Start by marking “A Heart for Home (Home to Blessing, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Heart for Home (Home to Blessing, #3)

A Heart for Home (Home to Blessing #3)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  637 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Astrid Bjorklund is on the Red Bud Indian Reservation in South Dakota trying to stop the horrific epidemic that is ravaging the tribe. The elders are suspicious of her, but when they see some of their people beginning to recover, they allow Astrid to continue caring for the sick and to train others to help. She is overwhelmed by this need so close to home and wonders if th ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 18th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Heart for Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Heart for Home

Until That Distant Day by Jill StenglThe Redemption by MaryLu TyndallThe Blue Enchantress by MaryLu TyndallA Dream Not Imagined by Shantelle Mary HannuRose's Pledge by Sally Laity
Great Christian Romances
99th out of 104 books — 9 voters
Leaper by Geoffrey  WoodThe God Cookie by Geoffrey  WoodThe Jewel Trilogy by Hallee BridgemanGreater Than Rubies by Hallee BridgemanSapphire Ice by Hallee Bridgeman
Best Christian Fiction Novel
221st out of 223 books — 86 voters

More lists with this book...

Victor Gentile
I had the privilege of interviewing Lauraine Snelling, on our radio show "Kingdom Highlights", for her new book, "A Heart For Home" Book Three in the Home To Blessing series published by Bethany House.

This book picks up with Astrid Bjorklund and her friends on the Rosebud Indian Reservation in South Dakota valiantly trying to stop the measles outbreak that the tribe was dying from. As the only doctor the strain is harder on her but the need is great and there are but a few of them to help. I am
Allison
Instead of writing a review for this one single book, I am going to write a review here for all of her Bjorklund series'. (Red River of the North, Return to Red River, Daughters of Blessing, and Home to Blessing.)

Premise 4 of 5

I enjoyed Snelling's YA books, and also liked her Secret Refuge series, and decided to try this series, too. I definitely had high hopes for those books.

Plot 4 of 5

I'll be honest, but the plots of those books are not can't-put-it-down type of storylines. They cover the eve
Regina Spiker
The story opens with Dr. Astrid Bjorkland tending the Indians, dying from disease and starvation on a reservation in South Dakota, a place where she believes God has sent her. When she finally arrives back home in Blessing, North Dakota, Astrid comes to the conclusion that she can not marry the man who has been courting her - for he can not understand that she is first and foremost a doctor and on top of it, he carries a deep bitterness towards the Indians. Meanwhile, the town of Blessing is gro ...more
Krista Jensen
I am SO sad to be completely finished with this entire series of books chronicling the lives of the Bjorkland family of Blessing, North Dakota. I wish it could just continue to go on and on. I feel like I am going to miss my old friends when I can no longer open a book and catch up with them. I thoroughly enjoyed every single book from beginning to end! I highly recommend them to anyone looking for for a good historical Christian fiction read.
Becky B
This book wraps up the Home to Blessing series. Astrid & Elizabeth begin to see some of their dreams for healthcare in the area realized. Building is booming and more people are invited to Blessing by Thorliff and his team to help with all the construction on things like the hospital and seeder factory. Ingeborg has to learn to trust her loved ones to her heavenly Father. Joshua has to surrender his dreams of marrying Astrid to God, and Astrid must trust God to provide the right man for her. ...more
Allan67
Another book read to the wife. She loves to be read to, she always has. Reading is one of the few things that we can do together after her stroke.

A Heart for Home is the third of three books in this series. It is good to read this series in order for the complete experience of the story

Without giving away too many details, this book begins with Astrid, her father and others traveling to the Indian Reservation to take supplies and medical aid to the Indians living there. It continues on to the de
Karen
I am sad and glad to say good bye to the people of Blessing. I have enjoyed all four series of book about this town and its' families.
Jeanette Fallon
Hated to see series end. Enjoyed it!
Jodi
Sverre
This is the sixteenth book of Snelling's Bjorklund/Red River/Blessing saga, covering a quarter century timeline, which started with the Red River of the North series of six books, followed by the Return to Red River trilogy, the Daughters of Blessing quartet, and concluded with the Home to Blessing trilogy. For me it has been a long but enjoyable trek, despite some of the author's inconsistencies, inadequate research on some topics and her inauthentic naming of Norwegians (strange first name spe ...more
Amanda Kroeschel
Dorrice
With great regret I must say farewell to the good people of Blessing, ND. The series (beginning with Red River of the North) spanned the time two Norwegian families decided to leave Norway and find new opportunities in the American West to more than 20 years later when the town of Blessing (so named because it was a blessing to its people)was growing almost exponentially. All because those lovely people understood the concept of working together and cooperating with each other.

Add to that the wo
Douglas & Carolyn Brown
Wonderful Read

I have read all of Lauraine Snelling's books, and enjoyed each one in the different series. They move right along, have mystery, love and romance, family closeness and keep the reader interested. I recommend this book to anyone who is into wholesome reading.
Shannon Winslow
Although I enjoyed this book, it wasn't the best of the series and failed to fully live up to my high expectations. It seemed a little scattered, lacking clear direction and purpose. Even near the end, when it should have been building to a glorious culmination, events seemed almost random. And I found the way the love story line concluded less than satisfying. Still, I give it 4 stars, based more on the series as a whole rather than this single volume. I appreciate stories about ordinary people ...more
Kim
My favorite of the series. this series dragged for me but I did like this book. A clean author. I like the time period.
Dani
A Heart for Home is the 16th book about the good people of Blessing, ND, and possibly the last. If so, I think that Lauraine Snelling ended on a good note. There was nothing shocking in the plot, but it was comforting to spend some time in that city again. If you've read all the other books in the series, then reading this one is like visiting your hometown and catching up on all the news.
Jodi
Well Astrid was off and running again in this book. She was sent to an Indian Reservation to help with the measles. Alot of death occurred and she helped alot. Her father and two other men from her town came to help. She told Joshua that he could not court her and that he would never be able to. Joshua, Toby and Daniel all found local girls to court. One of them being Astrid. The new hospital was built and dedicated. New homes and new people were pouring into the town on the promise of work.
Rachel
This book was OK, but I had a lot of difficulty keeping track of the characters and the mix of Norwegian dialogue was confusing. I didn't feel like it was historically accurate, i.e. the use of telephone and indoor plumbing. Although South Dakota (not North Dakota) did have the highest percentage of telephone lines during that time period, the cost would have been prohibitive to use it as frequently as the characters in the story did. This took a lot away from the story for me.
Debra Scott
I don't want to leave Blessing ND!!
Krissie
reservation help with epidemic
Shawn
Sue
I've been reading the Red River of the North series (and all the spin-offs) for three years now. The books have spanned 24 years of these characters' lives. So when I read one of these books, it is more like a family reunion or visit with old friends. This wasn't the best book in the series but you can't expect every family reunion to be the best either. Still a wonderful read.
Alyssa
This was, IMO, the best book of the series since: a) I finally knew who everyone was and what they did, b) it had a nice though rather transparent plot, and c) a good ending without a cliff hanger. What more can you want in a book than a nice not too fluffy romance, interesting plot, and a good ending (action I suppose would add something more, but this isn't that type of book).
Amy
Well I have enjoyed this series and am glad it is at an end. I liked the book. I thought she wrapped up the end a little to quickly and some of the characters that she had built up through the series just never reappeared in this last book and I wondered what happened and where they went, but it was a good read! Thanks for the clean stories of romance Lauraine!
Cassey Mikaari teshika
i really love this light reading storybook. astrid's focus has made me see God more than anything else in this world.
Linda
I didn't like this book as well as the others in the series. It was a little slow at times and these are slow paced books anyways. But it was nice to have a conclusion to the series. Can't wait for Lauraine Snellings new series in November. This one dragged on a little too long.
Mel Barnes

Thank heavens that this book ended the way I realistically thought it should. I was really thinking the author was going to go against the struggle and be completely pushy but that's not what happened. It followed a realistic path and I'm happy. Good read.
Jennifer Jerles
Leslie
Reading this series is like visiting family. I hated to see the series wrap up, but yet I can see the need to after so many different groups of books involving the same family.

Looking forward to reading the prequel that tells of Ingeborg's life.
Kati
Another great book about the people I feel as though I can call friends, the Bjorklands and their neighbors in Blessing, North Dakota. I have loved all of the books in all 4 of the series that have revolved around these characters.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jan 04, 2015 09:09AM
  • More Than Words (Daughters of Amana, #2)
  • Hearts Aglow (Striking a Match, #2)
  • Courting Miss Amsel (Heart of the Prairie #6)
  • Wild Heather (English Ivy, #2)
  • The Courtship
  • Sweet Sanctuary
  • The Wonder of Your Love (Land of Canaan #2)
Lauraine Snelling is the award-winning author of over seventy books, with sales of more than 2 million copies.

She also writes for a wide range of magazines, and helps others reach their writing dreams by teaching at writers’ conferences across the country.

Lauraine and her husband, Wayne, have two grown sons, and live in the Tehachapi Mountains with a watchdog Basset named Winston.

They love to tra
More about Lauraine Snelling...

Home to Blessing (3 books)
  • A Measure of Mercy (Home to Blessing, #1)
  • No Distance Too Far (Home to Blessing, #2)
Ruby (Dakotah Treasures, #1) Pearl (Dakotah Treasures, #2) An Untamed Land (Red River of the North, #1) A Promise for Ellie (Daughters of Blessing, #1) Opal (Dakotah Treasures, #3)

“too. “Grandma makes the best pies.” “Me pie too.” Carl banged his” 0 likes