Out of the Way! Out of the Way!

Out of the Way! Out of the Way!

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  24 reviews
A young boy spots a baby tree growing in the middle of a dusty path in his village. He carefully places rocks around it as the local mango seller rushes past shouting, “Out of the way! Out of the way!” As the tree grows bigger, people and animals traverse the path until it becomes a lane, flowing like a river around the tree — getting out of its way. Over time, the lane be...more
Paperback, English, 24 pages
Published 2010 by Tulika

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Way! Out of the Way!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of the Way! Out of the Way!

The Lorax by Dr. SeussThe Great Kapok Tree by Lynne CherryOwl Moon by Jane YolenThe Carrot Seed by Ruth KraussUno's Garden by Graeme Base
"Green" Picture Books
93rd out of 136 books — 86 voters
The Lorax by Dr. SeussThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinThe Great Kapok Tree by Lynne CherryThe Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree by Stan BerenstainA Tree Is Nice by Janice May Udry
Picture Books About Trees
29th out of 103 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Wonderful picture book.
The story captures the breadth of past, present, and future in just a few words as a boy who protected a tiny tree growing in a dusty path observes how both the path (which becomes a road) and the sapling (which becomes a towering tree) and those who pass by on the road and the animals visit the tree all make room for each other.
A great book about urban growth, India, and getting along with others.

The Indian folk art style pictures are a delight and authentically show Indi...more
Xin Luan
In this lyrical story, a tree grow up, going with the development of the village. This tree was planted by a boy in the middle of a dusty path. While the village became more and more busy,and the street became a road, the tree became a giant. I like the style of the pictures. The illustrations, in pen-and-ink with vibrant blocks of color, have a traditional Indian folk-art feel.
This is a great book to read aloud in class. Maybe, it is also perfect to timeline work. Let students list timelines a...more
Danielle Butler
I thought it was unique how the author and illustrator have almost identical names on this book. The aspect of this book that stood out most to me is the illustrations. I love how bright and colorful they are. Some figures in the illustrations are still black and white which adds uniqueness to the drawings. I feel like this techniques creates a flow when looking at the pages.

This book holds an "Outstanding International" award. Referring to the www.usbby.org webite, the books with this awards s...more
Barbara
A boy protects a seedling that grows into a tree that provides sustenance and respite from the rapidly-growing city that springs up around it. Despite the busy lives the passersby lead, they still stop once in awhile to spend time under the tree, replenishing their energy and savoring its beauty. I like the across the generations nature of the story and the fact that even cities can contain quiet natural sanctuaries. The primary-color-filled illustrations appeal to the senses as well. Because of...more
Jennifer Leigh
A story about how, even as time elapses, some things grow and stay the same.
Meg
This colorful folk art book gives the reader a view of the diversity of life in India. The illustrator has used pen and ink with the addition of vibrant colors to enhance the words. The text chronicles the ways that a path around a tree changes through many years from single path to a busy village road. The tree begins as a young sapling and grows into a huge tree. The people in the story gather near and under it so that they still can enjoy the life of a splendid example of nature. USBBY Outst...more
A little boy sees a tree sprouting out of the ground and does everything he can to ensure it grows. As it grows larger and larger we see the town evolve around it. A sweet story that would do best read aloud. I can see using it as a teaching tool to talk about communities and ecology. I am not a huge fan of the illustrations. I think had the story been illustrated better it would have brought more life to the book. My 8 yr old didn't have too much too comment on with this story.
Yali Books
This lovely little book is beautifully illustrated. There is so much detail in the images that I found new things with every read. The story revolves around a tree planted in the center of a village path. As the path expands to become a track, a street and finally, a busy road, the tree grows peacefully in the middle, reminding bustling travelers to stop and listen. The story and artwork work together to evoke an idyllic image of village life in India. This book is a keeper!
Robin
Everyone must go "out of the way" of the sapling, that grows to a young tree, to a mature tree. A path develops around the tree, then into a road, as travelrs go "out of the way." As the tree grows it provides shade, a home for birds and other animals, a place to picnic, or to rest and think. Beautiful bright colored illustrations.

Set in India; definite sense of place and culture.
Kate Hastings
Grades K-4. Beautiful art from India-- a man plants a seed, which eventually grows into a tree-- a slow beautiful process that can only be appreciated by those who take the time to slow down. Also shows the process of the country growing into a city, and of newer technologies being adopted. Shows wildlife attracted to mature trees. Might be fun for a timeline assignment
Samantha
A lyrical story set in India about the changes to a small village as it becomes a bustling metropolis. At the heart of the story is a tree that grows from a small sapling into a big beautiful tree. Illustrations are pen and ink with vibrant colors in traditional Indian folk-art syles.
Tracie
Colorful and delightfully busy illustrations inspired by Indian folk-art complement this lyrical tale about a tiny sapling that gradually becomes a magnificent tree, a sleepy village that gradually becomes a bustling metropolis, and the way stories bring people together.
Edward Sullivan
A tree becomes a respite for people caught up in the hustle and bustle of everyday life. A charming story about appreciating the value of slowness in a fast-moving world beautifully illustrated in traditional Indian folk art styles.
I like this picture book, but I'm not sure where I would use it. It might work well for a nature theme for older preschoolers and up. It reminds me of the pictures books and beginning reader books from the 40s and 50s. Very nice!
Karen Arendt
The story of a tree planted in the middle of a dirt path in Inda that grows as the town changes from a dirt path to a busy street. The illustrations are simple yet boldly colorful.
Anastasia Tuckness
Sweet tale about a small lane in India that becomes a road. Shows the passage of time. Will be loved by children who like lots of details in pictures, a la Where's Waldo.
Emily
A covert warning about nature deficit disorder. What would our cities, our lives, be without trees and their invitation to stop and "just be" for a while?
Julie Esanu
A great book to examine changes over time set in India. Reminiscent of Shel Silverstein's The Giving Tree and Virginia Burton's The Little House.
Mjstroup
I was blown away by this books illustrations. They were so detailed and involved and contributed to the story I can't imagine the story without it!
A.C.E. Bauer
I loved the illustrations!! The story is sweet and simple, and thanks to the illustrations, each page is worth poring over.
Rita
A great story to remind us how important it is to slow down and enjoy life.
Donalyn
A dusty road and a sapling mark the passage of time.
Barb Middleton
Shows how the city grows around a tree.
Angie
The pictures are spetacular!!!!!!
Pooja
Pooja added it
Jul 16, 2014
Ellen
Ellen added it
Jun 29, 2014
Jessica Freebairn
Jessica Freebairn marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Grand Plan to Fix Everything Monsoon The Happiest Tree: A Yoga Story The Girl of the Wish Garden: A Thumbelina Story Naming Maya