is in the hands of an A.I. were program and analog replace spirit; passion, morals, ethics. (Think "i Robot") If we make a digital copy of ourselves, and live in a digital world are we still human?

The year is 2122-2255, with the adv
Joel
Mar 22, 2015 Joel rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
The second novel in a science fiction trilogy, set in a 23rd century in which human affairs are managed by AIs and virtual worlds (some of which simulate our own exactly) exist, in which virtual people whose personalities have been copied from flesh-and-blood people live out their lives.

A few plot elements:

1) a woman named Helen is rescued from an illegal virtual world in which she, and many copies of her, has been used as the victim for perverts living out their torture/rape fantasies. Now that
Mike Franklin
Another very good hard SF book. This story follows on from Recursion but other than sharing the same universe it does not really continue the story of Recursion. However the third book does continue this story.

Again this is very computer techie hard Sf. It takes a very interesting look at the ideas of real, or in the book's terminology atomic, people, personality constructs (copies of atomic people running in virtual realities) and AIs and all their relative rights as unique individuals. This is
Rob
Nov 05, 2007 Rob rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
This is yet another living-as-a-virtual-person-in-a-computer story that is set 200-300 years in the future. It's a good read but a little hard to follow at times. The story really blurs the distinction between "atomic" people (living in the physical world) and "digital" people (living in a computer). It makes the assertion that both are equally real.

It's an interesting philosophical question that takes you a different direction than stories like "The Matrix." Is there any difference between what
Larry
Apr 11, 2015 Larry rated it really liked it
Cyber-themed 'Brave New World' distant future dystopia faces an existential threat.
Lots of cool and edgy ideas here.
The ending surprised me a bit as the side that I thought of as the good guys was
defeated, at least temporarily.
Excellent read.
Luke Meehan
Apr 07, 2014 Luke Meehan rated it it was amazing
Brilliant hard-AI scfi. Ballantyne does exceptionally well in dealing with the potentialities of replicable mind-simulations, both negative and positive. The literal deus ex machina limits the, otherwise uncontrollably vast, examination of consciousness emulation and provides an enjoyable plot framework. An important book.
Paul
Feb 10, 2016 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second book by Ballantyne in same universe as Recursion. More about intelligence and AI than about nanotechnology. More linear than Recursion although for much of the book does have two seperate timelines with Judy and Helen and Justinian Sibellius. About Schroedinger boxes and alien plants as well as questioning the benevolence of the Watcher and how humanity has been shaped.
Chani
Apr 17, 2011 Chani rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, surreal
I enjoyed this book for its backstory. The characters were odd and didn't really engage me, nor did the front stage story. But the imagination of the world, the rich details, the new spinning of sci-fi, oriental, and organic elements sucked me in. I feel compelled to give it a high rating solely because it was so enjoyable from an aesthetic and emotional perspective.
Brendan
Aug 08, 2008 Brendan rated it did not like it
Reading the description for this book made me really excited for it, but I just got disappointed when I actually read it. Despite the high level of technology it's very soft sci-fi and while there are some cool ideas they are not explored enough. The story was totally lacking and I didn't really get attached to any of the characters. In short, not my thing.
Kristen
Aug 04, 2014 Kristen rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
I did not enjoy the first 100 pages of this book, which is my cutoff for how long I give a book to engage my interest before I put it in the used bookstore pile. Life, as they say, is too short to read bad books.

Mark Lacy
Dec 12, 2013 Mark Lacy rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
Not sure I understood this book any more than the one ("Recursion") than came before it. Hard to follow the plot and how the story lines support one another, but I do find the author's ideas interesting.
Nick0z
Mar 30, 2008 Nick0z rated it really liked it
Shelves:
A good sequel continuing in the same universe. I'm only 70 pages in, but it is expanding the old thought-provoking ideas of the previous novel while adding new ones.
Gerry
Sep 06, 2010 Gerry rated it really liked it
A really solid sequel to Recursion that I felt built on the themes of free will, God, and the definition of life. A pretty good sci-fi series I will re-read.
Nicole
Jul 25, 2011 Nicole added it
Shelves: science-fiction
I am honestly not sure what I think of this book. I wonder if the story would make more sense if I read the other books in the trilogy...
Richard
Feb 19, 2009 Richard rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Another great book.
had me reading on and on.

talks about AI and the ability to copy the mind and all the social implications thereof.
Jan Spindler
Aug 06, 2013 Jan Spindler rated it really liked it
Loved this series
G.D.
G.D. is currently reading it
Jun 24, 2016
Ben
Ben rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
James
James rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Peter Centorcelli
Peter Centorcelli marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
AKB
AKB added it
Jun 05, 2016
Sensitivemuse
Sensitivemuse marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Joseph Carmer
Joseph Carmer rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Anne-marie Toms
Anne-marie Toms rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Seb
Seb rated it really liked it
May 31, 2016
Scotoma
Scotoma rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Quesne
Quesne added it
May 16, 2016
  • Changing Vision (Web Shifters, #2)
  • Afterburn (Bio Rescue, #2)
  • Crysis
  • The World Before (Wess'Har Wars, #3)
  • Apex Predator
  • The Stonehenge Gate
  • Dust (Jacob's Ladder, #1)
  • Transcendent (Destiny's Children, #3)
  • The Life Engineered
  • Eye
  • Appleseed: Prometheus Unbound (Appleseed, #2)
  • Crysis: Legion

Anthony Ballantyne, is a British science-fiction author who is most famous for writing his debut trilogy of novels, Recursion, Capacity and Divergence. He is also Head of Information Technology and an Information Technology teacher at The Blue Coat School, Oldham and has b
More about Tony Ballantyne...

AI Trilogy (3 books)
  • Recursion (AI Trilogy #1)
  • Divergence (AI Trilogy #3)