Sweet Danger (Albert Campion Mystery #5)

Sweet Danger (Albert Campion #5)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  1,079 ratings  ·  62 reviews
The impoverished Fitton family inhabit a run-down mill in a Suffolk village, and suspect their brother is heir to Averna, suddenly oil rich after an earthquake. The British government assign Albert Campion to find the true owners. The requisite proof of lineage involves an ancient riddle, stolen drum, long-lost bell, priceless crown, and a ruby necklace.
Paperback
Published 1963 by Penguin (first published 1933)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Danger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Danger

Lost Horizon by James HiltonLord Edgware Dies by Agatha ChristieMurder Must Advertise by Dorothy L. SayersFarmer Boy by Laura Ingalls WilderDown and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell
Best Books of 1933
10th out of 20 books — 20 voters
Sense and Sensibility by Jane AustenShadow Kiss by Richelle MeadSpirit Bound by Richelle MeadShiver by Maggie StiefvaterStiff by Mary Roach
Great books that start with "S"
43rd out of 354 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

Miriam

Ms. Allingham, you can't just slap some Ruritanian Romance into your mystery. It does not work, just like the Holy Grail stand-in, tower-of-mystery trappings in Look to the Lady didn't work. And while I'm being blunt, the gritty crime action? You're not so hot at that, either. Stick to the standard parlor-mystery with clues 'n' stuff -- you do that so much better. There's not much mystery in this mystery: the good guys (representing the British government) race to get the Ruritarian McGuffins be...more
Jill Hutchinson
I never know if I am going to enjoy Allingham's Campion books since they are erratic. This one didn't make a whole lot of sense and I never knew exactly what was going one since there are so many holes in the plot that are never explained. This story is concerned with the restoration of a title, the hunt for the objects that will provide proof, witchcraft, and the secret machinations of big business to get their hands on land belonging to the putative Earl. It doesn't sound too confusing but fra...more
Jillian
This is a bit Raiders of the Lost Document/Ark in rural Suffolk. I found Campion's omnipotence a bit trying in this book and some of the escapes-from-death-and-injury caused me to roll my eyes. While Allingham maintains her skill with pace and description, this story would be more suited to a film genre where belief can be more easily suspended. As it is, this reader found it hard to maintain interest through the complexity and detail of the plot and sub-plots, finding some of it indulgence on t...more
Babette
Ah, what fun Campion is. I think my enjoyment is heightened by viewing the BBC dramitization of many of Margery Allingham's Campion mysteries. The characters enacted by Peter Davison (the seemingly distracted sleuth) and Brian Glover (his willful manservant Lugg) are always in my mind as I read these stories. For anyone who has not seen these episodes, buy or rent the DVDs at once!
This book did not disappoint. The bad guys are almost characatures of villians and the good guys are pure and heroic...more
Andrea
This is outright adventure, with discredited heirs, regal impersonations, postage-stamp kingdoms, international implications, and a whale of a treasure hunt.

The story itself is great fun, but Amanda Fitton makes it her own. Flame haired, talking a mile a minute, reviving ancient motor cars, turning an old mill house into a battery-charger, and knowing far more about what's going on than initially expected. She makes a fantastic 'Loot' to Campion's 'Orph', and thankfully reappears several books f...more
Azar
Feb 22, 2008 Azar rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Agatha Christie, Dorothy Sayers, Ngaio Marsh, etc.
My absolute favorite Campion book thus far. Not only does it have all the elements that made Look to the Lady a favorite, but it also introduces Amanda Fitton, the woman who will eventually win Albert's heart, and you could not find a more perfect match for him--brilliant, stubborn, spirited, long-lost royalty, and best of all, a redhead! *g*
Nancy Oakes
So far, this may be my favorite Campion in the series. I haven't read them all yet, but up to this point, definitely my favorite. I'm amazed that so many people here gave it such low ratings, but to each his own, I suppose. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a good adventure story, because it's not so much a mystery, but rather more of a suspense/adventure type thing. I would also say that if you've been following Campion up to this point, you're going to really enjoy this one.

In a...more
Alice
Tiffany
I think this is one of the rare books in which I liked the screen dramatization better than the book. BBC produced a series called Campion based on these books which I really like. The Fear Sign happened to be the only one of the Albert Campion books that my library had. The book was overall okay with a few scattered laugh out loud lines mixed in. Maybe it was this particular plot line that I didn't particularly enjoy or maybe because I kept comparing it to the show. But I think it would be wort...more
Cera
This had some good characters, including one whom I hope becomes an eventual regular, and it wins big points for having a teenage girl who is an electricity geek, demonstrates tons of agency, and is shown to really brave without being stupid. But the overall plot is definitely more in the thriller category, and I was reading it hoping for detective fiction, so I was not as thrilled as I might otherwise be.
Tracyk
I read the entire Allingham series earlier, and liked them all. This one is one of my favorites. I like the ones that feature Amanda Fitton.

The series was written from the late 1920's through the 1960's, and the tone and style is not the same in all of the books. Some were humorous, witty whodunits, some were more serious novels.
Jonathan Palfrey
This novel is not really a fantasy: there's nothing impossible in it. However, the whole story is so implausible that it may be best thought of as a fantasy, first published in 1933, but akin to one of Jasper Fforde's more modern stories.

Along with being fantastic, it's also an exciting, charming, and romantic adventure story, set mostly in darkest Suffolk, although it begins with an unlikely encounter on the Mediterranean coast of France: starting as it means to go on.

Although the story is obvi...more
Kerry
REREAD #1: 9/10 (5 October 2004 - 7 October 2004)

I find it strange that I'm having trouble trying to decide what to say about this book. It is my favourite Campion novel, but I'm not sure if I can say why. It just is.

The action begins on the Riviera, when August Randall (known to his intimates as Guffy) witness two unexpected events. The first is a strange man absconding from a high class hotel out a window; the second is Albert Campion, installed in the same hotel as the Hereditary Paladin of...more
Julia
Re-reading the Campion series in order. This is one of the best. I wasn't quite as inspired as I remembered so changing rating from 5 to 4 stars. (Previous rating was entered when I first joined GR and was adding books that I hadn't read recently.)

In this book, Albert Campion and several friends are on a mission to find proof that an area in Europe is actually British property. Clues lead to the impoverished Pontisbright family, who are living in an old house by a mill. The younger daughter, Ama...more
Sorcha
What was Albert Campion up to in the Hotel Beauregard, Mentone? Posing as the king of a tinpot Balkan state looking for his lost crown. It was all too intriguing for Guffy Randall, so he joined in the treasure hunt ... to the bitter end. Even when it got very nasty indeed.

First (actually it turns out to be the second) of the Campion books I've read, and whilst good, this wont necessarily put him up there with Alleyn and Rhoddenbarr.

A small portion of land has suddenly become very attractive and...more
Susan
I've become a huge fan of Margery Allingham's Campion series; I've enjoyed Sayers and Christie for years, but after reading one Campion years ago, didn't really "feel it"! I found a reissue of "Police at the Funeral" at a used book store and decided to try again, and I'm glad I did. I'm reading them in order and just ordered several from Amazon to fill in the missing books my library doesn't have.

This book is more of an adventure than a mystery, really, set in 1933 rural Suffolk and once again...more
Malcolmaffleck
After just having read 'Look To The Lady', 'Sweet Danger' falls down by having a lot of the same basic plot points (a little bit of old country magic, a search for a missing MacGuffin, a countryside setting and a really obvious twist half way through that I'm not even sure deserves the name twist, it's that obvious) wrapped around a very odd story about the ownership of a plot of land. The story seems to have three different plots going on at the same time - the ownership, the magic and the roma...more
Surreysmum
Nicole
Amanda is one of the best characters Allingham ever crafted. This is where Campion meets Amanda and discovers his lieutenant and female counterpart. Lugg works with his country 'cousin' Scatty William who is to Amanda what Lugg is to Campion.
One of the best bits is how Campion and Amanda work behind the scenes together. A perfect team in the making beginning with Amanda baffling her family with her sudden acquisition of £300, and plans to buy first a car and then some electronic equipment. Whil...more
Donna
Albert Campion is not easily pegged -- a dashing aristocratic detective ala Wimsey or a vacuous actor stumbling into adventure. It's not that he's either one character or another, it's that he can be both in the same book - even in the same chapter. In sum, Albert Campion is a great actor involved in uncovering some interesting mysteries. In this book he is determined to find the proofs of the rightful heir of an earldom which has now become important since part of that earl's domain has had oil...more
Elena
I have to admit I found this book really close to the edge of too dry in terms of wit and too subtle in terms of overall writing style. I think I had to restart this at least three times before I got into it. Perhaps that was due to the beginning that seemed a bit too much like Agatha Christie's later novels about all the mysterious forces and political currents which are trying to be spy novels but aren't really succeeding all that well. But after that, I enjoyed it much more. Campion is an int...more
Tim
Less a mystery than a real Scooby-Doo adventure with Campion as action hero. Fun characters but an especially ridiculous plot in the countryside.
Miriam
Another mystery/adventure starring Albert Campion. The plot is complicated and rather improbable, but there is plenty of action. Campion is joined by Amanda Fitton, another great character. They complement each other well, and Allingham handles them in such a way that the difference in ages isn't creepy, like it sometimes is. The scenes where Campion and Amanda are absent drag a bit, but it is still a fun read.I also like that Campion, despite his many brushes with death, is never portrayed as a...more
Deb
Campion poses as minor royalty and as an old woman, and meets a youngster named Amanda.
Dillwynia Peter
I'm not quite sure if this one is supposed to be a light hearted entertainment, or Allingham missed the mark, or edited an early manuscript.

The story is not that strong & in my copy, the blurb involving an European crown is very misleading. This is an important book, as we are introduced to Campion's future wife. I took the book as a comic mystery, and found it worked for me - especially the dialogue.

Not one of her better ones & definitely resembles the juvenalia that is seen in her 1st...more
Kirsten
This is a highly improbable, but extremely British and entertaining, mystery. Albert Campion and his stalwart associates must locate the lost regalia of the kingdom of Averna: a small, strategically located and petroleum-rich piece of the British Empire. Along the way they attract assassins, would-be necromancers, and a bevy of bizarre locals. Albert Campion is an amusing detective; he cultivates an air of affable stupidity, until he is called upon to exercise his formidable hidden wit.
Stven
A little off the beaten path for a Campion novel, though one that worked quite well in the BBC adaptation. We've got secret-agenty hijinks, MacGuffins big enough to drive a Rolls-Royce through, and a sweet English country girl with moxie enough to tempt a stout-hearted fellow to cradle-robbing. The usual subtlety of Allingham's text is a bit less striking than usual, but the broad strokes of the plot make up any deficiency in fun.
Wilde Sky
Set between the two World Wars, the British Government is keen to determine who are the rightful heirs to Averna, a tiny Balkan state, and hires a private detective, Albert Campion, to assist in recovering certain key documents.

This is the second book in this series I have read and I found it disappointing. I couldn’t engage with the plot, writing style or characters.
Rita
This book was dramatised for the Campion TV Series. I was a bit surprised that the book started differently but it made more sense.
The writing makes me smile, the hotel where Campion and his friends meet is described as having 'wise guyishness'. A good read if, like me, you are a fan of brave and wisecracking Albert Campion.
Stephanie
This is more of an adventure than it was a mystery. It was still very entertaining. I enjoyed "meeting" the character of Amanda Fitton since I found her charming and witty and a good match for Campion. The supernatural aspect seemed al oat tacked on to make the book longer but wasn't too intrusive.
  • Vintage Murder (Roderick Alleyn, #5)
  • To Love and Be Wise (Inspector Alan Grant #4)
  • Swan Song (Gervase Fen, #4)
  • The Unfinished Clue
  • The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2)
Aka Maxwell March.

Margery Allingham was born in Ealing, London in 1904 to a family of writers. Her father, Herbert John Allingham, was editor of The Christian Globe and The New London Journal, while her mother wrote stories for women's magazines. Margery's aunt, Maud Hughes, also ran a magazine. Margery earned her first fee at the age of eight, for a story printed in her aunt's magazine.

Soon after...more
More about Margery Allingham...
Police at the Funeral (Albert Campion Mystery #4) The Tiger in the Smoke (Albert Campion Mystery #14) The Crime at Black Dudley (Albert Campion Mystery #1) Mystery Mile (Albert Campion Mystery #2) The Fashion in Shrouds (Albert Campion Mystery #10)