Start by marking “Grunge Is Dead” as Want to Read:
Grunge Is Dead

Grunge Is Dead

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  371 ratings  ·  41 reviews
A detailed account of how to navigate Canada's health care system--especially in relation to medication safety--this is a firsthand description of the inner workings of the nation's doctor's offices, pharmacies, hospitals, and more. This definitive resource outlines the current situation; identifies key safety and efficacy issues; proposes a means for helping patients each ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by E C W Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Grunge Is Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grunge Is Dead

Ed Wagemann
There was a chapter at the end of the book that asked people how Grunge will be remembered. Some folks said it changed music, it changed the industry, etc. Maybe. The only thing that I can see that it did was it helped the corporate powers-that-be to have another pigeonhole which to exploit. Musically, as Jack Endino said, Grunge was basically 70s hard rock with a bit of punk attitude. And personally I agree. I dont feel that there is anything special about the Seattle scene or Grunge when compa ...more
Patrick
Three things I learned:

1. The drummer from Alice in Chains recorded "Facelift" with a broken hand.

2. Eddie Vedder got paid $80 to teach Matt Dillon how to play guitar for the movie "Singles."

3. The font for Nirvana's logo resulted from the graphic designer of "Bleach" just using whatever was already loaded on the computerized type-setter because she didn't want to put forth any effort since Sub Pop already owed her a bunch of money.

I love oral biographies, especially about bands ("Fool the World
Indra
When I began to read this book, I was immediately reminded of Legs McNeil' and Gillian McKain's "Please Kill Me", an oral history of the punk era...I saw an interview with Greg Prato while reading this book stating he took some cues from "Please Kill Me" felt kind of cool for making the connection. :) Prato did a great job here...he got some amazing interviews with people that haven't been heard from in other books about the Seattle scene, such as Layne Staley's mother, people that worked at Sub ...more
Christine
This book was interesting. I've never read a book entirely of interviews before. And not necessarily ordered interviews.

The beginning was kind of boring, lots about bands I've never heard of from the 50-70s. But it was interesting to consider the influences of some of my favorite music.

Then you get into why you are reading the book. To understand the development of the "grunge" era of music. And you quickly learn to hate the following things...

1. MTV
2. Heroin
3. The music industry
4. Heroin
5. Her
Lilsue Torrez-hutcherson
So much more than I thought it would be. I am so happy with this find. It takes you back when this world was such a different place. Many people, friends, newly created recording studios, managers, family, new founded friends, girlfriends, and the musicians themselves created this book with their own intake on how music grew and became. Being a big grunge fan I loved hearing the tales of Alice in chains, Soundgarden, & Mother love bone. Oh the turmoil!!!! I think it was great that this book ...more
Reznore
Really great book about Grunge.
The only funny thing is ...it's the same concept as "Everybody Loves Our Town", an oral history about grunge.

I think in this one there's some Eddie Vedder interview , on "Everybody Loves..." you've got some Courtney Love interview .
So one book is slightly more hilarious than the other.

It's a interesting read if you want to have a better idea of what happened in Seattle music scene , this one goes from the 60's to the 2000 .
Of course there's a big emphasis on the 90
Hannah Jo Parker
Yes, I'm a sucker for exactly this sort of book, but I still feel like it deserves 5 stars. It's an impressive, extensive look back at grunge and its impact on Seattle (and Seattle's impact on it). People like Mark Arm, Kim Thayil, and Eddie Vedder get a chance to tell the story from their perspective, so it feels authentic.

I got out my copy of Sub Pop 200 and listened to it repeatedly while reading this book, so I could connect the songs to the people in the book. I appreciated the chance to r
Anderson Baldwin
This book was well thought out. I didn't care so much for the first part and the only reason is that I was never into those bands. When Soundgarden showed up I couldn't put it down. Every listener was effected by these bands but for a guy like me that worshiped them as a teenager, it's a jewel to have the lives of these bands come to life by their own words. The part with Layne Staleys mother Nancy is more than the music. It's about true life. It doesn't get much better.
Justyna Walkowska
Great collection of first-hand stories. Major nostalgia trip.

The most interesting thing about this book has been to see how the people who were there have different opinions about what really happened, what it all meant and what was new and important.

I wish Courtney Love had been invited to tell her story there too (or maybe she was).
Christy Austen
I confess I haven't read the whole book cover to cover but I have read most of it; Especially the interviews involving my favorite grunge bands.
Darren Hemmings
A great history of Seattle's music scene from the early 80s through to the late 90's, told by the people who were there. For me what I loved was that it demystified a lot of the hype and BS surrounding the scene both then and now, making all those players in the tale seem that bit more human. Ultimately it got me checking out some albums and even realising others weren't all that, but across the board it charts a period I followed well as a teenager, and reading how it all unfolded for those on ...more
April Raine
Interesting and rather fantastic insight provided by interviews, but the scant analyzation and contextualization detracts from the importance of the topic and leaves much to be desired. The book is long, but some context would have been nice.
Scott
I love oral histories - this is an oral history of grunge music

Legs McNeils' oral history of punk music and
the oral history of Saturday Nite Live are well worth reading if you're interested in those subjects
Yulianto Dewata
Compolation of quotes. Boring.
Heidi
Sep 11, 2013 Heidi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of grunge, Seattle, Cobain
The writing style was not my favorite, and the book got off to slow start, but ultimately I'm glad I read it and enjoyed the last half of the book quite a bit. It was interesting to read the insights from so many key players in the Seattle 80's/early 90's music scene, as well as counterpoints from friends and family who were observers. As another reviewer has noted, the interviews with Layne Staley's mother were pretty intense, as were most of the commentaries about Cobain's last years strugglin ...more
Nicholas Coleman
Surprisingly thorough oral history of the Seattle grunge scene. I'm glad that Greg Prato and others have used Please Kill Me as a template for rock history books because it's incredibly valuable to hear the stories directly from the people who were there. I found myself surprisingly fascinated by the material on Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains despite not being particularly interested in those bands' music. There's plenty on the lesser known groups like The Blackouts, The U-Men, Malfunkshun, Tad, ...more
David Musto
Jan 08, 2013 David Musto rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to David by: Georgette
An "American Hardcore" for "grunge". Told entirely through quotes from artists and scenesters, this is probably as close to a comprehensive take on Seattle music as possible. Notable omissions are members of Nirvana, Chris Cornell, and Mark Lanegan but their lack of participation was more than likely their choice. The most entertaining part of the book are the differences in opinion. Mark Arm comes off as combatitve but hilarious, this volume's version of Vic Bondi or Steve Albini.
Steven
Probably more interesting to those outside (or after) the Seattle scene. For those who were there, no real surprises here, other than that some chose to speak their mind. What works well is the oral biography style because you get to hear all the different voices. What is suspect is the arrangement and the obvious subtext of leading questions. Plenty of inside dirt if you are into that. Could definitely turn you on to plenty of other bands if you weren't around back then.
Michael Lello
An excellent look at the grunge scene with interviews from all the major surviving players besides Chris Cornell. Kot brings the Seattle scene to life, and shows what it was like beyond the mainstream media's co-op of flannel.

The book is written as a serious of quotes with little exposition, which might take some getting used to for some readers, but the interviews, for the most part, are interesting enough to carry the book.
Pinkgreen
Grunge history is a recent fascination of mine. Also, Pearl Jam is my favorite band of all time, and I like a lot of those other bands. So this book was heaven for me.
And sometimes it was REALLY sad. Reading about Andy wood, Kurt Cobain, and Layne Staley... heartbreaking !
Anyone thinking about doing heroin should read this book first... And then watch Requiem for a dream... And then read this book again.
James
A great read for anyone who wants to learn about the music scene in and around Seattle from the late 1970's-mid 90's. Good to read it straight from the mouths of the people who made it happen. Lots of interesting, trivial little details. Could use more pictures and maybe an appendix or something with listings of who exactly was in each band and what years they were active, possibly discography.
Daniel Fitzgerald
This thing is a zippy little read. Kinda like Please Kill Me but for Seattle grunge. Like any scene history, it can be very into itself. Also, given that the folks involved are now older and wiser, the tone can be a bit nostalgic or wistful. Still, a fine, honest bit of reading about a period of rock time that is now pretty well obscured by myth.
Chris
I might have read this a little to closely to Everybody Loves Our Town, also about the Seattle scene. So I didn‘t learn a whole lot that was new. That book I think I liked a little better. It was more detailed. But IS liked the pictures, and it brought back good 90‘s memories. Plus, I just love the name John Leighton Beezer.
Karl
If you're interested in this music/period in Seattle history, read this. It's not great literature, since it's just a bunch of fragments from interviews, but it's interesting to hear what's going on from the actual people in and around the bands.

Also, a take-home message: never, ever try heroin. Especially if you're rich.
Erika
absolutely loved it! the writing style is not my favorite but I did find it unique how it was all in anecdotes. finally a book that depicts the Seattle music scene from the people that lived it. this is a great book for people who want to revisit or discover new bands from mid 90s
Nov 24, 2014 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Music Lovers
Great insight into the world of the Seattle Music Scene of the 80's, 90's and leading up to where it is today. Great interviews from people in the scene and family, like Layne Staley's mom.

Very interesting read, but a little confusing at times in the way it is laid out.
Loni Edwards
A great first hand account of the grunge scene in Seattle from the musicians that were apart of it. Interviews with many notables including members of Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. Great chapters on Nirvana, Andrew Wood (Mother Love Bone), and GRRRL Riot.
Yudha Setyawan
The writing style of this book wasn't good enough for me, but the material could explained everything what was happen on Seattle early 80's through late 90's. It's started from local scene and become hype when some band joined with major label.
Benjamin Kahn
I thought that I'd still find it interesting, although I was never a big fan of grunge. I was wrong. Stuck with it for a couple of hundred pages and then just didn't care anymore.
Tom
Similar to Everybody Loves Our Town: An Oral History of Grunge by Mark Yarm. Interesting, informative, enjoyable and easy to read.
  • Everybody Loves Our Town: An Oral History of Grunge
  • Louder Than Hell: The Definitive Oral History of Metal
  • Pearl Jam Twenty
  • Screaming Life: A Chronicle of the Seattle Music Scene
  • Gimme Something Better: The Profound, Progressive, and Occasionally Pointless History of Bay Area Punk from Dead Kennedys to Green Day
  • She's a Rebel: The History of Women in Rock and Roll
  • Deflowered: My Life in Pansy Division
  • Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal
  • Banned in D C: Photos and Anecdotes from the DC Punk Underground
  • Punk Rock: An Oral History
  • Orange Sunshine: The Brotherhood of Eternal Love and Its Quest to Spread Peace, Love, and Acid to the World
2061015
Greg Prato is a Long Island, New York-based journalist, whose writing has appeared in such renowned publications as Rolling Stone. He is the author of several popular books, 'A Devil on One Shoulder and an Angel on the Other: The Story of Shannon Hoon and Blind Melon,' 'Touched by Magic: The Tommy Bolin Story,' 'Grunge Is Dead: The Oral History of Seattle Rock Music, 'No Schlock . . . Just Rock!,' ...more
More about Greg Prato...
A Devil on One Shoulder and an Angel on the Other: The Story of Shannon Hoon and Blind Melon The Faith No More & Mr. Bungle Companion The Eric Carr Story Too High to Die: Meet the Meat Puppets Sack Exchange: The Definitive Oral History of the 1980s New York Jets

“TRACY MARANDER: [Kurt Cobain] was a really good artist. He would draw cartoons with funny sayings. I have this huge picture of this homeless guy, and it’s a satirical thing on how homeless people are mentally ill, they’re alcoholics, they had messed up childhoods — but they’re expected to fend for themselves in a box in the snow.” 5 likes
“YANNI “JOHNNY” BACOLAS: I would always tell him, “Layne [Staley], why don’t you take off, go to some deserted island, hire the best counselors, and just kick this shit? Go for six months if you have to.” And his rebuttal was, “Johnny, I have celebrity status and I have a lot of money. I could fly planes out to deliver me the dope if I wanted to — and that’s what I would do. I can’t escape.” 5 likes