Start by marking “Poetry Matters: Writing a Poem from the Inside Out” as Want to Read:
Poetry Matters: Writing a Poem from the Inside Out
Preview

Poetry Matters: Writing a Poem from the Inside Out

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Maybe you've heard before that poetry is magic, and it made you roll your eyes, but I believe it's true. Poetry matters. At the most important moments, when everyone else is silent, poetry rises to speak.

I wrote this book to help you write poems and to give practical ideas for making your poems sound the way you want them to sound. We're not going to smash poems up into th
Published June 22nd 2010 by HarperCollins (first published February 19th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Poetry Matters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poetry Matters

Marianna Monaco
for young writers and for me too
a sample:
Dawn picks
bits of dark
from between
the blades of grass . . .
The Reading Countess
I had to request this book from another library (none other than the Barbara Bush library!) but Fletcher didn't disappoint. Written in kid-friendly language, full of wonderful poetry examples, and complete with interviews of current poets, Poetry Matters is a great book for both students and teachers alike. The common thread the poets said? Read! "Never write more than you read." Yes!

*()=my thoughts

"At the most important moments, when everyone else is silent, poetry rises to speak."
3 pillars of
Jean
I enjoyed this little book written to an audience of young (school age) writers. My favorite quote was a poem (imagine that!):

Please bury me in the library
In the clean, well-lighted stacks
Of Novels, History, Poetry
Right next to the Paperbacks,

Where the Kids’ Books dance
With True Romance
And the Dictionary dozes.

Please bury me in the library
With a dozen long-stemmed proses
Way back by a rack of Magazines.

I won’t be sad too often
If they bury me in the library
With Bookworms in my coffin.

J. Patric
Srb
I actually found this book when ordering a bunch of poetry books on barnesandnoble.com, it came up as a book that might fit what I was looking for. I think it was a great addition to my collection for poetry to use with my 4th grade class.

The author discusses some important things to think about when looking at poetry. He offers some suggestions for poems that have helped him as he wrote his own collection.

The basis of the book is not to analyze poems by criteria. In fact, he quotes a student
Gabie Hannays
After finishing reading the book so far i love how the author would included many short poems that he puts in once or twice at every chapter. I am enjoying the book because i get to expand my mine on how to write poetry, i have always loved poetry and this books lets me know what are the things you need to write in a poet. He makes poetry interesting and fun to learn. Fletcher internal traits are very fragile because he's a very poor man who makes almost 20 dollars a week and its almost Christm ...more
Luis Branco
It is a special book for poetry writers and lovers. It is not a deep and complex book on the subject, actually I think that it touches only the surface of the subject, but is not without merit at all and deserve our reading and full attention.
Scott To
Poetry Matters, by Ralph Fletcher, is a educating book. This book taught me about poems and how to write them. I had very little experience with poetry before I read this book. I think that I'm going to look forward to looking at this authors books. The expression, Writing a poem from the inside out is a very true meaning.

I recommend this book to anyone who want's to learn more about poems and the different forms of poems. I've learned many forms of poems while reading this book. At the end of
Melanie
This is a great book for would-be poets of any age! Fletcher has included many short poems from both published and unpublished poets as well as interviews with 3 poets. Part 1 is entitled "Lighting the Spark" and part 2 is "Nurturing the Flame". The spark will make you want to read and write poetry and the flame will inspire you to keep working at it!
Jen Munnerlyn
This book has been ordered for the 2009-10 school year on the advice of Katherine Casey who led the NESA Literacy Coaching group meeting in Jordan in November, 2008.

As we develop a unit of study in poetry in the intermediate grades and enhance our work in the primary grades this book might be beneficial.
Beth
Mar 31, 2013 Beth rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Beth by: My daughter, Hannah
Shelves: poetry, writing
Excellent, practical, and inspiring. Mr. Fletcher may have written this with young, student poets in mind. But my grown-up self found a lot of value in this little book. I'll be sad when my daughter turns it back into her Reading teacher; so we'll have to buy our own copy!
Leslie Beers-huskins
Must have for writing teachers/students.
HeavyReader
Oct 18, 2007 HeavyReader rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: poets of all ages
This book is intended for young people (proabably in grades 4 through 8), but I think it could be helpful for adults too. I learned some new things and got some good tips on writing poetry.
Maggie
I'm reading this to my class in an attempt to understand 'how and why' poets write their poetry, so that we as readers of poetry are better equipped to analyze and interpret poems.
Laura Siegel
I usually don't enjoy "how-to" books but I loved this one. The author gives simple helpful tips and wonderful examples. He makes poetry seem like fun and worth a try.
Jone
Aug 07, 2007 Jone rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers and would be poets
I found this book at a New AGe bookstore of all places. I like the "secret tools" that Fletcher talks about in this book. It will be useful with my poetry club.
As with his other books, Fletcher makes writing approachable and fun for kids. And adults will learn a thing or two as well. (I did!)
Bridget R. Wilson
The most interesting thing about this book was the cover. If you want a poetry writing book for kids, read Prelutsky's.
Julie
This is a good book if you are a beginning poetry writer or want to learn about the basics of poetry.
Jimmy
An excellent book for young writers. I use it in tutoring and it works very well.
Debbie
Another book by Ralph Fletcher that's great to use in the classroom.
10-11 Kathryn
It was interesting and I learned so much about poetry!
Alexa
Great insight on poetry! I think it'll help!
Naomi Meredith
Naomi Meredith is currently reading it
Apr 22, 2015
Karen Dransfield
Karen Dransfield is currently reading it
Apr 09, 2015
Andrea
Andrea added it
Apr 01, 2015
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
  • Notebook Know-How: Strategies for the Writer's Notebook
  • Awakening the Heart: Exploring Poetry in Elementary and Middle School
  • Study Driven: A Framework for Planning Units of Study in the Writing Workshop
  • Nonfiction Matters: Reading, Writing, and Research in Grades 3-8
  • Nonfiction Craft Lessons: Teaching Information Writing K-8
  • Wishes, Lies, and Dreams: Teaching Children to Write Poetry
  • Lessons That Change Writers: Lessons with 3-Ring Binder [With Three Ring Binder Full of Lessons]
  • Blending Genre, Altering Style: Writing Multigenre Papers
  • After "The End": Teaching and Learning Creative Revision
  • Teaching Adolescent Writers
  • Adolescent Literacy: Turning Promise Into Practice
  • The Art of Teaching Reading
  • Mosaic of Thought: Teaching Comprehension in a Reader's Workshop
  • Reading with Meaning
  • Guiding Readers and Writers: Teaching Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
  • Write Beside Them: Risk, Voice, and Clarity in High School Writing
  • Spaces & Places: Designing Classrooms for Literacy
  • Growing Readers: Units of Study in the Primary Classroom
Ralph Fletcher is a friend of young writers and readers as well as writing teachers. He has written or co-authored many books for writing teachers includng Writing Workshop: The Essential Guide, Teaching the Qualities of Writing, Lessons for the Writer's Notebook, Boy Writers: Reclaiming Their Voices, and Pyrotechnics on the Page: Playful Craft That Sparks Writing. Ralph has worked with teachers a ...more
More about Ralph Fletcher...
Flying Solo Fig Pudding Writing Workshop: The Essential Guide from the Authors of Craft Lessons A Writer's Notebook: Unlocking the Writer Within You Craft Lessons