Highland Promise

Highland Promise (Murray Family #3)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  1,441 ratings  ·  39 reviews
In the conclusion of her sweeping trilogy of the Murray brothers, "New York Times"-bestselling author Howell revisits the Scottish Highlands of the 15th century, where an embattled knight meets his fate in a young beauty fleeing for her life. Reissue.
Published March 1st 2011 by Zebra (first published January 1st 1999)

Taria Reed
I liked the story but the whole "I love him/her but I can't tell them because I don't' want to possibly be rejected even though he/she has boinked me into oblivion and acts as if they care" scenarios. I know that's the general personal conflict between the men and women in this highland historicals so Before I get too fed up I'm going to take a break and find me a few vampires to cleanse my reading pallet.

Story - 3
Narrator - 3
Tina
Bethia Drummond is taking her dead sister’s baby and running from her kinfolk. They are evil and bent on power and destruction, and she knows she has to save her sister’s baby from growing up in that atmosphere. In the woods, she is about to be robbed when she meets Eric Murray, who saves her and the babe from the robbers. As he delivers them to safety, he also steals her heart. Bethia finds that Eric is trying to find his people, who are enemies of the clan Bethia is from. How can she be with a...more
Dawn
When Bethia has figured out that her sister and husband have been murdered at the hand of their laird. So she escapes one night with her young nephew in tow to go home to safety. On her way she meets Eric who feels the need to protect this interesting young woman and her nephew. Quite soon Eric and Bethia learn they have quite the attraction to each other.

This is actually the third book in the trilogy Highland DestinyHighland Honorwhich I did not know at the time when I picked it up. It truly do...more
Cruth
"Noisy, hairy things though men be, they can be verra fine to curl up with." loc.3040

Author: Hannah Howell
First published: 1999
Length: 4582 locations
Setting: Scotland, 1444. Scottish Highlands and Scottish Court.
Sex: frequent but not always explicit. She is pregnant for part of the story.
Heroine: Ignored and criticised by her parents since birth, Bethia struggles with the toll emotional abuse has taken on her.
Series: Book 3 of the Howell's Highland series. Picks up 7 years after Book 2.

An easy t...more
April
HIGHLAND PROMISE(THE MURRAYS) by Hannah Howell is an exciting historical romance set in 1444 Scotland.This is the third and final installment in the "Highland Series" but can be read as a stand alone. "Highland Destiny and Highland Honor" are the other two in this series. This is the first I have read of this series but would have to say it was a great read.It is the tale of Sir Eric and Berthia.It is an adventurous tale of love,honor,betrayal,danger,sweet sensuality,finding a family to love you...more
Staci
This novel starts off better than the previous two in this series but it flounders once the two main characters are married. Sometimes the female protagonist, Bethia, is so naive you want to shake her. It takes her forever to realize the faults with her parents. Also, she is too easily tricked so that there are actually too many times in the book where she could have been killed despite the predictable happy ending of the book. Plus, the reasoning behind her dislike of Eric, the male protagonist...more
Ariana
I really hate the main female character Bethia! She just pissed me off so much. There were several times in this book I wanted to slap the hell out of Bethia! OMG! She was such a push over and let things slide to easily. Example: Hell no would I let my husbands former lover hang all over him in front of me while maintaining a sweet calm expression. (I would beat the bitch!!!) Ugh!!! Eric was a good guy, I liked him. Hardly no complaints on him. It's just stupid Bethia! I Hate that the dumb bitch...more
Diana
On his way to reclaim the lands that are rightfully his, Sir Eric Murray comes across Bethia Drummond and her nephew James under attack. Bethia has taken her nephew and is fleeing from the murderous relatives who have already killed her sister and her sister's husband in order to seize their lands for themselves.

Eric and Bethia are a compelling and likable couple, who get along perfectly from the beginning (which is always refreshing). There's a lot of the action storylines, with several land-se...more
Kaila
I enjoyed it but got a little impatient for some reason
K
Jan 24, 2012 K rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of historical romance
Recommended to K by: fan of series/websites
I must admit, I am quickly becoming addicted to this series and the Murray clan. As with the other books, I def enjoyed this book finding it a fun, enjoyable, read that once started I could not put down. One of the things I loved was seeing the growth and maturity of Bethia's character. I'm also liking Howell's description of Scotland and its warriors. I mean, who hasn't dreamed of a handsome knight coming to the rescue. Anywho, I would recommend this book to fans of historical romance and can't...more
Bridget
Eric Murray begins to achieve his birthright, both acknowledgement by his mother's family and to acquire his stronghold, currently in control of a relative of his deceased father. He meets Bethia, who is escaping with her baby nephew, and Eric assists her. Of course, they fall in love, etc. Howell actually does a nice job of twisting her plots to maintain interest. Not formulaic except in the boy meets girl part. Enjoyable and sexy.
Kathrynn
Jan 26, 2008 Kathrynn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Readers
This is the first in the Murray books, but the author's website states they are all meant as stand-alones. Actually, there's no point trying to read them in order because she wrote them out of order. But, I do consider this to be BOOK #1 in the Murray family because this is the parents of all the Murrays. They have a neat story and Eric was one of my favorites even if he was...er...vertically challenged.
Adriana Fogaça
Cavaleiro da Noite
Hannah Howell
Bianca 847
1999

Sempre acreditei que há algo de sensual nos gatos, não sei, talvez a forma de se mover, ou ronronar.

Não esperava que a mistura de gato com o lobo fosse ainda mais sensual.

Mas para meu deleite assim o é...

não irei mencionar detalhes...

não se deve estragar a diversão do leitor...

leia que você poderá ronronar também...

Recomendadíssimo!!!

ADORO!!!
Michelle
How can a man ignore a beauty in distress? While assisting the beautiful Bethia, Eric found himself a woman to love. For the most part I enjoyed this novel. The only real complaint was the character of Bethia. She annoyed me to no end. There were many times I really wanted to slap her. I know some people can be insecure, but it was taken a bit too far with her character. All in all, not a bad read.
Tania
I liked this story and the characters. a good easy read that made me want to read the other stories by the author. Bethia didn't think too highly of herself, but people do that. Eric's character is likable. This book is better than i thought it would be. I didn't know it was part of a series until after i finished it. Still a average, and good weekend book.
Ada
Very good read. These characters had a lot of depth and the emotions translated so clearly from the pages to me as I read. You can't help but root for Bethia and Eric, who both have many obstacles to overcome but still manage to find love. I think that helps is a great extended cast of characters.
Shauni
I read all of Ms Howell's books Back to Back to Back.. while this is a fun series I seriously do not recommend anyone doing so. The plots tend to be repetitious and run together. If you want to enjoy the Murray Clan, take your time.. there is much to enjoy just one at a time.
TJ
A good read but as the third in the Murray trilogy, the story-line turned out to be EXACTLY like the first two. That was a little dissappointing. A twist would have been nice, even the hero saying "I love you" first would have been a change.
Olivia
I am quickly growing to enjoy Howell's writing style. Her characters are easily likeable or easy to hate. The accents in this book were not near as hard to read as the previous book by her that I read. Howell's book are quick and fun to read.
Donna
Loved Eric & Bethia's story. My only complaint was I wanted to smck em both for not admitting their feeling till the end, and how could Eric have his mouth all over her and not notice changes at 4 months of pregnancy?
♥ Nell ♥
A solid story, loved the romance but hated the self doubts on both sides. I thought Bethia's parents we're horrible. I couldn't believe how many times the villain managed to get away untraceable.
L Shirey
Pretty good book.

I had a really good laugh when Eric's brother is called Niger. I of course had to go back and look to see if the brother was really Niger or Nigel Murray, like in Bones. :)
Maya
I was looking at the reviews and realized that a lot of people liked this book. I did too in a way, but it is not as entertaining as I thought. The story was ok, but it was a bit dull.
Melanie Jones
Another good book by Hannah Howell. Bethia was a great and she need to stand up to her parents, they make you so mad. Couldn't wait for them to get want was coming to them.
Petula
I am definitly addicted to this family. If I keep reading them I will be talking with a Scottish accent. l.o.l. That is not going to stop me.
Bradley
Fairly average for a historical romance. I am throwing this fish back into the water. Maybe it will garner us fifty cents at our garage sale. =)
Jill
I really liked this one as well--and was excited to read it when I realized it was the story of Gillyanne's (from Highland Bride) parents.
Nicis
Extrañaba leer estas novelas, se van en nada y no tienen ni gran historia ni argumento pero me distraen por completo (:
Darlene Daniel
it was a little sloww getting in too but then when it picked up it was a great story and funny
  • To Wed A Highlander (McTiernay Brothers, #2)
  • The Angel and the Highlander (Sinclare Brothers, #3)
  • Highland Outlaw (Campbell Trilogy, #2)
  • His Woman (MacGruder Brothers, #2)
  • Highland Hero (Scottish Knights Trilogy, #2)
  • Seduced by the Highlander (Highlander Trilogy, #3)
  • Seducing a Scottish Bride (MacKenzie, #6)
  • Warrior of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #2)
  • Taming the Highland Bride (Devil of the Highlands, #2)
  • Highlander in Disguise (Lockhart Family #2)
  • The Laird Who Loved Me (MacLean Curse, #5)
Hannah Dustin Howell is a best-selling American author of over 40 historical romance novels. Many of her novels are set in medieval Scotland. She also writes under the names Sarah Dustin, Sandra Dustin, and Anna Jennet (see below).

She has also used the following pseudonyms:
Anna Jennet, Sarah Dustin and Sandra Dustin
More about Hannah Howell...
Highland Destiny (Murray Family, #1) The Eternal Highlander (MacNachton Vampires #1) My Immortal Highlander (MacNachton Vampires, #3) Highland Bride (Murray Family, #6) (MacEnroys, #1) Highland Knight  (Murray Family, #5)