Start by marking “Kiss Me Deadly: 13 Tales of Paranormal Love” as Want to Read:
Kiss Me Deadly: 13 Tales of Paranormal Love

Kiss Me Deadly: 13 Tales of Paranormal Love (13 Tales)

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,480 Ratings  ·  335 Reviews
If you can possibly thirst for more mysterious metaphysical accounts of love, Trisha Telep has organized some of the greatest and most thrilling tales of paranormal paramours since "The Eternal Kiss." She presents the acclaimed literary talent of thirteen unique authors, creating a collection of stories that will undoubtedly capture the imagination of every soul who dares ...more
Published August 1st 2010 by Running Press Book Publishers (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Kiss Me Deadly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kiss Me Deadly

Khalia Hades
Jan 26, 2011 Khalia Hades rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
***SPOILER ALERT!!!***

The Assassin's Apprentice by Michelle Zink - This was actually one of my favorites stories. It deals with vengeance, danger and love. I really hope Ms. Zink will endeavor in creating a series or even a stand-alone about these characters. I'm definitely interested in learning more about them.

Errant by Diana Peterfreund - If you've read Ms. Peterfreund's Rampant, then you'll definitely recognize this world. It's a story about two very different individuals who can find a comm
Greta is Erikasbuddy
The Assasin's Apprentice - Michelle Zink

One of those Warrior Angel stories mingled with a girly who is super smart and talks like she lives in the past but I figure its the future.

Was hard to follow the plot and the romance felt rushed but I guess it has to when its a short story.

I left the story feeling unsatisfied.

2 Stars

Errant - Diana Peterfreund

An interesting take on killer mean blood thirsty marly ugly unicorns. I guess that's how everyone is doing unicorns now-a-days.

Set in a far off time
Lexie
Stories are reviewed individually with a wrap up overall after.

"The Assassin's Apprentice" by Michelle Zink
A young girl wishes vengeance on the demon who slew her parents, but is she being aided or hindered by a mysterious young man named Asher? Obviously, not set in her Prophecy of the Sisters books. That said, everything I loved about PotS remains true here. Rose is not an easy person to get along with--too stubborn as she freely admits and Asher is much too secretive to be trustworthy in my o
Wealhtheow
A collection of stories, some better than the others. Although all concern the para/super/unnatural, not all of them relate to romantic love, or even love in general.

Michelle Zink, "The Assassin's Apprentice." Clunkily written, with poorly developed characters, a mere sketch of a romance, and sprinkled with malapropisms(ex: "They moved silently through the shadows of our world, doing their duty without worldly aplomb or association.")

Diana Peterfreund, "Errant." Marvelous. In medieval France, a
Susan
I'm glad to be done with this, if only to get Lita Ford out of my head.

Maggie Stiefvater's contribution was easily the best in the book, and I only wish the other authors had written to her standard. Oh well. I do recommend that Daniel Marks stop writing female characters until he can come up with a motivation that doesn't involve sexual jealousy. It's like a whole story with the sole purpose of failing the Bechdel test.
Angie
Mar 19, 2011 Angie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Got this from the library solely to read Carrie Ryan's Hare Moon, which is the story of Sister Tabitha from The Forest of Hands and Teeth when she was young and how she came to be the person she is in The Forest of Hands and Teeth. While I enjoyed Hare Moon and how it revealed a little more about The Forest of Hands and Teeth world, I thought the story was too short and too rushed. Many of the other short stories which I didn't read were much longer. Fortunately, the third book in The ...more
Lizzy
Sep 11, 2010 Lizzy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Kiss Me Deadly contains 13 short stories involving paranormal romance. There are quite a few recgonizable names among the contributing authors. Michelle Zink, Sarah Reese Brennan, Carrie Ryan, and Daniel Waters were just a few that drew me to the book. Of course, I also love a good paranormal romance.

Each story offers something different to lovers of the paranormal. There were angels, werewolves, Mara (parasitic empaths), zombies, unicorns, witches, djinns, and so much more. As with all antholog
Donna
Mar 31, 2012 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came at this one with two minds. KISS ME DEADLY has been sitting on my review shelf for far too long and I remember when I initially took it on it sounded really interesting and just dark enough that I thought I would enjoy it. When I picked it up to read a few weeks ago, I asked myself, "what the hell was I thinking?" PNR? ME? Do I know me right now? I try to stay as far away from PNR as I can right now. I don't do romance as a default, PNR especially because not only does it not interest me ...more
Nely
Aug 18, 2010 Nely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, autographed
First things first, from the moment I heard of this book I could not help but salivate over it just at the thought of so many of my favorite authors all within the same book. Here is a quick synopsis of the stories inside:

Caitlin
Aug 24, 2010 Caitlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Errant” By Diana Peterfruend is set in her unicorn world but does not need to be read in any order for her series. It’s a interesting story with two girls who don’t understand each other: Gitta, a hunter and Elise, a noble lady. They soon work together to get what they want.

“The Spiritual Jar” By Karen Mahoney gives a second short story about Moth an 18-year-old vampire sent to London to receive a book for her sire, Theo. Who knew a book could cause so many problems. I really like Moth and her
Damaris (GoodChoiceReading)
Aug 02, 2010 Damaris (GoodChoiceReading) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Damaris (GoodChoiceReading) by: goodchoicereadin@aol.com
Shelves: for-review
My Review:

A couple of days ago I received an e-mail from someone at Running Press Book Publishers asking me if I would be interested in doing a review and giveaway of Kiss Me Deadly. So I said yes and I was very excited because some of my favorite authors have a short story in Kiss Me Deadly.

Anyway, I finished reading today and I have to say that this is another first for me. I don't normally read short stories. No reason really, but I just never did. However, I did enjoy reading Kiss Me Deadly.
Franzie Lovegood
Aug 10, 2010 Franzie Lovegood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Assassin's Apprentice by Michelle Zink is a story about Rose, a Descendant. She's determined to avenge her parents' death from the hand of a demon. Aforementioned demon, on the other hand, is determined to kill her. This is were Asher comes into play; an Assassin, determined to protect her... this story is very well-written. I have not yet read The Prophecy of the Sisters, which I will probably do sooner rather than later. I really liked this take on angels although it was pretty short.

Writi
Jessica at Book Sake
Reviewed by Jessica for Book Sake.

I love anthologies. It’s always a great way to get introduced to authors you haven’t heard of or haven’t had the chance to read yet. I am always happy to see some I’m familiar with, in this case, Michelle Zink, Maggie Stiefvater, Carrie Ryan, and Becca Fitzpatrick, all who had great short stories within the book. Fans of Hush, Hush and Cresendo will especially love Becca Fitzpatrick’s piece as it’s based on the same characters from the series. I have only read o
Catalina Sennett
The Assassin's Apprentice By Michelle Zink
Interesting!! I would read this if it were a longer book, filled with more of the demon hunting adventures! The romance was too rushed, but it is a short story, so...kinda expected right?

Errant by Diana Peterfreund
Unicorns! This wasn't really a romance story, but it had unicorns so it was good.

The Spirit Jar by Karen Mahoney
I didn't get into this one much, I skipped through it mostly. Done with vampires I swear...

Lost by Justine Musk
Cute story based on
Casey Ann Books
Kiss Me Deadly is a new young adult paranormal romance anthology containing 13 new stories. It is, sort of, the follow up to 'The Eternal Kiss' YA vampire romance anthology that was out last summer. TEK was awesome and completely worth the money, which not all anthos are, and this one had another great line up of authors so I was really looking forward to it.

It is a decent anthology. Lots of different tales, different styles and some interesting romance options. Probably not the best anthology
A.M Bells
I can't rate this book as a whole. :( I mean, I had stories I liked and stories that just left me - meh!
So for my favorite stories, here it goes. And no, it's not a top, it's just the order I read them.

1. Behind the Red Door - Caitlin Kittredge THE SCARY
Freaky story! Spooky and I loved it. I actually hoped for that outcome when Nick first appeared.

2. Familiar - Michelle Rowen THE CUTE
Oh dear, how I loved this story. One it had witches, then it had kittens, and then cute boy. I actually would ha
Lydia Presley
You know, I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. There really aren't any "bad" stories in it, more like.. "okay" stories and "better" stories. I intended to write a short review of each one, but then I realized that was a lot of writing and getting up and down and... yeah, so instead I'll give you a few reviews of the stories I liked best.

Errant - Diane Peterfreund

I'm not a big unicorn fan, I admit it. I think I got burned out when unicorns were all over the cartoons when I w
Lei
May 15, 2014 Lei rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story that stuck with me most was Sarah Rees Brannan's the Spy Who Never Grew Up. Quite creepy and intriguing. Although it was about Peter Pan, it was original. I also like the one by Maggie. There was a twist in the character.
I'm gonna look up the books by some of the authors from this book, like the one who wrote The spirit jar.
Sabrina
Sabrina Smith
Short Stories

This collection of thirteen paranormal tales covers the spectrum, including vampires, witches, zombies, werewolves, demons, unicorns, and more, and boasting some popular paranormal authors.
Romance is a theme that brings them together, but more than that the dark intrigue and grandiosity make the stories a cohesive set, in spite of their varying paranormal flavor and authors. Teens that enjoy paranormal stories will devour these bite-size portions, which are not overly
The BookWhisperer
Aug 03, 2010 The BookWhisperer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love compilation novels it is my chance to read something from authors that I love, as well as, authors that I am not currently familiar with. Kiss Me Deadly is a very cool collection of stories from some of my faves including: Maggie Stiefvater, Rachel Vincent, Becca Ftizpatrick, Michelle Rowen, and Michelle Zink. With more authors than just these exceptionally talented few I was able to experience writings from authors that I have not had known of. I will definitely be adding to my TBR piles ...more
Brandee Terry
I love these collections because I get a taste of some new authors.
Treece
Now and again, it's a great idea to read paranormal romance during Halloween/Samhain.

Overall, this was a good collection, and the number 13 worked with a few select stories that missed the mark for me. The stories that fell flat were as follows:

The Spirit Jar by Karen Mahoney (3.0 out of 5.0)

Hounds of Ulster by Maggie Stiefvater (3.0 out of 5.0)

This is not to say they were poorly written, no way, just that I, as the reader, failed to connect with the characters and story.

Hare Moon by Carrie Ryan
Ellen
It sure is a collection of short stories!!

There are a couple that especially stood out as well written/spooky/exciting, whose authors I would like to look more into:

1) Errant by Diana Peterfreund- apparently the world is also explored in "Rampant" by the author, and I am adding that to my "to read" pile; lesbians and killer unicorns and different types of complementary female strength, I'm there, I'm there for all of it.

2) The Spy Who Never Grew Up by Sarah Rees Brennan- I have been seeing a lot
Lady Entropy
Feb 13, 2014 Lady Entropy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very pleasantly surprised by this book. I expected it to be filled with really annoying bits and bobs of Twilight wannabe short stories, but what I found was, in fact, some really amazing tales, with great creativity, unusual settings, and where the story and setting were more important, far more, than any annoying romance.

Even the two tales I disliked most "Dungeon of Langelais" (by the author of Hush, Hush) and Vermilion were not too shabby and my annoyances with it were minor.(In Dungeo
Krystal
The assassins apprentice by Michelle Zink:
Was good i would have liked more character development and less smooching but I'm going to check out the other works by this author

Errant by Diana Peterfreund:
Was hard for me to get into which with a total of 33 pages isn't a good sign

The spirit jar by Karen Mahoney:
I didn't like this short story it left alot unexplained and i understand she has had a minimal amount of pages to tell her story in but if that's the case then don't have people or objects i
Jagged
Jan 29, 2015 Jagged rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: compilation
The Assassin's Apprentice--Michelle Zink 1 Star.

I didn't like anything about this short story. There was no chemistry or connection between the characters. The plot was senseless and uninteresting. There were no challenges or anything to truly overcome.
I wasn't impressed.

Errant--Diana Peterfreund 4 Stars.

I have a suspicion that this will be the best story in the book. I was surprised that I liked it. It was unique.
I typically find that short stories feel unfinished and unpolished. That was not
Annette
Nov 15, 2011 Annette rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-2011
an average anthology. I found myself delaying grabbing this book. I really liked about 5. I thought that 5 were ok. I'd barely read 3 of them.
The story that I really really loved was the one by Michelle Rowen.
Francy Narvaez
Por primera vez experimente terror hacia Patch, realmente se le ve de una forma más siniestra en este relato pero me encanto conocer la historia antes de Nora, aunque sea solo una parte de ella.
Claire
Aug 13, 2011 Claire rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
The stories were really good but it got a bit confusing sometimes when you're reading and all of a sudden there is a complete change of plot, character and setting :)
Kristen
Apr 22, 2014 Kristen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a fan of short story collections generally, but I'm always willing to give something a chance, and since this was paranormal-focused I thought why not? It was okay, not great, not terrible, just okay.

This was a young adult collection, and I did find some of the stories a bit juvenile for me, but others were fun. I did skip over some I started that just didn't connect for me. Some were too dark, others were just dull. That tends to be the case with short story collections in my experience
What is this about and why so many authors???? 5 13 Jan 03, 2012 05:06PM
  • The Wild Side: Urban Fantasy with an Erotic Edge
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • Brave New Love: 15 Dystopian Tales of Desire
  • Vacations from Hell
  • An Infinite Thread - A Merry Sisters of Fate Anthology (Vol. 1)
  • Magic in the Mirrorstone: Tales of Fantasy
  • The First Time
  • The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories (The Curiosities, #1)
  • Willful Impropriety: 13 Tales of Society, Scandal  and Romance
  • Kisses from Hell
  • Demons: Encounters with the Devil and His Minions, Fallen Angels, and the Possessed
  • The Mammoth Book of Hot Romance
  • Defy the Dark
  • Truth and Dare: 20 Tales of Heartbreak and Happiness
Trisha Telep was the romance and fantasy book buyer at Murder One, a London crime, mystery, and romance bookstore; she's now co-owner of the virtual bookstore www.murderone.co.uk and an editor of romance and supernatural anthologies for Mammoth. Originally from Vancouver, Canada, she now lives in London.
More about Trisha Telep...

13 Tales (4 books)
  • The Eternal Kiss: 13 Vampire Tales of Blood and Desire
  • Corsets & Clockwork: 13 Steampunk Romances
  • Wicked Pretty Things: 13 Dark Faerie Romances

“Reading a good book in silence is like eating chocolate for the rest of your life and never getting fat.” 36 likes
“She prays to God, but He's silent. She searches for guidance, but the forest only moans.” 20 likes