Start by marking “The Race: A Novel of Grit, Tactics, and the Tour de France” as Want to Read:
The Race: A Novel of Grit, Tactics, and the Tour de France

The Race: A Novel of Grit, Tactics, and the Tour de France

The white-knuckle pace of a bicycle race drives this novel about a young American's opportunity to compete in the Tour de France. Complex relationships with teammates, personal and professional obstacles, and a terrible disaster cause the young cyclist to redefine his limits. An insider's perspective on the world of professional bicycle racing reveals that the required tac ...more
Published May 1st 2004 by Three Story Press

To ask other readers questions about The Race, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Race

Jtomassetti
Feb 04, 2010 Jtomassetti rated it liked it
Shelves: bicycling
THE RACE by Dave Shields is an entertaining fictional story about the Tour De France. Overall I enjoyed the book in spite of a few flaws. I dislike overly simplified, seemingly stupid villains. The book would have been much better if the villains were much more subtle. Also it was easy to guess a lot of the plot. Nevertheless it was still entertaining and I plan to read the second book THE TOUR.
Dianne
Aug 08, 2007 Dianne rated it really liked it
This was a fun book and a pretty quick read. Following the real race is more fun but that can only happen during July, so this is a good form of off-season entertainment. The book follows one (fictional) person in particular, so you get to know his inner story, which doesn't happen while following the race at-large.
Miriam
May 27, 2011 Miriam rated it liked it
A coworkers suggested this book to me saying it was really good. For not knowing much about bike racing I did learn an awful lot. I already respected cyclist, but now I completely do. It was a pretty exciting read and was entertained.
Michelegg
Feb 04, 2009 Michelegg rated it really liked it
Awesome book about the Tour de France. I read it while we watched Lance Armstrong win his 7th Tour, so it was very exciting. It was a gripping book, I couldn't put it down. It inspired me to be more physically fit and ride my bike more often.
Ross
Apr 02, 2008 Ross rated it it was ok
See my comments on The Tour
Sarah Eckert
Dec 28, 2009 Sarah Eckert rated it liked it
Cool little book. Not sure if it's real to life (bicycle racers whose reviews are all over the book say it is), but inspirational none-the-less.
Ralph
May 19, 2010 Ralph rated it really liked it
Fast paced adventure of a fictional leg of the Tour de France. Couldn't put it down!
Ryan
Jun 07, 2007 Ryan rated it it was amazing
Good book for those either into cycling or into a good sports book. A quick and easy read, that gives you an inside glimpse into the world of professional cycling.
Ohenrypacey
Aug 09, 2011 Ohenrypacey rated it liked it
***
Bo Trapnell
Jun 13, 2014 Bo Trapnell rated it really liked it
While the writing was a little cliche, it's nice to read fiction of the cycling world.
Max
Oct 21, 2010 Max rated it really liked it
Great book. Gives alot of info about what it would be like to be in the tour de france. Also a great story involved.
Mar 19, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Engaging, and easy to read story. It explains a lot about bike racing, but in an interesting way (and I'm not just saying that b/c my husband is a cyclist).
Annalise
Feb 17, 2008 Annalise rated it liked it
Shelves: 2007
Read this to support Brandon's cycling and love for the Tour de France. Would be fun to read around Tour time. Gives insight into how the sport works.
Michael Szpir
Michael Szpir rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2010
Doug
Doug rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2014
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2008
Matt Miltenberg
Matt Miltenberg rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2009
David
David rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2014
Dave Shields
Dave Shields rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2012
D.E. Osborne
D.E. Osborne rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2012
Kent
Kent rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2009
Rob Millenaar
Rob Millenaar rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2014
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it it was ok
Nov 27, 2007
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2012
Matthew Haughey
Matthew Haughey rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Sam
Sam rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2014
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2013
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
May 16, 2008
Jim Cangany
Jim Cangany rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2013
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2007