Start by marking “You Don't Know About Me” as Want to Read:
You Don't Know About Me

You Don't Know About Me

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  143 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Sixteen-year-old Billy Allbright is about to bust out of his sheltered cocoon and go on a gonzo road trip. He just doesn't know it yet. His ticket to freedom? A mysterious Bible containing two resurrection stories. The second is about a man Billy's never met, and who is supposedly dead: his father.
But the road to a risen-from-the-grave dad, and the unusual inheritance he p
Published May 10th 2011 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about You Don't Know About Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Don't Know About Me

Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan MatsonPaper Towns by John GreenAn Abundance of Katherines by John Green13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen JohnsonTwo-Way Street by Lauren Barnholdt
Young Adult Road Trip Novels
56th out of 262 books — 1,813 voters
Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There by Lewis CarrollThe Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side by Agatha ChristieMirrorMask by Neil GaimanThey Do It with Mirrors by Agatha ChristieA Distant Mirror by Barbara W. Tuchman
Reflections
26th out of 62 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

David
Aug 01, 2011 David rated it it was amazing
"You Don't Know About Me" was far better than I had anticipated. Brian Meehl has written a sort-of fanfiction of the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Over the years, there have been many attempts to do so, and some quite successful. John Clinch's 2007 novel Finn was critically acclaimed. This novel - "You Don't Know About Me" - is by far the best I've read. Even disregarding its engagement with the earlier classic, the novel's story and characters stand very well on their own.
Bill Allbright and
Andre
May 18, 2014 Andre added it
You dont know about know me is a realistic fiction by an author name Brian Meehl. The realistic book is about a boy named Billy Allbright and a traveling life with his mom around America. Billy mom is a religious person and think they are the reason for their travling life. But then Bill mom was keeping a scret from him about his dad. So he then goes to bible camp and gets in a treasure hunt in geocaching and meet certain people.

Things that I liked about the book is that you maybe surprised of w
Lyn
Nov 09, 2012 Lyn rated it it was ok
Shelves: 1-ya
Sixteen-year-old Billy Allbright and his mother travel from city to city, stamping out evil along the way. They don't live anywhere for long. The story begins in Independence, Missouri. Billy and his mother arrive there in what will be the seventeenth town they've lived in since Billy was born. Usually Billy prefers homeschooling to being the new kid in every school. In Independence, he chooses to go to school to avoid whatever trouble his mother will get into when she takes on the Mormon Church ...more
Katie Cooper
Sep 15, 2011 Katie Cooper rated it it was amazing
At the beginning, I had no idea where this book was going. About halfway through, I still had no idea where this book was going, but I was enjoying the ride. When they got to Burning Man, I really had no idea where this book was going, but it was entertaining. There's a LOT of stuff going on in this book. If you liked Huck Finn, you'll love all the references to it since this is essentially a retelling of the story. If you don't mind a little God-musing and some gay explanations that may or may ...more
E. Majerus
Apr 01, 2012 E. Majerus rated it liked it
There's a lot to like about this book. The plot was interesting, I found the character Ruah Branch quite likeable, and I appreciated the way Meehl used the main character Billy's bible-based homophobia as an implicit critique of homophobia (and in doing so mirrored the ways that Mark Twain uses Huck Finn's crises of conscience regarding helping an escaping slave to illustrate the inhumanity of slavery.) I also appreciated the way the novel challenges mainstream Christian ideas without devaluing ...more
Sue
Feb 21, 2012 Sue rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Billy Albright is 16 years old and is on his 16th move. He and his mother are the self proclaimed Jesus throated Whac-A-Moles. They move a lot because they let folks know when they are not doing the right thing – going against what Jesus would want them to do. This doesn’t go over well in the small towns they have been living in, so they move to another small town and start again. Billy thinks his dad is dead. When Billy finds out his father isn’t dead, Billy starts on a road trip to learn more ...more
Alma  Ramos-McDermott
Jun 13, 2012 Alma Ramos-McDermott rated it it was ok
Sixteen-year-old Billy had been steeped in all things Christian and Bible based by his mom since he was born. They believed their job was to remove anything they thought was non-Christian, from the word “Devil” on foods to Tickle Me Elmo’s hair. As a result of their actions, they lived in numerous states fleeing from the law.

Billy had his own set of Huck Finn-type adventures across the country as he geo-caches clues from the dead father he never met to find a rare book written as a sequel to Hu
Claire
The story of young Billy- part of the dynamic duo of himself and his uber fundamentalist mother who comprise the Jesus Brigade. Mom says Dad is dead.
As one person said this is a hard sell to the religious and too religious for the non religious.
That said
Billy is ready to bust out of the restrictive life his mother has laid out. It has been the two of them against the world- he has been home schooled all along- they bounce from city to city; no friends and too religious for most churches...
Now B
Christian
Jun 20, 2011 Christian rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
This book reminded me that it takes me a bit to get into Meehl's style, but once I'm there, I really enjoy it. His writing is generally solid, and his characters are always interesting. Of course, with this book, it helps that The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is the inspiration.

What most impressed me was the apparent ease that Meehl converted the 19th-century issue of race and personhood to the contemporary issue of homosexuality and personhood. In the process, he even got me to feel some sym
Bmankiewicz
Jan 25, 2013 Bmankiewicz rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
Another book using a classic as a crutch to appear literary? As Billy heads out to find his father and some supposed treasure, he encounters various people and adventures. The problem is the characters sound like mouthpieces for "interesting" ideas the author wants you to think about, rather than real people. The book reads like a list of reasons why you should challenge the religious beliefs you grew up with, including attitudes towards homosexuality. Some of the adventurous parts are good, but ...more
Oct 01, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-reads
Although initially not obviously faithful to its source, Brian Meehl’s You Don’t Know About Me offers a hilarious and moving tale that draws its inspiration from Huckleberry Finn and the notes Twain left regarding his intentions for the unwritten sequel. The journey takes place in a camper rather than on a raft, and features a born-again hero named Billy Albright who geocaches his way across the American West – stopping, among other places, at Burning Man along the way - in search of his long-lo ...more
Jacqueline
Feb 02, 2013 Jacqueline rated it liked it
I wouldn't term this book a re-imagining of Huck Finn as the book jacket does, but a companion to it instead. Billy Albright is extremely unlikable for most of the book, the "find my real father plot line pushes right to the edge of belief and the "parent suddenly has a change of heart" ending feels tacked on and rushed.

However, the humor in the book is sharp with plenty of laugh out loud moments that it makes the book worth a read and the runway baseball player with a secret is interesting and
Jeffrey
Mar 20, 2013 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
I would say it is more like 4.75 stars.

When I first started reading, I really had no idea where the book was going. Was it written by a right wing conservative, and there would be no redeeming qualities to it, or would it take another direction and be about a boy changing his view of the world. Thankfully, it was the latter. If it hadn't been, I wouldn't have given it 4 stars, that is for sure.

I actually really enjoyed the meshing of the bible and Huck Finn into this book. Everyone talks about h
Theresa
Mar 01, 2012 Theresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, glbt
My only qualm with this book was that there was a little too much slang that I think the author just made up.
But I loved that there wasn't just one arc to this story- not just one climax to reach- it continued on with lots of parts and he didn't just shove through to get to the end. And it made me want to read Huck Finn, because I bet this story would have been even better if I knew Huck Finn's whole storyline.
Plus, I kind of wish I could have gone to the festival just to meet Spring and her g
Rachel
Jul 06, 2013 Rachel rated it it was ok
Anne
Dec 05, 2011 Anne rated it did not like it
Billy is a self-proclaimed ninja for Jesus. He lives with his mom, thinking that his dad is dead – until he gets a package (a Bible and a DVD) in the mail telling him differently. Billy sets off on a road trip following the instructions in the package.
Kids who are religious will not read this because they will find it blasphemous. Kids who are not religious will not read this because it shoves religion down one's throat. A really hard sell; I could not finish it myself.
Jeanette Johnson
Sep 24, 2012 Jeanette Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I liked this book quite a bit. The author took us on a zigzag journey. It encompasses a wide range of emotions. Billy travels 1000's of miles geo-cashing clues left to him from his deceased father whom he never had an opportunity to meet. Throw in a bible thumping rebel mother, a gay (in the closet) famous baseball player, a couple making an un-action movie and other random events and you have this funny and introspective coming of age story.
Emily
Aug 07, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
When I started reading this I was expecting a cheesy story about a boy on a raft just like Huck Finn. I was happily surprised to find it to be a great book involving a plot actually talking about Huck Finn, and paralleling it as well. It's also quite funny. Overall I thought this was a worthwhile read :)

Kristin
Sep 30, 2011 Kristin rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I wasn't so sure about it because I am not a big fan of the fundamentalists but I loved the character addition of Ruah on the journey. I particularly liked the conversation held on page 210 and 211. It was really interesting!!!
Amreena S
Jul 09, 2012 Amreena S rated it liked it
This book was so slow in the middle. I felt like it easily could have been shorter. I was literally forcing myself to continue reading it, because I hate leaving a book. Some people might enjoy this type of writing, but it drives me crazy.
Jessica
Oct 27, 2015 Jessica rated it liked it
Weird but interesting. A weird twist on a story that made me uncomfortable that I literally couldn't put down. Decent book. Billy's story is one that provides some answers to a lot of common Christian teen questions.
Jodi
Feb 17, 2012 Jodi rated it did not like it
Poor fact checking. For example Mormon temples do not have crosses on them. Other than that it was just a strange ride with ideas about how the Bible is interpreted differently. I didn't like it.
Logan
Jun 18, 2011 Logan rated it liked it
Overkill on anti-gay slurs but as a huge baseball fan I liked the ending. Also, I think a reader would need a pretty comprehensive knowledge of Huck Finn to really "get" the story.
Lara
Jul 08, 2011 Lara rated it really liked it
It started slowly, but things picked up pretty quickly. I liked the parallel with Huck Finn. It has almost inspired me to go back and read Huck Finn again! I recommend it for HS students.
Cook Memorial Public Library
Dec 18, 2013 Cook Memorial Public Library rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Recommended by staffer Heather B.

Check our catalog: http://encore.cooklib.org/iii/encore/...
єɱɱą
Aug 31, 2012 єɱɱą rated it it was ok
a little too religious, and kind of boring, but it was okay :) a fun plot, and i did like some of the characters.
Heather Love
Mar 21, 2013 Heather Love rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
A warmly funny and thought provoking road trip novel, styled after Twain's Huck Finn.
PokedexMaster
Sep 20, 2013 PokedexMaster rated it liked it
This book is very nice! The main character is very pious throughout the book!!
Megan (The Book Babe)
please read my review at thebookbabesreads.blogspot.com
  • Wilfair
  • My Life, the Theater, and Other Tragedies
  • This Thing Called the Future
  • The Accidental Genius of Weasel High
  • Rob&Sara.com
  • Deceived: Lured from the Truth (Secrets, #5)
  • Sign Language
  • Addie on the Inside (The Misfits, #3)
  • A Secret Edge
  • My Not-So-Still Life
  • This One Time with Julia: First Edition
  • Blow Out the Moon
  • The Last Domino
  • Subway Girl
  • If I Could Fly
  • Seriously, Norman!
  • Hit The Road, Manny (The Manny Files #2)
  • Wolf Mark