Start by marking “Jade Tiger” as Want to Read:
Jade Tiger

Jade Tiger

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  81 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews

Jade Tiger, by Jenn Reese (Unabridged)

Shan Westfall—halfChinese, halfAmerican, one hundred percent kung fu badass—is on a mission to recover five mystical jade animals before they fall into the wrong hands.

Over 15 years ago, Shan's mother led a secret society of female martial artists sworn to protect the statues. When the Jade Circle lost four of the five statues during a

Audio CD, 0 pages
Published October 27th 2009 by Audio Realms (first published November 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Jade Tiger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jade Tiger

Angela
Apr 23, 2008 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Jenn Reese's Jade Tiger is not a book to be taken seriously, but this isn't a bad thing. It reads very much like a lighthearted martial arts flick, and there are certainly times when that's exactly what I want to read.

It didn't hurt in the slightest, either, that the love interest in the book was a skinny, geeky scientific type with sticky-uppy brown hair, brown eyes, narrow features, and a prominent nose. And there were also several scenes towards the end where he was running around in a tuxedo
E.M. Tippetts
Jul 14, 2011 E.M. Tippetts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm being totally unfair, holding Jenn Reese to a higher standard. I put four stars so that I have room to upgrade to five stars for her not just well written stuff, like this novel, but her mind-bending, sear-into-memory, windows-into-alternate-realities that she creates. I first met Jenn at the Hidden City workshop, and read her short story about children in gangs organized by a beagle who must decide which species truly deserves their loyalty - yes, that was the premise, and it was one of the ...more
Moondoodle
This book was like reading a YA fantasy novel written for faux feminist "strong female" loving women who want to indulge in a Romance novel. It is labeled fantasy. It is not. It is romance. I personally decided to take it upon myself to edit the parts that the editor should have taken out simply because I payed for this so I had to finish it.
Like most YA fantasy I have read, I was extremely frustrated and annoyed by the decently interesting plot that kept getting submerged and overlooked so tha
Jim
Jun 10, 2007 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished reading Jade Tiger last night. This is not only the debut novel from Jenn Reese, but also the lead title for Juno Books, a new paranormal romance line from Prime Books/Wildside Press.

Let me put it this way. With two little kids at home, I have a desperate craving for sleep. But I stayed up late to finish the book.

Jade Tiger tells the tale of Shan, one of the last survivors of the Jade Circle, a martial arts group dedicated to the teaching of women. The circle was attacked years ago,
Joanna
Sep 23, 2007 Joanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keepers
Book Review - Jade Tiger by Jenn Reese

If you're looking for a ass-kicking chick who can save the world, her heritage and herself while still finding time to have a hot romance, Jade Tiger is the book for you.

This book is the story of a Chinese-American girl, Shan, whose sole purpose in life is to reunite the jade animals which were separated after the Jade Circle (society/village/training area) was destroyed when she was a young girl in China. She gets a break when one of the animals is photogr
Hallie
Mar 16, 2011 Hallie added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hallie by: Stephanie Burgis (indirectly)
Shelves: fantasy
Another that's difficult to rate! I guess it'd average out at about three and a half stars, as there were elements I loved and others that I didn't, and some of the elements I loved seemed to be dropped, rather -- a sequel? The ending felt as if it might be setting up for one, certainly.

The things I loved include Shan herself, and her committment to her quest to retrieve the individual figures of the jade circle, and Ian, the delightfully geeky-as-attractive romantic interest. Things I didn't l
Evelynn
Mar 01, 2016 Evelynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book reminded me of one of those cheesy martial arts movies in book form. However the plot was good. The climax area reminded me of James Bond.
That said, having a martial arts fight on land dividers in a pool---totally unrealistic but hilarious. I think Shan's revelation at the end was very sudden and wasn't all the believable.
Eric
Meow...more like Jade Pussycat. Not a bad read though.
Mark
Oct 30, 2011 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I enjoyed this book. It took a little bit to get into this book it but I liked it. The plot is simple and some what predictable but the characters are endearing. Shan is a kick but female martial artist who is searching for her heritage. Her outlook on life and values are what every hero should be. I particularly liked the her devotion to helping those who can not help themselves. The fight scenes were dramatic without getting too wordy and technical. All in all, it was an easy read that will en ...more
Lydia
Sep 16, 2013 Lydia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In this, my friend's first published novel, there is much to be lauded and much to mourn. Unfortunately, the plot, action and storyline feel like a bad James Bond movie.

However, in this first effort, one can easily see Jenn's ability to develop characters, theme and background.

While I will not recommend this novel, I am glad to have read it.
Thisgurl
While I'm enjoying this title, it seems to be going on way too long. And I'm kinda wishing it would get to the point. Not to mention it is starting to sound very familiar. Parts of it anyway. Ever heard of the Bruce Lee movie Enter the Dragon? This is reading a lot like that. But it's also inspiring me to once again look into martial arts.

Paula
Oct 19, 2009 Paula rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Listened to this on the long drives to and from classes. DH thought I'd like it. This book seemed like it was written to be made into a fantasy martial arts film. Kinda cheesy but okay. Quite descriptive of the violence and a sex scene between two main characters.
Barbara
Exciting, adventure, romance, martial arts. What more could a children's librarian want? Sometimes you just have to read something else. Jenn (the author) joined our book club and I'm really glad she was willing to give me a copy to read. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
Sep 28, 2008 Cindi (cheesygiraffe) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-read
Enjoyable but could have been fleshed out more. I would have liked it more if there was more into the characters and especially if the we could have learned more about Shan's mother. I hope this author writes again. She has a lot of potential.
Stephanie
Jun 16, 2009 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-sf-for-adults
This has become a comfort book I come back to again and again - it's my go-to book every time I'm sad or sick or just need a burst of fun, romance, and kick-ass, female-led martial arts. I absolutely love it!
Miriam
Sep 26, 2009 Miriam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
This fun, action-packed story is a melange of Indiana Jones and kung fu flick: an archaeology professor and a martial artist pursue stolen jade animals with mystical powers.
Gail Bradshaw
This was definitely not a young adult book, but I really appreciated the way the author described the fight scenes so well.
Joy
Dec 06, 2009 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite romance read of 2007.
Karen Desmond
Nov 02, 2011 Karen Desmond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Potter
Potter marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Shanika Hill
Shanika Hill marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Heather Stanley
Heather Stanley rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2015
Megan Branwen
Megan Branwen rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2015
Laz the Sailor
Laz the Sailor marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Dragons of Darkness
  • The Green Age of Asher Witherow
  • Water Thief (Universal Companions, #1)
  • The Ocean Dark: A Novel
  • Seduced by Crimson (Crimson City, #5)
  • Paper Cities: An Anthology of Urban Fantasy
  • Cibola (Dane Maddock #2)
  • The Hotel Under the Sand
  • Red Hot Renegade (Bennett #5)
  • Curses & Ash (Coral & Bone, #2)
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
  • Saint Julian
  • Warrior Spirit (Rogue Angel #9)
  • Forged Of Shadows (Marked Souls #2)
  • Racing the Dark (Spirit Binders, #1)
  • Wide Open (Wide Open, #1)
  • The Unintentional Time Traveler
  • Frosty Relations (A Witch’s Night Out, #2)
I write science fiction and fantasy adventure stories for readers of all ages. ABOVE WORLD is the first book in my middle grade series from Candlewick and was a finalist for the 2012 Andre Norton Award. The second book, MIRAGE, was released in March 2013, and the final book of the trilogy, HORIZON, is scheduled for April 2014. My first novel, JADE TIGER, is a kung fu action adventure romance for o ...more
More about Jenn Reese...