Start by marking “Highland Promise” as Want to Read:
Highland Promise

Highland Promise (Murray Family #3)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,127 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author Hannah Howell revisits the 15th century Scottish Highlands, where an embattled knight meets his fate in a young beauty fleeing for her life. . .

Published March 1st 2011 by Zebra (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Highland Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Highland Promise

Taria Reed
I liked the story but the whole "I love him/her but I can't tell them because I don't' want to possibly be rejected even though he/she has boinked me into oblivion and acts as if they care" scenarios. I know that's the general personal conflict between the men and women in this highland historicals so Before I get too fed up I'm going to take a break and find me a few vampires to cleanse my reading pallet.

Story - 3
Narrator - 3
Tina
May 04, 2011 Tina rated it really liked it
Bethia Drummond is taking her dead sister’s baby and running from her kinfolk. They are evil and bent on power and destruction, and she knows she has to save her sister’s baby from growing up in that atmosphere. In the woods, she is about to be robbed when she meets Eric Murray, who saves her and the babe from the robbers. As he delivers them to safety, he also steals her heart. Bethia finds that Eric is trying to find his people, who are enemies of the clan Bethia is from. How can she be with a ...more
Kin Caid
Nov 25, 2014 Kin Caid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
encore un très bon tome !
Michelle Tempted By Books
These books keep getting better.
Margaret
Jul 12, 2015 Margaret rated it really liked it

Eric Murray was the youngest of his brothers, determined to gain his rightful inheritance after thirteen years of bitter dispute with his father's family. Starting out alone to confront his tight-fisted kinsmen, he encountered a chestnut-haired beauty set upon by thieves. When she begged for Eric's protection for herself and her infant nephew, Eric promised to deliver them to safety. Bethia Drummond's only hope for escaping her ruthless kin, who planned to kill her and her orphaned nephew, and c

Gwen
Nov 19, 2014 Gwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J’ai beaucoup aimé le livre même si j’ai eu l’impression d’avoir déjà lu ce qu’il se passe dans ce roman dans un autre !
J’ai aimé le petit côté historique du livre qui montre bien qu’à l’époque tout n’est pas blanc ou noir. Les parents ne sont pas toujours gentils, d’autres usurpent les héritages…. L’auteur a su montrer sans aller dans le larmoyants que ce n’était pas une époque joyeuse tout en donnant envie de lire le livre, de tourner les pages.
Les personnages principaux et secondaires sont pl
Dawn
When Bethia has figured out that her sister and husband have been murdered at the hand of their laird. So she escapes one night with her young nephew in tow to go home to safety. On her way she meets Eric who feels the need to protect this interesting young woman and her nephew. Quite soon Eric and Bethia learn they have quite the attraction to each other.

This is actually the third book in the trilogy Highland DestinyHighland Honorwhich I did not know at the time when I picked it up. It truly do
Cruth
Aug 23, 2013 Cruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
"Noisy, hairy things though men be, they can be verra fine to curl up with." loc.3040

Author: Hannah Howell
First published: 1999
Length: 4582 locations
Setting: Scotland, 1444. Scottish Highlands and Scottish Court.
Sex: frequent but not always explicit. She is pregnant for part of the story.
Heroine: Ignored and criticised by her parents since birth, Bethia struggles with the toll emotional abuse has taken on her.
Series: Book 3 of the Howell's Highland series. Picks up 7 years after Book 2.

An easy t
April
HIGHLAND PROMISE(THE MURRAYS) by Hannah Howell is an exciting historical romance set in 1444 Scotland.This is the third and final installment in the "Highland Series" but can be read as a stand alone. "Highland Destiny and Highland Honor" are the other two in this series. This is the first I have read of this series but would have to say it was a great read.It is the tale of Sir Eric and Berthia.It is an adventurous tale of love,honor,betrayal,danger,sweet sensuality,finding a family to love you ...more
Samantha
This is a pretty typical highlander romance. These amount to meaningless trashy reading for me that I love--a good palate cleanser that doesn't require a ton of brain power. The story between Eric & Bethia was sweet, though I tend to get annoyed when the characters are always keeping secrets from each other. I know that's part of the "formula" for this genre, but it's so overdone. I would love honesty--it would be so refreshing.
Melissa
Nov 11, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hannah Howell reaches great heights with this novel. It is lovely, simply attention grabbing and full of intrigue. I don't like to use the word "intrigue" unless a novel truly deserves it.
Bethia and Eric are truly mated souls and belong together. It takes some time but eventually they both figure it out.
Manang Jean
Nov 26, 2014 Manang Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third book in the Murray clan series - with Eric, the youngest bro (foster) and the bonniest of em all :) I gave it 4 stars just because Eric is such a cute, lovable character - a 'bonny mon' - just tickles me! Are Scotsmen really this charming?! ha ha
Jadzia
Where does the high ranking come from? I didn't find anything truly remarkable about this book. The feelings seemed flat, the storyline was boring, the heroine was irritating... Definitely not my kind of book.

Ah, and to top it all - awful translation.
Cindy
Jan 05, 2015 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Hannah Howell

I read her other books and went through those quickly because they were such great reads. I then found the highland series and have not been disappointed.
Staci
Mar 01, 2011 Staci rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel starts off better than the previous two in this series but it flounders once the two main characters are married. Sometimes the female protagonist, Bethia, is so naive you want to shake her. It takes her forever to realize the faults with her parents. Also, she is too easily tricked so that there are actually too many times in the book where she could have been killed despite the predictable happy ending of the book. Plus, the reasoning behind her dislike of Eric, the male protagonist ...more
cjwynn1994
Jul 12, 2016 cjwynn1994 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome read!!!

Hannah never disappoints her readers!!! Can't wait to start the next in the trilogy!!! While finishing this book I'm already downloading the next!!!!
Ariana
Oct 01, 2013 Ariana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really hate the main female character Bethia! She just pissed me off so much. There were several times in this book I wanted to slap the hell out of Bethia! OMG! She was such a push over and let things slide to easily. Example: Hell no would I let my husbands former lover hang all over him in front of me while maintaining a sweet calm expression. (I would beat the bitch!!!) Ugh!!! Eric was a good guy, I liked him. Hardly no complaints on him. It's just stupid Bethia! I Hate that the dumb bitch ...more
Leanne Wyszkowski
Now this is the kind of story I have been waiting for from this series! Main characters that I am cheering for and a plot that keeps me interested. I think Eric truly found his match.
Christine Brand
Nov 01, 2014 Christine Brand rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
VERY GOOD

I really had an enjoyable experience reading this book. Never thought how at times good looks can be as much a burden as being different.
Julie
Nov 28, 2015 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pleasant read with a heroine in need and her gallant rescuer. A fine book for an evening read. Not a "stand-out", but still an adventure worth sharing.
Diana
May 23, 2008 Diana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On his way to reclaim the lands that are rightfully his, Sir Eric Murray comes across Bethia Drummond and her nephew James under attack. Bethia has taken her nephew and is fleeing from the murderous relatives who have already killed her sister and her sister's husband in order to seize their lands for themselves.

Eric and Bethia are a compelling and likable couple, who get along perfectly from the beginning (which is always refreshing). There's a lot of the action storylines, with several land-se
Angel
Aug 14, 2015 Angel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eric we knew was going to grow to be a fine young man thanks to his adopted family, but when he first stumbles across small Bethia with baby James strapped to her something in him sparks....Bethia is used to be the overlooked shadow yet handsome Eric seems to want her....between a mad man trying to kill her and her nephew and Eric having to fight for the land that is rightfully his will they ever see the love shining in the others eyes....onto the next
Kaila
Feb 23, 2014 Kaila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it but got a little impatient for some reason
K
Jan 24, 2012 K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of historical romance
Recommended to K by: fan of series/websites
I must admit, I am quickly becoming addicted to this series and the Murray clan. As with the other books, I def enjoyed this book finding it a fun, enjoyable, read that once started I could not put down. One of the things I loved was seeing the growth and maturity of Bethia's character. I'm also liking Howell's description of Scotland and its warriors. I mean, who hasn't dreamed of a handsome knight coming to the rescue. Anywho, I would recommend this book to fans of historical romance and can't ...more
Jul 04, 2015 Laura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring. Nothing much happened.
Christal Ratliff
I couldn't finish this book because of the way the speech was written. I simply couldn't lose myself in the story because I was too busy translating from Scottish accents to words I could understand. By the time I gave up reading it I was ready to yell "I know, they're Scottish! I GET IT!". It would have been a great book except for that. Because this seems to be the theme in Hannah Howell's books, I won't be reading any more by her.
Bridget
Dec 15, 2012 Bridget rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eric Murray begins to achieve his birthright, both acknowledgement by his mother's family and to acquire his stronghold, currently in control of a relative of his deceased father. He meets Bethia, who is escaping with her baby nephew, and Eric assists her. Of course, they fall in love, etc. Howell actually does a nice job of twisting her plots to maintain interest. Not formulaic except in the boy meets girl part. Enjoyable and sexy.
Kathrynn
Jun 14, 2015 Kathrynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Readers
This is the first in the Murray books, but the author's website states they are all meant as stand-alones. Actually, there's no point trying to read them in order because she wrote them out of order. But, I do consider this to be BOOK #1 in the Murray family because this is the parents of all the Murrays. They have a neat story and Eric was one of my favorites even if he was...er...vertically challenged.
Adriana Fogaça
Jul 06, 2013 Adriana Fogaça rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cavaleiro da Noite
Hannah Howell
Bianca 847
1999

Sempre acreditei que há algo de sensual nos gatos, não sei, talvez a forma de se mover, ou ronronar.

Não esperava que a mistura de gato com o lobo fosse ainda mais sensual.

Mas para meu deleite assim o é...

não irei mencionar detalhes...

não se deve estragar a diversão do leitor...

leia que você poderá ronronar também...

Recomendadíssimo!!!

ADORO!!!
Michelle
How can a man ignore a beauty in distress? While assisting the beautiful Bethia, Eric found himself a woman to love. For the most part I enjoyed this novel. The only real complaint was the character of Bethia. She annoyed me to no end. There were many times I really wanted to slap her. I know some people can be insecure, but it was taken a bit too far with her character. All in all, not a bad read.
  • Highland Hearts
  • Highland Scoundrel (Campbell Trilogy, #3)
  • Desiring the Highlander (The McTiernays, #3)
  • Sword of the Highlands (Highlands, #2)
  • The Irresistible MacRae (The Highland Lords, #3)
  • Highland Master (Scottish Knights Trilogy #1)
  • The Angel and the Highlander (Sinclare Brothers, #3)
  • A Highlander's Temptation (MacKenzie, #7)
  • Highlander Ever After (Nvengaria, #3)
  • Return of the Warrior (Brotherhood of the Sword #6)
  • Seduced by the Highlander (Highlander, #3)
  • The Laird Who Loved Me (MacLean Curse, #5)
Hannah Dustin Howell is a best-selling American author of over 40 historical romance novels. Many of her novels are set in medieval Scotland. She also writes under the names Sarah Dustin, Sandra Dustin, and Anna Jennet (see below).

She has also used the following pseudonyms:
Anna Jennet, Sarah Dustin and Sandra Dustin
More about Hannah Howell...

Murray Family (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Highland Destiny (Murray Family, #1)
  • Highland Honor (Murray Family, #2)
  • Highland Vow (Murray Family, #4)
  • Highland Knight  (Murray Family, #5)
  • Highland Bride (Murray Family, #6 & MacEnroys, #1)
  • Highland Angel (Murray Family, #7)
  • Highland Groom (Murray Family, #8 & MacEnroy, #2)
  • Highland Warrior (Murray Family, #9 & MacEnroy, #3)
  • Highland Conqueror (Murray Family, #10)
  • Highland Champion (Murray Family, #11 & Camerons, #2)