Start by marking “How I Was Adopted” as Want to Read:
How I Was Adopted

How I Was Adopted

Sam has a joyful story to tell, one completely her own, yet common to millions of families -- the story of how she was adopted. Most of all, it's a story about love. And in the end, Sam's story comes full circle, inviting young readers to share stories of how they were adopted.
Published September 28th 1999 by HarperCollins (first published September 27th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about How I Was Adopted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How I Was Adopted

Christian Houseworth
This narrative is informative and somewhat humorous as well. The book is written from the prospective of Samatha, a child who was adopted. The language is simplistic and entertaining. For example, the narrator provides a child-like interpretation as to how babies are born. The narration of this story is great because it allows children to become connected to the narrator. For example, the narrator says, “you can call me Sam for short.” Sam gives a detailed description of her room. She even provi ...more
Jacquelyn
Nov 20, 2008 Jacquelyn rated it it was amazing
Genre: Juvenile Picture Book Reading level: Ages 3-8
This is a book provides a joyful way to open a dialogue about adoption. Samantha, you can call her Sam for short, was adopted by her new family when she was a tiny baby. She uses this delightful picture book format to tell you her story. She begins with a brief, but realistic lesson on how babies are born. She then describes the adoption process and her family’s delight in receiving their child. Short sentences and fun full color drawings allow
Michel Butler
How I Was Adopted is a children’s book by Joanna Cole that tells the story of a young girl named Sam. The narrator recaps the story her parents told her about how she was adopted at birth, including a very simplistic and age appropriate explanation of how babies are born. As a literacy teacher, I would use this text to discuss adoption in a fun way, as well as touch on the subject of how babies are born. I believe students would use this text as a gateway to begin thinking and talking about thei ...more
Tara Mensing
Sep 24, 2013 Tara Mensing rated it really liked it
This is the author of the Magic School Bus books! This book is useful in helping children who were adopted, understand how their adoption happened. I found it helpful that the biological mother was referred to as a "woman" instead of another "mother" which could be confusing to the children as the word "mother" carries such a heavy emotional attachment. The character Sam, talks directly to the child out of the book, asking questions like: "Are you adopted too?". The book was also well liked by t ...more
Allison Simpson
Mar 05, 2015 Allison Simpson rated it it was amazing
This book is about a girl name Sam who was adopted. She tells the story about how she came to be with her parents and how happy she is. Adoption is a very complicated subject to talk about but after reading "How I was Adopted" Sam explained the steps in a way that children are able to understand. She talks about her emotions and how she feels about certain things allowing young children to become aware of what some of their classmates might feel like. The illustrations are priceless and correspo ...more
Andrice
Feb 25, 2013 Andrice rated it it was amazing
This book is about a little girl named Sam that was adopted from birth and learns of her unique story. Her parents give her a step by step, very detailed recap of what happened in her life. The book is amazing in the illustrations of how babies are born and the writer does a great job of giving explanations that are relatable to children. The book encourages children to learn their own stories of how they were born and heavily expresses that all children are different so no two stories will be t ...more
Mina Lee
Oct 11, 2015 Mina Lee rated it really liked it
Shelves: adoption
"I love my mommy and daddy, and they love me. They play with me. They take care of me. And they give me lots of hugs and kisses!"

First of all, the illustrations in this book are absolutely adorable and very visual! The book has a beginning section where it gives tips to adoptive parents, to accept all questions that the child may have and help them to understand that everyone has their own special life story to tell. This book can serve as a great book for parents and children to learn from it a
Sarah George
This book tells the story of a young girl explaining how she was adopted. Although, it might be a good choice to introduce the idea of adoption to a child, it's gives an anatomical explanation of birth (even uses the word 'uterus') and uses very simplistic language. Not a very interesting storyline, but it is definitely a learning and comprehension experience for kids. The art is incredibly detailed even though the words are not; the illustrations tell much of the story. So bravo to the artist!
Lori
Jun 05, 2013 Lori rated it really liked it
When my daughter was very little (i.e. before she could read) I actually never read the actual text of this book to her...I would substitute our adoption story to go along with the pictures. So it was a good tool to introduce the concept of adoption to our kids.

Not as whimsical and sweet as Jamie Lee Curtis' "Tell Me Again About the Night I was Born" but still a wonderful book to open the dialogue about adoption with children.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Joanna Cole includes a few notes to parents featured in the front of the book. I especially liked her emphasis that each adopted has their own story and this book is just a way to help families and children talk about their stories.

The story is direct, almost factual-like but also addresses that love was the guiding force in the adoption process. I enjoyed the illustrations. Reminded me of Bob Graham's work.
Real Supergirl
Mar 29, 2016 Real Supergirl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, adoption
This is a great book about adoption. It's clear and concrete, which makes it easy for kids as young as three and four to follow along and ask questions.

What I love most about it is the narrative style - because the narrator is constantly talking to the reader, it engages the child very naturally in telling their own adoption story - thus very clearly communicating that there are so many different adoption stories to tell - as many adoption stories as there are adoptees, in fact.
Karen
Aug 05, 2008 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: adoption
This book has a front section for parents about having discussions with your adopted child. Within the story are a few questions for your child to answer like "how old were you when you were adopted?" There is a technical discussion of the birthmom including pictures of a uterus and talk about push-push-pushing.
Brittany N
Jan 27, 2012 Brittany N rated it liked it
A young girl named Amanda shares the story of how she was adopted. Amanda’s parents adopted her when she was born. She loves both of her parents very much and is happy with their decision to adopt. At the end of the book Amanda encourages other young children that were adopted to find out their adoption story. This book would be great when discussing families.
Suzie
Apr 28, 2016 Suzie rated it it was ok
This book caught my eye because my four year old loves asking questions about our puppy and where his real family is. This book went into a little more detail than we were all prepared for, including uteri! It was also written for an adopted child, so our son was pretty confused by that perspective.
Tiffany Young
Apr 13, 2012 Tiffany Young rated it really liked it
Shelves: family
A young girl named Amanda shares the story of how she was adopted. This book would be good to use if there are students in your class who have been adopted. It could also be included in a unit on family types/family structures.
Megan Rowland
Jan 11, 2012 Megan Rowland rated it really liked it
Shelves: diversity
Have children who were adopted in your class? This is a good book for them to read. Also, this is a book to read in front of the whole class if they are having questions about their classmate being adopted.
Andrea Retana
Oct 28, 2012 Andrea Retana rated it really liked it
Shelves: 100-books, adoption
This book would teach children that families can be different. Encourage children to learn their own story, how they were born and how bless they are for being adopted. It is a narrative, informative, and humorous book.
Lorraine Robinson
This book can be used for:
- explainig adoption
- difernet families
- personal narrative
- information about babies
April Helms
Jan 23, 2008 April Helms rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children
A great book for children who are adopted, or for children who may have a friend or classmate who has been adopted.
Lindsay Livingston sonntag
Feb 25, 2015 Lindsay Livingston sonntag rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-class
This book would be great for any kid trying to figure out how the adoption process works. Great for kids that have been adopted themselves or are just trying to understand.
Kelley Mcalhany
Dec 06, 2010 Kelley Mcalhany added it
Shelves: family
Great book for student who may be adopted in your class, or just to infor your students that families are different
Geri
Aug 20, 2008 Geri rated it really liked it
This book goes into some detail about anatomy and the birthing process. Seems best for school-age children. Wonderful to use as a discussion-starting tool.
Adoption Books
Jan 31, 2011 Adoption Books rated it really liked it
good, despite the fact that it uses 'uterus' multiple times (who says that when talking to kids?) and has some awesome birthing pics. still, definitely worth buying.
Marianne
Marianne rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2015
Meagan
Meagan rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Dana
Dana rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2008
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2011
Vidushi Chaudhry
Vidushi Chaudhry rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2015
Megan Garbe
Megan Garbe rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2015
Takla
Takla rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Joanna Cole who also writes under the pseudonym B. J. Barnet is an author of children’s books who teaches science.

She is most famous as the author of The Magic School Bus series of children's books. Joanna Cole has written over 250 books ranging from her first book Cockroach to her famous series Magic School Bus.

Cole was born in Newark, New Jersey, and grew up in nearby East Orange. She loved scie
More about Joanna Cole...