How I Was Adopted

How I Was Adopted

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  35 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Sam has a joyful story to tell, one completely her own, yet common to millions of families -- the story of how she was adopted. Most of all, it's a story about love. And in the end, Sam's story comes full circle, inviting young readers to share stories of how they were adopted.
Published September 28th 1999 by HarperCollins (first published September 27th 1995)

Jacquelyn
Genre: Juvenile Picture Book Reading level: Ages 3-8
This is a book provides a joyful way to open a dialogue about adoption. Samantha, you can call her Sam for short, was adopted by her new family when she was a tiny baby. She uses this delightful picture book format to tell you her story. She begins with a brief, but realistic lesson on how babies are born. She then describes the adoption process and her family’s delight in receiving their child. Short sentences and fun full color drawings allow...more
Christian Houseworth
This narrative is informative and somewhat humorous as well. The book is written from the prospective of Samatha, a child who was adopted. The language is simplistic and entertaining. For example, the narrator provides a child-like interpretation as to how babies are born. The narration of this story is great because it allows children to become connected to the narrator. For example, the narrator says, “you can call me Sam for short.” Sam gives a detailed description of her room. She even provi...more
Michel Butler
How I Was Adopted is a children’s book by Joanna Cole that tells the story of a young girl named Sam. The narrator recaps the story her parents told her about how she was adopted at birth, including a very simplistic and age appropriate explanation of how babies are born. As a literacy teacher, I would use this text to discuss adoption in a fun way, as well as touch on the subject of how babies are born. I believe students would use this text as a gateway to begin thinking and talking about thei...more
Tara Mensing
This is the author of the Magic School Bus books! This book is useful in helping children who were adopted, understand how their adoption happened. I found it helpful that the biological mother was referred to as a "woman" instead of another "mother" which could be confusing to the children as the word "mother" carries such a heavy emotional attachment. The character Sam, talks directly to the child out of the book, asking questions like: "Are you adopted too?". The book was also well liked by t...more
Andrice
This book is about a little girl named Sam that was adopted from birth and learns of her unique story. Her parents give her a step by step, very detailed recap of what happened in her life. The book is amazing in the illustrations of how babies are born and the writer does a great job of giving explanations that are relatable to children. The book encourages children to learn their own stories of how they were born and heavily expresses that all children are different so no two stories will be t...more
Lori
When my daughter was very little (i.e. before she could read) I actually never read the actual text of this book to her...I would substitute our adoption story to go along with the pictures. So it was a good tool to introduce the concept of adoption to our kids.

Not as whimsical and sweet as Jamie Lee Curtis' "Tell Me Again About the Night I was Born" but still a wonderful book to open the dialogue about adoption with children.
Randie
Joanna Cole includes a few notes to parents featured in the front of the book. I especially liked her emphasis that each adopted has their own story and this book is just a way to help families and children talk about their stories.

The story is direct, almost factual-like but also addresses that love was the guiding force in the adoption process. I enjoyed the illustrations. Reminded me of Bob Graham's work.
Brittany N
A young girl named Amanda shares the story of how she was adopted. Amanda’s parents adopted her when she was born. She loves both of her parents very much and is happy with their decision to adopt. At the end of the book Amanda encourages other young children that were adopted to find out their adoption story. This book would be great when discussing families.
Karen
This book has a front section for parents about having discussions with your adopted child. Within the story are a few questions for your child to answer like "how old were you when you were adopted?" There is a technical discussion of the birthmom including pictures of a uterus and talk about push-push-pushing.
Tiffany Young
A young girl named Amanda shares the story of how she was adopted. This book would be good to use if there are students in your class who have been adopted. It could also be included in a unit on family types/family structures.
Andrea Retana
This book would teach children that families can be different. Encourage children to learn their own story, how they were born and how bless they are for being adopted. It is a narrative, informative, and humorous book.
Megan Rowland
Have children who were adopted in your class? This is a good book for them to read. Also, this is a book to read in front of the whole class if they are having questions about their classmate being adopted.
Adoption Books
good, despite the fact that it uses 'uterus' multiple times (who says that when talking to kids?) and has some awesome birthing pics. still, definitely worth buying.
Geri
This book goes into some detail about anatomy and the birthing process. Seems best for school-age children. Wonderful to use as a discussion-starting tool.
Kelley Mcalhany
Dec 06, 2010 Kelley Mcalhany added it
Shelves: family
Great book for student who may be adopted in your class, or just to infor your students that families are different
April Helms
Jan 23, 2008 April Helms rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children
A great book for children who are adopted, or for children who may have a friend or classmate who has been adopted.
Lorraine Robinson
This book can be used for:
- explainig adoption
- difernet families
- personal narrative
- information about babies
Jenny
Jenny added it
May 20, 2014
weelilbit
weelilbit marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Carson Li
Carson Li marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Rianee Kamies
Rianee Kamies marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Joanna Cole who also writes under the pseudonym B. J. Barnet is an author of children’s books who teaches science.

She is most famous as the author of The Magic School Bus series of children's books. Joanna Cole has written over 250 books ranging from her first book Cockroach to her famous series Magic School Bus.

Cole was born in Newark, New Jersey, and grew up in nearby East Orange. She loved scie...more
More about Joanna Cole...
The Magic School Bus Inside the Human Body (The Magic School Bus, #3) The Magic School Bus Lost in the Solar System (The Magic School Bus, #4) The Magic School Bus on the Ocean Floor (The Magic School Bus, #5) The Magic School Bus Gets Baked in a Cake: A Book About Kitchen Chemistry The Magic School Bus Inside Ralphie: A Book About Germs