Start by marking “Grunge Is Dead” as Want to Read:
Grunge Is Dead

Grunge Is Dead

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  446 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
A detailed account of how to navigate Canada's health care system--especially in relation to medication safety--this is a firsthand description of the inner workings of the nation's doctor's offices, pharmacies, hospitals, and more. This definitive resource outlines the current situation; identifies key safety and efficacy issues; proposes a means for helping patients each ...more
Published April 1st 2009 by E C W Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Grunge Is Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grunge Is Dead

Patrick
Jun 21, 2009 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Three things I learned:

1. The drummer from Alice in Chains recorded "Facelift" with a broken hand.

2. Eddie Vedder got paid $80 to teach Matt Dillon how to play guitar for the movie "Singles."

3. The font for Nirvana's logo resulted from the graphic designer of "Bleach" just using whatever was already loaded on the computerized type-setter because she didn't want to put forth any effort since Sub Pop already owed her a bunch of money.

I love oral biographies, especially about bands ("Fool the World
Ed Wagemann
There was a chapter at the end of the book that asked people how Grunge will be remembered. Some folks said it changed music, it changed the industry, etc. Maybe. The only thing that I can see that it did was it helped the corporate powers-that-be to have another pigeonhole which to exploit. Musically, as Jack Endino said, Grunge was basically 70s hard rock with a bit of punk attitude. And personally I agree. I dont feel that there is anything special about the Seattle scene or Grunge when compa ...more
Erika
Jan 06, 2012 Erika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
absolutely loved it! the writing style is not my favorite but I did find it unique how it was all in anecdotes. finally a book that depicts the Seattle music scene from the people that lived it. this is a great book for people who want to revisit or discover new bands from mid 90s
David Marlow
May 19, 2016 David Marlow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hey! I love the grunge scene from Seattle. All the major players and bands and interviews are right here in this book. Greg Prato has included all of the interviews condensed into this book which gives it a real flow bringing forward an interesting read - makes a great reference book!!! For some reason no reference to Chris Cornell and Mark Lanegan but the rest of the guys are here, including Eddie Vedder. The artists who took centre stage from that era are of course - Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain a ...more
Indra
Apr 27, 2009 Indra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I began to read this book, I was immediately reminded of Legs McNeil' and Gillian McKain's "Please Kill Me", an oral history of the punk era...I saw an interview with Greg Prato while reading this book stating he took some cues from "Please Kill Me" felt kind of cool for making the connection. :) Prato did a great job here...he got some amazing interviews with people that haven't been heard from in other books about the Seattle scene, such as Layne Staley's mother, people that worked at Sub ...more
Christine
May 07, 2014 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was interesting. I've never read a book entirely of interviews before. And not necessarily ordered interviews.

The beginning was kind of boring, lots about bands I've never heard of from the 50-70s. But it was interesting to consider the influences of some of my favorite music.

Then you get into why you are reading the book. To understand the development of the "grunge" era of music. And you quickly learn to hate the following things...

1. MTV
2. Heroin
3. The music industry
4. Heroin
5. Her
Neri.
Feb 21, 2016 Neri. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book reminded me a little bit of Everybody Loves Our Town: An Oral History of Grunge. Oral history of Seattle music scene was interesting to read and find out more information about the music that I'm a fan of.
Lilsue Torrez-hutcherson
So much more than I thought it would be. I am so happy with this find. It takes you back when this world was such a different place. Many people, friends, newly created recording studios, managers, family, new founded friends, girlfriends, and the musicians themselves created this book with their own intake on how music grew and became. Being a big grunge fan I loved hearing the tales of Alice in chains, Soundgarden, & Mother love bone. Oh the turmoil!!!! I think it was great that this book ...more
Reznore
Jul 15, 2015 Reznore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really great book about Grunge.
The only funny thing is ...it's the same concept as "Everybody Loves Our Town", an oral history about grunge.

I think in this one there's some Eddie Vedder interview , on "Everybody Loves..." you've got some Courtney Love interview .
So one book is slightly more hilarious than the other.

It's a interesting read if you want to have a better idea of what happened in Seattle music scene , this one goes from the 60's to the 2000 .
Of course there's a big emphasis on the 90
doungjai
Jul 16, 2016 doungjai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
an excellent look at the history of the Seattle music scene, with the main focus being the "grunge" sound that exploded in the early nineties. I like how the book was laid out as an oral history; with dozens of people contributing to this book, it did get a bit confusing after a while keeping up with who was who (thank goodness for the five page list of those who participated at the end of the book).

the list of those who contributed to this book is a who's who of the Seattle scene, but there ar
Hannah Jo Parker
Yes, I'm a sucker for exactly this sort of book, but I still feel like it deserves 5 stars. It's an impressive, extensive look back at grunge and its impact on Seattle (and Seattle's impact on it). People like Mark Arm, Kim Thayil, and Eddie Vedder get a chance to tell the story from their perspective, so it feels authentic.

I got out my copy of Sub Pop 200 and listened to it repeatedly while reading this book, so I could connect the songs to the people in the book. I appreciated the chance to r
Anderson Baldwin
Feb 02, 2014 Anderson Baldwin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was well thought out. I didn't care so much for the first part and the only reason is that I was never into those bands. When Soundgarden showed up I couldn't put it down. Every listener was effected by these bands but for a guy like me that worshiped them as a teenager, it's a jewel to have the lives of these bands come to life by their own words. The part with Layne Staleys mother Nancy is more than the music. It's about true life. It doesn't get much better.
Justyna Walkowska
Mar 02, 2014 Justyna Walkowska rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great collection of first-hand stories. Major nostalgia trip.

The most interesting thing about this book has been to see how the people who were there have different opinions about what really happened, what it all meant and what was new and important.

I wish Courtney Love had been invited to tell her story there too (or maybe she was).
Christy Austen
Feb 04, 2015 Christy Austen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I confess I haven't read the whole book cover to cover but I have read most of it; Especially the interviews involving my favorite grunge bands.
Darren Hemmings
Mar 20, 2011 Darren Hemmings rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
A great history of Seattle's music scene from the early 80s through to the late 90's, told by the people who were there. For me what I loved was that it demystified a lot of the hype and BS surrounding the scene both then and now, making all those players in the tale seem that bit more human. Ultimately it got me checking out some albums and even realising others weren't all that, but across the board it charts a period I followed well as a teenager, and reading how it all unfolded for those on ...more
April Raine
Interesting and rather fantastic insight provided by interviews, but the scant analyzation and contextualization detracts from the importance of the topic and leaves much to be desired. The book is long, but some context would have been nice.
Scott
Jul 29, 2015 Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love oral histories - this is an oral history of grunge music

Legs McNeils' oral history of punk music and
the oral history of Saturday Nite Live are well worth reading if you're interested in those subjects
Yulianto Dewata
Jun 16, 2015 Yulianto Dewata rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Compolation of quotes. Boring.
Heidi
Sep 11, 2013 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of grunge, Seattle, Cobain
The writing style was not my favorite, and the book got off to slow start, but ultimately I'm glad I read it and enjoyed the last half of the book quite a bit. It was interesting to read the insights from so many key players in the Seattle 80's/early 90's music scene, as well as counterpoints from friends and family who were observers. As another reviewer has noted, the interviews with Layne Staley's mother were pretty intense, as were most of the commentaries about Cobain's last years strugglin ...more
Nicholas Coleman
Oct 22, 2011 Nicholas Coleman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
Surprisingly thorough oral history of the Seattle grunge scene. I'm glad that Greg Prato and others have used Please Kill Me as a template for rock history books because it's incredibly valuable to hear the stories directly from the people who were there. I found myself surprisingly fascinated by the material on Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains despite not being particularly interested in those bands' music. There's plenty on the lesser known groups like The Blackouts, The U-Men, Malfunkshun, Tad, ...more
David Musto
Jan 08, 2013 David Musto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to David by: Georgette
An "American Hardcore" for "grunge". Told entirely through quotes from artists and scenesters, this is probably as close to a comprehensive take on Seattle music as possible. Notable omissions are members of Nirvana, Chris Cornell, and Mark Lanegan but their lack of participation was more than likely their choice. The most entertaining part of the book are the differences in opinion. Mark Arm comes off as combatitve but hilarious, this volume's version of Vic Bondi or Steve Albini.
Steven
Sep 18, 2009 Steven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably more interesting to those outside (or after) the Seattle scene. For those who were there, no real surprises here, other than that some chose to speak their mind. What works well is the oral biography style because you get to hear all the different voices. What is suspect is the arrangement and the obvious subtext of leading questions. Plenty of inside dirt if you are into that. Could definitely turn you on to plenty of other bands if you weren't around back then.
Michael Lello
May 17, 2013 Michael Lello rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent look at the grunge scene with interviews from all the major surviving players besides Chris Cornell. Kot brings the Seattle scene to life, and shows what it was like beyond the mainstream media's co-op of flannel.

The book is written as a serious of quotes with little exposition, which might take some getting used to for some readers, but the interviews, for the most part, are interesting enough to carry the book.
Pinkgreen
Grunge history is a recent fascination of mine. Also, Pearl Jam is my favorite band of all time, and I like a lot of those other bands. So this book was heaven for me.
And sometimes it was REALLY sad. Reading about Andy wood, Kurt Cobain, and Layne Staley... heartbreaking !
Anyone thinking about doing heroin should read this book first... And then watch Requiem for a dream... And then read this book again.
James
Apr 29, 2010 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read for anyone who wants to learn about the music scene in and around Seattle from the late 1970's-mid 90's. Good to read it straight from the mouths of the people who made it happen. Lots of interesting, trivial little details. Could use more pictures and maybe an appendix or something with listings of who exactly was in each band and what years they were active, possibly discography.
Daniel Fitzgerald
May 07, 2009 Daniel Fitzgerald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This thing is a zippy little read. Kinda like Please Kill Me but for Seattle grunge. Like any scene history, it can be very into itself. Also, given that the folks involved are now older and wiser, the tone can be a bit nostalgic or wistful. Still, a fine, honest bit of reading about a period of rock time that is now pretty well obscured by myth.
Chris
Jul 17, 2013 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I might have read this a little to closely to Everybody Loves Our Town, also about the Seattle scene. So I didn‘t learn a whole lot that was new. That book I think I liked a little better. It was more detailed. But IS liked the pictures, and it brought back good 90‘s memories. Plus, I just love the name John Leighton Beezer.
Karl
May 03, 2013 Karl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're interested in this music/period in Seattle history, read this. It's not great literature, since it's just a bunch of fragments from interviews, but it's interesting to hear what's going on from the actual people in and around the bands.

Also, a take-home message: never, ever try heroin. Especially if you're rich.
Nov 24, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Music Lovers
Great insight into the world of the Seattle Music Scene of the 80's, 90's and leading up to where it is today. Great interviews from people in the scene and family, like Layne Staley's mom.

Very interesting read, but a little confusing at times in the way it is laid out.
Loni
Mar 08, 2012 Loni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: college, music
A great first hand account of the grunge scene in Seattle from the musicians that were apart of it. Interviews with many notables including members of Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. Great chapters on Nirvana, Andrew Wood (Mother Love Bone), and GRRRL Riot.
  • Everybody Loves Our Town: An Oral History of Grunge
  • Louder Than Hell: The Definitive Oral History of Metal
  • Gimme Something Better: The Profound, Progressive, and Occasionally Pointless History of Bay Area Punk from Dead Kennedys to Green Day
  • Pearl Jam Twenty
  • Cobain Unseen
  • Ripped: How the Wired Generation Revolutionized Music
  • Riot Grrrl: Revolution Girl Style Now!
  • Goodbye 20th Century: A Biography of Sonic Youth
  • Joan Jett
  • When I Grow Up
  • Orange Sunshine: The Brotherhood of Eternal Love and Its Quest to Spread Peace, Love, and Acid to the World
  • Screaming Life: A Chronicle of the Seattle Music Scene
  • She's a Rebel: The History of Women in Rock and Roll
  • Cinderella's Big Score: Women of the Punk and Indie Underground
  • Deflowered: My Life in Pansy Division
  • Girl Power: The Nineties Revolution in Music
  • Touch and Go: The Complete Hardcore Punk Zine '79-'83
  • Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal
2061015
Greg Prato is a Long Island, New York-based journalist, whose writing has appeared in such renowned publications as Rolling Stone. He is the author of several popular books, 'A Devil on One Shoulder and an Angel on the Other: The Story of Shannon Hoon and Blind Melon,' 'Touched by Magic: The Tommy Bolin Story,' 'Grunge Is Dead: The Oral History of Seattle Rock Music, 'No Schlock . . . Just Rock!,' ...more
More about Greg Prato...

“TRACY MARANDER: [Kurt Cobain] was a really good artist. He would draw cartoons with funny sayings. I have this huge picture of this homeless guy, and it’s a satirical thing on how homeless people are mentally ill, they’re alcoholics, they had messed up childhoods — but they’re expected to fend for themselves in a box in the snow.” 5 likes
“YANNI “JOHNNY” BACOLAS: I would always tell him, “Layne [Staley], why don’t you take off, go to some deserted island, hire the best counselors, and just kick this shit? Go for six months if you have to.” And his rebuttal was, “Johnny, I have celebrity status and I have a lot of money. I could fly planes out to deliver me the dope if I wanted to — and that’s what I would do. I can’t escape.” 5 likes