Start by marking “More Than a Skeleton” as Want to Read:
More Than a Skeleton

More Than a Skeleton (Jonathan Weber)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  277 ratings  ·  28 reviews
What if Jesus made an unexpected appearance before His final coming?

Joshua Ben-Yosef attracts a huge following. He was born in Nazareth to parents named Mary and Joseph and speaks more than a dozen languages--fluently and without accent. His words ripple with wisdom and authority. And the crowds that follow him are enthralled as he heals the sick, gives sight to the blind,
Published January 17th 2005 by Thomas Nelson (first published October 14th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about More Than a Skeleton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Than a Skeleton

Jeanie
I have to say the first part of this book, was a 2 star, however, towards the end, the story redeemed itself. A bible scholar with a Lutheran background was the main character. It brought current events into the story with actual people, which I think was the authors purpose to make the story seem real. However, I was not fond of how for example "The Left Behind Series" was protrayed. Not that I think the Left Behind Series is doctrinally correct, however, I felt like it was a snub of some kind. ...more
Rosesayer
Disappointed! I did not finish it. I enjoyed his first book, A Skeleton in God's Closet, and was looking forward to others in the series. However in the beginning of this book, the main character Jon, launches into a diatribe which ridicules those who are interested in End Times Prophecy, or believe in the literal return of Christ, the Rapture and the Tribulation or any combination thereof. He could have approached the subject differently, for example pointing out that there are different views ...more
Pattyrflg
Dr. Jonathan Weber and his lovely wife Shannon are back in Isreal. Shannon is finishing details related to her last archeological dig and Jonathan is a guest lecturer at the university. Stories of an interesting man named Joshua Ben-Josef begin to surface. He is performing miracles, has 12 followers in his inner circle and his teaching is reminiscent of Jesus. Once Jonathan and Shannon meet Joshua, Shannon quickly believes Joshua's assertions that he is Jesus and God has sent him for an interim ...more
Heather Palmer
May 30, 2009 Heather Palmer marked it as to-read
Jonathan Weber was at the helm of an action-packed archaeological dig in A Skeleton in God's Closet. Now, in More Than a Skeleton, Dr. Weber plays an integral part in the investigation of what is either a convincing, dangerous hoax or the return of Christ.

When Joshua Ben-Yosef, an Israeli from Galilee-born in Nazareth to parents Mary and Joseph-begins assembling twelve followers, attracting crowds, and performing miracles, the world takes notice. Could Dr. Melvin Merton, well-known leader and au
Gloria
Mar 31, 2015 Gloria rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone; people who enjoy "What if"
Shelves: hardcopy, duncan-ga, own
Mr. Maier presents a very intriguing premise. The book follows Jonathan Weber. The setting has multiple references to current culture in the early 2000's, including the Left Behind series (by LaHaye and Jenkins), Pope Benedict, and while cell phones are mentioned, "smartphones" are not.

The plot has multiple references to "A Skeleton in God's Closet", but can be read on its own. The detailing is very thorough, so the reader may feel a bit bogged down in the day to day living of Mr. Weber before
William Dicks
"More Than a Skeleton" plays with the idea of what if... What if Jesus made an interim return to earth between His first and second comings in order to set things straight. Father God is not happy with how things are going with the church on earth and sends Jesus back to earth to set the church straight. While many are absolutely overjoyed with this interim return, there are those who claim that this newcomer is not Christ. From many angles, this seems exactly like the scribes and Pharisees in t ...more
Gerald Curtis
This was one of the best Biblical themed books I’ve read.

It is about something that could happen in our time and I thought it was totally believable.

I want more of this author!
Jim
The second in Paul Maier's hat trick. If you like a mystery with a theological connection, you'll probably love Paul Maier's novels. Nicely done sir ... again! Recommended!
Judy
A Jesus-wanna-be appears to be genuine. But a religious historian/teacher just can't believe it and proceeds to investigate. Good mystery with religious history.
Mark Matzke
The only thing preventing this from being a five-star rating was the unfortunate "monologuing villain" syndrome (lampooned in "The Incredibles" movie). Also, after being a genuine page-turner, it wraps up a little too quickly; it would've been interesting to explore the faith consequences of those who had been duped by Joshua, but instead, everyone seems to "get over it" awfully quickly. Those quibbles aside, it is neat to read a thriller written from an LCMS perspective, which at the same time ...more
Marcelo
"The Visitation by Frank Peretti" by Paul Maier.

For a while, I could only think of Brandon from the aforementioned Peretti books when I was reading about Joshua Ben Yosef.

Again, a total snooze fest in the literary regard, but at least this one wasn't all about digging in the sand. Still, choppy, wooden dialogue, with a "one too many convenient happenings" villain who is left being just a step too unbelievable.

While it wasn't as horrendous as its predecessor, but I wouldn't suggest it to anyone
Anne
This book asks the question, "What would happen if someone came and said they were Jesus Christ returned to earth." Dr. Jon Weber must decide if this is true or is he is a fake-his wife believes in the man's authenticity, and she and her husband find themselves estranged over Jon's doubt. Everything points to Jesus, the apostles, the cures, the miracles, but are they really?
Marianne
Another offering in the series -- same thing as last time. As I found with A Skeleton in God's Closet, the premise piques my interest and keeps me reading but the dialogue is trite and cheesy, often distractingly so. With smarter writing this series could really be something. As it stands, it's a fun read for the most part while asking some provocative questions.
Rich Brown
After reading the first book in this series, my expectations were very high for this book. Sadly, I was disappointed. The story seemed to drag on to the point where I finally started skimming through it just to get to the end - I hate to just drop a book. Without giving anything away, I'll just say that I get the "who" and "why" but the "how" is a little far-fetched.
Sarah "Mir"
Amazingly well-thought plot. Characters are believable and well done. I'm not generally a fan of religious fiction, but I do like this.
Ashley
I definitely recommend that you read A Skeleton in God's Closet first. The books have basically the same structure, and both are thought-provoking, yet easy reads. I found this a bit less convincing than the original but its worthwhile just to think about how you would react if something like this actually happened.
John Boettcher
I had the pleasure of attending several of Dr. Maier's classes while I was at school at Western Michigan University and so when I found out that he had written some books, obviously I went out and got them, read them, and had them signed. Best fiction writer I ever had for a professor, that is for sure!
Lethornton
I really enjoyed this story and the previous one. It was a fun journey to imagine where I would stand if these events actually happened. There were a few places that were so predictable that I got annoyed that it took so many pages to unfold. Overall, the lead character was likable and interesting.
Frans Karlsson
I liked the way Maier writes and draws you in. It was an interesting topic to write about, Jesus returns, and i think he manages to do it in a good way. I liked the fact that inbetween the storytelling he is asking hard theological questions and does it in a way that is easy to understand.
Susan
Feb 19, 2011 Susan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mostly anyone
Recommended to Susan by: Mom
Another great story from Paul Maier. Edge of your seat theological/archaeological thriller--believe it or not ;) What would happen if Jesus came back, staying ever so quiet up to the age of 30, of course? Could it be? I won't tell...
Sheri Girgenti
Not as good as the first in the series. An easy summer read, but this time the cheesiness of the writing style kind of bugged me. Also, it was quite predictable. And kind of heavy on slams of The Left Behind series.
Kaia
I tried to finish this book but ended up skimming the last 50 pages. It was boring and I never got caught up in it. The author's explanations for the miracles are ridiculous. Just didn't work for me....
Cathi
I liked this one better than "A Skeleton in God's Closet." it really made me stop and think and question how I would react in that situation. Would I believe or would I be a 'Doubting Thomas'?
Sheila
An okay novel about a man who claims to be the returned Jesus. I enjoy Paul Maier's writing, but this was just okay.
Jim
Maier is obviously NOT a dispensationalist, of course I didn't really expect him to be.
Anne Kretzmann
Thought is was okay. the story became predictable towards the end.

Kat
What a great read read this one was!!!
Terry Roemer
Read the books in order.
O. Sainz
O. Sainz marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
  • The Secret of the Forgotten Cave (Nancy Drew, #134)
  • The Warning: The Story Of A Reluctant Prophet Chosen By God
  • Bobbi Brown Beauty
  • Hammer of God
  • The Secret of the Ruby Ring
  • Leaving a Trace: On Keeping a Journal
  • Warhammer 40,000 Rulebook
  • Elisha's Bones
  • They Shall See God (Moving Fiction)
  • The Wealth of Nature: Economics as if Survival Mattered
  • Pokemon Black Version & Pokemon White Version Volume 1: The Official Pokemon Strategy Guide
  • How to Find Flower Fairies
  • Wounded Healer (Homeland Heroes #1)
  • The Faerie Door
  • Complete Scoundrel: A Player's Guide to Trickery and Ingenuity (Dungeons & Dragons d20 3.5 Fantasy Roleplaying)
  • Sword and Fist: A Guidebook to Fighters and Monks (Dungeons & Dragons Accessory)
  • Bo's Café
  • Western Attitudes toward Death: From the Middle Ages to the Present
Paul L. Maier, born May 31, 1930, was the Russell H. Seibert Professor of Ancient History at Western Michigan University. Maier retired in the Spring 2011. He retains the title of professor emeritus in the Department of History at Western Michigan University. He is also a historical novelist, and serves as Second Vice President of the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod.

Maier is the son of Walter A.
More about Paul L. Maier...

Jonathan Weber (3 books)
  • A Skeleton in God's Closet
  • The Constantine Codex
A Skeleton in God's Closet The Flames of Rome Pontius Pilate The Constantine Codex Martin Luther: A Man Who Changed The World