The Race: A Novel of Grit, Tactics, and the Tour de France

The Race: A Novel of Grit, Tactics, and the Tour de France

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The white-knuckle pace of a bicycle race drives this novel about a young American's opportunity to compete in the Tour de France. Complex relationships with teammates, personal and professional obstacles, and a terrible disaster cause the young cyclist to redefine his limits. An insider's perspective on the world of professional bicycle racing reveals that the required tac...more
Published May 1st 2004 by Three Story Press

To ask other readers questions about The Race, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Race

Moneyball by Michael LewisFriday Night Lights by H.G. BissingerSeabiscuit by Laura HillenbrandThe Blind Side by Michael LewisFever Pitch by Nick Hornby
Top reads for sports fans
335th out of 521 books — 496 voters
Purple by Graham J. SharpeWicked Eddies by Beth GroundwaterBuying Time by Kelly CochranIron City by David Scott MiltonThe Race by Dave Shields
Books Written by My Friends
5th out of 7 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Bo Trapnell
While the writing was a little cliche, it's nice to read fiction of the cycling world.
Dianne
This was a fun book and a pretty quick read. Following the real race is more fun but that can only happen during July, so this is a good form of off-season entertainment. The book follows one (fictional) person in particular, so you get to know his inner story, which doesn't happen while following the race at-large.
Michele
Awesome book about the Tour de France. I read it while we watched Lance Armstrong win his 7th Tour, so it was very exciting. It was a gripping book, I couldn't put it down. It inspired me to be more physically fit and ride my bike more often.
Miriam
A coworkers suggested this book to me saying it was really good. For not knowing much about bike racing I did learn an awful lot. I already respected cyclist, but now I completely do. It was a pretty exciting read and was entertained.
Ryan
Good book for those either into cycling or into a good sports book. A quick and easy read, that gives you an inside glimpse into the world of professional cycling.
Annalise
Read this to support Brandon's cycling and love for the Tour de France. Would be fun to read around Tour time. Gives insight into how the sport works.
Engaging, and easy to read story. It explains a lot about bike racing, but in an interesting way (and I'm not just saying that b/c my husband is a cyclist).
Sarah Eckert
Cool little book. Not sure if it's real to life (bicycle racers whose reviews are all over the book say it is), but inspirational none-the-less.
Max
Great book. Gives alot of info about what it would be like to be in the tour de france. Also a great story involved.
Ralph
Fast paced adventure of a fictional leg of the Tour de France. Couldn't put it down!
Ross
See my comments on The Tour
Matt Hoyle
Matt Hoyle marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2013
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Tour Pendulum's Path Term Limits: An Evolutionary Fix for Marriage Tour de Life