Start by marking “The Best American Crime Writing: 2003 Edition: The Year's Best True Crime Reporting” as Want to Read:

This year's worth of the most powerful, the most startling, the smartest and most astute, in short, the best crime journalism. Scouring hundreds of publications, Otto Penzler and Thomas H. Cook have created a remarkable compilation containing the best examples of the most current and vibrant of our literary traditions: crime reporting.

Included in this volume are Maximillia

Published August 4th 2010 by Knopf Group E-Books (first published August 19th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Best American Crime Writing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best American Crime Writing

Catten
Dec 04, 2008 Catten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best American Crime Writing 2003 contains 20 essays that appeared in 2002 on the pages of The New York Times, Harper's Magazine, Esquire, Texas Monthly, and others. The writing styles vary as widely as the topics. Editors Otto Penzler and Thomas H. Cook note in the book's introduction that the events on September 11, 2001 result in this volume leaning more heavily (but not exclusively) toward international and political events.

Crime occurs constantly and produces varying levels of revulsion, dis
Brenda
Feb 03, 2015 Brenda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok this anthology of true crime stories, had some fantastic writing and would easily have gotten 5 stars, if the editors had not chosen some really dumb "crimes" to report about.
First off, I'll list the dumb ones, "Sex, Lies & Video Cameras", "How Two Lives Met in Death", "The Terrible Boy", "My Undertaker, My Pimp", "The Bully of Toulon", "A Woman's Work", "Dirty Little Secret", "Big Shot", "Mad Dogs and Lawyers", these stories did not belong among anything considered the "Best" of America
Peter Lindstrom
Like most anthologies, some outstanding and some so-so stories—I encountered this book looking up a story that appeared in the Atlantic entitled "The Keystone Kommandos," about the ill-conceived Nazi plan to sabotage the U.S. which lead to the poorly reasoned memo that keeping Gitmo open. Along the way I went down memory lane with Enron, Curtis Thompson of Toulon, IL (google it, if you don't know the story), prosecuting the engineers of the Rwandan genocide & a host of interesting, but far l ...more
Nellie
Nov 17, 2012 Nellie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A poignant reminder of the human ability to do terrible things to other humans. It was a good read, definitely some fine crime writing. Being that it is a six year old publication, it brought back to mind some of the horrors of the early 21st century - September 11th, the Rwandan massacres, terrorism, along with the ongoing horrors of the sex trade.

I still recommend that you read this is you enjoy crime writing, as it is a collection of very well written essays. Painful, but well worth the time
Ptreick
Jul 25, 2013 Ptreick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some really great writing here on a variety of crimes. A few seemed rather one-note, but then, I'm reading this book ten years late, and I might be projecting irrelevance on the subject. What I especially loved was the writer's notes at the end; fascinating to see how a story hooks a journalist and simply can't let him/her go until the story is told.

"Terrible Boy" by Tom Junod is an essay I'll be using in my Intro to Lit class this fall. Painfully fantastic.
Kurt
May 20, 2010 Kurt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of these true crime pieces are creepy as hell. I've loved most of the books in Penzler's series and have worked my way back through the years of publication. For some reason, this set of tales is full of crazy violence and inhumanity. A few nicely written accounts ... but several Outside magazine and Men's Journal-type hack pieces, too.
Aug 26, 2015 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is very good writing indeed, about some very sad subjects, including Jayson Williams killing the man who drove his party one night, the dogs that killed the woman in her apartment bldg in San Francisco and sex traffickers in Eastern Europe. I didn't read all of them, eventually I found them too depressing.
Kay Sundstrom
Apr 04, 2012 Kay Sundstrom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read these every year except for the last few due to the interference of life. But I like the series, the writing ranges from brilliant to simply ok, but there is one that makes the book worthwhile.
Melissa
Feb 04, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melissa by: Joanna P.
Shelves: 2011, non-fiction
i was recommended this one by my friend joanna who described it as a cross between law & order and the new yorker. if that sounds appealing to you as it did to me i would recommend giving this a try. i will definitely be checking out future editions.
Joe  Noir
Feb 28, 2013 Joe Noir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first three volumes in this series, those published in the US by Vintage, were the best. All the volumes in this series are good. Non-fiction crime from a variety of sources, and covering a multitude of sins.
Sarah Funke
Jul 28, 2007 Sarah Funke marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
With Berendt's intro.
Martha
Mar 10, 2008 Martha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Essay fans, true crime fans.
This was a really great collection of crime articles from newspapers. I like essays and these were extremely interesting and entertaining, and not in the exact form as true crime books.
Jenny Linsel
Mar 26, 2013 Jenny Linsel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book.Very informative and enlightening insight into the criminal mind.
john quigley
john quigley rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2015
Jesse
Aug 07, 2013 Jesse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicely curated.
Cat
Cat rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2013
Sean Condon
Sean Condon rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2013
John
John rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2014
Ned Carriger
Ned Carriger rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2014
Maximilian DePaul
Maximilian DePaul rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2015
Anish Chandy
Anish Chandy rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2010
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Gloria McKeague
Gloria McKeague rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2008
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2015
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2015
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2013
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2014
Veronica Torina
Veronica Torina rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2014
Denise
Denise rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2007
Angie
Angie rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Best American Crime Writing 2006
  • The Best American Crime Reporting 2009
  • The Best American Crime Writing 2005 (Best American Crime Reporting)
  • The Best American Crime Reporting 2007
  • The Best American Crime Reporting 2008
  • Made Men
  • Killer Colt: Murder, Disgrace, and the Making of an American Legend
  • The Art of the Heist: Confessions of a Master Thief
  • The Good Rat
  • The Devil's Dozen: How Cutting-Edge Forensics Took Down 12 Notorious Serial Killers
  • Rothstein: The Life, Times, and Murder of the Criminal Genius Who Fixed the 1919 World Series
  • The Murder of Jim Fisk for the Love of Josie Mansfield: A Tragedy of the Gilded Age
  • Delivered from Evil: True Stories of Ordinary People Who Faced Monstrous Mass Killers and Survived
  • The Fence: A Police Cover-up Along Boston's Racial Divide
  • Skyjack: The Hunt for D.B. Cooper
  • Killers: the Most Barbaric Murderers of Our Times
  • Final Analysis: The Untold Story of the Susan Polk Murder Case
  • Jack the Ripper
Otto Penzler is an editor of mystery fiction in the United States, and proprietor of The Mysterious Bookshop in New York City, where he lives.

Otto Penzler founded The Mysteriour Press in 1975 and was the publisher of The Armchair Detective, the Edgar-winning quarterly journal devoted to the study of mystery and suspense fiction, for seventeen years.

Penzler has won two Edgar Awards, for The Encycl
More about Otto Penzler...