Start by marking “FreakAngels, Tome 1” as Want to Read:
FreakAngels, Tome 1

FreakAngels, Tome 1 (FreakAngels #1)

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  2,751 Ratings  ·  168 Reviews
Voici 23 ans, douze enfants anglais sont nés exactement au même moment. Il y a 5 ans, le monde a connu une fin tragique. « Freakangels » raconte la suite. Dans le quartier de Whitechapel, onze des douze enfants ont reconstitué une petite communauté sur laquelle ils veillent, bien aidés par leurs pouvoirs télépathiques. Car le danger rôde : des survivants désireux de piller ...more
Published June 11th 2010 by Le Lombard (first published August 15th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about FreakAngels, Tome 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about FreakAngels, Tome 1

Jan Philipzig
The Apocalypse... Done Right!

“23 years ago, twelve strange children were born in England at exactly the same time.
6 years ago, the world ended.
This is the story of what happened next.”

That’s how it all starts, and then hints are dropped that those twelve strange children may somehow be responsible for the end of the world as we know it: they felt radical change was needed...

I read this first volume once before several years ago and liked it a lot, but my library back then did not have the other
Feb 06, 2013 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

"The best non-zombie post-apocalyptic coming-of-age-story I've read all year."

This is why I suck at blurbs. It's also the reason I'm entering a hyphen-addiction program.

Simply said, I loved this series.

1. It started quickly and managed to do the near-impossible: namely, introduce twelve main characters pretty much all together while still making each of them distinct and interesting.

2. It was well-balanced. Fun yet still serious. Not everyone was a goody-goody, but the story wasn't oppr
Aug 16, 2016 Donovan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookstore

What a brilliant comic. Warren Ellis is really piquing my interest after having read Transmetropolitan. The two aren't comparable, but this is a great post-apoc steampunk story with cool gadgets, mystery, and quirky characters.

"KK's off shagging half-humans from Lambeth, Connor's taking in waifs and strays, Sirkka's committed crimes against nature, Kirk's up in the tower all day, Karl's in a tinfoil hat talking to his strawberries, and that's half of us."

It's fun, humorous, poignant, and violen
May 08, 2012 Sesana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The world ended six years ago. London is a flooded mess. What happened? I'm not sure yet, but it has something to do with the FreakAngels, their powers, and their strange connection. There's superhumans, a dystopian setting, great dialog, stunning art, and enough suspense left at the end of the volume that I'm eager to keep going. And it's available free online, which is a huge plus.

Freakangels is about a group of twelve naturally genetically-improved children with psychic capabilities.

The FreakAngels control an area of London's Whitechapel-based community of post-apocalypse survivors and with their psychic powers they protect the community against rival gangs.

The best thing about FreakAngels is the brilliant dialogue. All the characters are at the same time extremely fleshed out, have a lot depth to them and are full of secrets we yet have to find out.

If you're a fan of
Mar 19, 2012 Brandon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brandon by: Alaina
Shelves: comix, after-the-end, 2012
Warren Ellis has been actually on my to-read list for the last year or so with his novel Crooked Little Vein. I've been given books and purchasing books at a rapid rate so his novel has been pushed to the back burner constantly. However, when Alaina recommended this graphic novel to me and I had noticed his name pasted on the cover, I was pretty excited that I could squeeze it in.

Twenty-three years ago, twelve children were born in England with strange abilities. 6 years ago, the world ended. Wh
Strip sam našao na nekakvoj listi Rolling Stonea sa najboljim ne-superherojskim stripovima. FreakAngels se može čitati besplatno na istoimenoj stranici, tako da sam otišao samo da provjerim kako izgleda, i odmah sam se zakačio. Mislim, tko ne bi nakon ovakvog otvaranja:

Twenty-three years ago, twelve strange children were born in England at exactly the same moment.
Six years ago, the world ended.
This is the story of what happened next.

Postapokaliptična priča o 12 mladih telepata nije nešto što
Sam Quixote
Mar 17, 2012 Sam Quixote rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
12 babies were born at the same time 23 years ago. The world ended 6 years ago. This is the story of what happened next.

Warren Ellis is a writer able to write one great series after another and despite having read his work for years, for whatever reason "Freakangels" never occurred to me to be a series worth checking out. Having read the first book though, I only wish I'd read it earlier.

The 12 Freakangels (the name of their gang) are 12 weird psychic 23 year olds each with own strange personali
Sep 03, 2009 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This beautifully drawn online comic is set in a post-Apocalyptic London.
It is free, which is nice, although I would be willing to pay to not have the downloading lag time between Every. Friggin'. Page. And they are short pages, only 4 panels each.
FreakAngels is a webcomic written by well known comic book author Warren Ellis. It is dark and graphic at times - as posted on the site, recommended for mature audiences. It is a complete, overarching story spanning six 144 page print trade paperbacks worth of comics and really must be read from the beginning.

FreakAngels Volume 1 opens with the following quote:

"23 years ago, twelve strange children were born in England at exactly the same moment.
This is the story of
Apr 01, 2012 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Imagine: it took the end of the world to create the conditions for the human race to move forward into time on their own terms."

What always amazes and entertains me to the point of glee when reading works by Ellis is the fully-formed and usually a little dysfunctional relationships that inhabit these worlds he creates. The Freakangels "family" is a bunch of twenty-something narcissists and anti-heroes all looking for ways to enjoy or fix the world that they apparently "broke" a few years ago. T
Maria Kramer
I dipped into the webcomic years ago, and just recently was reminded that this exists. And it's great! This volume does a good job setting everything up - the post-apocalyptic world, the characters, their powers, their conflicts. I'm really looking forward to seeing where it goes.
Tatyana Naumova
Очень приятный полузатопленный мир.
Max Maxwell
Jan 02, 2010 Max Maxwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of post-apocalyptic lit
Recommended to Max by: Mike Romard
Warren Ellis has written something of a minor steampunk(-ish) masterpiece here.

This particular volume concentrates on introducing the characters, twelve 23-year-old UK psychics who destroyed the world, "six years ago," by simply concentrating on it hard enough. Now they've set up fort in the London district of Whitechapel, providing shelter from bloodthirsty gangs to refugees from the English countryside. Each has pale skin and violet eyes, and a sardonic, temperamental disposition seems to be c
Austen Rodgers
Aug 30, 2016 Austen Rodgers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I chose this graphic novel to review and study as an example for a comic class this last month, and let me say, I was enthralled. Admittedly, I was pretty interested and eager to read it before I picked it up, but Warren Ellis still managed to surpass my already high expectations. The art is great, and the book leaves you wanting more. I'll definitely be picking up the sequels, and I'd recommend this novel if you are in search for something new.
Sep 10, 2016 Mykola rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, en
Постапокаліпсис і телепатія.
Не скажу, що я в захваті, але, коли закінчилась перша частина, подумав — а що далі?

Дія розгортається в частині затопленого Лондона. В чомусь на зразок комуни, яку охороняють ФрікАнгели. Життя спільноти знаходиться переважно за кадром. А в кадрі — чуваки з надздібностями, які, начебто, і спричинили апокаліпсис 6 років тому. Як, що сталося — неясно. Ясно що вони мають різні характери, різні здібності, і не всі друзі-друзі. Хоча, певно, колись були.

Artemiy Nizovtsev
Sep 09, 2015 Artemiy Nizovtsev rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, 5stars, avatar
I've been a big fan of Warren Ellis pretty much since I've started reading comics, as one of the first series I've read was Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E. Ultimate Collection. And yet, for some reason, even though I knew it should be good, I have delayed reading Freakangels for a very long time. Well, I finally got around to it and man, do I enjoy the hell out of this story. The guy basically manages to introduce more than a dozen distinct characters and their complex relationships between each ot ...more
Jan 03, 2013 Kayleigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kayleigh by: Found it online almost two years ago, finally getting around to actually reading it
6 years ago, the world ended.
This is the story of what happened next."

So begins the story of the FreakAngels, a group of dysfunctional young adults who, in the wake of an unnamed catastrophe, guard the drowned ruins of Whitechapel against invasion and looting by would-be attackers from other "territories." But the fragile life they've built starts to crumble when word of an old friend-turned-enemy arrives via
Marie Graßhoff
Feb 03, 2013 Marie Graßhoff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bisher ziemlich interessant! Ich bin wirklich froh, mich dazu entschieden zu haben, die Reihe zu beginnen; wenn auch nur erst einmal online (und legal.) Wenn mir der zweite Band aber auch gut gefällt, dann lege ich mir die gedruckte Version sicherlich auch bald zu!
Im ersten Band werden vor allem erst einmal die verschiedenen Charaktere und das, was sie so machen, vorgestellt. Obwohl es bisher praktisch schon 12 Hauptcharaktere gibt, fiel es mir überraschend leicht, mit jedem von ihnen Charakterz
Jan 07, 2009 Susanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ellis fans
Shelves: graphic-novels
Hmmmm, I love me my post-apocalypse. Especially in London. I see people have been meh-ing about the concept, and I will admit that it isn't entirely new, but I do like the idea that even though we have this group of super-empowered ninja telepaths looking after the "normal" people, they're actually quite believable people. Their extreme sense of responsibility doesn't start making sense until it's hinted that they were in some way responsible for the current state of the world, but once it does, ...more
Ms. Library
So this was not entirely what I expected, but I kind of want to get the second one now. Its violent and strange and about the end of the world and violet eyed pale people who made it end, and there's a lot of unanswered questions, but its also really interesting so. I don't know.
Karen Mardahl
Mar 15, 2015 Karen Mardahl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I should have added more substance than just stars, but this is the start of a series, so I am reluctant to say much at all. I will say that I stumbled across it by chance in the library, and I am very pleased I picked it up. I am intrigued to see where this goes.
Feb 11, 2016 Vilim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I like this one so far. Post-apocalypse with multiple interesting characters. Setting is interesting and it will be amusing to see how thing will develop. Art could be better to be honest but story is amusing and that's the most important.
Sep 13, 2016 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I have mixed feelings about Duffield's art, but I'm intrigued by the large cast, the world-building, and the central mystery. Volume 2 is already ordered and on its way.
Matt Chic
meh. 11 post-apocalypitc telepaths/best friends fight and argue with each other for an entire graphic novel.

i didn't hate this but didn't really like it. the dialogue was really getting to me after a while. if i had the read that girl say 'fooking' this or 'fooking' that one more time... i get it. she has an accent and swears a lot. COOL!

the art was nice sometimes, and ugly at others. duffield's stuff is like a mix between josh middleton and the luna bros.

the softcover is out by the way. if yer
2.5 stars.

Graphic novels are not a format that I'm particularly familiar with. The only graphic novels that I've ever read before are the ones based on the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead, but they hardly count as they're an adaptation of a novel and I only read them because I was collecting all things VA at the time. Aside from that, graphic novels have never really appealed to me. I'm a person who much prefers the written word to any visual form of storytelling. Part of the magic of re
Found this one on Kelly's Top 5 list and enjoyed the pants off it!!! Am waiting for vols 2 and 3 to turn up from the North Shore libraries. Great art, excellent ensemble cast piece, and an interesting set-up. The characters really make this one for me, and their snarky, feuding-family dialogue.
Jul 14, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Post-apocalyptic England. Group of people who are psychic. Lovely art-work. Cool sense of humor. One character who says fooking WAY too much. This series is a good read, I got hooked right away. I like Ellis' style, its crude and witty at the same time.

Edit: I forgot to mention, this whole series is completely FREE online at www(dot)freakangels(dot)com
Ballard's Drowned World, Village of the Damned, and a Miyazaki film all in one lovable post-apocalyptic bundle. Available online in its entirety(ongoing)
Webcomic Wonderland: May-June 2015: FreakAngels (NSFW) 1 7 Apr 24, 2015 09:07AM
Comic books/Graph...: May: Freakangels, Volume 1 5 8 May 21, 2013 04:18AM
Webcomic Wonderland: January-FreakAngels WARNING NSFW 15 21 Jan 11, 2013 08:02PM
  • The Phoenix Requiem (The Phoenix Requiem #1)
  • Rice Boy
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Heirs of the Storm (Girl Genius, #9)
  • Dreamless
  • The Fox Sister Chapter 1: Little Sister (The Fox Sister, #1)
  • Echo: Atomic Dreams (Echo, #2)
  • Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 4: Materia (Gunnerkrigg Court #4)
  • Johnny Wander, Vol. 1: Don't Burn the House Down
  • Questionable Content, Vol. 1
  • Namesake, Volume 1
  • Queen and Country: The Definitive Edition, Vol. 1
  • Lackadaisy: Volume #1
  • Atomic Robo and the Dogs of War (Atomic Robo, #2)
Warren Ellis is the award-winning writer of graphic novels like TRANSMETROPOLITAN, FELL, MINISTRY OF SPACE and PLANETARY, and the author of the NYT-bestselling GUN MACHINE and the “underground classic” novel CROOKED LITTLE VEIN. The movie RED is based on his graphic novel of the same name, its sequel having been released in summer 2013. His graphic novel GLOBAL FREQUENCY is in development at Jerry ...more
More about Warren Ellis...

FreakAngels (6 books)
  • FreakAngels, Volume 2 (FreakAngels, #2)
  • FreakAngels, Volume 3 (FreakAngels, #3)
  • FreakAngels, Volume 4 (FreakAngels, #4)
  • FreakAngels, Volume 5 (FreakAngels, #5)
  • FreakAngels, Volume 6 (FreakAngels, #6)

“What if I left my memory in the future and I have to catch up to it?” 7 likes